Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know the latest possible time to arrive at Thai consulate in Vientiane and still be able to submit application. I know the closing time is listed as 12 pm but do they stop taking people after a certain time or if too many applicants?

Cheers....

I was there the Monday after the 4 day Songkran holiday (19th April). Sometime after 11AM they closed the gates and would only let you in if you already had a number. This was a very busy day, so I guess that they had reached their maximum for accepting applications.

BTW, I didn't hear of anybody being given a red stamp or refusal, but I obviously only spoke with a very small % of applicants. I had a few beers with 2 Burmese men that were working in Thailand with back to back tourist visas and they had no problems getting double entries.

The visas were not free

Does anyone know the latest possible time to arrive at Thai consulate in Vientiane and still be able to submit application. I know the closing time is listed as 12 pm but do they stop taking people after a certain time or if too many applicants?

Cheers....

I was there the Monday after the 4 day Songkran holiday (19th April). Sometime after 11AM they closed the gates and would only let you in if you already had a number. This was a very busy day, so I guess that they had reached their maximum for accepting applications.

BTW, I didn't hear of anybody being given a red stamp or refusal, but I obviously only spoke with a very small % of applicants. I had a few beers with 2 Burmese men that were working in Thailand with back to back tourist visas and they had no problems getting double entries.

The visas were not free

Currently no red stamps , but that Burmese Nationals are getting back to back Double Entry Tourist Visas is , based on my experience, not possible.

Loong,

thanks for the heads-up.

Did you DIY?

So much for free tvisas! :)

Yes, I did DIY, no agents used.

As my permission to stay expired on the 18th, I arrived in Vientiane on the Sunday night. I knew that it would be hectic after the 4 day holiday, so decided to take it easy, intending to return Wednesday, instead of the Tuesday. I stayed near the consulate and could see the queue growing as I enjoyed my leisurely breakfast and multiple cups of coffee.

When the last of the queue had gone through the gate, I waited about 15 minutes, wandered over and collected a ticket. It was number 398. I then went back to my room and relaxed. I popped over later to see how they were doing and then went back again just after 11-30. The gate was shut and they needed to see my ticket before they would let me in.

I still had quite a wait, the people who had applied for visas before the holiday were already collecting them by the time I paid for mine.

I sat and chatted with the 2 Burmese guys while waiting as I had met 1 of them the night before. I saw their Myanmar passports and their applications. 1 of them already had at least 2 doubles and the other 1 double, with an educational visa prior to that. We met up again that night as one was staying in the same place as me.

The next day I went over about 2-30PM and with no waiting, collected my passport with the new visa.

I went to the morning market, the next morning, but couldn't get a bus to Udon until 2PM as the next 2 were fully booked.

Allowing the extra day made the whole experience a lot less hassle. No queuing and then rushing to catch transport back to Thailand.

Cheers....

The visas were not free

Currently no red stamps , but that Burmese Nationals are getting back to back Double Entry Tourist Visas is , based on my experience, not possible.

Yes, I was surprised. I was expecting them to be disappointed. I saw the visas in their passports though. Maybe it would have been different if the visas had been free.

One thing that I forgot to mention - although the form does not include it, they were adding the address of where you are staying in Vientiane as you put in your application. Make sure that you have a card with the address of where you are staying.

This may be a silly question but when you take the bus from UT direct to Vientiane where/when do you get your entry stamp to Laos?

I'm making the Chiang Mai-UT-Vientiane for the first time next week. I'm going by bus (probably) and already have my Lao visa in hand.

cr

The bus company requires that you have a Laos visa BEFORE you can buy a bus ticket for Udon Thani to Vientiane. If you are planning to take the bus from Thailand to Laos you must get your Laos visa in advance.

The bus will drop everyone off at the Thailand border and wait until everyone has exited Thailand Immigration. It will then drop everyone off at the Laos immigration and wait for everyone to clear. That is why they require the Laos visa for expatriates since the visa process might delay the bus more than just clearing with a visa.

Edited by thaiphoon
No need to quote post directly above

The free visa scheme starts today (Wednesday), according to a Bangkok Post article titled "Tourist arrivals down at Suvarnabhumi" (Published: 27/04/2010 at 11:14 AM). Here's the sentence:

He said other tourism promotion measures, such as the free visa scheme o begin on Wednesday, were also expaected to boost tourist arrivals.
Edited by hyperdimension

• 2 weeks later...
I keep reading that the consulate needs a copy of your most recent "stamps". Does that mean the copy needs to include the Thai exit stamp?

Thanks cr

They do not require anything except the copy of the page with your photo and passport number. If they suddenly decide that you need a photocopy of something else, they will direct you to the photocopy machine in the building (never happened to me).

All this crap is to worry you and make you use the services that the touts offer outside. Not necessary!

I keep reading that the consulate needs a copy of your most recent "stamps". Does that mean the copy needs to include the Thai exit stamp?

Thanks cr

They do not require anything except the copy of the page with your photo and passport number. If they suddenly decide that you need a photocopy of something else, they will direct you to the photocopy machine in the building (never happened to me).

All this crap is to worry you and make you use the services that the touts offer outside. Not necessary!

Thanx loong, thought so but topic needed a bump ne way :)

Just got back from Vientiane with a FREE double entry tourist Visa. Got there at almost 11am on the 11th and picked up Que #484, there were about 100 people ahead of me. Took a little over an hour. Only thing new that I haven't read here before is that the Consulate want you put where your staying in Vientiane and a phone number on the visa app or they won't accept it. Mai pen rai, people just shared info with those that didn't already have a hotel room. Pick up was the usual, start the next day at 1pm everyone pretty much done by 2. And the race to the border begins.

Bottom line is everyone I saw that applied for a double entry tourist visa got it for free with no problems.

cr

So they are definitely free again? Just a friend of a friend (yes, sorry, bit obscure i know) has said that they didnt get a free visa. Which struck me as odd. Anyone heard of some people being charged?

Thank you thaiphoon. At this time I actually dont know where she applied..i was just asked (whole friend of a friend malarky). I have passed on your info though. If i find out more details ill post again. Thanks.

Just got back from Vientiane with a FREE double entry tourist Visa. Got there at almost 11am on the 11th and picked up Que #484, there were about 100 people ahead of me. Took a little over an hour. Only thing new that I haven't read here before is that the Consulate want you put where your staying in Vientiane and a phone number on the visa app or they won't accept it. Mai pen rai, people just shared info with those that didn't already have a hotel room. Pick up was the usual, start the next day at 1pm everyone pretty much done by 2. And the race to the border begins.

Bottom line is everyone I saw that applied for a double entry tourist visa got it for free with no problems.

cr

I miss those days of waiting behind 100 people in the hot sun. So much fun fun fun. then the border cram jam the next day. Oh the fun memories

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone payed in dollars for the Laos visa,how much is it for a uk national in dollars at the moment any updates appreciated,i have payed in bht before but last time it was 1540 bt,just thinking is it worthwhile getting some dollar instead if its still 35??

Yes i know the $1 dollar is for working overtime at the border,possibly to pay the staffs wages that do the visas lol!!

I think it is if you arrive before 8/9am and after 5/6pm but not 100% sure on the times.

So for an Aussie it works out 900 bt not bad compared to the 1540bt i paid last time!

Still not sure how much it is in dollars for a Brit Anyone?

So for an Aussie it works out 900 bt not bad compared to the 1540bt i paid last time!

At an exchange rate of 32 baht/USD it's 960 baht during normal hours and 992 baht during overtime hours for an Australian.

At an exchange rate of 32 baht/USD it's 960 baht during normal hours and 992 baht during overtime hours for an Australian.

Yes Tropo top of the class for you today! :) i wonder if you could be so specific for me as to the exact dollar rate for a Uk national.

That would be very helpful :D

Yes Tropo top of the class for you today! :) i wonder if you could be so specific for me as to the exact dollar rate for a Uk national.

That would be very helpful :D

The only reason why I mentioned it was because the USD hasn't quite sunk to 29 baht yet.

You should be more concerned about the Aussie dollar which has badly tanked over the last 2 weeks. :D:D