142 Divorces In Just 3 Months Between Thais And Foreigners In One City

sriracha john

Personally I think there is something wrong with this story. There are quite a few Farangs in and around where I live, and although one hears about a divorce here and there, its not common. Khon Kaen must have a VERY large population of Farangs married to Thai women. My observation of Thai Farang marriages is that Thai women will put up with a lot more sh*t, as compared with their western counterparts, as long as the husband provides for the family, and or, does not cause them to loose face.

Yes, these nasty face losing problems with the Farangs. How happy I am, that, as I Westerner, a troublesome Asian wife can never make me lose my face, only misplace it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, personally I don't recognize 'marriage' as such as a legal construct, mostly because I think marriage is a private/family matter that the government should have no business with, and ESPECIALLY not the Thai government.

So that's why I got married, but didn't register it. It's simply none of the governments business, and with the Mrs owning a company, I don't trust Thai governments enough to keep laws and regulations fair for Thai citizens married to foreigners. It also guarantees I don't become a statistic. :D I think governments should stay the <deleted> out of people's private lives.

Actually I don't trust my own government either.. Look at what supposedly civilized Western countries inflict upon their male citizens upon divorce.. It's ludicrous and I want no part in it.

Very happily married though, and beautiful daughter. :D

My God Chanchao - for once I'm in absolute and complete agreement with you, and in a position parallel to your own (except that I have a son not a daughter) - does this mean we need to clink a few beers next time we're both in Tuskers at the same time? :o

...I would even suggest its a game many western women know!.......bottom line is don't get married unless you can take the hit.

What a great last comment dee123...love it!

I have NEVER written on any of these forums before and what I am going to ask has no doubt been asked many many times before. And yes, I speak the truth when I say 'I am asking for a friend'! I have no involvement in any Thai ladies at all!

My friend has in the last year married a Thai Lady and is told by his Thai lawyer that the marriage has been registered in UK as well as Thailand. He's had a 3m Baht house built in the north of Thailand and has also purchased a small 'beauty salon' for his wife to work. The land is registered in his wife's mother's name (!!!??) and the house and salon is in his wife's name. There is nothing in his name!

He is now back in UK trying to earn money to go back out to Thailand and live with his new Thai Family. He is convinced that in his absence his Thai wife will seek divorce and everything he has invested in will disappear.

Question 1.....can a Thai wife divorce without the 'agreement' or presence of the husband?

Question 2.....should he try (I would think that would be very difficult unless the Thai family co-operated!) to get land/property into a joint business name of himself and his wife? Is there any point or advantage to this?

Don't tell me to tell him he's gullible....I've done that enough times alreay...poor chap!

Well he sounds a confident husband dosent he !,im afraid you will have to get your head down, the comments on the way for this guy wont be new or nice,... i have one queston, WHY, would anyone marry a woman that he has a low opinion of, .When i first came to thailand i would hear thais saying "farang tingtong ", i didnt know what it meant ,now i do, i agree,

Well...he was confident and he was very happy with his Thai wife.....until the doubts began to rise mainly due to the many horror stories we hear of so many men losing everything.

Well, personally I don't recognize 'marriage' as such as a legal construct, mostly because I think marriage is a private/family matter that the government should have no business with, and ESPECIALLY not the Thai government.

So that's why I got married, but didn't register it. It's simply none of the governments business, and with the Mrs owning a company, I don't trust Thai governments enough to keep laws and regulations fair for Thai citizens married to foreigners. It also guarantees I don't become a statistic. :D I think governments should stay the <deleted> out of people's private lives.

Actually I don't trust my own government either.. Look at what supposedly civilized Western countries inflict upon their male citizens upon divorce.. It's ludicrous and I want no part in it.

Very happily married though, and beautiful daughter. :D

My God Chanchao - for once I'm in absolute and complete agreement with you, and in a position parallel to your own (except that I have a son not a daughter) - does this mean we need to clink a few beers next time we're both in Tuskers at the same time? :o

:D I'd be open to that. :D I don't usually go to Tuskers though, but I may start going there soon; friends (yes, I do have some :bah: ) are visiting and staying VERY near to Tuskers in a recently opened boutique-guesthouse, so we may find ourselves meeting up there.

My God Chanchao - for once I'm in absolute and complete agreement with you, and in a position parallel to your own (except that I have a son not a daughter) - does this mean we need to clink a few beers next time we're both in Tuskers at the same time? :D

:D I'd be open to that. :D I don't usually go to Tuskers though, but I may start going there soon; friends (yes, I do have some :D ) are visiting and staying VERY near to Tuskers in a recently opened boutique-guesthouse, so we may find ourselves meeting up there.

Was thinking of turning up for the next TV Chiangmai photo group meeting (missed the last one) drop along and we can crack a few beers Chanchao - maybe we could all take photos of all the Thai women we've known who married foreigners, split the pictures into those still married and those divorced, and see if there's a "common type" of facial feature set (family resemblance?) for each group - or we could all take our other halves and bring in a phrenologist to check them out? (we could always say they were getting free scalp massages :o )

although I had some matrimonial problems while living in thailand my marriage has been successful but I am with someone of my own age and I would say of similar "looks".....she not being a young slim nubile etc....I remember standing at Mo chit bus terminal some 8 years ago noticing a sudden influx of newly arriving farangs all loaded up with their suitcases and thinking "if only they knew what they were letting themselves in for!) :o

I quite agree Dee.

I'm still looking for a nasty old crone with a bad attitude to match my own.

Naka.

If that's what you're looking for, try the U.S.... the place if full of nasty old bags with attitudes to match!

Oh, common, welcome to Planet Earth! The girls marry the old, fat, ugly farangs, wait for some time to be uknowledged as their wives and then file for divorce to get the fair share of the property, belongings etc., go back to their village and find cute, young and very Thai boyfriends!

Right on, Royal! Seem these same old, fat & ugly farangs, (like me), marry these young women for ego gratification, companionship and maybe even love, while the girls marry for security, (money). Why would any girl in her 'right mind' marry some old decomposing fart who is apt to drool on his bib and leave brown streaks in his underwear?

Well , i tell you a true story . I just came back from Thailand and a long time friend ( only from holiday , different country then mine ) got married to a girl from Isaan . ( dont't tell where the friend is from , neither where the marriage took place , because i do not want anyone reading this can figure out all the details ) . In any case , the marriage was fine , however i had my doubts in the first place , a: about her and b: the sinsod paid was very high according her age and background . Since the marriage took a few hours and i speak enough Thai to understand big parts of what they are speaking , i like to stroll around and near the Thais . I spoke to her sister , and it appears to be that the girls Thai husband walked into the party , claiming in english that he was the cousin .... yeah right :o . So , i know who is the Thai husband off her and he was allways near the "just married"couple a few feet behind . Off course , he doesn't know anything , he speaks 5 words off Thai and i wouldn't tell him . Better friend then me told him before that it wasn't a very good idea . In any case , i wonder how long it will take before they get a divorce ??? Probably , until his money run's out or she has made enough money on her own outside the country and she want's to go back but without him . Hey ... it was very obvious , knowing a few words of Thai and listening to her speach in Thai . The words that she loves him never came out , only that he took very good care of her .

I mean , how many people get married to a Thai girl , from a different world , without speaking full Thai at all and without the will to understand how their culture is . How can you ever want this to be true ??? My opinion , 99% of all farang /Thai marriages who end up in a divorce are the fault of the farang . Probably , 80% or so of Thai farang marriages are like that .

Edited by pyros

Over 100 Thai women file for divorce with foreign husbands in Khon Kaen in 3 months

Khon Kaen - A total of 142 divorce cases were sent to the Khon Kaen Civil Court in just three months, most of them involving with Thai women seeking divorce from their western husbands, a senior judge said Saturday.

Patikorn Khonpipit, chief justice of the Juvenile and Family Court in Khon Kaen, said the divorce cases reached the court during July 1 to September 30.

He said most of the cases were filed by Thai women who wanted to get divorce from their foreign husbands.

The judge said Khon Kaen was one of the provinces with a lot of Thai women getting married with foreigners and many of them became disillusioned later so they filed for divorce.

- The Nation

Bet there were just as many bank accounts closed also. :o

I was at a wedding 2 months ago with a Aussie guy in Issan. He told me how much he loved his new bride. I think the guy loved his new wife. I went with my wife to BKK for a vist and to take care of some bussiness . I ran into the wife with a old frang boyfriend in BKK at MBK , she ask me not to email her husband about this as she still had 3 more frangs on the hook. She advied me she did not wont to divorce him till he build her a house, OH MY THE WAY SHE IS 19 he is 45 , what do they say about a old fool ?

Edited by tracer5050

I was at a wedding 2 months ago with a Aussie guy in Issan. He told me how much he loved his new bride. I think the guy loved his new wife. I went with my wife to BKK for a vist and to take care of some bussiness . I ran into the wife with a old frang boyfriend in BKK at MBK , she ask me not to email her husband about this as she still had 3 more frangs on the hook. She advied me she did not wont to divorce him till he build her a house, OH MY THE WAY SHE IS 19 he is 45 , what do they say about a old fool ?

But you know what, it is mutually beneficial relationship: the girl gets the money, helps her family, can afford going to college etc., and the guy gets companionship, "love" and some fun (which very often due to his looks/age/ugliness scale he can't get in his own country) before he..you know... :o So it's a win-win situation! :D Its good that there is a place on earth where these poor people can go... :D

Over 100 Thai women file for divorce with foreign husbands in Khon Kaen in 3 months

Khon Kaen - A total of 142 divorce cases were sent to the Khon Kaen Civil Court in just three months, most of them involving with Thai women seeking divorce from their western husbands, a senior judge said Saturday.

Patikorn Khonpipit, chief justice of the Juvenile and Family Court in Khon Kaen, said the divorce cases reached the court during July 1 to September 30.

He said most of the cases were filed by Thai women who wanted to get divorce from their foreign husbands.

The judge said Khon Kaen was one of the provinces with a lot of Thai women getting married with foreigners and many of them became disillusioned later so they filed for divorce.

- The Nation

disillisioned or the house and isuzu are paid off?

45 is not old :o

Why do you assume the women are at fault?

[\quote]

Urr? Where did I say that? In many cases, the guy's funds are exhausted because he is a prat and throws money around like there is no tomorrow. Doesn't follow that it's the fault of his partner...

Simon

45 is not old :D

True. Cheeky little ****. :o

But you know what, it is mutually beneficial relationship: the girl gets the money, helps her family, can afford going to college etc., and the guy gets companionship, "love" and some fun (which very often due to his looks/age/ugliness scale he can't get in his own country) before he..you know... :o So it's a win-win situation! :D Its good that there is a place on earth where these poor people can go... :D

Why go to college when you have a business making money like this. Know many college grads working in hotels

and the likes that would never provide such incomes in a life time.

Years ago, when I was in Suan Phlu for my Visa extension, a lady from a Thai Law firm was handing out leaflets to Thai spouses of foreigners.

In this leaflets, the Thai Lawfirm was advising the Thai spouses that they could get far more from their fahrang husband as they were having now if they asked for a divorce in the fahrang home country.

Wonder if this is not the same type of scam as years ago.

Coalminer

Why go to college when you have a business making money like this. Know many college grads working in hotels

yep, most hotel management have studied leisure & tourism or similar. Chefs will have been to college too.

Know of several university educated girls "working" in Pattaya... because its easy & well paid!

45 isn't old -- unless your 19!

She gets 1/2 -- I think most of them end up with a lot more than 1/2 of what he's got left. I would also guess that the majority of them have already gone through the majority of their funds.

Perhaps I am being too cynical.

Many Thai girls get married to a falang due to misplaced sense of filial duty and pressure from familly members.

In a sense they see it as sacrificing themselves to better the lives of their family.

Also many have to "ditch" their previous boyfriends/husband which they actually might have strong feelings for, but which are not deemed appropriate/rich enough by their families.

Usually both the girls themselves and their families have highly overblown expectations of what a marriage to a falange entitles too.

So when the reality does not match the expectations and daily life just seems like work and a gruling sacrifice combined with missing and pining over someone they really care for.

.....a divorce might seem like a great idea.....

Also today there is much more information readily available and women in Thailand is also starting to adobt western ideas about equality and womens rights...and consequently are not so much inclined to put up with a wayward husband.

(Lets face it many of the wonderful "falang" husbands in such mixed marriages are just filandering drunkards)

And on top of this and ohhhhhhhhhh so many more reasons in the regards to both parties involved in a relationship the break-up rate is bound to be quite high.....

Maybe, just maybe, I might be one of the lucky few.

No sinsod, no house or car requests, no extra funds needed for anything, the wife calls me to get permission before even going to the salon for a cheap 60 baht hair-wash and dry.

I can't lift a finger in the house, the house is kept spotless, the missues just wants to work and study, wonderful meals all the time........

In fact sometimes it gets a bit much having to seemingly grant permission for every step. Though I'd much prefer it this way than what happened back home with the farang cow.

Went to the shop one day to find out the entire business and joint account had been emptied by online transfer, whilst she was in Perth, visiting her 'dying' Grandmother, who made an instant and miraculous recovery.

Good luck to all, as we all seem to need it. At least from time to time.

Big Paulee.