Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

is Vientiane still getting all the traffic they were getting last month?

i'm looking to go for a tourist visa in the first week of april and want to know if i can make it on the train that leaves bkk at 20.00. took this train before and didn't have any problem getting across the border and to the embassy in time, but that only leaves about an hour or so before the noon closing, so if there's a lot of people, maybe that's not doable anymore.

anyone taken the train up to get a visa recently? which did you take? since i'm going right before the new year holidays, i kinda need to make sure i get this right on the first try.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sorry...i realized that i would rather fly.

can i still get to the embassy on time if i arrive in udon 0815 and take the airport limo (still running?) to the border?

what about the return? is there any problem catching the return flight from udon thani to bkk at 17:40? will i still be waiting at the embassy in vientianne at 3pm, wondering if i can possibly catch my flight?

i've read past reports but they all seem to be about 1-2 years old. would assume no difficulties if there weren't too much traffic at the embassy, but reports of hundreds of people recently worries me. is this still doable?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was able to get double entry visas in Laos after they have had their previous one extended (ex. 90 60 + 30 days on a single entry visa or 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 days on a double entry visa?

Is it possible that this could cause difficulties currently? I hear they are in Malaysia.

Thanks.

I've had no problem as yet, but I have only had 2 double entries. Hopefully I will not have a problem next month.

Apart from that

I prefer to get my Lao visa in Khon Kaen before I go. I get the bus to Udon, then the bus to Vientiane morning market. As you cannot book this bus in advance, there is always the risk that it is full. Does anyone have the timetable for buses from Nong Khai to Vientiane? Do they leave from the same bus station that the buses from Udon arrive at or somewhere else.

thanks in advance :)

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone was able to get double entry visas in Laos after they have had their previous one extended (ex. 90 60 + 30 days on a single entry visa or 60 + 30 + 60 + 30 days on a double entry visa?

Is it possible that this could cause difficulties currently? I hear they are in Malaysia.

Thanks.

Vientiane is not a problem, providing you were not given a red warning stamp from the consulate previously. The only reports of problems in Malaysia are with the consulate at Penang, where new tourist visas are being declined if the applicant has previously received an extension of stay from Thai immigration.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks.

I did just that, no problems in Vientiane as the others have said

sorry...i realized that i would rather fly.

can i still get to the embassy on time if i arrive in udon 0815 and take the airport limo (still running?) to the border?

what about the return? is there any problem catching the return flight from udon thani to bkk at 17:40? will i still be waiting at the embassy in vientianne at 3pm, wondering if i can possibly catch my flight?

i've read past reports but they all seem to be about 1-2 years old. would assume no difficulties if there weren't too much traffic at the embassy, but reports of hundreds of people recently worries me. is this still doable?

The first week of April will be busy again because of the free visas,you should be able to make it to Udon for 4.30 assuming you are first up to pick up and get taxis quickly,i was at the border for over an hour last month so be careful,but you could always pay for a flyer through the customs i suppose if it was touch and go?

The first week of April will be busy again because of the free visas,

I don't think it will be any busier just because visas are free. When peoples' visas expire they need to get new ones whether they are free or not.

I am planning to get a double entry from Perth before leaving Australia this time and i guess it will be a matter of luck if thats granted...then maybe go for another roll of the dice in Laos after the six months is up (i already have 2 in passport)

I think the law does cut you a little slack if you spend time in another country between visits?

But as always it does seem a bit hard to get a solid ruling as to the times and limits between visits and what the actual laws therin are...

Maybe some of the mods have got a better understanding?

With 2 tourist visas so far would not expect you to have a problem obtaining another from Perth. From their website it would appear that triple entry tourist visa is available - which with extensions would give nearly 9 months stay. But if here for the longer term would suggest obtaining multiple entry Non-O visa on basis of visiting friends; 90 day permission to stay on each entry, do a final border run just before visa expires to obtain new 90 day permission to stay stretching visa to 15 months. Would however need signed copy of passport/ID card of Thai friend.

I did a visa run last week to Vientiane.

Got to the border and got my Laos visa (USD$30 + $1) in about 10 minutes.

200 baht for a van to my hotel.

Got to the embassy at about 8:50am, gates were open, received number 195. Applied for the visa (2000baht, double entry tourist) and was back in my hotel at 10:30am.

Pick up day, arrived at the embassy at about 12:50pm, waited in the tuk tuk as there was a queue. Gates opened at 1pm, from memory I was number 86 and picked up the visa and was back at the hotel by 1:45pm

Mussen, sorry, but can I ask what nationality you are? I was under the impression they were 35USD - but maybe that's just the American price.

So aside from the visa application and photos (per the Thai embassy website), I also need a copy of the Lao visa stamp, and a copy of the passport info page, correct?

Also, can anyone help clarify - are they very strict about the photos? Like do they need to be proper passport photos? Everytime I try to get some taken here in town, no matter what I say I want, I get back your typical Thai portrait/bust photo. Are those good enough?

I also need a copy of the Lao visa stamp, and a copy of the passport info page, correct?

The few times that I have been to Vientiane for a tourist visa they have not asked for a copy of the Lao visa stamp. This is just something that the people outside the Consulate tell you to get a few extra Baht.

Yes you need a copy of the passport main page. I also take a copy of my last visa and entry just in case. I have these anyway, so it's no bother.

Also, can anyone help clarify - are they very strict about the photos?

The photos that I use are Thai style (They like to have the bust type photos to show any medals :) )

It's a Thai Consulate, so they wouldn't expect Farang style passport photos. My photos are larger than the place to stick them, so they covered the "number of entries required" line. If that happens make sure that you write the entries seperately

After everything was done and dusted in Laos, I found that my biggest problem was getting from the border to Udon airport for a reasonable price.

The airport "Limos" aren't allowed to pick up from the bridge.

Any suggestions? :)

After everything was done and dusted in Laos, I found that my biggest problem was getting from the border to Udon airport for a reasonable price.

I have been approached by touts at the Lao border point looking for passengers to go to Udon airport for 200 Baht, but only once and I've been across the border many times.

If you get the transport from Udon airport to Vientiane, the obvious place for the return journey would be wherever they drop you off. I don't think that the "Limos" (not sure what you mean by this) like to return empty, so if you go from Udon to Vientiane with the "Limo", maybe ask about the return journey.

The photos that I use are Thai style (They like to have the bust type photos to show any medals :) )

It's a Thai Consulate, so they wouldn't expect Farang style passport photos. My photos are larger than the place to stick them, so they covered the "number of entries required" line. If that happens make sure that you write the entries seperately

That makes perfect sense. (facepalm) Why didn't I think of that? :D

Thank you.

-jn

Simple. Get the international bus from the morning market bus station in Vientiane. 80b direct to Udon.

Hi All,

Went to Embassey in Vientiane, Laos yesterday and have just got back..so what does that tell yer...LOL had 5 back to back's and was refused..so only got 15 days at the border. Got there 9.30am say about 150 - 200 there...when my number was called i was called to window 1...the lad was sat there thought great he's alright had him everytime b4....2 girls sat at window 2...there was a thai lass with her french boyfriend in front of me and they where firing questions at the lad so one one the girls grabbed my application and passport and passed it to her fellow worker...she glanced through it...then gave me it back with a photocopied letter...I said whats this and she just said refused too many tourist visas...she said wait there and the consolute would come and see me.

the letter says...

ANNOUNCEMENT ON TOURIST VISA APPLICATION ROYAL THAI EMBASSY, VIENTIANE, LAO PDR

As there has been a number of visa applicants having entered Thailand via a tourist visa and misused it to illegally seek employment during their stay and upon its expiry, sought to re-apply their tourist visas at the Royal Thai Embassy in neighbouring countries, requests for visa renewal by such applicants are subject to rejection as their applications are not based on tourism motive, but to cointinue their illegal employment, which is unlawful.

This is in accordance with the Immigration Act, B.E. 2552 which stipulates that visa applicants are required to clearly express their real purpose of visiting Thailand. Should the case be found that the applicant's real intention were concealed, the application will be rejected.

Please be informed that the intention of applicants to repeatedly depart and re-enter Thailand via a tourist visa issued by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries in recent years upon it's expiry, is considered as concealment of real purpose of visiting Thailand. Thus their visas applications will be rejected....dated and stamped September 3, 2009

on the back it's got aload of bumph about BRI & JOY setting up there company..think they are Visa Tour Agents...totally amazing..lol

When I went in I seen a small thai bloke talking to a couple of people near the smoking area and when the consolute came it was him so not sure if they or any others got knock-backs..all he kept doing was pointing to paragraph 3..kept me cool and was calm, polite but he was having none of it.

went into town for a couple of beers as I knew the bus back to bangkok didn't leave till 8.30pm...went to see a Wat a tuk tuk friend of mine..we had a beer and I explained what happened..he made a call and 10 minutes later this well dressed lad appeared with all the paperwork etc for applying for the visa..looked like he maybe one of the touts from outside the embassy but to be truthful I'd not seen him outside b4....he said he could get everything sorted..100 % certainty for 8,000 baht...passport would be delivered back the next day....I only had 6,000 on me and had left me credit card indoors....if anyone ends up in the same situation as myself and wants Wat's number PM me.....

Block

Simple. Get the international bus from the morning market bus station in Vientiane. 80b direct to Udon.

"international bus" Please explain.

How regular is it?

Block2,

I assume that as you haven't mentioned it, you did not already have a red stamp. Did you get your previous visa at Vientiane?

went to see a Wat a tuk tuk friend of mine..we had a beer and I explained what happened

What's a "Wat a tuk tuk friend" ?

I don't think that I'd hand my passport and 8,000 Baht to a stranger, no matter what they promise.

Gungadin,

the international bus to Udon that leaves about 2PM is usually full and you cannot book in advance. You need to show your passport when you buy the ticket. So you may have to wait for the 4PM (Don't remember the exact times). It takes you to the bus station in Udon, so you will have to take other transport from there to the airport.

Last time I was on the 4 pm bus, I missed the Nok Air and Air Asia flights. However, Thai Air still has a later flight which costs

only 2000,- Baht.

There are Tuk Tuks and motorbikes at the bus station which take you to the airport for 100,- THB

Khun Ngo, is that really คุณโง่? Mr Foolish? :D I don't think so.

GungaDin,

If you do get your visa quickly, there is a chance that you can make it in time to catch the 2PM bus, but the more people that know about it, the less likely it becomes :)

When you walk out of the consulate, you tell the Tuk Tuk that you want to go to the morning market, they should all understand the English, otherwise Dtalat Sao. You should pay no more than 40 Baht, but remember that you will need to hurry. They will often try to put you in a baht bus and then wait for it to fill up. Stress that you want to go right now! They will offer you 100 to 200 Baht. Walk towards the corner where the Tuk Tuks are well out of line for the next customers - someone will take you for 40 Baht straight away. It's not very far.

Edit. By the way, when negotiating with the Tuk Tuks, I don't stop walking, they are then chasing me for my business :D

Edited by loong

I have been approached by touts at the Lao border point looking for passengers to go to Udon airport for 200 Baht, but only once and I've been across the border many times.

If you get the transport from Udon airport to Vientiane, the obvious place for the return journey would be wherever they drop you off. I don't think that the "Limos" (not sure what you mean by this) like to return empty, so if you go from Udon to Vientiane with the "Limo", maybe ask about the return journey.

Every single time I clear the Laos checkpoint the transport touts grab me to go to Udon Airport. I've never paid more than 200 baht. If you don't use these touts (they are just beside the box where you buy your Friendship Bridge bus ticket) you'll meet many more just the other side of the Thai Immigration checkpoint. 200 baht should do it.

the letter says...

Please be informed that the intention of applicants to repeatedly depart and re-enter Thailand via a tourist visa issued by the Royal Thai Embassy or the Royal Thai Consulate in neighboring countries in recent years upon it's expiry, is considered as concealment of real purpose of visiting Thailand. Thus their visas applications will be rejected....dated and stamped September 3, 2009

Looks like the Vientiane visa factory has finally shut down. They've probably had enough of issuing free tourist visas. The question remains, how many times will they allow back-to-back tourist visas. Once only...twice?

In my recent trip the agent said 4 times max.... but seemingly OK if you pay a payment under the counter. You have to use an agent to arrange this for you. Best alternative failing getting an O category non immigration is the Education visa.

the letter says...

Looks like the Vientiane visa factory has finally shut down. They've probably had enough of issuing free tourist visas. The question remains, how many times will they allow back-to-back tourist visas. Once only...twice?