Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

..... doesn't require an outbound air ticket not bogus bus ticket.

???

Do you mean it doesn't require any ticket?

just looked at that jack golf site, tropo seems ok, having said that from pattaya its got to be at least an hour further away so presumeibly thats 2 hours extra on a day when you probobly dont want to go anyway, or ban leam pay 200 bhat for ticket!

"You didn't say whether or not you show an airticket when you get your extension at Jomtien"

no not asked again

"t might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

"so maybe have somthing to do with that, lopuri, maestro?"

chris

I am not sure of your question but you do not extend a tourist visa by exit/entry. Extension can only be done at an immigration office using form TM.7 and payment of 1,900 baht. Now if you are thinking of a second tourist visa entry for 60 days - that would not normally require a ticket at the border. It is the visa exempt 30 day stamp that some places will ask to see an outbound ticket.

"I am not sure of your question" lop

tropo asks

"You didn't say whether or not you show an airticket when you get your extension at Jomtien"

it seems some people are asked for it at jontiem, and some others (inc me) are not,

"It was reported awhile back that Jomtien Immigration were asking to see outbound tickets. They were even refusing many people who didn't have them a 30 day extension and giving them 7 days. tropo

""t might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

what we trying to get at is why some people get asked, and some not, for "onward journy ticket" /flight ticket etc at jontiem imig? what im asking is that is it maybe the people who have travelled on visa exempt and are applying for an extention, is it maybe them getting asked, and maybe people extending a visa it is not asked, as in that would seem to apply at the ban leam border?

cheers

chris

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No it was reportedly tourist visa holders making application for the normal 30 day extension of stay who were being asked for a short period and if they could not show a ticket they were being provided only a 7 day extension of stay. It was also being done at one or more other locations. But have not seen any report of problems of this nature in several months.

Hiya all,

Doing a laos visa run for the first time as back to the UK in Oct and my 1 year multiple has just expired. I'm thinking of either taking the train(sleeper) or going by bus. The bus gets in earlier than the train which means I would get to the embassy in time. The question being if I get a flight back to bkk from Udon the next day. Will I be able to catch my flight in time.

Anybody know any good hotels that are reasonably priced. air con and good location.

Thanks for any input.

p.s. Can I pay in US dollars being a brit?

I'm applying for a double entry tourist visa.

"The question being if I get a flight back to bkk from Udon the next day. Will I be able to catch my flight in time"

the answer is, depends what time is you flight is :o but if it the 5/6 ish nok air,air asia jobs jobs yep! as a rule as long as you get embassy on time and stright to border etc

us money would seem fine as is thai money! ob ya gonna pay a little extra, but fine!

nice Hotel on the river approx 1000 bhat per day inc breakfast!

tel: (020) 2431805

[email protected]

all your questions are already on here, so if you want more peoples views comments etc scroll back!

chris

No it was reportedly tourist visa holders making application for the normal 30 day extension of stay who were being asked for a short period and if they could not show a ticket they were being provided only a 7 day extension of stay. It was also being done at one or more other locations. But have not seen any report of problems of this nature in several months.

With the regular attitude/policy changes at Jomtien I still think it's prudent for anyone seeking a 30 day extension on a tourist visa to keep an onward ticket on hand when making an application....better safe than sorry.

Will be going for my 2nd consecutive double entry TV in Vientiane very soon, so will post my results when I get them (fingers crossed all will be smooth sailing).

Just a few questions for those who may have time to help:

Anyone have a direct link for the Vientiane TV form? (I searched all over the place, but for some reason i cannot find it, even in the Laos Consulate site. The link for their forms page defaults to Thai which i cannot read, so not sure which one it is :ohttp://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ation_form.html )

Any recommendations for a budget(ish) hotel/guesthouse with WIFI? :D

Lastly, and i know this question must have been asked a million times already, so apologies, but ive got a migraine looming and seem to have been searching a lot to no avail. This time i intend to treat myself to the Nok air flight to Udon rather than the bus. I will arrive around 9:25am in Udon. If i get my Laos visa in Thailand, are my chances of getting to the consulate before it closes fairly good or quite slim?

Tnx! :D

Hi, all! Just a quick question. Next month, I'll be going on my 4th tourist visa. My previous 3 were a single from Penang, a single from Hongkong, and a double from Vientiane. In July I'm planning to go back to Vientiane for another double entry tourist visa. My question is: just in case I do get denied (which I certainly hope NOT!), can I enter back through the Nong Khai border on a 30-day exempt entry without an onward plane ticket somewhere? That's what worries me - that I'll be stuck in Vientiane with nowhere to go. :o

Plane ticket is not currently be asked for at that crossing. Even when required that is always facilities to buy so people are not normally stranded. The other requirement for entry is 20,000 baht in funds and that is not normally asked for either.

I returned from Vientiane last week. Everything was smooth as silk. I followed one of the Border Run operators and the group was as big as 20 with many Filipinos. We queued up to hand in our application, but didn't have to do so for collection. The passports were given to us while we were still in the MPV. Wonderful !

I'm not sure if Vientiane offers back to back double entry TR. Thinking of going back to Vientiane when my TR expires. It's kind of a hassle to do a border run every month.

I had no trouble getting a back to back one last month rookie :o

If that is the case, I would not bother with border run. Make hay while the sun shines. At least with 6 months, I get peace of mind.

"I will arrive around 9:25am in Udon. If i get my Laos visa in Thailand, are my chances of getting to the consulate before it closes fairly good or quite slim?"

i would have said, slim, reasons, land at 9.25, maybe 9.45 out of airport and in a cab, maybe 10.15/ 10.30 at border, maybe big ques there so could be an hour could be 20 mins, say for arguments sake 11.00 in laos, then you got to get to consulte, and have heard reports on here of them bieng busy so closing gates at 10.30 maybe 11 so i doubt youd make it, but i wouldnt like to say it aint doable!

chris

...Anyone have a direct link for the Vientiane TV form?

I recently saw a post giving the link to the visa application form of the Thai consulate in Vientiane and I saved it. Here it is:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

--

Maestro

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but I've been told that the 2-page PDF document must be printed onto one page! (Page 1 on the front, page 2 on the back.) Hope this helps.

...Anyone have a direct link for the Vientiane TV form?

I recently saw a post giving the link to the visa application form of the Thai consulate in Vientiane and I saved it. Here it is:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

--

Maestro

Not sure it's been mentioned here, but I've been told that the 2-page PDF document must be printed onto one page! (Page 1 on the front, page 2 on the back.) Hope this helps.

Not true. I've been there 4 times now, last time 3 weeks ago and I've only ever given them the first page. The second is just the instructions anyway.

just a quickie, just read on another thread about a guy bieng asked for his bank statments, so it might be as well to carry them and ya bank book if going there for a visa, this was a different consulte but it might be a new thing!

"I just got back from the Savannakhet consulate. Fewer than 10 people at or around the window and I left the consulate less than 10 minutes after arriving. Anyway, this time they told me that next time I apply for a visa I need to bring bank statements. I told him I have copies now and he gladly took them (he wasn't interested in seeing the original bank book). Interestingly he gave me back the copies of my current bank book and keep the ones for my old bank book (which was full and did not show my transactions for the past 5 months).

He also asked why I wanted to stay in Thailand and I said I was visiting. Of course I know he was thinking why is he visiting for nearly 2 years. He then asked why are you visiting Thailand and I just came out and told him this is my boyfriend (he was standing next to me at the window) and all question stopped.

The guy at the window is the same one that asked for my bank book last December. So I am assuming that from now on I need to produce copies of my bank book at this consulate (or at least to this particular guy)."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...20&start=20

chris

just a quickie, just read on another thread about a guy bieng asked for his bank statments, so it might be as well to carry them and ya bank book if going there for a visa, this was a different consulte but it might be a new thing!

This is not new at Savannakhet. It's a consulate best avoided.

You didn't make it clear about where the bank statements should originate from, but the whole concept of a tourist having a Thai bank account is absurd.

:o Tropo,

I can only assume you are jesting about the concept of tourists with Thai bank accounts. 50 per cent of our apartment building are said tourists with........Thai bank accounts!

I am not joking. Real tourists do not have bank accounts in the countries they are touring so talking about bank accounts with immigration people indicates that you are definitely not a real tourist.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the "tourists" in your apartment building having Thai bank accounts. I don't have any need for one myself.

If any consulates were asking for information regarding my funds I would present them with a foreign bank statement.

Just came back from Vientiane, got a double entry tourist visa with no problem.

Arrived to the city on Mon evening.

On Tuesday morning 7.30am arrived to the Thai Embassy, already been there 4-5 ppls.

The gate was open on 8.30am, gave them the documents ( paspport+form+ paspport copies + 2 photos ) , then continue to the room inside the building were they calling ur names for the paying. Pay them 2,000 baht, got the receipt and on 8:50am was all done.

As the fellow's here mentioned, write x2 near the tourist visa check box.

Wed noon, arrived on 13:00, there were big line to collect the paspport but this was very quick.

After a 10 mins got my passport with the new double entry.

• Copies : You need copy of your passport frong page ( where's your pic ) + copy of the extension in case ur passport is more then 5 y.o + copy of the Lao visa page. better make it in advance, but the guys outside can do it 4 u in few minutes.
  • Transfter : from Nong Khai border u can take taxi direct to Vientiane ( hotel or embassy ), don't pay more than 200 baht for this. the Taxies are actually private cars which the driver just put a temporary Taxi sign on his car. On the way back from the Laos border inside Thailand, better take the Van service on the Lao side which can take you direct to Udon A/p or bus station for 200-300 baht. On the Thai side you won't find Van, only private Taxis will try to rip u off with 800 baht for the same ride. But In case u r using their service, don't pay more than 500 baht.
  • Hotels : Better stay at hotel near the Mekong river where most of the restaurants, coffee shops, mini mart are placed. Then u don't need a Tuk Tuk if u just wanna eat or buy something... I stayed at Aroon Residence hotel ( 25$ per night ) which was great but a bit far from the center...
  • Tuk Tuk : They will try to rip u off even more than bkk tuk tuk's . Don't pay more than 15,000 Kip for ride inside the city.
  • Money : Have some Exchange boots around the city center or at Thai banks branch over there. Bear in mind that most of the exchanges are close at 4-5pm...after that it's hard to find a place to change your money. Thai Baht is well accepted over the city but they will always will charge u more...so better use Kip.
  • Nightlife : It's not bkk, the city goes to sleep very early. most of the nightclub and bars ( which not have many ) closed by midnight or even before. Bear in mind that most hotels won't allow u take ur " guest " inside your room....
  • Food : They got delicious ( and maybe the best ) bakery in Asia. French style coffee shops with plenty of choises...
  • Mini MArt: Have only few and most of them are closed on 9pm. not have 7/11 or similar that open all night. so if u need something, better buy before 9pm.

I wanna Thanks for all the members who gave me advice and info.

Just came back from Vientiane, got a double entry tourist visa with no problem.

Arrived to the city on Mon evening.

On Tuesday morning 7.30am arrived to the Thai Embassy, already been there 4-5 ppls.

The gate was open on 8.30am, gave them the documents ( paspport+form+ paspport copies + 2 photos ) , then continue to the room inside the building were they calling ur names for the paying. Pay them 2,000 baht, got the receipt and on 8:50am was all done.

As the fellow's here mentioned, write x2 near the tourist visa check box.

Wed noon, arrived on 13:00, there were big line to collect the paspport but this was very quick.

After a 10 mins got my passport with the new double entry.

• Copies : You need copy of your passport frong page ( where's your pic ) + copy of the extension in case ur passport is more then 5 y.o + copy of the Lao visa page. better make it in advance, but the guys outside can do it 4 u in few minutes.
  • Transfter : from Nong Khai border u can take taxi direct to Vientiane ( hotel or embassy ), don't pay more than 200 baht for this. the Taxies are actually private cars which the driver just put a temporary Taxi sign on his car. On the way back from the Laos border inside Thailand, better take the Van service on the Lao side which can take you direct to Udon A/p or bus station for 200-300 baht. On the Thai side you won't find Van, only private Taxis will try to rip u off with 800 baht for the same ride. But In case u r using their service, don't pay more than 500 baht.
  • Hotels : Better stay at hotel near the Mekong river where most of the restaurants, coffee shops, mini mart are placed. Then u don't need a Tuk Tuk if u just wanna eat or buy something... I stayed at Aroon Residence hotel ( 25$ per night ) which was great but a bit far from the center...
  • Tuk Tuk : They will try to rip u off even more than bkk tuk tuk's . Don't pay more than 15,000 Kip for ride inside the city.
  • Money : Have some Exchange boots around the city center or at Thai banks branch over there. Bear in mind that most of the exchanges are close at 4-5pm...after that it's hard to find a place to change your money. Thai Baht is well accepted over the city but they will always will charge u more...so better use Kip.
  • Nightlife : It's not bkk, the city goes to sleep very early. most of the nightclub and bars ( which not have many ) closed by midnight or even before. Bear in mind that most hotels won't allow u take ur " guest " inside your room....
  • Food : They got delicious ( and maybe the best ) bakery in Asia. French style coffee shops with plenty of choises...
  • Mini MArt: Have only few and most of them are closed on 9pm. not have 7/11 or similar that open all night. so if u need something, better buy before 9pm.

I wanna Thanks for all the members who gave me advice and info.

good post kojack and glad everything went ok and really nice to hear everything is still user friendly up there especially with the workload they have taken on in the last 6 months or so!

tropo

"You didn't make it clear about where the bank statements should originate from"

sorry mate, that was a quote from someone else!

"but the whole concept of a tourist having a Thai bank account is absurd"

i think they know we are not "tourists" and can and will turn a blind eye to the thousands that are here on a tourist visa, and are prob just cracking down on the ones here without funds to take care of themselfes!

"This is not new at Savannakhet. It's a consulate best avoided."

i have never been, does anyone know if if they do issue x2 there?

chris

i think they know we are not "tourists" and can and will turn a blind eye to the thousands that are here on a tourist visa, and are prob just cracking down on the ones here without funds to take care of themselfes!

i have never been, does anyone know if if they do issue x2 there?

chris

That's no reason to go out and tell them. If proof of funds are required, a foreign bank should suffice.

The Savannakhet Consulate does not issue double entry tourist visas.

I just got back from Vientiane and received a 2 entry tourist visa without any hassles (U.S. passport and no previous visas in passport). I arrived at the embassy at 8:30 AM on a Tuesday and there were only 10 people in line. I had printed out a tourist visa application over the internet but it was slightly different from the Laos version so they had me complete their copy. On their application there isn't anywhere to show a 2 entry so I just wrote in " X2 " on the tourist visa line as previous posters had suggested. The process was quick and painless. No requests for a bank statement only the application with 2 photos a copy of my passport photo page.

I do have a follow-up question. If my 1st entry is valid until 11Aug and I want to get a 1 month extension for THB 1,900...is there a specific time I should/must do this? Can I do it anytime during the second month or must I do it one week before the 2 months is due to expire?

Many thanks to all those who have shared their experiences; your comments have made my attempts to understand the Thai visa process as painless as possible.

:o Tropo,

I can only assume you are jesting about the concept of tourists with Thai bank accounts. 50 per cent of our apartment building are said tourists with........Thai bank accounts!

I am not joking. Real tourists do not have bank accounts in the countries they are touring so talking about bank accounts with immigration people indicates that you are definitely not a real tourist.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the "tourists" in your apartment building having Thai bank accounts. I don't have any need for one myself.

If any consulates were asking for information regarding my funds I would present them with a foreign bank statement.

Some have their bank cards from back home and have Thai bank accounts - such as myself.

hey guy's,

i'm just back from belgium, and i got a double entry tourist visa from thai consulate in belgium ( antwerpen ).

i know it's not vientanne or penang but maybe there are some readers here from belgium or people who take holyday's there.

they not asked me questions why i need 2 entry's, just had to pay 60 euro's and 2 photo's 2 days later i could get my passport back with a double tourist visa in it.

grtz dennis

Dennis, what is the validity period of your double-entry tourist visa? I ask because according to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs it can be either 90 days or 180 days. Apparently, Vientiane routinely gives a validity of only 90 days but other consulates may give 180 days. Perhaps it also depends on what period the applicant needs based on his travel itinerary.

--

Maestro

Dennis, what is the validity period of your double-entry tourist visa? I ask because according to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs it can be either 90 days or 180 days. Apparently, Vientiane routinely gives a validity of only 90 days but other consulates may give 180 days. Perhaps it also depends on what period the applicant needs based on his travel itinerary.

--

Maestro

I would say that double entry tourist visas with 90 days validity would be the exception rather than the rule. Are there any consulates anywhere which give only 90 days validity besides Vientiane?

--

Maestro

mm this is new to me.

for what do i need to look on my visa then?

because i'm not sure i'm understanding what you are saying.

can you give me some more information for what i should look for, i don't want to get in troubles.

thnx

dennis