Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Hi,

my non-o expires next week, I was planning on having a couple of months on visa exemption stamps before travelling back to the UK and getting a new one, but with the new 15 day rule it makes more sense to get a TV.

Anyone with experience doing this from Pattaya? Did you use a company or travel yourself? If by yourself what's the best mode of travel from Pattaya?

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just came back today. Drove myself from Bangkok which took about 6 hours as its a good road. Spent the night in Nong Khai at the Nong Khai Grand for 1600 Baht which i can't recommend as its VERY run down.

Parked the car at the car park directly to the right as you face the bridge. 90 Baht a day and the car was fine 3 days later. The sign is only in Thai, but there's only one entrance through the row of shophouses so easy to find if you don't read Thai.

Getting through Thai immigration was quick with only a few minutes queuing. Took the 15 Baht bus to the Laos side. Big queue there and took about an hour to get the 30 day Laos Visa. 1540 Baht for the visa. Paid in Baht and got change in Baht.

Paid 200 for a mini van to my hotel, Laos Plaza. Again can not recommend as not good value for money (2800 Baht per night and an extra $10 for internet) Supposed to be 5 star but really its 3 and a half, maybe 4.

Went to the Thai embassy the next morning at 8. Already quite a long line. Once it opened had to stand in line to hand over the passport and documents, and wait again to pay! Overall it took about 2 hours due to long queues.

Next day picked it up at 1:30. Queues again but not so long so took about 30 minutes and double entry tourist visa inside. Didn't see anyone look disappointed or complain on getting their passport so I presume everyone got the visa they wanted.

At Laos immigration only a small queue and again took the 15 Baht bus to the other side.

Thai immigration again a long queue even though it seems every booth was open. Took about 45 minutes to get through.

So pretty uneventful trip that seemed to be mostly spent queuing.

I don't really understand why people are complaining about the 15 day on entry rule as its so easy and cheap to get a double entry tourist visa. Total fees are 3540 Baht plus transport and accommodation which will obviously vary depending on your style of travel, but you'd only need to do it every 6 months so you could probably do it on a budget for 8000 Baht to remain visa legal. Plus the 1900 to extend each tourist visa entry by a month and whatever the cost would be to travel to a border to activate the second entry. But 14000 for six months doesn't seem too unreasonable which is only 2300 a month. That has to be about the same as doing the 30 day visa runs in the past and far more convenient.

I don't really understand why people are complaining about the 15 day on entry rule as its so easy and cheap to get a double entry tourist visa. Total fees are 3540 Baht plus transport and accommodation which will obviously vary depending on your style of travel, but you'd only need to do it every 6 months so you could probably do it on a budget for 8000 Baht to remain visa legal. Plus the 1900 to extend each tourist visa entry by a month and whatever the cost would be to travel to a border to activate the second entry. But 14000 for six months doesn't seem too unreasonable which is only 2300 a month. That has to be about the same as doing the 30 day visa runs in the past and far more convenient.

The main problem is that the new rule takes away options. I like to do a few 30 day border runs inbetween tourist visa excursions to Vientiane...and over the course of a year it works out cheaper too.

Don't take the double entry tourist visa availabilty at Vientiane for granted either. Like all things related to visas, the rules can change at any time.

• 2 weeks later...

As I’m starting a new job in Bangkok in January I had to get a new non-immigrant B visa, so, for the first time in my 3 years in Thailand, I had to make the trip to a Thai Consulate in a nearby country and chose Vientiane in Laos as all reports suggest it’s the easiest and friendliest Consulate around.

I flew to Udon Thani on Nok Air (about 1,700 baht each way) on 6 December, just after the PAD had cleared out of Don Mueng. Nok are a joy. Online seat selection, bang on time, a nice warm pretzel as a free in-flight snack and courteous flight attendants. Arrived in Udon at 18.00 and took the airport limo (80 baht) straight to my hotel, The Irish Clock.

Steve and Mali run a great hotel. Big rooms and big beds and very relaxed and friendly. Moreover the food is excellent, especially the farang food – fish & chips, steak & kidney pie, Sunday roasts and big breakfasts. The staff are lovely, especially the very lovely Em.

Udon Thani is a quiet place and I didn’t find the ex-pats particularly friendly, not that I tried very hard to strike up conversation. There are Isaan princesses everywhere and despite the large ex-pat contingent, single farang guys still get plenty of looks and smiles. The old farang alley bars have moved to an aircraft hanger on soi Sampanthamit (the same soi as The Irish Clock and often referred to as soi Farang) called Day & Night http://www.udondayandnight.com/ Unfortunately all the bars were half empty and the girls’ “Welcome” cries were a little desperate. I didn’t find many girls to interest me although they were all friendly enough and there was absolutely no hassle for lady drinks.

After two nights in Udon Thani I took the bus up to Nong Khai (40 baht). I was a little too relaxed and/or polite about boarding and ended up standing the whole way (about an hour). If Udon is sleepy, Nong Khai is comatose. I’d arranged to meet a Thai girl friend (T) as company for my trip and in typical Thai style, despite sending her a text to say what time I’d be arriving in Nong Khai, she was 3 hours late getting there. Nevertheless it was good to see her and we were in time to catch the 18.00 International Bus to Vientiane. I’d been arranging this trip with her for weeks and knew she didn’t have a passport, but she’d assured me that as she’s Thai and from Nong Khai she wouldn’t need one. Naturally, this was not the case. Non passport holding Thais, from Nong Khai or anywhere in Thailand, need a Border Pass and the place to get one had already closed. So a night in Nong Khai was required. A tuk-tuk driver (they’re so much easier to deal with when you have a Thai with you) found us a cheap and cheerful place for 400 baht and we had a few beers in an empty English bar facing the Mekong. Nong Khai was really dead, apart from the mosquitoes which were very much alive and hungry.

I needed to get to the Consulate in Vientiane by 12.00 the next day so we started early and, again, used the helpful services of a tuk-tuk driver to find the place to issue the Border Pass. Except it wasn’t the actual place (which is presumably a government office) but was rather a travel agents near the Friendship Bridge. However, they took a copy of T’s ID card (no need for a photo) and raced over the application form and brought back the pass within 30 minutes (I think it cost 50 baht extra, but T paid).

Equipped with the right paperwork we exited Thailand with no fuss (and no queues) and took the bus (15 baht each) over the river to the People’s Democratic Republic of Laos. I had already bought my Laos visa in Bangkok, so we were through Immigration in no time and facing a mob of tuk-tuk and taxi drivers eager to take us to Vientiane. Having no idea what was a reasonable price, and with T already finding her Isaan Thai was not readily understood (perhaps deliberately) by the Laotians, we plumped for one at random and struck lucky! For 300 baht for both of us, our friendly tuk-tuk took us straight to the Thai Consulate, waited for nearly 2 hours while I went through the visa application and payment process and then took us to our hotel. A lovely chap who was to re-appear again on the return leg.

Despite the horror stories, the visa process was straightforward and although the waits were lengthy, they were nowhere near as bad as I had expected. Perhaps most surprising was the general cheerfulness and helpfulness of the Consulate staff, especially in light of the motley bunch of backpackers, helpless tourists and Filipinos, Japanese and Africans. I was out of there by 12.00 and at our hotel within 10 minutes.

We stayed at the Aroon Residence http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com/ A very pleasant hotel, with friendly English speaking staff and $56 for two nights. The only reason I wouldn’t stay there again is it was just a little too far to walk to the riverfront area, necessitating taking very over-priced tuk-tuks (100 baht or 30,000 kip plus, whatever the distance) every time we wanted to go out.

Vientiane is not cheap (Bangkok prices) and the food mediocre. Well, the Thai/Laos food certainly was. As T continually exclaimed “Not same home” as she picked at her Laos somtam and tom yum. I was keen to try the French cuisine, which I’m sure is excellent, but it never happened. The best thing is the ubiquitous Beer Lao which is bloody lovely and good value at about 40 baht for a large bottle.

10 December was a Thai holiday and I couldn’t pick up my passport/visa, so we did a few of the sights in Vientiane. Well worth it and I’m attaching a few pictures. Amusing to see how the Thais stole “their” fabled Emerald Buddha from Laos in 1779. I think the Laotians are still bitter. T loved it. By the end of our 3 days in Laos she was desperate to get back to Thailand. Thais really do think they live in the best country in the world – I guess compared to the Laotians they are pretty lucky.

Our tuk-tuk driver from the Friendship Bridge miraculously turned up outside our hotel just in time to take us back to the Thai Consulate to pick up my passport. The Consulate opens for collections at 1pm and there was a short-ish queue in place at 12.30 – no shade, so make sure you have a hat or an umbrella! I got my passport back, with my shiny new non-immigrant B visa inside and we sped off to Thailand. At Thai Immigration there was a slow queue and the Immigration Officer spent a long time looking through my passport (at every page) before asking me “Is 90 days OK?” I wonder if I could have asked for more!

Another tuk-tuk took us back to Nong Khai bus station (100 baht) where we went our separate ways, T to her village and me to Udon Thani for another night at The Irish Clock. The following day Nok Air flew me back to Bangkok and my trip was over.

If you have to get a visa from Vientiane I recommend:

• Getting a Laos visa in advance (if you’re in Bangkok and have time)

• Printing off the application form and completing it in advance (make sure you print it double-sided)

• Don’t worry too much about the size of your photos. I trimmed mine down to fit into the boxes on the form, but saw others using all sizes

• Make a photocopy of your passport ID page and sign it. You need this with the form

• Take a friend with you

post-25648-1229253208_thumb.jpg

post-25648-1229253217_thumb.jpg

post-25648-1229253229_thumb.jpg

post-25648-1229253242_thumb.jpg

post-25648-1229253254_thumb.jpg

in light of the motley bunch of backpackers, helpless tourists and Filipinos

Just in case you didn't know, the Filipinos as just as much "tourists" as the rest of the tourist visa applicants. There's no need to single them out as though they are some "special" breed.

Edited by tropo

For those who fly, what is your travel plan? Morning or evening flight? I was advised to get the Laos visa in bkk to save time at the border, and because you can get a bus from the bus station in udon directly to Vientiane for about 200b? Which will not let u on if u dont already have the visa as they do not stop at the border, just let people off to cross the border then directly back on bus and continue to Vientiane. I need to go by 23 Jan 2009, should i book now or later?

Any one can verify that?

in light of the motley bunch of backpackers, helpless tourists and Filipinos

Just in case you didn't know, the Filipinos as just as much "tourists" as the rest of the tourist visa applicants. There's no need to single them out as though they are some "special" breed.

I singled them out as there was a very large group of them in front of me in the queue. Can't say if they were tourists though.

For those who fly, what is your travel plan? Morning or evening flight? I was advised to get the Laos visa in bkk to save time at the border, and because you can get a bus from the bus station in udon directly to Vientiane for about 200b? Which will not let u on if u dont already have the visa as they do not stop at the border, just let people off to cross the border then directly back on bus and continue to Vientiane. I need to go by 23 Jan 2009, should i book now or later?

Any one can verify that?

You need a Laos visa if you want to get the International Bus from either Udon Thani or Nong Khai. If you're in Bangkok it's easy to get from the Laos Embassy and is issued within an hour or so.

You can of course fly direct to Vientiane from Bangkok, and but it's a lot more expensive. Flying to Udon Thani is far cheaper, with plenty of choice and makes for an interesting side trip. Checkout my earlier trip report.

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Good for you!

I have never heard of this.

How does one apply for a Tourist visa X 2?

Does that mean you received 2 separate Tourist visa stickers in your passport?

Did you submit 2 applications at the same time?

Thank You for any additional information you may be able to provide.

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Hi Pakaty, sorry to hear you were refused a tourist visa in Penang.

The OP is referring to a 'double-entry' tourist visa. It's the same sticker you get for a single-entry only it indicates that you are allowed 2 entries within the validity period of the visa which will also be indicated and is usually 3 months.

What this means is that when you enter Thailand they will give you 60 days and mark the visa with a "1". If you leave and enter again before it expires you'll get a futher 60 days with a "used" stamp on the visa.

If you time it correctly and extend both 60 day entries by 30 days you can get 6 months. It cuts down on your visa run expenses considerably, all for an additional 1,100 baht.

Hi guys,

Have been reading this thread with interest, as I'm about to head up to Vientiane for a visa run.

Please excuse me, as I know this topic has been well and truly covered - but the 60 day TR double entry visa that can be extended out (with good timing) to 6 months has me totally confused.

Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but could you take me through it again? I cant understand how they will issue another 60 days (upon return) if you depart the country before it expires...

My nearest border for a visa run is Ranong (cross to Burma). My last visa was a TR single entry 60 day issued in Penang. I've since received a 30 extension at Phuket Town Immigration,

which is about to expire 28 Dec.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!

Good for you!

I have never heard of this.

How does one apply for a Tourist visa X 2?

Does that mean you received 2 separate Tourist visa stickers in your passport?

Did you submit 2 applications at the same time?

Thank You for any additional information you may be able to provide.

I just returned from Penang where I was denied a Tourist visa and given a Transit visa. I also had a stamp on the Transit visa saying "Do not apply for a visa in Penang again".

Hi Pakaty, sorry to hear you were refused a tourist visa in Penang.

The OP is referring to a 'double-entry' tourist visa. It's the same sticker you get for a single-entry only it indicates that you are allowed 2 entries within the validity period of the visa which will also be indicated and is usually 3 months.

What this means is that when you enter Thailand they will give you 60 days and mark the visa with a "1". If you leave and enter again before it expires you'll get a futher 60 days with a "used" stamp on the visa.

If you time it correctly and extend both 60 day entries by 30 days you can get 6 months. It cuts down on your visa run expenses considerably, all for an additional 1,100 baht.

Hi guys,

Have been reading this thread with interest, as I'm about to head up to Vientiane for a visa run.

Please excuse me, as I know this topic has been well and truly covered - but the 60 day TR double entry visa that can be extended out (with good timing) to 6 months has me totally confused.

Perhaps I'm a bit thick, but could you take me through it again? I cant understand how they will issue another 60 days (upon return) if you depart the country before it expires...

My nearest border for a visa run is Ranong (cross to Burma). My last visa was a TR single entry 60 day issued in Penang. I've since received a 30 extension at Phuket Town Immigration,

which is about to expire 28 Dec.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks!

Enter Thailand with your Double Entry Tourist Visa, 60 day stamp. A few days before this expires go to Immigration and extend for 30 days.

A few days before this expires(before the 'Enter before" date) Pop over to Burma and come back. Another 60 days. Again extend this at Immigration for 30 days.

The entry is up to 60 days. You could leave after 1 day if you wanted to. When you leave your Visa has expired whether you stay 1 day or 60 days.

... Arrived in Udon at 18.00 and took the airport limo (80 baht) straight to my hotel, The Irish Clock.

Steve and Mali run a great hotel. Big rooms and big beds and very relaxed and friendly. Moreover the food is excellent, especially the farang food – fish & chips, steak & kidney pie, Sunday roasts and big breakfasts. The staff are lovely, especially the very lovely Em.

Udon Thani is a quiet place and I didn't find the ex-pats particularly friendly, not that I tried very hard to strike up conversation. There are Isaan princesses everywhere and despite the large ex-pat contingent, single farang guys still get plenty of looks and smiles. The old farang alley bars have moved to an aircraft hanger on soi Sampanthamit (the same soi as The Irish Clock and often referred to as soi Farang) called Day & Night http://www.udondayandnight.com/ Unfortunately all the bars were half empty and the girls' "Welcome" cries were a little desperate. I didn't find many girls to interest me although they were all friendly enough and there was absolutely no hassle for lady drinks.

This parallels my experience as well. Irish Clock will always be my first choice for lodgings in UTH. Wonderful value for the room, the free breakfast and the rest of their food and drinks menu, and the staff are very clued-in and friendly.

Most of the locals know Soi Sampanthamit as simply Soi Sampan. It's an easy 7 minute walk to or from the train station as well (if one is relatively unencumbered with baggage) along Prajak Sillapakom Road. Along this stretch there is one alley with a half dozen new farang bars in it, it's the home of the New (and presumably still infamous) Mister Tong's and a quaint stand-alone bar run by the bewitching Miss Fon. *sigh*

In regards to "that kind of tourism" UTH is indeed a mixed bag; less costly and less hassles, but fewer options and fewer stunners. As a destination it's an acquired taste, but if there for just a few nights whilst passing through one could make due and in effect keep the "lay" in lay-over. 'Nuff said on that topic, I think.

Arrived back yesterday from Vientiane. Double entry TV no problem.

Recommend being cautious and arriving very early as I can imagine with the 15 day visa on arrival, the embassy may get more busy in the weeks to come. (Met a man who said many were turned away at around 11:45am the day before.)

I arrived at the embassy around 7:15 am, and already even then around 8 people waiting, and soon became quite busy within the next 30mins.

Arrived to collect my visa the next day at 12:45pm and the queue was at least 100 people in front of me, so again, recommend getting there early.

Didnt see any disappointed faces, so, at least at present, Vientiane still seems to be a good place for visas.

its a shame,, all this visa shit,,,standing in the cold at 7 am,,,the same again for pickup

but for 4500 thb extra you can come 11 am and pick up visa same day at 13.30,,,, the next time i pay it tp avoid this shit.

the best in vientiane was one supernightclub,,, with nice young girls,around 150 free , top music and good fun,,open until 3.30 am in a 5 starhotel at the mekongriver ) don chank ) the only good experience,,so a nice lao lady make me at the end happy

Hi

after just returning from Vientianne,a few things to note,as everyone mentioned didn't talk to anyone refused a double entry visa(which is what I recieved) and the whole process pretty painless EXCEPT:

prepsare for extremely long line -ups now.I arrived at the embassy after waiting nearly 2 hours at Laos immigration(One officer handling 50 farang passports),and I reached the embassy at 11am only to find out it was already closed to applications due to high numbers(same everyday now speaking with other there)so therefore had to go back at 7:30am the following morning to Queue for the 8:30 opening(about 30 people already lined up ahead of me) wait 2 hours for the acceptance process and pay your 2000 baht,then retrun the next day after 1pm to pick up your passport and visa(again lining up at noon to get an early start in the line up.)huge number s of people there now.I could have given one of the runners 5000 baht that first morning at 11:30 and he would get it into the office thru the back ddoor (as some peole did so the could recieve it the next day rather than waiting the additional day as we did,but that starts getting steep cost.So be prepared for huge headaches in linje-ups due to this process now,but Vientianne is laid back anyway I suppose 4-5 hours in line-ups is alright....good luck!!!

If once every 6 months that is not too bad. But paying extra would make the price significantly higher. I also expect that there will be more and more people going there as the visa runs to the border are pretty much over. Laos seems like the best destination at the moment.

Edited by macwalen

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the paperwork I will be needing for a single entry tourist visa? Just want to make sure I have all the details correct. Thanks for the help.

Your passport. 2 passport size photos. 1,000 Baht . Application form.

You need to go for it this week. Next week the only day that you will be able to apply is Monday and it will be very very busy that day. If you put in an application on Tuesday it will be Monday the 5th before you get your passport back.

Edited by ubonjoe

Can anyone give me a rundown of all the paperwork I will be needing for a single entry tourist visa? Just want to make sure I have all the details correct. Thanks for the help.

You need to go for it this week. Next week the only day that you will be able to apply is Monday and it will be very very busy that day. If you put in an application on Tuesday it will be Monday the 5th before you get your passport back.

Thanks for the advice uponjoe, I actually am going on the 5th, because my visa doesn't expire untill the 6th. Figured waiting untill after the holidays would be the best idea too.

Arrived back yesterday from Vientiane. Double entry TV problem.

Some European country cannot have double entry, some like Italy France Holland so is not right that all can have the double.

Then i put a pic whit a new law order, was on the windows in the border office when i arrived,

They put the same for people from african country so they dont came again,

full of philippino ladys whit the request for non imm B for work,that try to jump the line whit smile like: im poor asian lady leave me junp in front.

At 7,30 am there was 100 peolple already in front of the gate.

All fly full and many whit organized tour that i think now they try to monopolize the businness.

9800 bath whit 11 hour of bus ( same prize as you take the fly) for go and 11 for go back, but whit them all country can have double entry....i think have some ...way that force many of us to spend money whit them for have the double.

Im not sure if they are right, the visa is perfectly legal, is the way that i think is not right...alone the ambassy dont give to you whit them yes..but business is business

ciao

post-31264-1230113824_thumb.jpg

Edited by oceano

Some European country cannot have double entry, some like Italy France Holland so is not right that all can have the double.

Then i put a pic whit a new law order, was on the windows in the border office when i arrived,

ciao

This is the first post I have seen of them restricting a European country to a single entry.

I don't think I would call it a law order.

You will notice it says requested. It also says nearest which means to me that it can still be a nearby consulate to get a visa.

The countries on the list are the 36 countries mentioned in the 30/15 notice.

Edited by ubonjoe

Where did you get that information? It's only closed for two days so you could apply on Tuesday and get it back Friday.

The cabnet just recently made the 2nd a public holiday. So the consulate will be closed.

If they were open would you want to wait from Tuesday to Friday to pick-up your passport.

There was just a post from a member that got there late (before 11) last Tuesday and got turned away and had go back on Wednesday.

Edited by ubonjoe

ciao

This is the first post I have seen of them restricting a European country to a single entry.

You will notice it says requested. It also says nearest which means to me that it can still be a nearby consulate to get a visa.

im italian and other 4 men whit me was italian, my passport is new,no other visa run and was the first time i was in vientianne, all had only single entry, other 2 men from france get the same and one man from holland same, i forget also 2 from japn they get only single.

American and british yes they get double, and one had the red stamp from penang!!

I said to the PUMPUI lady in the front desk were you pay" no doble???" she answer" some european country no".

I dont know what say to you.

I post the picture because i dont understand the sense so someone can say to me what does it mean. But i think nearest your country, same the paper for the african people that now they dont come again.

I forget to say that they must to change something because is like" MR bean situation" to much people and sometimes they start also to figth on the road...i dont know is funny and tragic at the same time.

ciao

Edited by oceano

The cabnet just recently made the 2nd a public holiday. So the consulate will be closed.

If they were open would you want to wait from Tuesday to Friday to pick-up your passport.

There was just a post from a member that got there late (before 11) last Tuesday and got turned away and had go back on Wednesday.

You could apply Monday 29th (get there early) and get it back on Tuesday the 30th, couldn't you?

ciao

im italian and other 4 men whit me was italian, my passport is new,no other visa run and was the first time i was in vientianne, all had only single entry, other 2 men from france get the same and one man from holland same.

American and british yes they get double.

I said to the PUMPUI lady in the front desk were you pay" no doble???" she answer" some european country no".

I dont know what say to you.

I post the picture because i dont understand the sense so someone can say to me what does it mean.

I forget to say that they must to change something because is like" MR bean situation" to much people and sometimes they start also to figth on the road...i dont know is funny and tragic at the same time.

ciao

Thanks for the info on the single entry for some countries.

The sign is to remind people they should get tourist visas instead of using visa exempt entries. Also it is to tell people that they will only get 15 days when they enter there.

That was a Monday it is a very busy day because lots of visa run companies start their trip Sunday night and arrive Monday morning. It is best to avoid Mondays.

Of course there is no excuse for the fights. Some of those occur when you have people trying to cheat by jumping ahead in the line.

Edited by ubonjoe

You could apply Monday 29th (get there early) and get it back on Tuesday the 30th, couldn't you?

Yes you could.

Since Mondays are so busy and lots of people are being turned away and told to come back on Tuesday. You need to be there when they open the gates. The only way to do that is to spend the night before in Vientiane.