The Khuang Singh Tunnel Is Finally Open!

chanchao

Well, that only took like 5 years to build.. :o So I noticed today that the tunnel at the Chotana (Mae Rim Rd) and Superhighway intersection is finally in use!

But... I was on Chotana Road, wondering what the traffic jam was.. Spent like 10 MINUTES trying to get past that intersection (the tunnel goes in the direction of the Superhighway, for everyone else it's back to traffic lights again..

So.. it now actually takes LONGER to negotiate that intersection North-South than it did during construction.. because during construction, traffic was led around the construction site, creating a de-facto roundabout... And all of us smart Farlangs fo course know that roundabouts work very very well in keeping traffic flowing smoothly..

It's sad because there WOULD be enough space to do a roundabout on top of the tunnel..

But alas.. Back to traffic lights, and with pretty brain-dead timing on them as well. I feel sorry for all yous Mae Rim people (Mae Rim dwellers? Mae Rimmers?)

Thanks for the sorry , you are absolutely right .

It is nice to see it open , but bad for the lungs ......

I do ride towards Mae rim often and its not the only

slow finished construction I have to bear , what about

from Maeteng to Chiang dao , oasis of dust .... so delightful .

At least we know now before getting to happy , it will take a

looooooong time before we can enjoy it , not even to speak if

it really does improve the present infrastructure .

Guess the thought counts . :o

Yah.. :o Speaking of speed, the widening and re-surfascing of the Canal Road from the Samoeng Intersection all the way to the end in Sanpatong really was done at lightning speed... And boy is it fast now!! It's completely incredible, and if and when that gets turned into full separate lanes it may get even faster.