Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Why didn't you plan better? I read this thread several times before I left for Vientiane and everything was covered.

no one on here has given any better advice on how to get from vientiane to udon other than taking a tuk tuk on either side. and i didn't want to take a tuk tuk, I would prefer a booked taxi or the like. but thanks anyway... i got the overnight Sabaidee bus back to BKK anyway.

I did get a double entry tourist visa too. Easy peasy.

You obviously don't read too well. This is a reply that I made to you last week:

If you're written the correct flight time there is no way you'll make it back on time. You won't be able to pick up your visa until 13:00.

rrrg off to change my flights then... will it still be possible for me to find transportation from vientiane to udon airport on may 1 even though it is a holiday? thanks

If May 1 is a holiday, then you won't be picking up your passport until 13:00 on May 2.

They'll be plenty of transport available any day of the week between Vientiane and Udon Thani. When you've gone through the Thai border checkpoint there are many minivans waiting to take you to Udon...a shared ride will cost you about 150 baht.

That covered your question well enough. There has been mention of the mini-van transport from the border to Udon Thani many times on this thread.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just as an up date for those not wanting to go to laos on there own jst has done a report of whom he went with

"i went with "enjoy travel" aka "bri and joy". they are located all over patatya. the best office to go is on Soi bua koaw. it cost 9,500 baht for a double tourist visa. (the regular price is 9,900; i got a discount. but they told me that the bangkok magazine-forget which one- has a 1000 baht off coupon, so find out about that!) they were great! and i had heard not so good feedback, but i had no choice. the trip is @ 10hrs, up and 10hrs back. so pack a lunch. they stop evry 2hr or so at gas and quik marts, so u can always pick something up and use the toilet. they give u a box breakfast when u get to laos. we stood in line to turn in our passports (i never had to fill out a form at all). after that, the agent handled everything, we waited on the aircon minibus most of the time. and there were about 200 other pple there. so this company did very well. it was vientiene. we stayed at the hotel loas. ok, not western standard. i did change my room due to uncleaness, but considering the area (loas is very underdeveloped) it was decent. the resturant food is great there. and the service is good. u spent on night over and u get ur own room. things went smoothly. id do it again. let me no if u have more questions. take care.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...mp;qpid=1958175

just as an up date for those not wanting to go to laos on there own jst has done a report of whom he went with

"i went with "enjoy travel" aka "bri and joy". they are located all over patatya. the best office to go is on Soi bua koaw. it cost 9,500 baht for a double tourist visa. (the regular price is 9,900; i got a discount. but they told me that the bangkok magazine-forget which one- has a 1000 baht off coupon, so find out about that!) they were great! and i had heard not so good feedback, but i had no choice. the trip is @ 10hrs, up and 10hrs back. so pack a lunch. they stop evry 2hr or so at gas and quik marts, so u can always pick something up and use the toilet. they give u a box breakfast when u get to laos. we stood in line to turn in our passports (i never had to fill out a form at all). after that, the agent handled everything, we waited on the aircon minibus most of the time. and there were about 200 other pple there. so this company did very well. it was vientiene. we stayed at the hotel loas. ok, not western standard. i did change my room due to uncleaness, but considering the area (loas is very underdeveloped) it was decent. the resturant food is great there. and the service is good. u spent on night over and u get ur own room. things went smoothly. id do it again. let me no if u have more questions. take care.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...mp;qpid=1958175

Before anyone rushes out to pay 9,500 baht for a visa run to Vientiane, note that I did the same run with my GF in January for a total cost of 11,000 baht for the 2 of us. That included flying BKK to Udon Thani, 2 nights at a decent hotel and all transport and a double-entry tourist visa each (and the Laos visa). I got a very cheap flight by booking ahead, but even if I paid the regular price that would have added only 1000 baht to the total.

Edited by tropo

for the more khee nok end of the spectrum, the train cost 488 each way for a non-aircon sleeper, 40 baht via tuk tuk to the border, (if you're a total tightwad you could walk it) and about 150 for a tuk tuk from the border to vientiane (negotiate! they'll ask 250). plan ahead; the train may fill up. only catch is, you'll be too late getting to vientiane to drop off your passport. bus from bangers is about 800 (you'll freeze to death from the aircon but you may get there in time).

total transportation: 1,356 round trip per person.

guest houses can be had very very cheaply if you don't mind squalor (i don't). i paid 200 baht for a clean but ramshackle place near the river. just go door to door and ask; prices vary according to the particular room.

total accomodation: 400 baht. (2 nights)

food varies widely depending on what you get. you can spend 20 baht for street noodles or 20 dollars for a nice french meal in a nice restaurant. i tended to spend about 400 baht a day on good food (lots of steaks), good coffee, and beer. you *can* eat for almost nothing, if you want to.

the budget breaker for me was DVDs, i must have spent about 8,000 baht (at 56 baht each, they're cheaper than bangers and the selection is better, as they get dvds both from thailand and china).

==============================================================================

Before anyone rushes out to pay 9,500 baht for a visa run to Vientiane, note that I did the same run with my GF in January for a total cost of 11,000 baht for the 2 of us.

Sorry, Tropo, but this the same discussion as going to the Grand Palace on your own or having a company organize it .....

But I do applause you .... with visa fees already counting up to THB 3,500 (THB 1,500 + THB 2,000) you've managed to spend only THB 2,000 on all transport and hotel!

Even if you try to book ahead for December with 10 baht flight, it will run already THB 1700 for the flight return ....

Edited by sniffdog

Before anyone rushes out to pay 9,500 baht for a visa run to Vientiane, note that I did the same run with my GF in January for a total cost of 11,000 baht for the 2 of us.

Sorry, Tropo, but this the same discussion as going to the Grand Palace on your own or having a company organize it .....

But I do applause you .... with visa fees already counting up to THB 3,500 (THB 1,500 + THB 2,000) you've managed to spend only THB 2,000 on all transport and hotel!

Even if you try to book ahead for December with 10 baht flight, it will run already THB 1700 for the flight return ....

Seeing as you're a non-believer, I still have all my expenses documented for this visa trip for 2 from Pattaya. Also consider that my trip was a short flight compared to a 10 - 12 hour bus ride in both directions and we're definitely not comparing do-it-yourself Grand Palace with company arranged...

Return flight for 2 from BKK - Udon Thani: 2460

Taxis Pattaya - BKK and return (shared): 1000

Minivan Udon to Friendship (2): 300

Bus across Friendship bridge (2): 40

Laos Visa for one: 1035 (Filipino GF doesn't require one)

2 x Tourist visas (double-entry): 4000

Tuk-tuk to Embassy and back: 134

Transport from bridge to hotel: 200

Hotel (2 nights): 1600

Vientiane - Friendship Bridge (minivan): 250

Bus across bridge: 40

Bridge to Udon airport: 300

Grand total: 11,359 THB

In addition to this I spent 1735 on food (including in flight food) and a further 320 on tuk-tuks around town. I don't consider food to be a visa run expense because I eat back at home too.

Organised well it's still possible to get close to my numbers. There's immediate room for savings by substituting a taxi from Pattaya with a bus. That saves 700, and you could reduce the price of the hotel easily by half and still sleep comfortably (save another 800 or more). You could also save another 200 or so by taking buses instead of minivans.

================================================================================

Also consider that my trip was a short flight compared to a 10 - 12 hour bus ride in both directions and we're definitely not comparing do-it-yourself Grand Palace with company arranged...

================================================================================

The 9,000 tour is also by air ..... Furthermore you misrepresented the number of Loaos visas ... so actually 11,359 + THB 1,035 + transport in Vientiane .... is almost THB 13,000 baht.

Point is that the THB 2,460 for 2 return tickets is not valid anymore and that if you book a tour most of it is already arranged for you and they employ people to work for you just like

an arranged tour to the Grand Palace .... or an organized visa run with a company THB 2,000+ against a self arranged trip ...

http://www.simply-thai.com/Links_thailand-visa-runs.htm#L

As indicated earlier I took a direct flight to Vientiane and stayed in a first class hotel ... even more than the 9,000 baht ... but surely more comfortable.

Edited by sniffdog

Also consider that my trip was a short flight compared to a 10 - 12 hour bus ride in both directions and we're definitely not comparing do-it-yourself Grand Palace with company arranged...

The 9,000 tour is also by air ..... Furthermore you misrepresented the number of Loaos visas ... so actually 11,359 + THB 1,035 + transport in Vientiane .... is almost THB 13,000 baht.

Point is that the THB 2,460 for 2 return tickets is not valid anymore and that if you book a tour most of it is already arranged for you and they employ people to work for you just like

an arranged tour to the Grand Palace ....

http://www.simply-thai.com/Links_thailand-visa-runs.htm#L

Wow, you picked that up...congratulations!

You're actually doing a fair bit of misrepresenting yourself:

1. The visa run by "Bri & Joy" in Pattaya carries a normal price of 9,900 baht.

2. The tour is by bus, not air. Read it again!

3. 11,359 + THB 1,035 comes to 12,394 which is closer to 12,000 baht (not 13,000).

4. The cheapest AirAsia ticket I can get right now for 2 return to Udon Thani is 3,210. That's only 750 more for 2 people return than I paid. It's impossible to claim that the ticket price I paid in January is not available anymore because AirAsia do spot discounts throughout the year.

Ok, so lets go with the 3210 ticket price, add one Laos visa and catch buses instead of taxis and minivans and stay at a 400 baht per night hotel and see what we get.

ADD:

Laos visa: 1,035

Higher price for tickets: 750

Total: 1,785

Subtract:

Buses Pattaya to BKK return: 400

Saving at hotel: 800

Other transport savings: 200

Total: 1,400

Total cost for 2 now reaches a grand total of 11,744 THB. That's 5,872 per person instead of my original 5,680.

Trip with Bri & Joy for 2 (20+ hours on a bus): 19,800 THB

================================================

The visa run by "Bri & Joy" in Pattaya carries a normal price of 9,900 baht.

Never used the words 'Bri and Joy'

The tour is by bus, not air. Read it again!

You might read again .... click on the link I gave you ... Did you take 3 seconds to check that before you posted?

11,359 + THB 1,035 comes to 12,394 which is closer to 12,000 baht (not 13,000).

Even if you take some transport costs in Vientiane at only 107 ... (back and forth to

the embassy) you get 12,501 which is closer to 13,000 baht (not 12,000 baht). :o

The cheapest AirAsia ticket I can get right now for 2 return to Udon Thani is 3,210. That's only 750 more for 2 people return than I paid.

It's impossible to claim that the ticket price I paid in January is not available anymore because AirAsia do spot discounts throughout the year.

I did a check for June and they offer 10 baht flights. Can't imagine (unless fuel charges go down it would be cheaper than 3,210 baht

anytime this year!). But still almost 30% more than you paid ....

Anyway, my opinion still stands ....you pay for ease ..... I paid THB 13,000+ on my own (which is more expensive than the organized

trip) but flew directly to Vientiane and First Class hotel.

Have you ever considered how much it would have saved you and your GF to go by train and walk to the border?

Edited by sniffdog

The visa run by "Bri & Joy" in Pattaya carries a normal price of 9,900 baht.

Never used the words 'Bri and Joy'

The tour is by bus, not air. Read it again!

You might read again .... click on the link I gave you ... Did you take 3 seconds to check that before you posted?

No, I didn't read check your link. My reply was to a post outlining Bri & Joy's visa run a few posts back.

11,359 + THB 1,035 comes to 12,394 which is closer to 12,000 baht (not 13,000).

Even if you take some transport costs in Vientiane at only 107 ... (back and forth to

the embassy) you get 12,501 which is closer to 13,000 baht (not 12,000 baht). :o

Irrelevant. Your original statement was inaccurate. I'm really glad you're not my accountant.

The cheapest AirAsia ticket I can get right now for 2 return to Udon Thani is 3,210. That's only 750 more for 2 people return than I paid.

It's impossible to claim that the ticket price I paid in January is not available anymore because AirAsia do spot discounts throughout the year.

I did a check for June and they offer 10 baht flights. Can't imagine (unless fuel charges go down it would be cheaper than 3,210 baht

anytime this year!). But still almost 30% more than you paid ....

Also irrelevant because I adjusted the figures to include the cheapest airfare I could find today. 30% sounds a lot doesn't it, but it's 30% of a very small number - 750 THB to be exact - for 2. Let's break that down: The cheapest fare is now 375 THB more than the fare I paid in January. The 30% airfare increase that you've harped on about is quite a small difference.

Anyway, my opinion still stands ....you pay for ease ..... I paid THB 13,000+ on my own (which is more expensive than the organized

trip) but flew directly to Vientiane and First Class hotel.

This is total nonsense. I used a taxi to the airport, flew to Udon Thani then took a comfortable minivan to the Friendship bridge. I stayed in a big comfortable hotel room and ate well. Were did I lose "ease" to save money compared to the organised tour. I'm pretty sure my accommodation was far superior to what they offer too.

Have you ever considered how much it would have saved you and your GF to go by train and walk to the border?

No, perhaps you could give it go sometime and report back here.

You paid THB 13,000 baht. That's great. Why didn't you mention before that you're not concerned about costs. It doesn't change the fact that what you said about paying for ease is BS when you compare my visa run and costs to those of the organised service.

Of course your visa run cost a lot more and you had the convenience of flying straight to Vientiane however this is irrelevant in the context of this discussion where we are comparing the cost of my visa run with that of an organised service.

Edited by tropo

Not to interfere in the conversation between tropo and sniffdog, but

That's a bloody good price. Probably booked in a discounted period or something, as I usually pay around 3000 baht for two person, one way on that route. I have to admit, I only book a few days in advance, and I have flown that route with both Air Asia and Nok many times, but I cannot remember ever having to pay less then 3000 baht one way for two persons.

:o

I reckon the next question on Vientiane visas will be "how many can one get?". It's all a bit too good to be true at present.

" It's all a bit too good to be true at present"

its untrue, how the same consultes/embassy's in kl, pennang, singapore, phn penn etc are all open and paid salery's etc and are not doing what is obously there job to do, and are clearly getting away with it and at the same time letting thier own country down!

what should happen next to many if laos followed that route? many on here might say well get a propper visa and you wont have problems, thats for them they know there retired or staying for good etc, but many have no absolute deff plans, taking it month by month and if they decide to move on after 6 months or year why not?

thats my morning complaint over sorry chaps!

tropo and sniffdog have done a very good price comparison for all of us thinking of which way to travel next, and lets hope bkkgas that it does continue!

chris

That's a bloody good price. Probably booked in a discounted period or something, as I usually pay around 3000 baht for two person, one way on that route. I have to admit, I only book a few days in advance, and I have flown that route with both Air Asia and Nok many times, but I cannot remember ever having to pay less then 3000 baht one way for two persons.

That was a price I booked 3 months ahead. Right now the best is 3210 baht return for two and as Sniffdog pointed out, the lowest it's likely to go this year due to increase in fuel costs.

I always book my visa run flights at least a month in advance. I always plan my visa run trips well.

you can fly directly there, but tha'ts a bit pricey. bangkok airways do it and lao airways. maybe others. you can also fly to Udon Thani, on Dare Asia, and take a bus from there.

Lao Airlines and Thai Airways are the only carriers that fly into Vientiane from BKK.

Air Asia fly in from KL

Vietnam Airlines flying in from Hanoi

Lao Airlines also flies in from Pakse, Luang Prabang and Siem Reap (via Pakse)

once in Vientiane you can pay in baht or dollars; you will most likely get your change in baht. there are ATMs here but i haven't used 'em.

For small purchases and most shops/stalls you will undoubtedly get your change in Kip, if you are pay for something with say 1000baht note for something say 100baht then sure in general they'll give you baht as it's easier.

My advice is get Kip then you won't get fleeced on exchange rates things are always rounded upwards and depending on the shop/bar you go will depend on the rate you are given.

Dollars - very very few place will quote prices in dollars anymore - it's funny just how the dollar slump has basically removed all interest in it as a currency here. When it was worth 10,000 kip it was used everywhere now it's around 8,700 and no one cares about it. One thing is for sure if you pay in dollar you will get kip as change (against unless it's a large amount of dollar change and it'll be dependant on if they have dollar notes).

Dollars - very very few place will quote prices in dollars anymore - it's funny just how the dollar slump has basically removed all interest in it as a currency here. When it was worth 10,000 kip it was used everywhere now it's around 8,700 and no one cares about it. One thing is for sure if you pay in dollar you will get kip as change (against unless it's a large amount of dollar change and it'll be dependant on if they have dollar notes).

Take dollars to pay for the Laos visa.

That was a price I booked 3 months ahead. Right now the best is 3210 baht return for two and as Sniffdog pointed out, the lowest it's likely to go this year due to increase in fuel costs.

I always book my visa run flights at least a month in advance. I always plan my visa run trips well.

That's what I thought, I tried it myself, if booked say 5 days in advance, the price at their website is 6250 baht for two returns, which is right in my price range, the 3210 is the price you would pay when booked at least one month in advance, when I got a price of 10 baht excluding tax. I never book that far in advance, mainly since I go there for leasure and want to keep my options open. Of course I will pay a price, still it's cheap to fly there, even if booked at the airport.

walking to the border from the train will save you a max of 40 baht per, one way. kinda silly to walk with luggage.

walking to the border from the train will save you a max of 40 baht per, one way. kinda silly to walk with luggage.

Sniffdog was just making a point that he's a superior first class traveller who takes the most expensive route and stays in the best "first class hotels".

In actual fact, compared to a return airfare of 1200 baht the train plus walk to the border would probably have been more expensive.

There's been a report on Ajarn Forum by a user named ScorpioPower that Nongkhai is no longer doing more than 3 30 day consecutive visas. This is in the Paperwork Forum on that forum. The user does not clearly indicate if these are visas on arrival or the regular tourist visa. Claims to have seen many people with significant assets denied re-entry. Not sure if this is rumor or true...

Nongkhai does not do visas, except a change of visa in certain cases if certain requirements for extension are met. Generally, visas are issue by Thai consulates, and these are outside Thailand.

--

Maestro

Just as an update not on laos but Pennang!

Taken from another thread

"<br />Don't go to Penang, closest consulate from Koh Phangan.<br />They require flight ticket to your home country.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

this is not true anymore, i was there for non-B with other people that were there for tourist visa, exept the application form, copy of passeport and pictures nothing else was required for tourist visa, i saw them back two days later with their visa.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1965475

so this is a first in a while, pennang might be ok again, but then again early days yet see what happens!

chris

I just realized that I might be screwed. How late is the Vientiane border open? If I fly into Udon Thani on the 5:25 PM flight from Bangkok, can I get to Vientiane the same night without a Laos visa in hand? I'm supposed to be at the consulate the next morning. Someone help me ASAP - I'm trying to book a hotel room. Take pity on my procrastinating butt, please!

Not a problem. Just get the laos visa at "The Bridge" and pay in U.S. dollars (works out cheaper than the baht)

and the border (bridge) is usually dead after 6.00pm which means only 10 mins to get visa.

Wow, quick response. Thanks a lot!

Not a problem. Just get the laos visa at "The Bridge" and pay in U.S. dollars (works out cheaper than the baht)

and the border (bridge) is usually dead after 6.00pm which means only 10 mins to get visa.

are you sure? i was under the impression the border closed at 5 or 6 or 7? t time ish anyway? what time does it close?

i thought he would be getting 5.25pm flight from bkk, say 1 hour 6.25 then 45 mins maybe 1 hour to border etc making it 7 30 ish, when i thought it would be shut so was gonna sujest hotel in udon, then eary at border say 7am giving him time to hand in visa?

chris

are you sure? i was under the impression the border closed at 5 or 6 or 7? t time ish anyway? what time does it close?

i thought he would be getting 5.25pm flight from bkk, say 1 hour 6.25 then 45 mins maybe 1 hour to border etc making it 7 30 ish, when i thought it would be shut so was gonna sujest hotel in udon, then eary at border say 7am giving him time to hand in visa?

chris

I'm seeing that the border with Laos closes at 10 PM. Is that correct?

I just realized that I might be screwed. How late is the Vientiane border open? If I fly into Udon Thani on the 5:25 PM flight from Bangkok, can I get to Vientiane the same night without a Laos visa in hand? I'm supposed to be at the consulate the next morning. Someone help me ASAP - I'm trying to book a hotel room. Take pity on my procrastinating butt, please!

As Bangkokgas said, you will not have a problem. It's the same flight I took on my last visa run and the border was very quiet after 7pm. It took about 5 minutes to get my Laos visa.