Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

In my recent trip the agent said 4 times max.... but seemingly OK if you pay a payment under the counter. You have to use an agent to arrange this for you. Best alternative failing getting an O category non immigration is the Education visa.

By 4 times max, do you mean 4 double-entries or 4 singles (2 double-entries) ?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my recent trip the agent said 4 times max.... but seemingly OK if you pay a payment under the counter. You have to use an agent to arrange this for you. Best alternative failing getting an O category non immigration is the Education visa.

I wouldn't recommend banking on any particular number. The nationality of the passport holder also comes into play.

It's a crapshoot for anyone right now. The fact that people can pay their way into a tourist visa, albeit it expensive, is useful for people with spare cash.

Isn't that letter about visa limits the same letter that's been circulating for the past half a year now? If so what changes have been made to limit tourist visas as we haven't had anyone with a red stamp try to get another tourist visa yet.

Similar notices have been seen at other consulates, but this is the first time we have had letter issuance reported combined with visa decline. There have been a couple of reports of people with the red stamp from Vientiane applying and obtaining a new tourist visa at other consulates.

four entries is my understanding.. so two double entries is the limit. i can't see it dependent on any particular country.

four entries is my understanding.. so two double entries is the limit. i can't see it dependent on any particular country.

Your understanding is wrong. There is no rule about how many entries an applicant has. If you read through this thread you'll discover that it varies widely and nationality does come into the equation...as my Filipino GF would be happy to verify for you (after they started refusing back-to-back tourist visas to Asians late last year).

With hundreds of applicants coming through everyday I doubt they count entries at all, only visa stickers. Some people have been given warning stamps after they counted visas from years ago.

The best advice would be to make no assumptions about what will happen in Vientiane.

Edited by tropo

Ref: My experience with the international bus to Udon.

Submitted passport on Monday (busiest day)

Went to queue to pick it up an hour early on Tuesday. 12pm. Was about 5th in the queue.

Gates opened at 1pm, I was out of there within a few minutes.

Onto my rented Honda wave and down to the bus station by the morning market by 1.25. Bought my ticket for 2pm.

Dropped my honda back to the hotel across the road. Picked up my bags.

Was back at the bus station by 1.40 - 1.45.

Bus left at 2pm.

80baht.

No rushing as everything is close together.

Right on the mark just make sure you reenter Thailand on or before your visa expires not the date stamp immigration gives you, you may want to think about a non imm visa of the appropriate class if you want to stay beyond 12 months without a break.

Is there a limit on the number of Tourist Visa you can apply before they finally say no to any application ?

The Thai embassy in Singapore told me you can stay for 12 months on consecutive TR visas from Embassies/Consulates with some exceptions for some missions but they could have changed that since as it was a while ago, before they introduced the 15 days at the border for those entering without any visa.

Edited by Stjohnm

Is there a limit on the number of Tourist Visa you can apply before they finally say no to any application ?

Yes, of course there is a limit. I suggest you read this thread to find out what's actually going on in Vietiane. There have been many reports about refusals and red warning stamps.

So far, what has there been, one European refused without getting a red warning stamp? - Reported on Thaivisa at least.

I've had 2 double entry tourist visas so far and intend to go next month for another. After that I will definitely have to go to the UK and get a non-o.

I have a new passport and had the last permission to stay transferred and extended. I'm not sure if this will make any difference.

My permission to stay expires on Sunday the 18th April. Everyone should note that the consulate is closed for 4 days , Tues 13th to Fri 16th April for Songkran.

I'm wondering that as it is going to be very busy on Monday 19th after being closed for effectively a week, will they be more likely to dismiss applications out of hand?

So far, what has there been, one European refused without getting a red warning stamp? - Reported on Thaivisa at least.

I've had 2 double entry tourist visas so far and intend to go next month for another. After that I will definitely have to go to the UK and get a non-o.

I have a new passport and had the last permission to stay transferred and extended. I'm not sure if this will make any difference.

My permission to stay expires on Sunday the 18th April. Everyone should note that the consulate is closed for 4 days , Tues 13th to Fri 16th April for Songkran.

I'm wondering that as it is going to be very busy on Monday 19th after being closed for effectively a week, will they be more likely to dismiss applications out of hand?

I know of a number of Filipinos who have been refused without red warning stamps. My gf included. Some were reported on here.

This refusal for the UK citizen last week is particulary telling. It was during the month when people are still paying for tourist visas and toward a favoured nationality....and WITHOUT a warning stamp. He was also handed an information leaflet stating that back-to-back tourist visas are going to be considered as evidence that applicants are working illegally BY DEFAULT.

What's going to happen next month when they are once again free. I can't see it getting easier.

The consulate in Vientiane must be getting a lot of pressure from above to stop issuing tourist visas so freely. I'm not surprised they're tightening up. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Edited by tropo

re post #1454

I was in Singapore last week. Is there a ruder embassy, anywhere?

We, and especially my Thai partner, were horrified at the manner in which the screaming banshee spoke to people in the queue. i presume she is there to 'help' before you get to the counter.

There was no 'help/information' counter, and neither of the two staff on duty could speak Thai (partner had questions).

She (crazed banshee woman) looked at my application and squawked repeatedly "no return ticket no visa" while we were waiting in line. Woman at counter asked if i had my Thai bankbook, and yes I'd had them both updated the day before - so it was 'no problem' she simply recorded the fact I had plenty in the bank.

Got the visa OK next day, but for service level i was shocked. 2 out of 10.

I prefer to get my Lao visa in Khon Kaen before I go. I get the bus to Udon, then the bus to Vientiane morning market. As you cannot book this bus in advance, there is always the risk that it is full. Does anyone have the timetable for buses from Nong Khai to Vientiane? Do they leave from the same bus station that the buses from Udon arrive at or somewhere else

Thanks

If I'm a shareholder of a Thai majority company, and maybe a director as well (but without a work permit), can I apply for Non-O Visa ?

Not in Vientiane, for those purposes. For multiple trips to Thailand within a year for business purposes you can apply for a multiple-entry non-B visa in your country of residence.

--

Maestro

If I'm a shareholder of a Thai majority company, and maybe a director as well (but without a work permit), can I apply for Non-O Visa ?

Not in Vientiane, for those purposes. For multiple trips to Thailand within a year for business purposes you can apply for a multiple-entry non-B visa in your country of residence.

--

Maestro

Thank you. So non-B is strictly obtainable only at country of residence ? But I haven't been back for a long time. And the strange thing is the company is Thai registered, nothing to do with my country of residence.

BTW, what is the duration of a non-B ?

Non-B visa can be issued within the region, but only with full company paperwork and sight of work permit or Form WP3 receipt from labour office showing WP has been applied for (and as you have neither was suggested to obtain in home country where visa issuing requirements are generally more liberal). Within the region it would be single entry visa first time round giving 90 day stay; can be renewed later for 12 months with WP showing at least 8 months remaining. Outside the region consulate may issue multiple-entry Non-B visa (valid for 12 months) against company letter of intent, but will depend what consulate you apply at. Honorary consulates tend to be more helpful.

Nearest consulate to Thailand currently issuing multiple entry Non-B visa without sight of WP is Perth, requiring company documents, work contract and letter from company requesting issue of multiple entry visa. Not sure if this helps you given work contract requirement (but maybe letter from company saying 'intention to employ' will suffice for at least Year 1), but the link is here for information. Maybe worth contacting the consulate for guidance. They are pretty helpful.

Hello,

My 30 d tourist visa is expiring next week and I want to apply for a 2x tourist visa in Vientiane. I'm currently in Chiang Mai, but have no idea about the process, or about any places that organize this run. Does anyone know exactly what the procedure is, what I need to prepare before I go, how long it takes , what the costs are and how to get there?

Hope someone can help!?

THanks in advance..

H

What you need to prepare is a pass photo, the cost is 1,000 per entry, but it might be free as of 1st of April. (That is what the goverment announced).

Apply in the morning of day 1 and pick it up the next day.

This thread should give you all the information you need.

…So non-B is strictly obtainable only at country of residence ? …

You see, a visa is for the purpose of travelling to Thailand and on arrival in Thailand the visa holder will receive permission to stay for a limited period. It is the extension of stay, applied for and obtained repeatedly at the local immigration office, that serves the purpose of a long-term stay. Neither ownership of shares of a Thai company nor being a non-executive director in a Thai company necessitates a long-term stay in the country and this explains why there is no extension of stay available for this.

If a foreign non-executive director of a Thai company needs to travel to Thailand several times a year to attend board meetings he is an obvious candidate for the multiple-entry non-B visa. As he is assumed to be living in his country of residence in between board meetings he is expected to apply there for his visa, although there may be a few consulates that issue it also to non-residents.

--

Maestro

Just got back from Vientiane. No free tourist visas. When i asked they just said no and asked for 2000baht for double entry visa.

Although free visas are a bonus, that's not so important to me as the possibility of being refused. Did you have any previous tourist visas?

Just got back from Vientiane. No free tourist visas. When i asked they just said no and asked for 2000baht for double entry visa.

Although free visas are a bonus, that's not so important to me as the possibility of being refused. Did you have any previous tourist visas?

i just recieved a new passport my consulate told me that i could not get any more added pages. i had 14 tourist visas in the last one

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my fourth double entry tourist visa all from Vientiane just before the Songkran holiday. I have a U.S. passport and have been living but not working in Thailand for 3 1/2 years now. I was worried about all the reports about red stamps and possible denial; however, I did not have a problem and was not questioned. I did go back to the U.S. for two months prior so this application was not a back-to-back. As mentioned before, no free visa. THB 2,000 for the double entry.