Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Why hasn't any agent advertised services for trips to Vientiane for 2x Tourist VISA ?

I've read some of the threads where some of you guys were able to travel alone to Vientiane and get the papers sorted out. It's great, but I don't think I've the confidence to travel alone since it's going to be my first trip.

I'd love to know if there is any agent doing it, just like the way it's being done for Ban Laem border run, where everything is being taken care of. Jack Golf has indicated in its website that it no longer offers Vientiane. It's strange that such a popular route and important trip of VISA runners there is no single advertisement.

i had to do my first visa run in june normaly, but i have to fly back home to belgium soon so i will get my new visa there.

i wanted to use jack golf to for my first trip, and i just look at the site and there still doing it i think.

here is the link.

http://www.simply-thai.com/Links_thailand-visa-runs.htm#L

grtz dennis

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all! Well I just got back from Vientiane last night with a nice new 2 month double entry visa! Flew to Udon with Nok on Sunday night, handed in my application on Monday morning... was worth paying the 50 baht to the guys who fill in the form for you across the road from the embassy cos when I arrived at about 8.15am there were tonnes of people lined up outside (see pic... but bear in mind that the line snakes around in a U shape even more at the start, which I couldnt catch in the pic!). Maybe that's just cos it was Monday though. Probably took an hour and a half to get to the front of the line... and yes, it's hot! Take sunscreen and water :o there is a photo shop just down the road that opens really early if you need some pics taken as well... you will pass it on your left-hand side if you're coming in from town. Best to get the tuktuk driver to stop and wait for you while you get it done.

Went back Tuesday at 1pm and it was all ready... only took about 30 minutes of lining up to collect it. I'd budgeted for an extra night "just in case" but luckily I was able to spend that sitting by the Mekong with a few Beerlaos! There are heaps of cool little BBQ places down there.

Bloody tuktuk driver ripped me off on the way back to the border yesterday but it was only 30 baht... so no big deal. Watch those guys though... they'll try it on at every opportunity... especially with 3 different currencies in use! Had plenty of them quote me a price in one currency and then upon arrival they would demand to be paid the "equivalent" in another currency, which was of course way more than it should have been. Best to memorise all 3 conversion rates before you go (and get rid of all your Lao Kip before you leave the country cos I'm told u cant exchange it anywhere else). Set off from Vientiane in my tuktuk at about 1.45pm and made it to Udon airport to catch the 6.10pm flight... which ended up being delayed almost 3 hours cos of weather! Luckily they had nice big comfy chairs in the departure lounge. Overall a great experience... got the result I was after and enjoyed the trip too... can't ask for much more than that eh :D

post-59485-1209105612_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your good news report! I'm sure many people will be pleased to hear that Mondays are still ok for double entry TVs.

How much did you pay the tuktuk driver to take you from the Embassy back to the border? How much should it have been?

I'm not sure about Mondays, but people have been reporting fast service when they arrive at the embassy later at around 10am. Everyone seems to get there early, hence the long queues when it opens.

Just returned from Vientiane Laos yesterday where I obtained a double-entry tourist visa on 22/04. Everything went very smooth, virtually no questions asked. I arrived at the Thai Consulate on Tuesday at 8:10 A.M. There were about 25 people in line ahead of me. Gate opened promptly at 8:30. I submitted my application, was sent to the office to pay and I was out of there by 8:50. Returned the next day at 1:30 P.M., no one else there but me. Submitted my receipt and was handed my passport which contained the visa. I could see about 200-250 passports on the table waiting to be picked up. I was out of there in less than 3 minutes. Very very easy, no problems at all.

Everything has been covered in this thread but I will add the following:

1. If you go to Nong Khai early on a Monday morning, it is doubtful that you will make it to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane in time to submit your application that day. There were very long lines at Thai Immigration waiting to stamp out of Thailand. The wait early Monday morning was about 55 minutes. We had to wait another 30 minutes for a bus across the bridge as they were all full. Once we got to Laos Immigration, we waited about 45 minutes for my Laos visa. Then, the lines to stamp into Laos were all very long. We waited another 45 minutes or so to get into Laos. The drive from the bridge to Vientiane was another 35 minutes as I recall. By the time we got to Vientiane it was about 1:15 P.M. Furthermore, when I was at the Consulate on Tuesday I over-heard some people saying that they had arrived between 11:15-11:30 on Monday and the gate was already closed.

2. The tuk tuk drivers do not know the difference between Thai Embassy and Thai Consulate. My girlfriend and the guy at the hotel specifically instructed the tuk tuk driver to take us to the Thai Consulate and sure enough we were taken to the Thai Embassy. A tout approached and told the driver to go to the "other place". We saw other tuk tuks with farang arriving at the Embassy also. It is very simple: Coming from the monument, the Thai Embassy is on your right on That Luang Road. About 400-500 meters or less, further down on the same road on the opposite side of the street is the Thai Consulate. The name of the road changes to Rue 23 Singha but just go straight on the same road, you could even walk.

3. There is a scam to be aware of. When you exit the bus at Nong Khai, get off before the bus station. The bus stops on the road and you will see many people exiting. It is much closer to the bridge than going to the bus station. We grabbed a tuk tuk and told the driver to take us to Thai Immigration. The driver took us to an office and said he would wait for us and take us to the bridge. There where several Thais looking very official stamping many documents and there were large stacks of passports on the counter. The man asked us for our passports and said to pay him $35.00 plus 400 Baht tax for me and 300 Baht tax for my Thai girlfriend. I think he called it "transfer tax" or something like that. I refused to pay tax and demanded he return our passports. He told me that everyone must pay tax and if I paid there that I would get a voucher to cross the bridge on a bus and that I would not have to stand in line to get a visa at Laos. I saw many farang and even several Thais paying the 400/300 Baht "tax". This is a scam! There is no tax. We told the tuk tuk driver to take us to "official" Thai Immigration. He was angry and was obviously hoping for a kick-back. It cost us 30 Baht total for the 2 of us to cross the bridge by bus and many were paying 400/300 Baht for what ended up being a voucher for the same 15 Baht bus ride.

4. Vientiane is very expensive and we did not like the food; French or Lao. We went to some of the places recommended by others in this thread. I'm sure some will criticize but that is our opinion. On the other hand, Beer Lao was excellent and one place not mentioned before is Kualao Retaurant if you want to try authentic Lao food served as a set menu for about 150,000 kip for 2 where you can sample about 12 different dishes. There is also a Khan Toke style show. The place is very beautiful and was absolutely packed with people the night we were there. Vientiane was miserably hot and AC did not work very well at almost any place we went. We are so happy to be back in Thailand!

That's it. Good luck and thanks for everyone else who posted. It was all very helpful.

4. Vientiane is very expensive and we did not like the food; French or Lao.

Thanks for your report.

I did not find Vientiane "very expensive" or even expensive.

What I should have said was that it was expensive in comparison to Thailand.

Sorry but you are wrong about western food, as any western food restaurant (french for instance ;-) ) is cheaper in Ventiane than in Thailand, and wine also a lot cheaper. Mexican restaurant also better and cheaper than what exists in Thailand.

I agree about hotels, you get better for the same price in Thailand (not a big difference), but not about food and drink.

Why hasn't any agent advertised services for trips to Vientiane for 2x Tourist VISA ?

I've read some of the threads where some of you guys were able to travel alone to Vientiane and get the papers sorted out. It's great, but I don't think I've the confidence to travel alone since it's going to be my first trip.

I'd love to know if there is any agent doing it, just like the way it's being done for Ban Laem border run, where everything is being taken care of. Jack Golf has indicated in its website that it no longer offers Vientiane. It's strange that such a popular route and important trip of VISA runners there is no single advertisement.

i had to do my first visa run in june normaly, but i have to fly back home to belgium soon so i will get my new visa there.

i wanted to use jack golf to for my first trip, and i just look at the site and there still doing it i think.

here is the link.

http://www.simply-thai.com/Links_thailand-visa-runs.htm#L

grtz dennis

Some people really pay 9000 thb for something that cost less than 5000 baht ALL INCLUSIVE (even includind visa!) ? 555....

====================================================================

Jack Golf has indicated in its website that it no longer offers Vientiane.

They never offered a trip to Vientiane ,,, they went to Savannakhet.

When I was in Vientiane I met some people on a organized tour from Pattaya .... The travel agent's name was Brie or something ...

Default was by bus, but for a supplement a air ticket was supplied.

It's great, but I don't think I've the confidence to travel alone since it's going to be my first trip.

Booked a hotel at http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com for $30 (you can't get a room with that standard in Bangkok and free transfer),

flew to Vientiane and had the guy in front of the embassy fill in my paper work. Easy ..

Total cost: a little over THB 10,000 baht.

Oh, yeah, French Farang, I've could have done it cheaper (train, bus, plane to Udon) ... but I just prefer to pay for comfort and ease ... and please tell me how to do this for 5,000 baht

(Including visa fees)

Edited by sniffdog

I just got back from Laos this morning. I applied for a tourist visa x 2, but the Thai lady taking the applications explained to me that I could not get a 30 day extension on the first of the 2 entries because the visa would expire before that time period is up, so I got a single entry instead. I'll be going back to Laos for a few days in 3 months. maybe then I'll get a double entry, as 2 trips to Laos in 3 months is enough to last me for a while.

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :o

================================================================================

===

I applied for a tourist visa x 2, but the Thai lady taking the applications explained to me that I could not get a 30 day extension on the first of the 2 entries because the visa would expire before that time period is up, so I got a single entry instead.

================================================================================

===

?????

Yes, that's correct. You apply for your first extension after the first 60 days .... then you have to enter again before the date which is stated on the visa. Most applicants

will leave one day after the visa is issued ... so normally no one will have 180 days on a double entry, but only 179 days or less ...

What they said at the embassy is, IMHO, nonsense ....

Yes, that's correct. You apply for your first extension after the first 60 days .... then you have to enter again before the date which is stated on the visa. Most applicants

will leave one day after the visa is issued ... so normally no one will have 180 days on a double entry, but only 179 days or less ...

What they said at the embassy is, IMHO, nonsense ....

Fully agree with "sniffdog", the comment from the Embassy staff is complete nonsense.

"Fully agree with "sniffdog", the comment from the Embassy staff is complete nonsense."

too much of it about, esp with comments like "i think you stay thailand too long" what does that mean!!!!!

maybe its just slowly finding its way up to laos, hope not!!

chris

I just got back from Laos this morning. I applied for a tourist visa x 2, but the Thai lady taking the applications explained to me that I could not get a 30 day extension on the first of the 2 entries because the visa would expire before that time period is up, so I got a single entry instead. I'll be going back to Laos for a few days in 3 months. maybe then I'll get a double entry, as 2 trips to Laos in 3 months is enough to last me for a while.

You need to start thinking for yourself because you were totally scammed with that info from the "Thai lady". Why do you think that we all go for double-entry TV's?

Even if you entered a week or two after your visa was issued and didn't bother with the first extension, you still have the option of a second 60 day entry... so even without an extension on your first entry you can still get at least 5 months out of a double-entry.

You most surly can obtain a 30 day extension of the first entry - but you will have to leave before the full 30 days are used if you want to obtain the second tourist visa entry.

Only one day early if you enter Thailand on the day you receive your visa.

also just taken from another thread as of 29. 4.2008

"Just made a trip to Penang and applied for a new Type O. I had no problems getting a multiple entry Type O with marriage cert, etc. Used the agent at CN Bookstore on Chula St. Very efficient. Visa cost was 550 MYR and his fee 400 MYR."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1952243

Has anyone recently done the BKK- Udon Thani- Vientiane route and back lately? I am doing this and I need to know how to get back to the Udon Thani airport for a 13:50p flight back to BKK... I know there is a bus from behind the morning market but I have read several different schedules now, including this one: bus website... but on another forum it said the times had changed as well as the price. Is there another way to get back to the airport from Vientiane?

Has anyone recently done the BKK- Udon Thani- Vientiane route and back lately? I am doing this and I need to know how to get back to the Udon Thani airport for a 13:50p flight back to BKK... I know there is a bus from behind the morning market but I have read several different schedules now, including this one: bus website... but on another forum it said the times had changed as well as the price. Is there another way to get back to the airport from Vientiane?

girlx, i know its a bit of a long thread, this has been discussed many times and to be fair, youve got more chance of james bond picking you up in a heicopter and taking you to laos from bkk!

i think if you need to get this flight for whatever reason youre best of going a day early, cos ya cant get ya passport back till about 1 maybe 1.30 before you out of consulte and that would make you late for flight already!

when i go same route i get air asia flys about 5ish giving plenty of time for hold ups and nok air is a similar time!

"Is there another way to get back to the airport from Vientiane?"

just get a tuk tuk stright to border then a cab to airport theres lots of em!

good luck & give yaselfe plenty of time there bound to be some hold ups

chris

youve got more chance of james bond picking you up in a heicopter and taking you to laos from bkk!

heh? i am in laos now, just trying to figure out how to get back to udon. considering ditching my flight and just taking the sabaidee bus back!

youve got more chance of james bond picking you up in a heicopter and taking you to laos from bkk!

heh? i am in laos now, just trying to figure out how to get back to udon. considering ditching my flight and just taking the sabaidee bus back!

have you got your visa yet or are you picking it up at about 1pm?

air asia do a flight as i mentioned about 1500 bhat at about 5ish!

when ya get ya visa getting to udon is easy its just reverse of how ya got there ill presume, tuk tuk border then a bus or taxi or shared bus to airport!

chris

What's up with you Girlx? We already covered this last week. It's hard to believe you are serious when you're asking such dumb questions.

If you're picking up your passport at 1pm and expecting to reach Udon by 1:50pm, then James Bond and a helicopter are exactly what you need, otherwise enjoy your bus trip back to BKK.

girlx, tropo and funfun are right! Why didn't you plan better? I read this thread several times before I left for Vientiane and everything was covered. I followed the advice from other's experiences and everything went very, very smooth and right on schedule. Enjoy the bus ride!

Thanks again thaivisa and to all members who contributed to this thread!

elektrified

Just a quickie

taken from another that reports he has just got a x2 in laos not sure where at mo? posted today 1/may 2008

hello, thanks for all the help and advice. i did go to laos with a local company. things went wonderful! i have a double tourist visa. i was told that id be able to get 60 days + 30 at Jomtien office, then another 60 +30. the date of the visa is march 24, and then is says "enter before 23 june 2008". not sure what to do now, and when!? dont want to mess up what i paid for. thank u for any info.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1956228

chris

Why didn't you plan better? I read this thread several times before I left for Vientiane and everything was covered.

no one on here has given any better advice on how to get from vientiane to udon other than taking a tuk tuk on either side. and i didn't want to take a tuk tuk, I would prefer a booked taxi or the like. but thanks anyway... i got the overnight Sabaidee bus back to BKK anyway.

I did get a double entry tourist visa too. Easy peasy.

Why didn't you plan better? I read this thread several times before I left for Vientiane and everything was covered.

no one on here has given any better advice on how to get from vientiane to udon other than taking a tuk tuk on either side. and i didn't want to take a tuk tuk, I would prefer a booked taxi or the like. but thanks anyway... i got the overnight Sabaidee bus back to BKK anyway.

I did get a double entry tourist visa too. Easy peasy.

"I did get a double entry tourist visa too. Easy peasy."

well done

"no one on here has given any better advice on how to get from vientiane to udon other than taking a tuk tuk"

well why didnt ya ask that instead this

"heh? i am in laos now, just trying to figure out how to get back to udon. considering ditching my flight and just taking the sabaidee bus back!"