Why Did My Network Adapter Go Into Hidden Devices?

cmsally

I have no LAN connection on my computer and cannot connect to the internet. In my network connection folder the LAN connection has disappeared. Under device manager no network adapter shows up but if I look under hidden devices it shows up. The strange thing is it happened once and I restarted (after disconnecting and reconnecting everything) and it was found and worked OK, then a day later the same thing but after a couple of restarts disconnecting and reconnecting everything it still does not show up or work. I haven't installed anything new or done anything on my computer but the problem seems to have started after an automatic windows update. Any ideas pleeeease! I think the sequence was - windows auto update - used OK then switched off computer. Switched on computer and no LAN etc Ordinary restart still no LAN Restart with disconnecting cables and power line and then it worked fine for a whole day. Switched off computer. Restart and no LAN. Restart with disconnecting everything twice and still no LAN.

Any ideas anyone?

No but an identical thing happened to me with my onboard LAN a while back.. After fighting it for a week or so and never knowing if the LAN card would be there I just bought a 400 baht PCI lan card..

Cant remember what motherboard that was.. Has since been junked..

I have no LAN connection on my computer and cannot connect to the internet. In my network connection folder the LAN connection has disappeared. Under device manager no network adapter shows up but if I look under hidden devices it shows up. The strange thing is it happened once and I restarted (after disconnecting and reconnecting everything) and it was found and worked OK, then a day later the same thing but after a couple of restarts disconnecting and reconnecting everything it still does not show up or work. I haven't installed anything new or done anything on my computer but the problem seems to have started after an automatic windows update. Any ideas pleeeease! I think the sequence was - windows auto update - used OK then switched off computer. Switched on computer and no LAN etc Ordinary restart still no LAN Restart with disconnecting cables and power line and then it worked fine for a whole day. Switched off computer. Restart and no LAN. Restart with disconnecting everything twice and still no LAN.

Any ideas anyone?

Have you tried a 'System Restore' back to a date prior to the problem?

Well if anyone else gets this problem maybe I can help.

Regarding the above problem I went into device manager and clicked on hidden devices so they showed on the list.

Then right clicked on network adapter where it said scan for hardware changes.

Connected to dial up which still worked at the magnificent speed of 31.2k !!

Clicked on scan for hardware changes where it automatically started another system update which of course took a very long coffee break to download.

Then I installed it, choosing not to take IE7 and a "report back to the mother ship program" to let Microsoft know I am using pirate software. So I wasn't actually sure what did get installed.

But I restarted and hey presto!!!

3 Asus, 1 Asrock and 1 Gigabyte MB the same problem. Send the Asus MB's for waranty claim, they repaired and it worked for a few day's, same happens again!

Now all MB's working with Ethernet PCI card very well since then. Cost of an NIC is THB 250.00 up! If you count time and anger and and and, it pays off to buy an NIC!