Going To Malaysia By Motorbike - Possible?

Thanh-BKK

Hello :o

I am owner of a '94 Yamaha RXZ - a bike that's got the second-longest production run after the Honda Super Cub, but it's no longer available in Thailand since 1995. Now i happen to be member of a Malaysia-based forum that is for RXZ riders, and i have been growing the following idea to get a brand-new (almost!) RXZ:

Pack mine old RXZ on a train and go to Hat Yai, southern Thailand. Then ride on (with the bike) to the border and cross into Malaysia. Meet folks from the malaysian forum and have a nice trip to Kuala Lumpur (some 500 kilometers). There buy brand new RXZ, don't register but instead transfer ALL parts except the engine case with the number on it to the old frame. Possible because frames and engines in the 2007 model are still identical to the 1994 model. Then sell of old parts for cheap (RXZ forumer's can use those stuff still) and return on basically brand new bike (except frame and right engine case!) to Thailand, take train back to Bangkok.

Since i keep the old frame and the old right engine case, neither number has changed and the green book is still valid - the rest of the bike is also still a Yamaha RXZ but with 2007 styling and all. Of course it's not 100% legal but i leave the country with an RXZ and come back with one that has the same numbers, so what?

Now the question is - is it possible at all to get from Thailand to Malaysia in first place, using a motorbike? It's registered in my friend's name but i have the book and all.

I assume that transporting a motorbike the size of an RXZ is possible on the train to Hat Yai?

I have a German, a Thai and an expired international driver's license for cars and motorbikes, so that should not be a problem.

Do i need international insurance or something? The length of the trip would be a week max (getting there, doing the bike, having some fun and getting back).

Lastly - as i keep my old frame etc, is there ANY problem upon re-entering Thailand? As the bike will OBVIOUSLY be a hel_l of a lot newer than what's in the book. Do the border police care for that?

I appreciate any advice on this......

with kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Personally have crossed the border twice on a motorbike which wasn't in my name with no insurance but with a valid international licence. It is possible to ride straight throught the customs area and then walk back to handle the formalities. Have done it once in a car without problems but the last time I was stopped just past the checkpoint and sent back to organise insurance and have stick-on numberplates made. They gave me lee-way on the translation of log book and thai licence.

Am not recommending you do, just explaining my story. Will not push the 'ignorance' line next time

Thanh, it sounds very clever, but why not get your pride and joy in your own name?

Hi :o

Well when i got the bike i didn't have the required visa class to have it registered to myself - and the second point is that INITIALLY this bike wasn't meant to be for me anyway, i did buy it (round the corner where i live) for that friend of mine and i was to keep it until he had fully paid it (in small installments to me). And then his stupid girlfriend didn't like it! So i got to keep it.... but it was already registered in his name.

And once i got my non-B visa i was actually able to have it transferred, but a problem arose - said friend had served some time in the slammer meantime (yabaa user) and afterwards moved away - so now i have a bike and no idea where to find the guy who's name is in the book :D I got the book too, so there's no problem on that - however since his signature or even presence is required to transfer it, well... i'm screwed. I can and do pay the insurance and tax and stuff..... so i guess it wouldn't matter.

But how do i get to Malaysia then..?

Best regards....

Thanh