Maxnet Blocks Ftp

melonf

Whilst Maxnet indy (2Meg) works well for web browsing it sometime blocks FTP for long periods (particularly at weekends suggesting that maybe they are blocking p2p traffic and FTP gets caught up in the block)

Does anybody have a reliable broadband connection that also allows FTP...If so which company?

I need to find an ISP that actually provides a service.

KSC Commercial

NOT cheap, 1900 per month for 512/256, BUT I get my full 512 download most of the time on international P2P if I don't throttle it.

Nothing blocked except the standard P2P ports.

It's been up continuously for 6 months :o

Helpful helpdesk in English.

NOTE I'm in Pathumthani, other areas may not get such reliable service, YMMV

Edited by Crossy

FTP blocking? Shocking! :o

I'm not sure what security or volume usage circumstance would want to make them do that. I have the 2 meg Maxnet service too, and FTP works okay for me. At least when I've used it, which isn't that often. It's pretty essential for web page development, etc.

Are users trying to use the FTP port for file sharing? Usually they use port 80 (http) if other ports don't work.

UC

Many thanks

The FTP works sometimes when the Bandwidth hobbling isn't kicked in

Just reading the thread

Bandwith Throttling/shaping With Tt&t

It explains what is going on and suggests some workarouds like using FTP set on port 20/21 (active mode)

I need to find an ISP that actually provides a service.

Best of luck with that quest in Thailand!

This weekend torrents have been coming down very fast on Maxnet 2560/512. I just got Heroes series 2 ep. 10 and Journeyman series 1 ep. 2 in a few hours. Nothing to do with ftp of course, but sometimes the ISPs do a good job. :o

How much control of the FTP server do you have, if any? Can you change ports?

The first thing I would try is using SFTP instead which uses port 22 by default. If you can control port numbers on the server, do that as well. Using encrypyted traffic on a non-standard port might be enough to get the speeds back to normal.

Thanks for the FTP tips

I have CuteFTP and was inspired to check out the help pages.

I found that I could turn passive mode off and this nakes FTP work on port 20/21 (which I had to enable on my firewall). These low numbered ports seem ok on Maxnet and FTP is now working just fine

I found that I could turn passive mode off and this nakes FTP work on port 20/21 (which I had to enable on my firewall). These low numbered ports seem ok on Maxnet and FTP is now working just fine

Ah, that would explain why I've had no problems using FTP with my TT&T ADSL home package. I don't use passive mode.

After reading your opening post, I had been holding my breath each time I used FTP, wondering if I would be able to establish an FTP connection. I'm relieved to know it was not just "luck" but rather that I'm using port(s) that are not blocked/shaped by TT&T.

As I lamented in another thread, increasingly I cannot use Windows Live Mail to access my AOL e-mail accounts. Occasionally I can connect, but increasingly I cannot. That is how my access to a company mainframe was until it came to the point where I could *never* make a connection. My guess is that the app that I use to access the company mainframe uses ports that are blocked or shaped. Ditto now for AOL e-mail via Windows Live Mail?

Here's an interesting test:

http://www.auditmypc.com/firewall-test.asp

Based on my router and firewall settings, I should have ports open that the advance test tells me are not open.

Now either this means that Maxnet/TTT is blocking me or it's lying.

At one point, port 21 (FTP) was open, but later it appeared closed (after I started a gnutella client). The Gnutella client and torrent client ports did not appear open. My Gnutella client complains, which is what started my search, but the last time I ran my torrent client it told me things were okay.

Strange. :o

I'm actually testing with Shareaza right now. Gnutella2 and eDongkey seem okay, but Gnutella1 can't connect. It seems to be working with torrents through the standard Gnutella port. The last time I ran Shareaza, a few weeks ago, using a higher port, it work flawlessly. I'm wondering now if that was before my shift from Hinet to Maxnet.

UC