Life Advice

Storekeeper

Would you advise me to jump off the work force train at age 45 if I could get budget 100,000 baht a month from a pension to live in Thailand? Or stay in the work force a couple more years and get it to 120,000?

Unless you have some hobbies or pastimes which will seriously employ your time and engage your mind when you retire, I would definitely suggest you keep working - either in your present career or in another after you leave the military.

I tried retiring at an age somewhat younger than you plan to - for the first 3 months or so it was great, but after that it began to be a drain on my lifestyle and even my marriage; when you have no real incentive to get out of bed in the morning you'd be surprised how long the days can be.

Do I recall that you have a Thai wife? If so the amount would be more positive than without as the current long term visa extensions would require almost your entire income and could increase faster than your pension.

You should be in a good position to enjoy your life and if you have children to be there for them. You are in a very much better position than most. Good luck.

As long as you can find a use for your time do not believe longer service for the extra pay would be required. So as they say: "up to you".

Would you advise me to jump off the work force train at age 45 if I could get budget 100,000 baht a month from a pension to live in Thailand? Or stay in the work force a couple more years and get it to 120,000?

I'd go for the extra 20K--or more.

Lots of different opinions here, store.

As people have pointed out, 100K is a very good salary in Thailand. If you want to retire now you can do it very comfortably in LOS on that. Are you the sort of person who can retire at 45 though? If you are go for it :o If you're the sort of person who may get bored doing that, work a few more years. :D

Either way the choice is yours, financially you'll have a lot more than many other expats living in Thailand. I know many people who get by with 25K/month here. Not for me, but if it makes you happy that's all that counts. :D

Since you cannot take the pension and then change your

mind, I would hang in there until you feel you are sure

it is time to hang it up. One year more and you will get

10KB I presume, so you do not have to decide now.

You are indeed very fortunate to be able to retire at

such a young age. And you did earn it.

As said, 100KB will let you live very well here, but 20%

in two years is a very nice return. And your 2% inflation

protection is very nice indeed. If it is like my pension,

it can go above 2% if inflation roars again.

A few (but not many) years older than you I have no work after selling my UK company,and my Thai venture came to nothing I have about as much coming in as you from investments from the sale, but in the 5 months I have been not working it is now becoming a real chore to do the smallest of things. I am bored senseless, its only having a new house built and having to watch over it that keeps me going.

I have got to find something else to do. They say retirement can be the biggest killer and when you have nothing to do all day but sit around watching DVDs and drinking beer that is so true.

When my visa expires in April I have 3 choices:

Start a new comapany and get a work visa

Get a Retirement visa

Get a married to a Thai Visa.

By the way do you qualify for a visa to retire here, you are not over 50, so I assume you are married to a Thai ?

All the best whatever you decide to do but again IMHO keep going a bit longer

All,

Yes, I've been married to a Thai lady now for about 6 months. But as far as retiring goes it's a really difficult decision. After 26 years in the Navy and contractually obligated for 2 more I gotta tell you I'm worn down mentally. I might be able to stretch it to 29 years but no way 30. And I do believe I'll be bored senseless if I don't have something to do...and it won't be chugging Chang beer either. Some of you are recognizing my postings so you might have also seen I've posted questions about various universities since I've got what they call the GI Bill. That will pay me $985 a month for 36 months to go to school. I've figured that after uni expenses I'll still have about 25K baht left over every month. Can also do a little volunteer English teaching for about 30K baht a month or more. I also might be able to network myself into a civil service job at JUSMAG or some other slots I know of....with time. I guess what I'm after is assurance that no matter what happens I'll look back with no regrets. I guess I'm talking myself into gradually. Thanks again to all.

I spent a year living in a hut on a beach, and I never got bored. I just developed a schedule of waking with the sun, going for a swim to 'feed the fish', breakfast, newspaper...more swimming, maybe a book or a nap or a listen to VOA or BBC...Another swim, dinner, chill out alone with a book or chatting with friends. I enjoyed every day of this..... :D

Now, I'm retired in CM (49), and enjoying the fact I can do anything I want, whenever I want...So, some computer, some swimming, maybe a cruise in the countryside or cruising the plant markets...and whatever else strikes my fancy, and I have lots of interests if I want to do them...

From my view, if you feel like you want to chuck the rat race NOW, there's likely a good reason for that, and waiting a few more years could be needless self-torture....

100,000 baht is plenty to live comfortably on, but live like a king? It's all relative, right? There's lots of cool stuff to spend your money on....

You should also consider that, at some point, that 100,000 won't go as far as it does now. 25 years ago, you really could live like a King on that :o

Best of luck to you.

Ajarn, you have it sorted, I just hope that when move to my own house in CM in two weeks time that I can develop a lifestyle similar to yours, problem for me is l like a "wee dram" so I am gonna have to control myself, it ain't half hard NOT to want to drink a beer or two or three or...... when you are lazzing by your pool on a sunny afternoon.

I want to take up golf but my back and leg are giving me real greif so golf maybee not the best sport, perhaps I should take up fishing, never thought about it before but freinds of mine say its very relaxing, but I am afraid I would get bored, I am also interested in doing some meaningful charity work, is this possible in CM?

Any comments?

Ajarn, you have it sorted, I just hope that when  move to my own house in CM in two weeks time that I can develop a lifestyle similar to yours, problem for me is l like a "wee dram"  so I am gonna have to control myself, it ain't half hard NOT to want to drink a beer or two or three or...... when you are lazzing by your pool on a sunny afternoon.

I want to take up golf but my back and leg are giving me real greif so golf maybee not the best sport, perhaps I should take up fishing, never thought about it before but freinds of mine say its very relaxing, but I am afraid I would get bored, I am also interested in doing some meaningful charity work, is this possible in CM?

Any comments?

One thing sure about this place, ANYTHING is possible. It's the best, and worst, things about this place :D

When you feel like it, drop me a PM if you'd like some ideas on ways to help support some of the locals...

TP, I hope things work out well for you. And I hope you're able to avoid the pitfalls I experienced (I tend to learn best the hard way) :D

The pool is actually a physical therapy pool, but it has also had an enourmous impact on my well-being, too. A real sense of Peace. Building my pool was possibly the best decision I've ever made...

TP, I hope you find your 'pool', too :o

From my view, if you feel like you want to chuck the rat race NOW, there's likely a good reason for that, and waiting a few more years could be needless self-torture....

100,000 baht is plenty to live comfortably on, but live like a king? It's all relative, right?

These two paragraphs are exactly where I'm at right now. I'm ready to chuck it and at the same time wondering if an extra 10K a month is really worth sweating over in the bigger scheme of things. You're all helpful...thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience.

Go for it,with 100,000 a month you will live very well.

If you are bored, open a small buissines, shop or something, grow some stuff, do some volentery "work".

I think it was you that was asking about Pichit, well with 100,000 a month you will live very comfertably and still have enough for frequent trips down to the beach, or chaing mai/BKK.

Cheers RC

Can anyone answer this?? If he lived in Thailand would he have to get a retirement visa? Or just a work visa? I am wondering because when I retire I want to live in Thailand 6 months out of the year Thanks

Storekeeper is married to a Thai -he can therefore apply for "Married to Thai" Visa

Nice ThaiPauly, two weeks away form moving to CM....

About your leg and back, try some "light" yoga, great stretching and I bet would help.

Then hit the golf course and take it easy.

About fishing,,, yes I bet it is relaxing, but not for the fish.:o)

Nice ThaiPauly, two weeks away form moving to CM....

About your leg and back, try some "light" yoga, great stretching and I bet would help.

Then hit the golf course and take it easy.

About fishing,,, yes I bet it is relaxing, but not for the fish.:o)

That pool is also great for your legs and back :D

You only mention your retirement funds. Do you have any investments being

that you have been in the military so long. Anyways you have a couple years

to save some cash and pick up some extra money through wise investing.

I know many retired military in Thailand that live on much less. Do not buy

for a few years unless you are quite sure about where you want to stay and what you want to do. Webster university in Hua Hin is an accredited school that will accept

the GI bill. They are out of St louis. I have a friend finishing up his degree now

and he picks up a few extra $$ teaching for them also. I think he got his condo

on the beach through the school for something like 5000B a month and it is a nice place next to the kings complex so crime is not a problem. Have another friend who has a pub in the same place who just retired from the military but sure he does not get the retirement you get. Good Luck and I can get you contact with them if you pm me an e-mail address.

hi'

100,000 baht is plenty to live comfortably on, but live like a king? It's all relative, right? There's lots of cool stuff to spend your money on....

You should also consider that, at some point, that 100,000 won't go as far as it does now. 25 years ago, you really could live like a King on that wink.gif

100% agreed :o

if I could have the same opportunity that you have ...

I won't be here (in Europe) trying to find a way out as soon as I can be able to do it ...

go for it, and live happy :D

cheers and good luck

francois