Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will be off to lao for my first 2xtourist visa`s in a few days...not done it before, and i will be traveling by car from surin with my thai gf who has a passport...can some one kindly tell me step by step what to do, no if or buts just a simple step by step 1,2,3,4and 5 kind of thing, eg hotel for safe parking in thailand for car, how long will i need to stay in lao, embassy issues etc...so much broken info on here my head is spinning...thanks so much hd :)

I am currently on a Non-Immigrant ED visa (I was studying here) which will expire on Dec 5. An extension of my ED visa would be too expensive (I would have to register for another semester at the university ~25,000 THB). In the "Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne" thread it was said that in Vientiane you can still get a 3-months tourist visa which you can extend by another 3 month. So I would like to ask if this is still possible. I would travel to Vientianne in the next days. Do I have to bring any documents? What exactly do I have to apply for (i.e. what do I have to tell the guys at the counter)?

Furthermore I would like to ask for advise on how to travel there. I do not want to spend much money for an airplane ticket. Bus or train to Nong Khai and then go on.. Are there any best practices you can provide how to get to Vientiane for the tourist visa? I do not mind staying in Nong Khai or Vientiane for a night or two..

Thanks!

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

I am currently on a Non-Immigrant ED visa (I was studying here) which will expire on Dec 5. An extension of my ED visa would be too expensive (I would have to register for another semester at the university ~25,000 THB). In the "Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne" thread it was said that in Vientiane you can still get a 3-months tourist visa which you can extend by another 3 month. So I would like to ask if this is still possible. I would travel to Vientianne in the next days. Do I have to bring any documents? What exactly do I have to apply for (i.e. what do I have to tell the guys at the counter)?

Hi, you can apply for a double entry tourist visa for free in Vientiane. I went to Vientiane about a week ago to apply for my Non-immigrant ED visa. A friend applied for the double entry tourist visa...he received it, no fee...

Edit: No need for special documents. Just make sure to copy your passport and current visa stamps + download and print the application form from the Embassy of Thailand in Laos website. Fill the form, attach two recent photographs and you're good to go.

Edited by gehfab

You can apply for a double entry tourist visa at Vientiane. They are currently free. You will get 60 days permission to stay on entry, then extend for 30 days at Thai immigration. Border run in the middle to activate second entry and then obtain another 30 day extension. Nearly 6 months stay on all.

You need to submit application form, 2 photos, fee and passport to embassy. You will also need photo for Laos visa (visa fee around 1500 baht, but depends on nationality).

I don't want to spend much time in Vientiane (was there already for vacation so no sightseeing planned). Is it sure that I will get the visa the next day when applying the day before? Is there a way getting back to Thailand when leaving afternoon?

Sure ! Cross the border (Friendship bridge) After you picked up your passport early at the Consular (passport collection opening time is from 1pm until 3 or 4pm) you are able to catch the night train to Bangkok at approx. 6:20pm in Nong Khai

Edited by gehfab

Thank you! As for getting from BKK to Vientiane I read on http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#Bangkok%20to%20Vientiane that you can take the night train from BKK to Thanaleng and then take a taxi or tuk-tuk. However, the train seems to arrive in Thanaleng around 10.30 plus another taxi/tuk-tuk ride and maybe hotel check-in. So I guess it would not be possible to reach the Thai embassy within their opening hours (Mon-Fri 8.30-12.00 for visa applications according to http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane...ssy_time/) which means I have to stay in Vientiane for 2 nights, right? (arrive in Vientiane by sleeping train and taxi/tuk-tuk in the noon, one night then apply for visa the next day, another night then pick-up the passport and go back to BKK).

Thank you! As for getting from BKK to Vientiane I read on http://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#Bangkok%20to%20Vientiane that you can take the night train from BKK to Thanaleng and then take a taxi or tuk-tuk. However, the train seems to arrive in Thanaleng around 10.30 plus another taxi/tuk-tuk ride and maybe hotel check-in. So I guess it would not be possible to reach the Thai embassy within their opening hours (Mon-Fri 8.30-12.00 for visa applications according to http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane...ssy_time/) which means I have to stay in Vientiane for 2 nights, right (arrive in Vientiane by sleeping train and taxi/tuk-tuk in the noon, one night then apply for visa the next day, another night then pick-up the passport and go back to BKK).

- I recommend you that you better don't take the train to Taladeng, it's just 20 Baht from Nong Khai by train, but the Lao Taxi to Vientiane is more expensive than from the Friendship bridge.

- You can't rely on the Thai-train. They are too often delayed. So don't count on that (to visit the consular at the same day in the morning)

- Arrive in the morning in Vientiane, relax ...

- Then get up very early in the next morning to be one of the first persons in the row (it's really worth it) (Consular NOT Embassy!)

- Submit all your documents at the Counsular

- Grab your visa on the following day

- Return to Thailand at the same day and catch the night train to Bangkok in the evening.

Edited by gehfab

Thanks again!

- I recommend you that you better don't take the train to Taladeng, it's just 20 Baht from Nong Khai by train, but the Lao Taxi to Vientiane is more expensive than from the Friendship bridge.

If I understand you right then train BKK-NK + Taxi NK-VT in total is cheaper than BKK-Taladeng + Taxi Taladeng-VT?

- You can't rely on the Thai-train. They are too often delayed. So don't count on that (to visit the consular at the same day in the morning)

So I definitely have to stay two nights, right? I know that the Thai trai is delayed too often, that is why I was assuming to not be there on time and therefore having to stay another night. But if you mean that I should not got by Thai train but using another way of transportation instead do you have any recommendations? What about public bus or minivan to Nong Khai? How much would be a taxi to Nong Khai?

(Consular NOT Embassy!)

Thanks for that, I would have go to the embassy.. Do you know the website or address of the consulate? I only found the embassy website..

Thanks again!

If I understand you right then train BKK-NK + Taxi NK-VT in total is cheaper than BKK-Taladeng + Taxi Taladeng-VT?

So I definitely have to stay two nights, right? I know that the Thai trai is delayed too often, that is why I was assuming to not be there on time and therefore having to stay another night. But if you mean that I should not got by Thai train but using another way of transportation instead do you have any recommendations? What about public bus or minivan to Nong Khai? How much would be a taxi to Nong Khai?

(Consular NOT Embassy!)

Thanks for that, I would have go to the embassy.. Do you know the website or address of the consulate? I only found the embassy website..

You're welcome !

- I recommend you to take the night train from BKK to NK, then go by Tuk-Tuk to the Friendship bridge. Take the van over the bridge. "check-in" into Lao immigration. Take a Taxi or some kind of Samlor to Vientiane-town.

- When I took the train to Taladeng I shared a Taxi with a friend, 250 Baht for each of us. I think thats too expensive. But it's up to you ! The train ticket to Taladeng from NK is just 20 Baht.

- Besides the delay sometimes, I think night train is a the best way to travel for such a long distance. Because you are able to sleep in one of those beds in the train. (I took the upper bed with fan for 488 Baht one-way)...I felt like a submariner in there ;-) + you can walk, smoke, go to toilet, brush your teeth...whenever you like.

- If you want to hire a taxi, ask a taxi driver. I don't know how much they want. But I think it's not worth the money. You can take a bus, but I prefer the train over the bus (see above)

- Download an use this form for your visa application at the Thai Consular in Vientiane

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/do...tion%20Form.pdf

Check this post for a map of the Thai Consular: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2432633

Edited by gehfab

Hello furum guru's, I would really appreciate some help if you can please?

I am UK citizen, aged 35.

I am currently in Laos, and wish to cross the border into Northern Thailand, overland. I understand the visa rules have changed so that I can now only get a 15 day visa at the border.

Could you suggest some help, this is my situation.

I have an international flight booked from Bangkok on 23rd Dec, and I want to enter Thailand as soon as possible, over land, I am in Luang Prabang, Laos now. At the moment my only option seems to be to wait until 8th Dec, then cross the border?

I will also be coming back to Thailand in 1st week on Feb 2010, for a further 3 weeks, this time I will be flying in to Bangkok. (will I still be able to get 30 day visa on arrival at airport, if I have already been in thailand?)

Many thanks in advance

Stottle :)

Hello furum guru's, I would really appreciate some help if you can please?

I am UK citizen, aged 35.

I am currently in Laos, and wish to cross the border into Northern Thailand, overland. I understand the visa rules have changed so that I can now only get a 15 day visa at the border.

Could you suggest some help, this is my situation.

I have an international flight booked from Bangkok on 23rd Dec, and I want to enter Thailand as soon as possible, over land, I am in Luang Prabang, Laos now. At the moment my only option seems to be to wait until 8th Dec, then cross the border?

I will also be coming back to Thailand in 1st week on Feb 2010, for a further 3 weeks, this time I will be flying in to Bangkok. (will I still be able to get 30 day visa on arrival at airport, if I have already been in thailand?)

Many thanks in advance

Stottle :)

In LP now and want to cross over to Northern Thailand from there, via Ban Houei Sai-Chiang Khong, I presume.

Well, you'll get 15 days at C. Khong, that's all. If you're going to spend some time in northern Thailand, C. Mai, etc, you might plan it so you end up back in C. Khong, cross back over to Ban Houei Sai for a quickie turn around, baht 1,500 or so for Lao Visa On Arrival. Then get back to C. Khong and head south for your flight out.

Mac

Does the following schedule sound realistic to you?

Sun, Nov 29 --- Leave Bangkok Hualumphong with Express train 77 at 18.30

Mon, Nov 30 --- Arrive in Nong Khai around 6.00 in the morning, go to Vientiane and apply for visa

Tue, Dec 01 --- Pickup visa in Vientiane in the afternoon, go to Nong Khai and take train back to Bangkok

Wed, Dec 02 --- Arrive Bangkok early in the morning

(or same for Wed, Dec 02 - Sat, Dec 05)

Bottleneck is the morning arriving in Nong Khai. If taking the early train 77 which should arrive in Nong Khai at 5.05 o'clock scheduled time (so maybe 6.00 o'clock with delay) is there enough time to reach the consulate? Any experiences?

Try it ! If it's too late add one more day (actually two more days, due Holiday= Wed, Dec 02 Lao National Holiday !! The Consular will remain closed on this date). Make sure to prepare all documents before you go to the Consular in Vientiane !

- Copy of passport + visa stamps

- Visa application form (the one from the link, previous post) + 2 recent photographs

Edited by gehfab

Try it ! If it's too late add one more day (actually two more days, due Holiday= Wed, Dec 02 Lao National Holiday !!). Make sure to prepare all documents before you go to the Consular in Vientiane !

- Copy of passport + visa stamps

- Visa application form (the one from the link, previous post) + 2 recent photographs

plus you need passport sized photo for Laos visa.

When I took the train to Taladeng I shared a Taxi with a friend, 250 Baht for each of us.

This always amuses me.

Everytime I arrive over the friendship bridge I walk 2 metres past the taxi guys. Jump on the local bus to Vientiane, there's one every 5 or 10 minutes. Get off at Talat Sao 20 minutes later and the guy is delighted with 20baht (if Ihaven't got kip yet).

When I took the train to Taladeng I shared a Taxi with a friend, 250 Baht for each of us.

This always amuses me.

Everytime I arrive over the friendship bridge I walk 2 metres past the taxi guys. Jump on the local bus to Vientiane, there's one every 5 or 10 minutes. Get off at Talat Sao 20 minutes later and the guy is delighted with 20baht (if Ihaven't got kip yet).

Yes, thats why I recommend to cross border at the Friendship bridge ;-)

This always amuses me.

Yes, thats why I recommend to cross border at the Friendship bridge ;-)

I have done this trip two times using the Nong Khai Thailand, to Thanaleng Laos train, there are buses that meet every train, and go to the bus station in Vientianne, next to the morning market, the buses used are the Thai Laos Friendship buses that charge 25 Baht/5000 kip. When I went there, there was a blackboard with the train and bus times shown, close to the ticket office.

I don't want to spend much time in Vientiane (was there already for vacation so no sightseeing planned). Is it sure that I will get the visa the next day when applying the day before? Is there a way getting back to Thailand when leaving afternoon?

Always be sure to check out the holiday schedules for Laos and Thailand. Combined they have a lot of holidays and you can be caught out. I've had to work around holidays on more than one visa trip to Vientiane.

This always amuses me.

If you're into convenience and don't need to scrounge on small change, it's easier to make a deal with a taxi driver if you're going to the Thai Consulate.

Edited by tropo

What about all those nice "VIP" bus routes going from BKK to Nong Khai? I took on once from ขนส่ง (Khon Song) before after being bombarded by an infinite amount of bus agencies, etc. Found one that a friend recommended, got a ticket for about 400 baht, jumped on the bus, had about 8 hours in a reclining, air conditioned bus that made about three to four stops. Got to Nong Khai about 8 hours later at 4:00am... ate an early breakfast, tuk-tuk over to the bridge and I was there. Haven't done it since then cause I just got a deal prepaying several tickets on Laos Airlines... but the bus trip is certainly a good way to go if you are on a tight budget. Just takes a longer.

What about all those nice "VIP" bus routes going from BKK to Nong Khai? I took on once from ขนส่ง (Khon Song) before after being bombarded by an infinite amount of bus agencies, etc. Found one that a friend recommended, got a ticket for about 400 baht, jumped on the bus, had about 8 hours in a reclining, air conditioned bus that made about three to four stops. Got to Nong Khai about 8 hours later at 4:00am... ate an early breakfast, tuk-tuk over to the bridge and I was there. Haven't done it since then cause I just got a deal prepaying several tickets on Laos Airlines... but the bus trip is certainly a good way to go if you are on a tight budget. Just takes a longer.

I'm amazed that people who live in the Bangkok region don't fly to Udon Thani. You can get a return trip for around 3000 baht or cheaper if you book well in advance. You have a choice of 2 airlines - Nok Air or Air Asia.

Report: First tourist visa, double entry, new German passport, living in Khon Kaen

Monday 23.11.: Khon Kaen Laos consulate to get visa for Laos in new passport. Required:

• Application form.
  • Foto (3x4 cm).
  • Fee for German passport 1200 +200 THB express to get in 10 minutes, else next day.
  • Asked to see old passport.

Tuesday 24.11.

• 7:00 Buy ticket for direct aircon bus Khon Kaen to Vientiane. 180 THB.
  • 7:45 Bus starts.
  • 9:15 15 minutes break, rest room.
  • 10:45 -11:30 Crossing of boarders: I intended to leave Thailand with old and enter Laos with new passport. Not possible, transfer of last entry stamp from old to new passport required. Done in immigration office at the boarder. Bus does not wait so long: Bus over bridge 15 THB, Bus (Song Taeo) to Vientiane 20 THB.
  • 12:00 At Vientiane bus station.
  • 12:20 After a slow 20 minutes walk at Budchadakham Hotel, check in 700 THB.

Wednesday 25.11.

• 8:30 After a slow 10 minutes walk at Thai consulate to apply for Visa (open 8:30-12:00).
  • 8:35 get ticket no 47. Pick application form and fill in sitting at a table in the shadow: 3 entries requested.
    • 2 Foto 3,5x4,5, clue available on tables.
    • Passport copy of main page.

9:15 Give papers:

• Can not get 3, only 2 entries.
    • Get ticket back with stamp.
    • Free until March 4th, 2010.

Thursday 26.11.

• 13:00 At Thai consulate to pick up Visa (open 13:00 t0 15:00), wait in the sun.
  • 13:22 Gate opens. Ticket no. 117.
  • 13:30 Issuing of visas starts, about 3 per minute.
  • 14:05 Get Visa. To boarder with minivan 150 THB per person.
  • 14:30 - 15:20 Crossing of boarders.
  • 15:30 Got a lift with a private car.
  • 17:30 In Khon Kaen.

[*]Can not get 3, only 2 entries.

[*]Get ticket back with stamp.

[*]Free until March 4th, 2010.

Were you not required to wait in the airconditioned room (left side of the compound when you walk through the gates) to pick up a receipt for your passport?

[*]Can not get 3, only 2 entries.

[*]Get ticket back with stamp.

[*]Free until March 4th, 2010.

Were you not required to wait in the airconditioned room (left side of the compound when you walk through the gates) to pick up a receipt for your passport?

No. I think they streamlined the procedure for the currently free tourist visa. At the free air counter on the right side signed "Application" I handed in my application After a quick check the officer gave me my ticket numbered 47 back with a red stamp as a receipt and told me to come again next day with this ticket to collect my visa. Others who had to pay for their visa had to go to the other building on the left side which is signed payment and collection to pay their fee in the airconditioned room. A man who had the next ticket number and applied for a business visa which is not free came back in a couple of minutes. My impression of the whole procedure: very well organized.

Edited by willi2006