Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know what time the bridge closes, what time the last bus back from Vientiane is to Nong Khai and if there is alternative transport over the bridge if you miss the last bus - which I heard was quite early?

Last bus from Vientiane to Nongkhai is 18.00. There is one before that at 15.30. Therefore, theoretically you could catch the one at 15.30. But I would suggest you book them in the morning of your departure date.

I'm just back from Vientiane and no problems with the double entry (my first).

Funny thing while passing through Thai immigration to leave though and something that served as a good reminder. The person in the booth looked at my passport and then directed me "you go inside the office." This was the overstay office.

I looked at my passport and the arrival stamp and the gonzo at the airport had just stamped it with the standard 30 day stay period used for visa exempt entries despite the fact I held a non-immigrant B that was valid for a three month stay.

Must admit that I had never really taken much notice of the entry stamp before that. Only looked at the arrival date and counted the days.

Inside the office the officer behind the desk acknowledged that my previous visa was valid for three months and for a three month stay and also acknowledged that the airport staff had made a mistake.

After making lots of photocopies and putting lots of new rubber stamps in my passport and amending the old date it was fixed. No hassles, no problems at all. Very efficient and courteous.

Now I check to make sure they put the right details in my arrival stamps :o

I did notice that Thai Immigration have a sheet that cross references arrival date with 30, 60 and 90 day periods. Even a single day overstay will be picked up. A Fiipina girl ahead of me was fined Bt 1,000 for a two day overstay,

Just for the benefit of anyone making the trip for the first time:

I left from Chiang Mai and got to Udon Thani where there was a connecting bus to Nong Khai (about Bt 30)

Met up with some other people doing the same thing and we got off the bus at the road junction where the bus turns to head into Nong Khai and the sign points to the Friendship bridge in the opposite direction. We grabbed a tuk-tuk from their for Bt 50 for the three of us.

Bus across the bridge was Bt 15 from the ticket counter after passing through Thai Immigration (eventually)

Despite the delay at the Thai side I met up with my travel buddies in the line waiting to go through border control on the Laos side. While they cued I paid my $30, filled out the visa applications (1 photo) and then joined up with them again.

Don't forget to pay your Bt 10 border fee after passing through Laos border control.

We got a mini van to take us from Laos immigration to the Thai consulate. Small cue waiting to submit documents but a large one waiting to pay. The driver waited and then took us down by the river where we got a hotel. Cost for the mini van was Bt 200 each if two people and Bt 150 each for the three of us.

The Orchid Guest House has clean if some-what basic rooms. A/c rooms with a private bathroom for Bt 600 and fan rooms with a shared bathroom for Bt 350. Bathrooms clean and all the rooms have cable TV.

Nice Vietnamese restaurant called Coffee Restaurant upstairs on top of the Music House Pub along the riverfront road serves a reasonable steak and great Vietnamese coffee. Little bit hard to find because they are upstairs and just have their menu on a stand at the bottom of the stairs. Their neon sign has a display that looks like it's from a fast-food restaurant. Excellent food though. I think the steak was 25,000 kip and the coffee 12,000 kip.

Little bakery down the side street just after the mini-market and next to the ARB agent called Café Croissant d'Or serves great baguettes, a good American breakfast (25,000 kip) and has a great range of made on the premises cakes and pastries. Also good coffee (12,000 kip). Also some very pretty staff :D

The same driver was on-time the next day and we went back at 12.30 pm Friday and the joined the predictably long cue of people waiting to collect their visas. As previously mentioned in this thread it's probably better to go to collect at 1.30 after the initial rush.

Back to the bridge and through Laos immigration.

Picked up another mini van there and five of us paid Bt 200 to be taken to Udon Thani. Through Thai Immigration with no great delay and a waltz through Thai customs and drug control check points where the dogs were asleep and the agents chatting amongst themselves and back into the van.

I got some questions in addition to your great report :

1. In which currency did u make the payment on the Laos check point at the border ? I heard they're asking only for US$. if so, can u change the money over there ?
  2. Same question about the Thai embassy...which currency use there ?
  3. Do u need to give some kind of copies of your passport to the Thai embassy, if so which kind ?
  4. Is there a minivan service from the border back to Udon airport ?

Thanks

The Orchid Guest House has clean if some-what basic rooms. A/c rooms with a private bathroom for Bt 600 and fan rooms with a shared bathroom for Bt 350. Bathrooms clean and all the rooms have cable TV.

BTW, does the Orchid GH allow you to show your room to new friends you made in town?

BTW, does the Orchid GH allow you to show your room to new friends you made in town?

"friends" plural? – Yes!

:o I apologise in advance if those "new friends" are Laoatian ladies coz.......no, in most places they will not be allowed. Same rules do not apply there, as in Laos. On another note Orchid G.H. s crap value. Try Phonepaseuth g.h. behind the "fountain". For that money, you get a a great room,breakfast,cable,balcony, e.t.c., e.t.c.. "My room" (the one we always request and get online) is 831, we love it! STAFF ARE GREAT AND YOU CAN BOOK ON LINE.Give me a shout if you need e-mail,phone numbers. Soi Pangkam is the exact location.

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Hello everyone! :-)

Was up in Vientiane for the tourist visa a couple of weeks ago.

Applied on Thursday, picked up on Friday. Not exactly recommended. LONG queues. One of the Laotian guys told me it was usually like this Thursdays/Fridays. (Ca. October 2007 I did the same trip, arrived 7.45 AM and was first in line. This time at 7.45 AM there were ca. 50 already in the queue. Same story when picking up the passport on the following day.)

BTW: lots of (*/*"="/"% (= self-censored) trying to jump the queue. Please do everybody a favour and tell them to move their sorry */(*/*ç*ç& back to where they should be standing in the first place. Don't be shy - I told most of them, and even the tough looking guys sheepishly apologized ("Oh sorry, didn't know/realize..." Yeah, right...?!) - and went to the back. :o (Even those who were there with a group tour, led by Thai nationals.)

Accommodation / food:

Have previously stayed at the Asia Pavillion. Not too bad. They do have wireless, but it never works.

Same story with the New Lao Paris Hotel. But the rooms here are much nicer.

Went for dinner to La Provencal (next to the fountain): avoid this place! Ants and an insect as extra topping on the pizza.

Wireless:

SabaiDee Coffee has wireless. 8000 Kip for 30 minutes, 15000 Kip for one hour.

Vista WiFi Cafe, François Ngin Street. Free for one hour if you spend a minimum of 15000 Kip on food/drinks.

Just returned from Laos and Udonthani receiving a double tourist visa as hoped.

TAKE A TG WHENEVER POSSIBLE is my new mantra. Lek,my longtime gal pal arranged things much more efficiently than I could ever do.Here's how it went:

Started at Charoen Hotel,Udonthani (on the main road a few blocks from the hospital) 900 baht for a nice room without free breakfast..staff very kind. My brother was in town from California,along with his TG,and we had a pleasant stay.Next morning the same kind Thai taxi driver as back in Jan. drove us to a place where you get passport copied and they then drive you by minivan to the checkpoint saving you time.Cost 300 baht.They drive you through the vehicle checkpoint,saving you from standing in line,which was coincidentally almost non existent (Tuesday,May 27)...so we cruise through,and are at the Laos visa window by about 9 something,where there are about 3 people total.

The window is already open and the glum looking officer takes my passport and US dollars...wait is about 8 minutes..bingo...to the next step.The desk where some guys with English skills fill out address form FOR YOU cheaply...right on!..onto check-in line,where an Asian lady kindly cuts right in front of me,even though there is no one behind me....er....is there?...seconds later I looked back and the line was about 25 people deep...pheww!..good timing!....ok biotch got hers in front of me..no big deal...serious looking officer takes my passport and looks it over and hands it to me with a look like he'd like to strangle me....ok...on to pay 10 baht for some type of "fee" to get through to taxi touts section of good ol Laos....we looked for our old Laos taxi guy from last time..no luck.

We grabbed a different guy with a minivan for the four of us,and off we were to the embassy...all in good time.We arrive and there are zero people waiting,and about 4 "agents" across street under umbrellas...cool....i choose a guy and he is knowledgeable about the correct forms and documents.He tells me sorry sir,your application (which i downloaded from Thai embassy Lao website) was on 2 pages,and needed to be on one with the second page info on the back of it....ok,so HE filled it out for me bless his heart,and Lek negotiates a price to get the double lickety split (i will refrain from indicating details here,for obvious reasons) you may PM me for details ...

went through the "pay" line instantly,paying for double visa..no one there..into the room to wait for receipt,where it was fairly full,and the Thai staff seemed relaxed and friendly...got receipt in about 15 minutes...then to Mongkhol Hotel near the river to check in and go to the restaurant right in front over the Mehkong,where the always kind and relaxed staff bring us great food and DARK beer Laos!! Good God...one of the pleasures of living,let me tell you!!...the Mekhong is calm and peaceful,it's hot and cloudy..then an hour later, pouring rain,as we stay under the thatched roof chatting and drinking.The staff accept our request to please play Lao and Morlam music,and we are enjoying ourselves thoroughly.The people of Laos are wonderful,friendly,NOT in yer face,and we tipped accordingly. We stayed the next day and night as well.Here I must say that just in the 5 months since last visit to Vientiane,it has really come up.I saw more nice cars,businesses seemed to be doing better..there was more of a "buzz"..streets clean and orderly,no rubbish and crumbling infrastructure etc...My feeling is Laos is moving along quickly! Great to see. Enjoyed a massage next door to the Mongkhol..(scrumptuously administered by a very lovely Lao lass) for about 5 USD !

On leaving morning after,we stopped at duty free shop and bought 2 cases of Beer Laos to take back,and we loaded them in minivan and were off to border check,where once again a Lao fellow drove the van to the vehicle entrance,got out,took our passports to the window HIMSELF bless his heart,and then we were through!....so mission accomplished ..double visa...all good and next time i plan to try the same thing. it helped alot to have my Thai gal pal along,bless her heart.

hi mel good report that mate, and good to know everything still user freindly up there, ill take it there were no bad bits heard of etc

"On what time in the morning does the Thai + Laos immigration at the border are open thier counters ?" Post #398

not sure but would expect to be around 7am

chris

I have just returned from laos, after bieng unsure weather they would follow in pennangs footsteps by stamping "not to return" and am happy to say i appllied for and recieved a Tourist x 2 visa!

i did not meet anyone who was refussed or had any problems!

Now this is my first Tourist x 2 so ill presume ill get

arrived back yesterday and got 60 days

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then cambodia border 60 days (for double entry)

then top up at jontiem 30 days

then ill just do 2 x border runs keping1 left for plan b thats 60 days

so in theory thats 8 months sorted!

now if i have added this wrong please let me know, as i say it is my first double entry!

cheers chris :o

nearly 6 months i got my first tourist x 2 at laos, due to pennang having a bad write up at that time, just looking to compare with what i thought i would get (above post) and how i have gone on.

12 dec nong kai got 60 days

11 feb imigration got 30 days ext

03 mar pong nam ron 60 days cant remember why or where? presume thats ban leam.

30 april 30 days ext

31 may 1st visa exempt, ban leam, yeah, pong nam ron

so ive now got a month then do another run for 30 thats end july, leaving one run as plan b.

result

so far so good, got what i was advised on here, cheers!

chris

next visa pennang vs laos?

penang, rush rush rush, and was user unfriendly, might have changed now, but not a place to look forward to.

Vientiane, more relaxed, better city and people.

at the moment for me i think it will be vientiane but maybe have a week up there and look around a bit more, and maybe plan come back nearer to chang mai and chang rai as i havent been yet!

for the latest visa updates click here

at Vientiene do they ask for bank statement to get tourist visa?? i am a little bit worry about this....

i was told i might have to show one on my first trip to vientiene, so i took my bank book, having said that i have never been asked and to my knowledge on here anyway certainly in last 6 months as lite beer says big no, but if you have one, take one, its not heavy!

"No - the only question is usually the blee@ing obvious..."are you hot?". As you stand in a puddle of your own persperation melting away"

i think gas is ref, how hot it is in the que, whilst waiting, go early but then again on here there have been big ques early, so be prepared!

chris

i think gas is ref, how hot it is in the que, whilst waiting, go early but then again on here there have been big ques early, so be prepared!

chris

There's also been a number of reports about people arriving late (after 10am) going straight through. I may try that next time as I intend to stay for an extra day anyway so if it's a problem I'll still be able to apply the next day.

chris

There's also been a number of reports about people arriving late (after 10am) going straight through. I may try that next time as I intend to stay for an extra day anyway so if it's a problem I'll still be able to apply the next day.

hey up tropo, how ya doin mate, from memory you went a very similar time to me no? how you goiing with your time table, still on scheduleish?

hey youve put some input into this thread, you must do about as much work in life as me, nil :o

catch ya soon mate

chris

hey up tropo, how ya doin mate, from memory you went a very similar time to me no? how you goiing with your time table, still on scheduleish?

hey youve put some input into this thread, you must do about as much work in life as me, nil :o

catch ya soon mate

chris

I'm on a similar schedue to you, just a month behind. Later this month I'll be after my last 30 day extension and then I plan to do a visa exempt run and a trip back to the Philippines so I won't be hitting Vietiane again until about September/October. I hope it stays good.

I have a question for you Chris. How did you go on your last 30 day extension down at the Jomtien Immigration office? Did they insist on seeing an air ticket out? I got a feeling from my last visit there in March they were getting a little tougher - even asking for telephone numbers to be written on the application form. My address is not a hotel, but they asked me the name.

catch ya soon mate

chris

I'm on a similar schedue to you, just a month behind. Later this month I'll be after my last 30 day extension and then I plan to do a visa exempt run and a trip back to the Philippines so I won't be hitting Vietiane again until about September/October. I hope it stays good.

I have a question for you Chris. How did you go on your last 30 day extension down at the Jomtien Immigration office? Did they insist on seeing an air ticket out? I got a feeling from my last visit there in March they were getting a little tougher - even asking for telephone numbers to be written on the application form. My address is not a hotel, but they asked me the name.

sounds like you going visiting your lass's family? my visits to imigration have been fine, i have read on here of problems, but never had any myselfe, if you do whowever have problems i think there is help to be found in the coffe shop!

it might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

so maybe have somthing to do with that, lopuri maestro?

chris

sounds like you going visiting your lass's family? my visits to imigration have been fine, i have read on here of problems, but never had any myselfe, if you do whowever have problems i think there is help to be found in the coffe shop!

it might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

so maybe have somthing to do with that, lopuri maestro?

chris

It was reported awhile back that Jomtien Immigration were asking to see outbound tickets. They were even refusing many people who didn't have them a 30 day extension and giving them 7 days.

I always go there with a ticket just in case, but one time they took my GF's ticket but didn't take mine.

I just had a feeling they were getting more strict than they used to be.

You didn't say whether or not you show an airticket when you get your extension at Jomtien.

You do need an air ticket (or proof of onward travel) when you go for a visa-exempt entry at Ban Laem, however it can be taken care of by purchasing the 200 baht bogus bus ticket. You don't need an air ticket (or bogus bus ticket) if you are entering on a second entry of a tourist visa.

Edited by tropo

Also going to Aranyaprathet with Jack Golf doesn't require an outbound air ticket not bogus bus ticket. But the price is a little higher tnan it used to be (THB 2,200) so

I guess a little tea money is paid out of that amount.

Cheers Chris and whatsup Tropo and you other guys following this always up to date thread.

As far as the regular Thai TV,I was impressed with Vientiane even more this time than back in Jan.

The Lao immi officers were a bit stern faced,but all went well,and NO ONE AROUND on a tuesday when we arrived around 9:45 AM,and through most of the afternoon...NO one in line at embassy either.. Also,the country is coming up...a noticeable difference just since Jan. Looks like yet another country in the region moving along faster than here. Good to keep this thread going,as the Vientiane post seems to be the last bastion of civility.

cheers

Mel

..... doesn't require an outbound air ticket not bogus bus ticket.

???

Do you mean it doesn't require any ticket?

just looked at that jack golf site, tropo seems ok, having said that from pattaya its got to be at least an hour further away so presumeibly thats 2 hours extra on a day when you probobly dont want to go anyway, or ban leam pay 200 bhat for ticket!

"You didn't say whether or not you show an airticket when you get your extension at Jomtien"

no not asked again

"t might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

"so maybe have somthing to do with that, lopuri, maestro?"

chris

I returned from Vientiane last week. Everything was smooth as silk. I followed one of the Border Run operators and the group was as big as 20 with many Filipinos. We queued up to hand in our application, but didn't have to do so for collection. The passports were given to us while we were still in the MPV. Wonderful !

I'm not sure if Vientiane offers back to back double entry TR. Thinking of going back to Vientiane when my TR expires. It's kind of a hassle to do a border run every month.

..... doesn't require an outbound air ticket not bogus bus ticket.

???

Do you mean it doesn't require any ticket?

just looked at that jack golf site, tropo seems ok, having said that from pattaya its got to be at least an hour further away so presumeibly thats 2 hours extra on a day when you probobly dont want to go anyway, or ban leam pay 200 bhat for ticket!

"You didn't say whether or not you show an airticket when you get your extension at Jomtien"

no not asked again

"t might have somthing to do with, you are extending a tourist visa? and at ban leam if you are re entering on a tourist visa you dont need a onward journy ticket, yet your next visit you are a visa exempt so you do need one?

"so maybe have somthing to do with that, lopuri, maestro?"

chris

I am not sure of your question but you do not extend a tourist visa by exit/entry. Extension can only be done at an immigration office using form TM.7 and payment of 1,900 baht. Now if you are thinking of a second tourist visa entry for 60 days - that would not normally require a ticket at the border. It is the visa exempt 30 day stamp that some places will ask to see an outbound ticket.

I returned from Vientiane last week. Everything was smooth as silk. I followed one of the Border Run operators and the group was as big as 20 with many Filipinos. We queued up to hand in our application, but didn't have to do so for collection. The passports were given to us while we were still in the MPV. Wonderful !

I'm not sure if Vientiane offers back to back double entry TR. Thinking of going back to Vientiane when my TR expires. It's kind of a hassle to do a border run every month.

I had no trouble getting a back to back one last month rookie :o