Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just read that back, and made myself laugh.

These people who just can't sit and wait, that HAVE to stand and queue. Like on budget airlines. The plane lands and these people, most people, jump and and push and shove and jostle to the front, then stand there for ten minutes waiting for the stairs to arrive.

Then the doors open and they all race down, and you just take it easy and stroll over to arrivals and end up sitting next to them staring at the luggage carosel together.

Idiots.

All the time i wait in the tuk tuk, when is the time and they open the door i walk quite straight at the door...all the time I'm in the first 50 person...sorry for say, i understand some peole worry so much, but saty quite and move slowly pay you back

REPORT 03-03-2010

I was wondering what all the traffic is about...is it because this is still high season (is it?), I mean, regular tourists coming from Thailand? The last time I was in Vientiane was 2008 and the middle of the week...there were no more than a dozen or so people waiting...are these lines the norm now? Even during the week?

REPORT 03-03-2010

I was wondering what all the traffic is about...is it because this is still high season (is it?), I mean, regular tourists coming from Thailand? The last time I was in Vientiane was 2008 and the middle of the week...there were no more than a dozen or so people waiting...are these lines the norm now? Even during the week?

I know what you mean. The visa before this I got in Vientiane November, and I just walked up to the counter, no one there at all.

I think the present business is a combination of things, tail end of the high season, free visas ending (for now), and recession ending.

My taxi driver intro'ed him to me, hence the 3000bt fee, the taxi driver got 1000bt finders fee.

He's a young guy with a shaven head and well spoken. Probably drives a Porsche........

Good luck! :D

P.S. Do you know what a plus (+) means in front of a number?

At those prices, if he doesn't already, he soon will be driving a Porsche.

My agent will pick me up at the border and deliver me to my hotel AND deliver the passport the next day AND drive me to the border the next day for 500 baht...all in aircondioned comfort.

Your agent is making an absolute killing. Anything more than 1000 baht is a total ripoff. In Penang they do it for 200 baht.

People should remain realistic about how much money they throw around and not be presenting themselves as Santa Claus.

I called "Mr Phone" he came to my hotel and took me to the consulate and delivered my pp and visa the next day.

I paid him 500bt.

He asked when I was leaving, I said Thursday and he said he would pick me up at 10.00, which he did.

When we got to the bridge, he had his hand out for 300bt for taking me to the bridge........ so much for 500bt including pick up etc....... :D

BTW, his real name is Mr. Lam-pon.

"My agent will pick me up at the border and deliver me to my hotel AND deliver the passport the next day AND drive me to the border the next day for 500 baht...all in air-conditioned comfort."

In your dreams, matey. :D Thanks for trying to help. :)

"My agent will pick me up at the border and deliver me to my hotel AND deliver the passport the next day AND drive me to the border the next day for 500 baht...all in air-conditioned comfort."

In your dreams, matey. :D Thanks for trying to help. :)

800 baht total...that was a killer.

I never paid more than 500 baht and I wasn't dreaming on both occasions. The important thing is to negotiate the full fee before you take on the service so you can avoid any add-on charges. I thought this would have been pretty obvious to a world traveller. If you don't ask the price first they will usually try to charge more. You need to brush up on your negotiating skills. Now that you've gone and paid him an additional 300 baht we're all going to have to pay it.

I'm sorry I tried to help you.

Now that the 2 fountains of information have settled the holiday program for March,

I'd be very happy for a yes or no answer to post # 1363.

It shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you very much.

for US citizens, it is $36 for the visa (35+1fee), or more if you pay in baht. I believe it is $30 for certain other countries' passport holders.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine UK guy took his Philippine g/f to Vientiane very recently used an agent who comes to the hotel and does every thing for you and brings back your passport the next day with the required visa, in this case it was a Tourist Visa X2.

The same day the agent phoned him to say cannot get the Visa as she (Philippine lady) already had 3 back to back tourist visas in her PP and said he could get it but it was going to cost him an additional 5000bht. (yes I know what a lot of people are thinking my self included)

He paid and the next day the PP came back with the 4th Tourist visa X2 stamped in her PP with out any red Stamp

Does this mean if she keeps using an agent and paying the high price she will continue to get the Tourist Visa with out any red stamp ?

It just seems to me that one is more likely to get a fourth TV with out a red stamp as opposed to some one who applies in person, and if there is a rule in the regulations that says any one after applying for their 3rd 4th TV will get a Red warning stamp, then how is it possible to get a 4th with out a red stamp.

Clarification is I suppose what I am looking for

Regards

TB

I can't clarify this .. all I can do is make it more murky unfortunately! I just returned from Vientiane with my Philippine girlfriend. She had 8 TV (tourist visas) is her passport but not all were back to back as she was back to the Philippines 2 months ago. She got 30 days in Bangkok on arrival and 14 days twice at Mae Sai, then off to Laos for the TV which can give us 6 months of peace...except for one trip after 90 days to Mae Sai. Only thing was that her agent (who she has always used) came up with this "too many TVs in your passport" thing with no clarification on how long she has to be out of the country before she can re-do the TV in Vientiane.

We managed to get the visa with some extra cash and the next time we go we will go with a fresh passport so shouldn't have a problem seemingly. Maybe we just have to get a new passport every two years. Dunno. Where is this rule stated anyway? The alternative is the Ed visa, or maybe we will have to venture to the UK where we just might get a Non O 1 year visa from Hull. I am not so sure a Philippine lady will get one as easy as a farang though. Other alternative easy non O places are Perth I believe.

Whatever, the Vientiane trip has been the easiest way for a Philippine lady to stay in Thailand, but it looks like this maybe coming to a close. One other point is that when I asked in Mae Sai about how many times we could come for 15 days she said it was no problem which leaves even Mae Sai unclarified also.

I can't clarify this .. all I can do is make it more murky unfortunately! I just returned from Vientiane with my Philippine girlfriend. She had 8 TV (tourist visas) is her passport but not all were back to back as she was back to the Philippines 2 months ago. She got 30 days in Bangkok on arrival and 14 days twice at Mae Sai, then off to Laos for the TV which can give us 6 months of peace...except for one trip after 90 days to Mae Sai. Only thing was that her agent (who she has always used) came up with this "too many TVs in your passport" thing with no clarification on how long she has to be out of the country before she can re-do the TV in Vientiane.

We managed to get the visa with some extra cash and the next time we go we will go with a fresh passport so shouldn't have a problem seemingly. Maybe we just have to get a new passport every two years. Dunno. Where is this rule stated anyway? The alternative is the Ed visa, or maybe we will have to venture to the UK where we just might get a Non O 1 year visa from Hull. I am not so sure a Philippine lady will get one as easy as a farang though. Other alternative easy non O places are Perth I believe.

Whatever, the Vientiane trip has been the easiest way for a Philippine lady to stay in Thailand, but it looks like this maybe coming to a close. One other point is that when I asked in Mae Sai about how many times we could come for 15 days she said it was no problem which leaves even Mae Sai unclarified also.

Count yourself lucky. My Filipino girl was flat out refused a visa late last year. Our agent didn't suggest any "extra" payment to get one either. Whatever you paid was cheap compared to what we spent (not to mention the time wasted) to get around it.

These are the first 2 reports I've ever heard of people procuring tourist visas in exchange for an "extra payment". This could be quite useful for many diehard tourist visa "residents" who don't mind parting with extra cash.

There are no "rules" or "policies" regarding how many back-to-back tourist visas are allowed from Vientiane. They just count the visas in your passport and make the decision based on that number and your nationality. They don't care how long you've actually been in Thailand and the gap between visas. Calculating that would be too much like hard work. According to all reports I've read the number varies greatly and may very well be influenced by what side of the bed the issuing officer got out of on the day.

I predict that living in Thailand on tourist visas is going to be virtually impossible in the near future and would advise people to start looking for alternatives now. I've done my dash. Fotunately (??) I'm 50 now and have another easier alternative.

Hi Thanks for that and sorry to hear that they put you to so much hassle. I am 50 plus too and have the retirement visa but this isn't much use to my filipino gf who unfortunately is a tad under 50. I heard one guy who is married to his filipino gf (drastic step for me!) and his filipino gf gets a visa on the back of his retirement here. Not so sure of the story's validity though.

...It just seems to me that one is more likely to get a fourth TV with out a red stamp as opposed to some one who applies in person, and if there is a rule in the regulations that says any one after applying for their 3rd 4th TV will get a Red warning stamp, then how is it possible to get a 4th with out a red stamp.

Clarification is I suppose what I am looking for...

The only published information – not rules – I have seen on this subject is the notice put up by some Thai consulates, like this one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tourist-visa...image11505.html

No information is available whether the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued written instructions or guidelines about it to the consulates.

--

Maestro

Edited by Maestro
Fixed link - Maestro

Hi Thanks for that and sorry to hear that they put you to so much hassle. I am 50 plus too and have the retirement visa but this isn't much use to my filipino gf who unfortunately is a tad under 50. I heard one guy who is married to his filipino gf (drastic step for me!) and his filipino gf gets a visa on the back of his retirement here. Not so sure of the story's validity though.

If you are on a retirement extension of stay marriage would solve the (visa) problem as she could then obtain a non immigrant O visa and extend to match your extension thereafter.

i don't suppose you know if a non thai can marry a non thai in a thai registered marriage? A registered thai marriage without registering at the UK consulate would solve this problem without conferring all the marriage rights that a UK registered marriage would involve.

Thanks.

If you are on a retirement extension of stay marriage would solve the (visa) problem as she could then obtain a non immigrant O visa and extend to match your extension thereafter.

A marriage here is exactly the same as a marriage anywhere else. Your registration at the Embassy would just get the paperwork on record in the UK to make it easier to access later. But the Thai marriage is fully legal in the UK - it would just require a translation and registered copy made by the MFA to provide legal UK use I suspect.

Yes - two foreigners can register there marriage here - both will have to obtain Embassy letter and have translated/registered with MFA.

thanks. makes sense. only thing is that divorce is so easy here. why is this not an easy way to get divorced for all couples? ....like streams of unhappy couples coming out to Thailand for an easy divorce.... a new industry perhaps. If the marriage is recognised by the UK then what happens in an ensuing divorce?

A marriage here is exactly the same as a marriage anywhere else. Your registration at the Embassy would just get the paperwork on record in the UK to make it easier to access later. But the Thai marriage is fully legal in the UK - it would just require a translation and registered copy made by the MFA to provide legal UK use I suspect.

Yes - two foreigners can register there marriage here - both will have to obtain Embassy letter and have translated/registered with MFA.

thanks. makes sense. only thing is that divorce is so easy here. why is this not an easy way to get divorced for all couples? ....like streams of unhappy couples coming out to Thailand for an easy divorce.... a new industry perhaps. If the marriage is recognised by the UK then what happens in an ensuing divorce?

It doesn't matter where you get divorced. The same rules apply because the marriage is internationally recognised and done with Embassy approval.

You really only need to concern yourself with marriage to a Filipino. You can divorce her but she will not be able to divorce you as divorce is not recognised in the Philippines...however if you divorce her she is free to remarry.

I did a visa run last week to Vientiane.

Got to the border and got my Laos visa (USD$30 + $1) in about 10 minutes.

200 baht for a van to my hotel.

Got to the embassy at about 8:50am, gates were open, received number 195. Applied for the visa (2000baht, double entry tourist) and was back in my hotel at 10:30am.

Pick up day, arrived at the embassy at about 12:50pm, waited in the tuk tuk as there was a queue. Gates opened at 1pm, from memory I was number 86 and picked up the visa and was back at the hotel by 1:45pm