Black Chickens

bunta71

Been seeing these in the supermarkets and wondering what are they,why are they, is there a particular way to prepare them ? We aren't talking black feathers here either. My aunt used to cook her chicken till it was almost black but I'm thinking these aren't hers...256p.gif

Thanks for the link...They are new to me and I will try one of the recipes from your link. I also checked them out on ask dot com and see that they are highly regarded in China but then so is ground rhino horn.

I tried them at a Chinese friends party......nuff said :o

Been seeing these in the supermarkets and wondering what are they,why are they, is there a particular way to prepare them ? We aren't talking black feathers here either. My aunt used to cook her chicken till it was almost black but I'm thinking these aren't hers..

Many Thai and some farung including me believe that black chickens are tastier than the white ones. In Mai Rim I used to ask for Khao Soi Gai Dam. The meat has black skin and considerably darker than the white ones and to my mind tastes much better in these sorts of meals. For normal bbq type chicken though the black ones become very tough.

When I first was living up at Mae Rim the black chickens and the black dogs disappeared as soon as it got cold. The story was that by eating them you would ward of the cold and not get sick over winter. Bear in mind that most houses were teak which is not reknown for their wind proofing between the boards and getting a cold was pretty serious. For the four or five months over the wet and then cold season it was pretty difficult finding any animal coloured black in the area they all seemed to end up in a pot somewhere. We had to chain up our black dog all the time and keep her on a lead when she went for a walk lest my neighbours took after her with a cleaver and a saucepan full of hot water.

For those of you wondering Khao Soi Maa Dam (black dog) is quite strong but very flavoursome. In wararot fresh market it was also known as hairy pork.

CB

I like "khao soi" very much but didn't know there is "khao soi maa dam", scary for me, hmmm I guess I would order "khao soi chicken leg" only :D .

I try not to eat "moo yor" from unknown brand after hearing the story some of them made from dog meat. What else? :o .

I like "khao soi" very much but didn't know there is "khao soi maa dam", scary for me, hmmm I guess I would order "khao soi chicken leg" only :D .

I try not to eat "moo yor" from unknown brand after hearing the story some of them made from dog meat. What else? :o .

Don't worry about it. Just woof it down. You might wake up a little ruff in the morning but it all tastes good.