Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Hi, I am going to vientiane next week, I need a reliable and honest motorcycle guy to bring me from the border to vientiane and around, can someone recommend me, and how much is it to use his service for 1 day?

No motorcycles that I recall & if you have an injured leg you would be better off in a tuk-tuk or car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anybody know the opening closing times of immigration at the friendship bridge ?

I'll be arriving in Nong Khai from Udon Thni after 7pm so wonder if it's worth continuing on to Vientiene.

i think it shuts at 8 ish, but dont quote me on it. if ya flying in to udon, maybe stay in udon for a night, good night out, up and at it next morning 6am head for border, at nong khai ( which is no where near nong khai anyway) and stright through to consulate for visa think that opens 8/ 8.30, get ready for big q.

Triple entry tourist visas have been off the agenda at Vientiane since the "free visa" promotion started last June. Double entry tourist visa has not been a problem but, that said, there was a member report a few days ago indicating he was only issued with single entry visa. So maybe the consulate is holding back on issuing double entry tourist visas until after the "free visa" period ends on 4th March 2010. Maybe at that time the triple entry tourist visa will be available again, but unless you plan to travel it offers no advantage over double entry tourist visa because of the 90 day 'use by' date for final entry.

Looks like early next time is an awful time to go to Vientiane for a visa run.

Monday is a Thai public holiday and Tuesday is a Lao public holiday!Checked on Internet already for Lao holidays 2010. Can someone confirm that the Thai Embassy will be closed next Tuesday for Chinese New Year?

Monday is a Thai public holiday and Tuesday is a Lao public holiday!Checked on Internet already for Lao holidays 2010. Can someone confirm that the Thai Embassy will be closed next Tuesday for Chinese New Year?

According to their Website 1st March and 8th March are holidays.

According to their Website 1st March and 8th March are holidays.

I would not necessarily believe everything seen, as have been many errors on consulate holiday date pages in the past. 8th March is national holiday in Laos for International Womens day. MakaBucha Day was on 9th Feb in Thailand. Would suggest giving consulate a call to clarify.

I would not necessarily believe everything seen, as have been many errors on consulate holiday date pages in the past. 8th March is national holiday in Laos for International Womens day. MakaBucha Day was on 9th Feb in Thailand. Would suggest giving consulate a call to clarify.

According to my calender MakhaBucha substitute day is 1st March.

Vientienne will only issue a single entry.

Is this a fact now: only single entry tourist visas are available in Vientiane, and after march 4th the tourist visa fees are back?

The poster was asking about a Non Imm O Visa.

As far as we know Tourist Visas are still being issued as doubles.

After March 4th 1,000 Baht per entry.

Now that the 2 fountains of information have settled the holiday program for March,

I'd be very happy for a yes or no answer to post # 1363.

It shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you very much.

Went last week, visa to Laos was 1540 thai baht, not sure about $ Got 2 free tourist visas but Red Stamp because it was my 4th double entry

Now that the 2 fountains of information have settled the holiday program for March,

I'd be very happy for a yes or no answer to post # 1363.

It shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you very much.

I'm not having a very good day today GD on many fronts! I remember the visa fee as around 1,500 baht, varying on nationality. This post, albeit a bit dated, refers to 1,500 baht visa fee or US $30 upwards depending upon nationality, so looks like is still current.

Vientienne will only issue a single entry.

Is this a fact now: only single entry tourist visas are available in Vientiane, and after march 4th the tourist visa fees are back?

The poster was asking about a Non Imm O Visa.

As far as we know Tourist Visas are still being issued as doubles.

After March 4th 1,000 Baht per entry.

Yes, I got back last night from an organized visa trip and got a double entry tourist visa.

It's only my second one from Vientiane, so I didn't expect any problems.

However good to know that they still hand out free double entry tourist visas this close to starting to charge for them again.

Went last week. Border at around 9 a.m. wasn't as busy as it has been before. Got my Laos visa in under five minutes. For some reason mine came out almost immediately after I handed it in and ahead of people who'd been ahead of me.

Took a car with 2 other people to the Embassy and then on to our hotels for 350 Baht. (I stayed at the Aroon hotel, which is very nice and the staff are lovely, but be warned that it is a long way from anything and I even had to walk over a kilometer until I found a tuk tuk. Tuk Tuk to the river was 100 Baht each way, so don't stay here if you plan to do anything other than stay in the room unless you're happy to walk quite a long way to find a taxi.)

Quite busy at the embassy with the numbers going nearly to 300, but again not as busy as I've seen in the past where I've seen numbers over 400 at the same time. I was busy chatting with people so I didn't really notice the time it took.

Next day was a bit chaotic as the number system wasn't working. Got the double entry tourist visa. No problems. I was a little worried as my passport has a triple entry tourist visa, 3 double entry tourist visas and 2 non-im B visas in it, but no problem, and no red stamp.

Standing around chatting outside I didn't hear anyone complain or seem less than happy.

Back at the bridge it was quieter than usual and the buses were leaving before they were full and although only 2 immigration lines were open there were only about 10 people in each line.

Loads of great info..thnx everyone. I have a 4:50p AirAsia flt to Phuket from Undon on the same day I p/u my visa. Where exactly do I find the mini van at the border back to the airport? Everyone describes in detail where it is at the airport but what about the times and location for coming back? Would you go direct from the consulate to the border or go to the bus station in town to get a bus to Udon or what, Im not sure but know I wont have time to mess around. Also off topic, has anyone parked a motorcycle at Phuket airport overnight? I called, the airport and a lady told me it was free but Im not confident in her answer that she meant long term parking. FYI- yes there is a new direct flight from Phuket to Udon..nice!

REPORT 03-03-2010

Just got back from the Vientiane embassy, well, a few hours ago actually, and am writing this in Joma. I received a double entry with NO red stamp.

My Passport: British, only issued April 2008 already full. This is the fifth thai tourist, back to back except for two months in nam and a month last year in Laos. This current visa is back to back from the last one.

The story: I arrived at the embassy around 10.15am yesterday and the electronic counting/queue machine is broke so someone told me to just wait, but it turns out you have to approach counter number one for a queue number. I was given a piece of paper like they put sticky address labels on, and it had my number on. My number was 776, which was quite depressing as they were calling 250 at that time.

I sat there until midday and thought I might not get it. They started calling out numbers in batches of fifty, eg. everyone up to 350. The guy next to me had been there since nine and had like number 380. Eventually, about ten past one, they just called for 'everyone else'. So I went up. There were people with number 400 behind me who'd been queuing since before it opened.

I got to the front. He looked through my passport twice and seemed to be counting to himself. Then he wrote 776 on the bottom of the application (my queue number) and X2 at the top, stamped my queue number as a receipt and that was that.

Today I went back, got there 12.50. There was a huge line and all the shops and cafe and tea stalls were full of farangs. It opened and everyone waiting outside ran in and queued again at the entrance to the air con building, but I just went and sat on the blue seats.

I got to the counter just after three pm, and picked it up no problem.

TOP TIPS

Don't turn up early. Don't turn up very late. But if you stand queueing for ages there's not real advantage. 10am. on the first day is realistic.

On pick up day, DO NOT turn up at one pm. and queue. Turn up at two and go straight in and sit on the blue chairs outside. Wait until the queue has snaked inside the building. Then go and sit on the chairs under the AC. Then, when there are just ten suckers left... sorry, I mean 'quality tourists' waiting, limp on over like you've just been queueing for three hours straight, and pick up the visa.

One last note, there are definite notices inside the embassy, eg. on both notice boards, that it will be closed on the 8th March for women's day.

I've just read that back, and made myself laugh.

These people who just can't sit and wait, that HAVE to stand and queue. Like on budget airlines. The plane lands and these people, most people, jump and and push and shove and jostle to the front, then stand there for ten minutes waiting for the stairs to arrive.

Then the doors open and they all race down, and you just take it easy and stroll over to arrivals and end up sitting next to them staring at the luggage carosel together.

Idiots.