Taxis To Raise Fares

sriracha john

I was unaware of the taxi shortage in Bangkok.
you beat me to it!!!

The amount of supply suggest that Taxi drivers are making a level of income which covers the rental and then pays enough for them. BKK traffic would be significantly better if there were less taxi's about.

Totally agree. There are so many taxis in bkk that the job of "taxi driver" must still be attractive to Thais. Having said that, it is truly amazing that there has been no change for at least 8 years that I can remember given the doubling of fuel cost.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that we are ALL human and come into this world and go out, in exactly the same way,

Eh? :o I don't think I'll be going out the same way I came into this world - my mum will certainly be dead by then and I definitely won't fit...

Fair enough.

However, and as usual, the article has no relevant details.

How many % the increase ? This is what we need to know.

It seems that they would like to reduce the distance per meter-unit, instead of increasing the price of meter-unit.

So obviously it wouldn't change a lot the price of very short drives. But it could for long trips.

Second comment : Thais are not very good at inflation management... Instead of doing several small hikes... They are proud to maintain the statu quo for a very long time.

Taxi fares... but price of Mama Soup too (same since 1997) !

:o

And this is why now everybody is shocked when they announce that they want to increase the price of their product.... by 20 %...

Good GRIEF!

Let them have their fare increase and then tip generously for good service!

I know quite a few taxi drivers personally and they are regular Joe's trying to put their kids through school. Sure, there are some jerks (stay away from the blue/red!), but most are regular guys barely getting by.

For Sheeezush sake!

Given the various comments about how terrible it is to increase fares I can only guess that some of you blokes never took a taxi back home. Fares, compared to other costs, are quite cheap here. There has not been an increase in a dog's age but the price of fuel has doubled in the last 4 years. Fair dinkum, I am convinced people reckon prices should remain the same for ever. Hardly realistic is it !

:D Bangkok taxis are the best, come to Samui and pay extortionate fares, all meters are switched off and a 5km journey is 300/400bt. The boys in brown do nothing.

You got that right, and if you're unaware of this and won't pay, he'll drive you to some place off the beaten track, and let you figure it out. There is a few OK drivers, but FEW! :o:D

Given that we are ALL human and come into this world and go out, in exactly the same way,

Eh? :o I don't think I'll be going out the same way I came into this world - my mum will certainly be dead by then and I definitely won't fit...

Mmmm...I see what you mean. Though I have it on some authority that both the in and the out stage are some what of a @_nt act. :D

Taxis to Raise Fare Following LPG Price Hike

This follows requests by taxi operators for a fare hike as the fares have not gone up for over a decade but costs have gone up with the increases in the prices of oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Didn't the fares go up three years ago? I seem to remember they were 27/28 Bt and then they jumped to 35 Bt. Am I missing something here?

The fares have been at 35 baht base fare for at least the last 5 years, since I've been here. They are incredibly cheap, and the drivers should certainly get an increase, in line with fuel and cost of living adjustments. Should have been done a few years ago imo.

I agree.. It's so cheap for taxi's in Thailand. I remember 2 years ago when I went back to the UK I paid 25 pounds for a 15 min taxi ride in Bath (Somerset) plus 5 pounds tip which I'm sure the driver gave me that 'What a meenie' look.

The fares have been at 35 baht base fare for at least the last 5 years, since I've been here. They are incredibly cheap, and the drivers should certainly get an increase, in line with fuel and cost of living adjustments. Should have been done a few years ago imo.

So Sorry.. But in my Humble, but Educated opinion.. Bangkok Taxi drivers deserve NO Fare Hikes, unless some other conditions are attached.. and I KNOW from where I talk... I drove a cab in Montreal Canada for many years.. a Market that has far too many taxis to serve it's potential customer base.. and I also include Years off taking taxis in NYC.. also a very competitive market...

Do you Know that it is ILLEGAL for a Bangkok Taxi driver to REFUSE a Fare.. Well it is. That's a Fact..

It's also illegal for them to dump you when ever and wherever they feel like.. just because there is suddenly a little bit of traffic.

It is also illegal for them to ignore your instructions and take you by any way they feel like.

These are basic rules and laws for taxi drivers in every major city internationally.

It is also NOT your responsibility to have the correct change. It a business.. it's the drivers responsibility. They do.. don't take their word for the fact that they don't.. if they don't.. then they should NOT have picked you up.

They should NOT stop if they are late to return their car because their shift is ending... If you get in the car they MUST take you... anywhere you want to go. It is up to them to budget their time properly.. just like other people.

Driving taxi is a service profession.. and like other service profession that rely on tips to increase their incomes, they need to learn that service pays.. Ripping off their customer's doesn't.

Have you ever heard such a sorry excuse for not wanting to work like "Rotik" (TRAFFIC) .. Rotik.. This is Bangkok you lazy bum... You make money when the meter ticks and the wheels turn.. with a fare in the car.. Rotik.. Bangkok has Traffic.. If you don't want to drive in Traffic.. then go back to the rice field. BUT.. Don't blame the Traffic because you are too greedy and lazy to work... You don't like having to shift and change gears in Traffic jams, then pressure your Bosses to get "AUTOMATIC Transmissions.. get rid of those antiquated clutches... It is the 21st century.. but you wouldn't know.. after all you do live in a feudal system in the dark ages.. of Thai Traffic control.

Why do Bkk taxi drivers want the short trip only.. Because they only really make money on the meter "Drop".. that's the first charge when they turn it on.. now 35 Baht... The more Drops an hour the more they make... They forget about all the fuel they use cruising and looking for the next fare.

Driving a cab is a gambling business.. you never know where the next fare will take you... If the fates are in your favour.. you get a Pattaya gig.. Or a bunch of successive drops... But hey.. the next guy that gets in your cab after you waited 5 hours at the airport wants to go to Lat Krabang... Just next door.. Bad Luck.. but that's the game.. you don't want to play.. better get out of it.

And it is NOT my responsibility to know Bangkok.. It's the Drivers.. and the governments, to insure adequate, knowledgeable drivers.. Not Hold-Up artists like in Sumui.. and Cheats like in Bangkok, where they always are in a Rush to take the tollway... I DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE TOLLWAY!!!!!!!!

I don't care if it takes 10 minutes more to get someplace... The tollway is further to travel than the city streets.. and the meter charges more for Distance than Time... and I'm in your cab.. I'm paying.. I just hired you... I'm the Boss.

The laws are on the Books.. If they want an increase in Fare let them earn it... Let them show that they deserve it.. let then show that they can provide adequate and legal service... and let the police stop chasing their collective tails and INFORCE something besides collecting their monthly allotment of Tea-Money.

I have taken Cabs in Hong Kong, Taipei, Seoul, Guandong (Mainland China,), and Kuala Lumpur...

Only KL has worse taxi service.

An ABUSED and IRATE Frequent Passenger

:o CS :D

Taxis to Raise Fare Following LPG Price Hike

This follows requests by taxi operators for a fare hike as the fares have not gone up for over a decade but costs have gone up with the increases in the prices of oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

Didn't the fares go up three years ago? I seem to remember they were 27/28 Bt and then they jumped to 35 Bt. Am I missing something here?

I agree.. It's so cheap for taxi's in Thailand. I remember 2 years ago when I went back to the UK I paid 25 pounds for a 15 min taxi ride in Bath (Somerset) plus 5 pounds tip which I'm sure the driver gave me that 'What a meenie' look.

You give him a 20% tip!!! I think the "what a meanie" look was really "what a plonker" :o

A rate increase is long past due. In the past year or so, I always give a decent tip when they deserve it. Unfortunately they don't know that when they pick me up. For that reason they sometimes refuse to take me somewhere that traffic is heavy. Raising the rates should and I believe will improve the already acceptable service.

My only problem with taxi drivers is that there aren't enough of them (I'm sure many of the posters here will disagree). I've lived in a major section of bangkok for quite some time now and there has been so many occurences where I am stranded on the side of the street unable to get a taxi. I have been stuck on the side of a major road trying to get a taxi for 30 minutes (even more than an hour once) many times with every single one passing by already occupied. I rarely have them refuse a fare if they do stop...it's just getting an unoccupied one in the first place that's a problem!

There are many areas of Bangkok where it's next to impossible to get a taxi during rush hour.

Ever try getting a taxi leaving the local mall around 7:00 on a saturday?

Try getting a taxi on a weekday at 6:00 in front of pratunam...

How easy is it to get a taxi when the rain starts?

If the higher fares will get more taxis on the street then I'm all for it.

A rate increase is long past due. In the past year or so, I always give a decent tip when they deserve it. Unfortunately they don't know that when they pick me up. For that reason they sometimes refuse to take me somewhere that traffic is heavy. Raising the rates should and I believe will improve the already acceptable service. .

NO.. NO... NO...

They will only take the extra money and RUN.... There is no incentive for improving service if they get a Hike free of Charge.

Bkk Taxi drivers are already looking for the cheap way to make their Nut (Daily cost of Business)... Why should they change their ways if they don't have to.

They will still try and avoid heavy traffic.. Its a habit now.. and BAD habits are always hard to break.

Incentive.. Tell them they can get it.. They have a legitimate reason.. but ONLY When they stop ripping off passengers, and ply there trade honorably.

And I know the good get penalized with the Bad.. But it's up to the good to set the standard...

OH.. I almost forgot.. another ILLEGAL Scam -

It is ILLEGAL to refuse to take you to a second location (after dropping somebody off) unless they turn off and restart the Meter... They must take you, without doing restarting the meter. It's Just another SCAM to get a Second "DROP".

Remember.. You hired the taxi from the moment you enter until you pay the meter and Exit....

BTW... The number to call to report a Taxi Scam in Bangkok is - SH*T.. I lost it. :o

CS

A rate increase is long past due. In the past year or so, I always give a decent tip when they deserve it. Unfortunately they don't know that when they pick me up. For that reason they sometimes refuse to take me somewhere that traffic is heavy. Raising the rates should and I believe will improve the already acceptable service. .

NO.. NO... NO...

They will only take the extra money and RUN.... There is no incentive for improving service if they get a Hike free of Charge.

Bkk Taxi drivers are already looking for the cheap way to make their Nut (Daily cost of Business)... Why should they change their ways if they don't have to.

They will still try and avoid heavy traffic.. Its a habit now.. and BAD habits are always hard to break.

Incentive.. Tell them they can get it.. They have a legitimate reason.. but ONLY When they stop ripping off passengers, and ply there trade honorably.

And I know the good get penalized with the Bad.. But it's up to the good to set the standard...

OH.. I almost forgot.. another ILLEGAL Scam -

It is ILLEGAL to refuse to take you to a second location (after dropping somebody off) unless they turn off and restart the Meter... They must take you, without doing restarting the meter. It's Just another SCAM to get a Second "DROP".

Remember.. You hired the taxi from the moment you enter until you pay the meter and Exit....

BTW... The number to call to report a Taxi Scam in Bangkok is - SH*T.. I lost it. :o

CS

You mean the tourist police? 55555555 in Samui.

I've been here for about two years and always thought the fares were very good value. Cheaper than tuktuks and not bad at all for an air conditioned cab and door to door service. My short trips are only about 40 - 60 baht.

Most of them will use the meter if you ask them to. However if you are trying to catch one from MBK during peak hour you usually get the standard response "150 baht, traffic jam, traffic jam ! "

In that case we have the BTS or strike up a deal :-)

I concur with the argument that taxi fares are already sufficiently high to attract more willing participants than are necessary to service the population. It is simple economics.

Whilst the flag fall has not increased since the 90's that I know of, are people saying that the distance you travel for the first Bt35 has not altered (shortened) since then. That I cannot believe. Were that to be true, then taxi drivers have been overpaid for years.

Will people stop trying to compare it to "back home". This is Thailand.

you know. some say one of the reason s they cum here is to enjoy the cheap taxis.

:D Exactly, I come to JUST drive in taxi's all day for my 4 wwk vacation, since it's soo cheap! :D :D

:o

Not on Samui, it isn't!

Samui is a different world has it's own rules, sorry 'no rules'. Do the locals, farang residents and tourists a huge favour if they were forced to abandon their 'island mentality' and follow Thai law, such as it is. Sorry change of subject I know.

About 5 years ago i used once a taxi from Bang Na to Rangsit (Highway) and i payd about 160 Baht for the trip. 3 hours later i used another taxi for the same way back, to return from Rangsit to Bang Na (Highway) and i payd about 350 Baht, for the trip

Both taxidriver used the meter. Highway fees i payd seperatly both ways.

I don't really care about, but what's wrong here? Modified taximeter???

I have been in a taxi about twice in the last 6 years, the guys were great and un and did a goo job. My only question is what is what is up with all the new taxi's, they clog the road, troll the inside lanes and 50% are empty, someone has a scam going on in Taxi sales

I've been here for about two years and always thought the fares were very good value. Cheaper than tuktuks and not bad at all for an air conditioned cab and door to door service. My short trips are only about 40 - 60 baht.

Most of them will use the meter if you ask them to. However if you are trying to catch one from MBK during peak hour you usually get the standard response "150 baht, traffic jam, traffic jam ! "

In that case we have the BTS or strike up a deal :-)

Ya.. Thai taxi prices are a great deal.. but so are New York Taxi prices... SO WHAT !!!!

Every time you "Strike up a deal" you feed Thai corruption... and Teach Taxi that they can get away with it.

You are also making it harder and harder to reform the system. Corruption feeds on suckers and the weak.

A Deal is no excuse for allowing yourself to be Ripped off...

But like PT Barnum said... "Never give a sucker an even break".

And Thai taxi drivers know that there will be another Farang sucker along pretty soon to allow themselves to get scammed and ripped off. "Because it's so cheap".. Bull Sh*t

BTW... I have a nice Bridge I'm trying to sell.. Or maybe a nice Wat, by the river... Previous owner is a real Hi-So guy... Only used it for ceremonial occasions...

The only way that you will stop the double standards is to refuse to be a sucker.. and maybe teach the Thais, how to stand up for themselves too...

They know that they are getting abused and ripped off too.. but they just don't know that they can complain, or that they don't have to accept it.

If you aren't willing to fight it.. then bend over... You'll certainly get what you deserve.

CS

Our good old friend, INFLATION kicking in................ :D

All that unsupported debt.......

First it was the Sub Prime mortgage

now they are talking about all the accumulated Credit Card debt.......... :D

And which country has run up the most debt???

Answers on a post card. :o

I wish I could get someone to write off my debts. :D

What is the prognosis on Thai interest rates to try and counteract it all??

The drivers make very little unless they own their taxi. Pay to rent, pay for fuel and a cut of the total fare to owner. In some cases they only rent for 4 hours and have to return to shop for the turn around. The driver is not getting rich.