Americans Single Males Returning To The Us From Thailand

Jingthing

Americans, "welcome home" OR "spread em"?  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, so you put any remotely dodgy pics in an encrypted area, or better put then on a private site somewhere.

Then what are they gonna do.. It's just chatter.

And for those of us who have been messed up by these guys, it can be understandably kind of a radicalizing experience.

Well, how about trying the following line of thought; it's very calming, try it:

"Ok they're spending all of this time and effort on searching and harassing me, a totally innocent person... So that means that these resources are NOT spent on targeting ACTUAL bad guys, terrorists and the like. It may even mean that their methods are just not working.. So chances are, some of these c#$93s#ckrs are going to have their guts blown all over the place when an actual terrorist easily slips through their 'security'.. Then I'll laugh and yell: Hahaaa! That's for being such a moron and harassing the wrong people!!"

Well, it works for me.

Edited by chanchao

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mostly with returning single male Americans from Thailand, they aren't looking for terrorists, they are looking for dirty pictures. Also drugs in some cases, they tend to ask questions about your source of income. They have dogs for sniffing drugs, that should cover some of that, and I do think they are way too obsessed for anyone's good about harassing people that they imagine have had illicit sex in foreign lands. How common is it for Americans coming from Thailand to be drug mules with drug-packed condoms in their gut? Rare, I think.

Edited by Jingthing

As a single male, I've had probably more than a dozen trips back and forth between BKK and Los Angeles during the past four years. In all those episodes, I've never had my bags searched once, though I came close one time. But I've always had the feeling the customs folks in L.A. were being pretty overly suspicious because of my particular country of origin.

The only time they routed me for a search of my bags, the first question the officer asked after finally getting to me was about my work. And when I told him I worked for the state of Calif. at the time, he let me go without any further questions or without any baggage search.

Another time, I brought back the "massive" quantity of six pairs of ear rings for some Thai lady friends in L.A. who'd asked me to do some shopping for them. I declared the ear rings on my customs form. And while that didn't draw a search, it drew a lot of questions from one agent who seemed to imply I was going into the ear rings business (with six pairs????).

Nonetheless, I've heard a lot of complaints from fellow male travelers upon returning to the U.S. from Thailand. The curious part for me is, I've never once been asked anything by the Thai customs folks upon my arrival here, never even checked for anything. But when I travel back home to the States, the U.S. customs folks treat people with a lot of suspicion. You'd think it would be more equal.

Now, I really wonder what the U.S. customs folks will say when I return in the future after LONG stays here, instead of the past tourist trips. They'll probably think I'm REALLY up to something suspicious now. After all, why else would anyone want to STAY in Thailand rather than the U.S. :o:D:D

There's at least two sides to every story.

Next time you are on an aircraft going into or out of Thailand, take a walk to the front of your cabin and look back at your fellow passengers - take a close look at the guys traveling alone.

Now be honest... imagine you are the guy behind the immigration desk....

Edited by GuestHouse

I just remembered a story I heard some years back which proves some of us returning travelers ARE asking for it. The story was of a gay man returning from his first trip to Thailand. The officer started talking to him and so he said, "here are the pictures of the boys." Maybe there are enough of those silly bozos to make us ALL suspects.

Edited by Jingthing

I got selected for a "random search" on my way through the U.S. security screening at the montreal airport (flying to tokyo via chicago, if i recall)

i almost laughed because, ok, racial profiling is bad bla bla bla -- but i'm as a french-canadian girl flying to tokyo, i don't exactly *look* like a terrorist, either. (or a sex tourist, or a drug dealer, or whatever else they're worried about)

it was early in the morning, and all the guys doing the searches were young and hot (not the morbidly obese hick from Texas that I normally get, who inevitably calls me "honey") and they told me that Canada was one of the few countries where you can request to be searched by a female officer., so i joked that if i had their job, i would just search hot people who came through security, and they all laughed, which made me think that's what they were doing.

somehow it managed to be funny instead of creepy.

Thanks for sharing Canadagirl. That kind of random search is something entirely different than what we are talking about here. That's about boarding planes to screen for terrorists. You are right some of the people they select for that are absurd, I have seen from old grannies to young kiddies getting picked.

This is about entering the US after flying from Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for sharing Canadagirl. That kind of random search is something entirely different than what we are talking about here. That's about boarding planes to screen for terrorists. You are right some of the people they select for that are absurd, I have seen from old grannies to young kiddies getting picked.

This is about entering the US after flying from Thailand.

oh yeah, i know it's different. i just felt like telling my story, perhaps in an off-topic manner.:-) i'm just sayin' it's not just single guys who get picked on by us security. :-)

On the other hand, how many ladies have their photo cards and laptops scanned for dirty pictures?

I voted usually rude, btw. The one time I got the royal treatment didn't quite get into the abused and violated area, never had the full body search.

Edited by Jingthing

they aren't looking for terrorists, they are looking for dirty pictures.

I got searched at a UK airport once - had to rewind my video cassette and play it to the customs guy. It was, of course, full of wholesome scenes of Bangkok.

I'm so glad he didn't find the other cassette in my pocket. shockedsmileyzn3.gifjail.gif

There's at least two sides to every story.

Next time you are on an aircraft going into or out of Thailand, take a walk to the front of your cabin and look back at your fellow passengers - take a close look at the guys traveling alone.

Now be honest... imagine you are the guy behind the immigration desk....

Best response I have seen on this thread. I have been lucky and had nothing but very pleasant experiences passing through immigration and I have passed through hundreds of times both in and out of uniform. The airlines have become the cattle cars of the sky and for some of the passengers that I have observed, that description would be flattery to them. In our crazy attempt at political correctness, we have severely hampered immigration and our security profiling systems thereby burdening all of us that have to pass through these systems. It is unfortunate that as a result of this flawed system, well dressed normal looking and acting people are sometimes singled out for intensive screening while many of the nut cases, wierdos and strange looking dudes walk through immigrations with nary a question.

Every time I have been stopped, questioned and searched by Customs, it was when I was passing through Seattle.

The first time I didn't like it because they took the DVD's I purchased in Bangkok.

The next time I was ready for them and they searched my bags and I informed the agent where my secret compartments in my bags were and informed him I had things stuffed into my shoes.... He wanted to see my laptop and at the time I had a very slow laptop trying to run Windows XP.... When XP did load he went to search for pictures and asked me where they were and I told him none were on there because XP used up all the disk space....

He asked me why I go to Thailand and I told him because of the night-life, the people, the food, the shopping and I have had some of the best sex in my life while in Thailand.

When I began to ignore what he was doing and was looking at another agent go through a guys luggage and commented that they are giving that guy the full search... With that said, the agent going through my bag told me I can close my bag and go.

That's a strategy there Paul. Bore them with our blow by blow sex stories. Bore them into letting us through the gate. Brilliant, really.

I can just imagine some of the conversations.

What were you doing in Thailand?

You then pull out a 300 page diary blog of your sexual activities.

Let's see, first night ... had a chicken curry, then went out to Wowza A Go Go. It was a slow night and none of the girls/boys appealed. So then went to Siam A Go Go but the drinks were too expensive. Anyway, there was girl/boy named Pee/Ping who caught my eye. Her/his breasts/bottom were simply divine. But wait a second, he/she had a tatoo of a Pink Tiger on his/her stomach and you know how I hate tatoos, so I talked to the Mamasan ....

NEXT!!!!!

Edited by Jingthing

I travel all the time...and live six months of the year in Thailand. I always smile when I approach INS and Customs officers. Engage in conversation when it is appropriate. I rarely have problems. The worst time I had was coming from Canada back to the United States after I was guest instructor at a law enforcement training conference. I didn't have my passport (not required in those days). The INS Agent started working me over..."Where's your proof of citizenship" she demanded as the time for my departure ticked closer. Then it dawned on me that my police badge and ID would suffice (you have to be an American citizen to be a sworn police officer in the USA), so I showed it to her. She said "That ain't to proof." And I said, "Sweetheart, would it be proof enough if I jammed this badge up your ass." I did say it with a smile. She let me pass. Never travelled without a passport again.

Edited by farang prince

Come on now, did you really say that? ! ? ! ? ! ?

:o

I travel all the time...and live six months of the year in Thailand. I always smile when I approach INS and Customs officers. Engage in conversation when it is appropriate. I rarely have problems. The worst time I had was coming from Canada back to the United States after I was guest instructor at a law enforcement training conference. I didn't have my passport (not required in those days). The INS Agent started working me over..."Where's your proof of citizenship" she demanded as the time for my departure ticked closer. Then it dawned on me that my police badge and ID would suffice (you have to be an American citizen to be a sworn police officer in the USA), so I showed it to her. She said "That ain't to proof." And I said, "Sweetheart, would it be proof enough if I jammed this badge up your ass." I did say it with a smile. She let me pass. Never travelled without a passport again.

On my way back from LOS, I always just sail right through, with a very sweet "welcome home" thrown in from the guys. Feels great. :D

When I was a student, I once got asked some bizarre questions by a young immigration officer, but I don't think he really knew what he was doing and was just trying to impress or something. The only time I feel harassed now is when they ask me to throw out my moisturizer. :o

*typo

Edited by kat

I've recently returned to the UK. A Customs & Excise officer stopped me and asked whether I knew the penalties for importing illegal drugs. When I said yes he then went on to ask me whether I had any on me. I answered 'no'. He thanked me and sent me on my way :o

Yeah, I've had professors do that to me more or less when I was on the way as a grad student to Asia. *(they would basically work in the penalties for smoking pot in Viet Nam, etc., but they were just looking out for me).

The immigration officer that asked weird questions on my end was less succinct than yours, though. :o

Edited by kat

Come on now, did you really say that? ! ? ! ? ! ?

:o

Yes, I'm afraid I did zzdocxx. I should have added a disclaimer at the end of my post to show that the reason I posted my sordid experience was to show that even law-abiding, responsible people can sometimes be pushed to the edge by a rude, officious government official, whether it is an INS agent, a police officer or even someone working in a post office. In my case, we were both wrong. She was being rude and unreasonable and confrontational and I overreacted to the situation. She would have been in her rights to have the airport police arrest me and charge me with assault on a federal officer. The case would never have seen the light of a courtroom, but it would have been a black mark on my career. At the same time, I would have filed an attitude complaint against her and it would have been a black mark on her career. The fact that she allowed me to go on (with legal proof of citizenship) shows that she had better judgment than me (I could blame my caustic remark on the several beers I had with a couple of Mounties before going through Customs and Immigration at Lester B. Pearson Airport but I won't).

i live here 50% and in oz 50% and have been searched 3 times in a row back home. My suitcase was totally empty last time (like to bring foodstuffs etc back) and customs just couldn't get their head around it. Where are your personal belongings? what will you wear etc etc . They swiped it for explosives which seemed pointless being off the plane already and the bag was empty :o

On the last trip we took through the US we paid cash for the tickets in Australia (saved 3%). Once we hit the US they made us step aside in every line we went through and used the hand held wand to check us. Noticed the had XXX marked on our ticket. Ask them what that was about and they said it was because we paid cash for the tickets. It's not worth 3% for the hassel. That only happened in the US portion of our trip. :o

I have been around the world more times then I can count. Traveling as an American male alone, military, and long haired civilian. I have been through a few communist countries where I was the enemy and under suspect of spying. I've been to a country and not allowed to leave the hotel I was staying in. But in none of these places was I ever interrogated and treated with such indignity as in America. This goes for customs as well as local law enforcement in my own home town. They are brainwashed cowards with paranoid delusions of all that it is evil in the world is created by a man that doesn’t dress and crop his head the same as them. The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I enter the USA. A feeling impending doom that I will never be able to get out again. That every time I walk down the street some pig is going to want to search me for contraband, look down my pants for some pathetic amount of marijuana, and ask me stupid questions like do you have a rocket launcher or grenades in your car. It is a police state and any talk of freedom or civil liberties is spit in my face. The country is a giant control freak show.

And a comment for you guys who hint around to that if my mommy would cut my hair and dress me like a sweet little boy that I would not have such problems. I do not wake up in the morning and tailor myself as to make other men feel comfortable, in control, and DOMINATE in my presence. Last time I checked child molesters, serial killers, and Mafioso’s looked just like all of the rest of you, not like me.

But in none of these places was I ever interrogated and treated with such indignity as in America. This goes for customs as well as local law enforcement in my own home town. They are brainwashed cowards with paranoid delusions of all that it is evil in the world is created by a man that doesn’t dress and crop his head the same as them. The hair on the back of my neck stands up when I enter the USA. A feeling impending doom that I will never be able to get out again. That every time I walk down the street some pig is going to want to search me for contraband, look down my pants for some pathetic amount of marijuana, and ask me stupid questions like do you have a rocket launcher or grenades in your car. It is a police state and any talk of freedom or civil liberties is spit in my face. The country is a giant control freak show.

I have been around the world more times then I can count as well. Traveling as an American male alone, military, and long haired civilian, I have been through a few communist countries where I was the enemy and I've been through customs in the U.S. numerous times, but I've never had a problem of any kind and the police in America have barely bothered me without good reason.

Frankly, your experiences are the opposite of mine. You sound like a paranoid nutcase, my friend! :o

My last trip through SFO was mess. I got pulled out of line to have a customs agent go through the entire contents of my hard drive on my laptop.

He ignored that I had brought some knock-off purses for my sisters and some DVDs for my Dad.

He was only interested in my computer.

The real nightmare was switching to American Airlines and going through domestic security to get to the gate. Standing in a long line and being quite tired from the first part of the ordeal, a rather large and quite gruff individual adresses the four lines going through the metal detectors with: "listen up people, I am only gonna tell you this once." The rest of the trip was likewise dificult. I went from 20 very attractive stewardesses on China Air to 2 overweight and over 40 fight attendents. Not to mention that the China Air fiight was a new 747 and the AA flght was a 30 year old 727 that left SFO an hour late.

Every time I have been stopped, questioned and searched by Customs, it was when I was passing through Seattle.

The first time I didn't like it because they took the DVD's I purchased in Bangkok.

The next time I was ready for them and they searched my bags and I informed the agent where my secret compartments in my bags were and informed him I had things stuffed into my shoes.... He wanted to see my laptop and at the time I had a very slow laptop trying to run Windows XP.... When XP did load he went to search for pictures and asked me where they were and I told him none were on there because XP used up all the disk space....

He asked me why I go to Thailand and I told him because of the night-life, the people, the food, the shopping and I have had some of the best sex in my life while in Thailand.

When I began to ignore what he was doing and was looking at another agent go through a guys luggage and commented that they are giving that guy the full search... With that said, the agent going through my bag told me I can close my bag and go.

Seattle, what a pain in the ass they are there. I travel frequently on business and have gone through customs and immigration in over 20 countries, 5 on a routine basis. The only place I have ever been singled out, searched, had my stuff opened and x-rayed, and treated rudely/aggressively (what do you do there, how do you afford to travel so much, blah, blah, blah), was in Seattle (twice!) – both times coming from Thailand.

I live in the Seattle area, and I have returned to Seattle three times from LOS. The first time my bag was searched lightly, I think more to get my reaction than anything else. Last time I had a laptop but no one looked at it. The customs officer asked me to repeat the items I had declared (without looking at the list) and when I did, he let me go. Immigration officers have always been very polite, even friendly, customs officers less so.

I have to go back in a few weeks for a visa and some other business stuff, so I think I'll just leave my laptop and camera here. There's nothing bad on either one, but I don't need the hassle.

Knock on wood, but the only problem I have ever had with imigration or customs on my many overseas trips (incl BKK, +20 trips) was in Karachi '00 for too much booze in my luggage. Even comming back from KHI in '02 through JFK they didn't bat an eye. Even have been through SEA a lot.

As I like to travel in comfort, I am often in shorts, t-shirt or tank top, and flip flops. I have a gotee, sometimes an earring in, and sometimes my tats are showing.

Invariably the first question they always ask is what I am doing overseas. I used to tell them business, and now tell them I live overseas (Vietnam.)

Next question is always what I do, and I tell them I am the ________ for an international freight forwarder.

That tends to be it. I don't know if it sounds credible, close relationship with my industry and customs, or I blew their F'n mind.