Mike´s In Phuket

Somtamnication

Yep, I noticed closed on Sunday and I meant to report on this forum if continued closed.

I think they had staffing problems. My wife spoke to the 2 ladies last time we ate there, and neither planned to stay much longer. I never noticed any diners when I passed during the afternoons, even weekends.

Quite hoestly I was not impressed by the buns or chili con carne. Only went for the rings. No great loss to me.

been there only 3/4 times, gotta give them there due , the burgers and fries were good.

if i remember around 150thb,

maybe trying to sell it off to the next unsuspecting "ex-pat" for a tidy profit ??????

would be interested for how much hes asking, as a going concern considering its been there nearer weeks than months yet alone years....

sure they;ll be some mug

................................................................................

been there only 3/4 times, gotta give them there due , the burgers and fries were good.

if i remember around 150thb,

maybe trying to sell it off to the next unsuspecting "ex-pat" for a tidy profit ??????

would be interested for how much hes asking, as a going concern considering its been there nearer weeks than months yet alone years....

sure they;ll be some mug

................................................................................

Wow...this one closed even quicker than the one here in Bangkok, but not surprised as the burgers and service were crap.

Always amazes me when I see businesses start up and fold within a month or two.. Dont the owners include a sinking fund for the new period while they make thier name ?? Or is starting a biz here simply the cost of the lease and slapping a sign up ??

Just late the dam thing is open then closed i live close by so see it every day and i must say its closed more than its open now.

the last time i was in there he was gobing off at his staff in fact its all the time he is in there that must be why he has staff problems

I talked to Mike about it yesterday. He's selling the whole kit 'n kaboodle - including the six-year lease he has on the shop, equipment, recipes, the works. Going to move back to Chiang Mai. Shoot me mail if you might be interested, and I'll put you in touch with him.

Personally, I think his hamburgers are great. Outstanding. Best I've ever had in Thailand. Onion rings, too. Shakes are dam_n good. Mike is a fascinating guy, if you get to talk to him. He's hard on his staff, though, as has been noted many times on Thaivisa.

Not surprising that bars like that are going under...there used to be a time when they provided the forum for all the Phuket Town gossip and wingeing. Now we can do it here in cyberspace!

I still don't why someone doesn't put up a decent dart board somewhere in Phuket Town so that we con';t have to risk life and limb going over the hill to get a game in. They used to have two decent boards at BarTango, but looks like that place has been closed for a long time...does anyone know what happened there?

Not surprising that bars like that are going under...there used to be a time when they provided the forum for all the Phuket Town gossip and wingeing. Now we can do it here in cyberspace!

I still don't why someone doesn't put up a decent dart board somewhere in Phuket Town so that we con';t have to risk life and limb going over the hill to get a game in. They used to have two decent boards at BarTango, but looks like that place has been closed for a long time...does anyone know what happened there?

Bar Tango now called "The Boat Yard" is open and the dart boards are still there. Very cold beer.

Saturday at 6 I went there for my usual burger and onion rings. Closed. For sale sign up.

Anyone know why? They were doing a brisk business...

I once read a statistic where for every actual Phuket resident, there is a restaurant for every one of them (noodle carts, barbecues, Thai stands included).

The worst business you can open in Phuket is a restaurant, just too dam_n many options for food here.

Saturday at 6 I went there for my usual burger and onion rings. Closed. For sale sign up.

Anyone know why? They were doing a brisk business...

I once read a statistic where for every actual Phuket resident, there is a restaurant for every one of them (noodle carts, barbecues, Thai stands included).

The worst business you can open in Phuket is a restaurant, just too dam_n many options for food here.

You got that right. next to impossible to build a "regular' clientele The ones that last the longest seem to be associated with either a small hotel or guest house or other services. I used eat along beach road because I liked the BBQ prawns, but I found a place around the corner from Bangla towards the paradise hotel that can make the same prawns for 1/2 the cost (minus the starched tablecloth) Gosh come to think of it, I've been meaning to eat at Karlson's for over a year now and have never gotten around to it :o

Mike sounds like he's become disillusioned with doing business in Phuket. I get the feeling that he really prefers Chiang Mai - he gave Phuket a go, for old time's sake, but it didn't work out.

As to whether he makes any money... hard to say, but you might want to watch and see how many customers he's drawing, and try to figure out how much each one spends. You can probably come to a fairly accurate conclusion on his income. As for expenses, he serves top-notch beef, and much of the rest of it's expensive, too. His personnel costs have to be pretty high because he turns over employees quite a bit. Believe me, it's tough turning a profit in the restaurant biz.

The listing in BahtSOLD.com matches everything I've heard - Mike wants around B 1.1 million, which covers the amount he put into the effort.

Whatever happended to the Loud Mouthed Cajun Fella with the Cajun food place? I grew up in West Houston and they had a cajun place called Atchafalaya River Cafe on Westheimer. Man o Man that was good food. I heard it opened in rawai, but then someone told me it was in Chalong.

Anyone know where it is?

A girl told me it is open, but she said ThaiVisa Members are not welcome and will be asked to leave.

I prefer the Green Man and the Lighthouse.

Mikes is so so.

That's an interesting observation. Any reason to validate that ?? I was just talking to my wife about buying Mike's place as a fun investment. Not a serious money making proposition. Any idea what he is expecting....

...need shareholders?

The Wife shot that idea down very fast. And I'm sure she is right ... :o

• 2 weeks later...
That particular location has always had bad luck. Must be built on a cemetery or something. But 1.1 mill for it, is waaaayyyy overpriced. Sad that he became disgruntled with Phuket. He never really gave it a chance.

Great onion rings!

mike got a job in china. :o