Tips On Where To Live

bedbugy

having lived in thailand for over 18 years i would like to pass on some usefull tips on picking a house

try to avoid single room appartments they become like prison cells after a while you just have to get out the wall s drive you in sane

do not think about living near a school the p a system ding dong all day and band practice after school

that also goes for temples with thier fair's and shows late into the night

when you find an house look for the speakers they go off at 5.30 in the morning telling you the price of vegatables in the market

check down the soi if theres a motor bike repair shop forget it and karaoke

go to the house several times a day check for noise

the neigbours may like the tv full blast all day

only say you will stay if the water presure is good

open a p o box at the post office you'll probable move again

The dogs at night drive me nuts, they sleep all day and bark all night.

thats because ghosts dont come out during the day, only at night and those smart considerate dogs are chasing them away, so you can sleep safe in the knowledge there are no ghosts around, not known as mans best frien for nothing.rolleyes.gif

Village and mosque load(!)speakers you cannot do much about except locate your house a distance away, or perhaps snip the wires. Which is not a permanent solution, and quite high on the risk scale...

The barking soi dogs however might be easier to deal with. I have read on the TV forum somewhere a few months ago (you have to search to find it, or Google it), that there is an electronic device that will detect barking sounds, and, after a user selected delay, emit some kind of ultrasonic sound at a frequency that dogs do not like.

This is a bit like Pavlov's dogs I guess, conditioning the dogs in a non harmful way. And the delay before the device activates, as one poster put it, will allow your favourite soi dog the occational "recreational bark", but will not tolerate extended periods of noise.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

Regarding dogs and the ultrasonic units, blessedly, the dogs are pretty quiet in my neighborhood EXCEPT....

...when the daily vegetable sales pickup truck guy makes his rounds, blasting his announcement on the truck's loudspeaker system. Even when the truck's blocks away, the local dogs all begin howling/whining and it doesn't cease until the guy (and his loupspeakers) have left the scene.

some great posts here and all are worth taking notice of ,,,,, for me the dogs are no longer a problem (l have 2 that bark at their own shadow) l get a laugh out of hearing 1 dog howling a couple of miles away and listening to all the other dogs joining in as it rolls across the village (never gets close enuff to really annoy me),,, but the PA systems are a pain as are the frogs but not living in a wooden house seems to have solved most of the noise problems (except the bloody PA)

cheers

"On a lighter note. Make sure there are no Mynah birds nearby and cockrels. They can drive you nuts also LOL."

OK, not on topic, but since it is almost Christmas, I am sure the Super Stringent Mods (SSMs) are a bit more relaxed.

About having your nuts driven...

A guy comes into the pub with a steering wheel sticking out from his fly. The bartender says "Whats about the steering wheel mate?"

Punter: "Yeah I know, it's driving me nuts!"

"On a lighter note. Make sure there are no Mynah birds nearby and cockrels. They can drive you nuts also LOL."

OK, not on topic, but since it is almost Christmas, I am sure the Super Stringent Mods (SSMs) are a bit more relaxed.

About having your nuts driven...

A guy comes into the pub with a steering wheel sticking out from his fly. The bartender says "Whats about the steering wheel mate?"

Punter: "Yeah I know, it's driving me nuts!"

That's an important one. Unfortunately, even if it's quiet when you move in, you can always get new noisy neighbours moving in next door. :D

Not when you build on 6 rai. :D

:bah: Yes! I was going to mention that :o

Also, if your bedroom is in the centre of the house, it helps. My house is effectively 6 rooms - two rows of 3 and the bedroom we sleep in is the middle room at the back, with no patio doors to the outside. This means the bedroom is surrounded by other rooms, except for one wall - the back wall. Not much noise gets in, even the wailing Muzzies can't be heard.

Of course, a 9 (3X3) room house with the bedroom in the middle would be even better :D

It also helps to have a 2 metre concrete wall around the plot to bounce back all the pick-up/moto-cy noise from the soi. I have only a 1.5 metre wall. :D

having lived in thailand for over 18 years i would like to pass on some usefull tips on picking a house

try to avoid single room appartments they become like prison cells after a while you just have to get out the wall s drive you in sane

do not think about living near a school the p a system ding dong all day and band practice after school

that also goes for temples with thier fair's and shows late into the night

when you find an house look for the speakers they go off at 5.30 in the morning telling you the price of vegatables in the market

check down the soi if theres a motor bike repair shop forget it and karaoke

the neigbours may like the tv full blast all day

only say you will stay if the water presure is good

open a p o box at the post office you'll probable move again

I like the last suggestion.....that's my go! :o

We have two rai on the edge of a village. There is a large vacant field across from our house. Village kids were a problem. They are noisy and they irritated me by killing lizards around the house and selling them to a crazy old man who eats them. A two meter high block wall has improved things considerably. The lizards for the most part have replenished themselves. The bucket truck comes around regularly so dogs are not a major problem. For those not familiar with the bucket truck, they trade plastic buckets for stray dogs that the villagers give them. The dogs get a one way ride to Laos. I feel bad for the dogs but have decided that most of them are better off being put out of their misery.

ADDED - As a side note, the village PA system blew up a couple of months ago and at six AM, things are now peaceful. I hope they never get it repaired.

Edited by Gary A

I was about to end the barking of our neighbours dog but luckily our neighbours maid silences them during the night as soon as they start to freak out now. I can highly recommend to move to some middle class ghettos with a wall that protects you from the world. I live in such a place with about 200 houses, a nice sports club, swimming pool and little lake and its just great. The neighbourhood is pretty quiet, kids can play on the street and everything is well maintained. The streets are clean, the plants kept in shape. Just beautiful.

I have been living in a two and then three room apartment downtown (soi asoke and then sathorn) and living here right across the river in nonthaburi is just like living in another country. So quiet so beautiful and if I want to go anywhere downtown its a 200 baht / 30 min taxi ride if we don't take the car. The next mall is just 10 minutes away and its obvious that a seveneleven is just around the corner :o

ADDED - As a side note, the village PA system blew up a couple of months ago and at six AM, things are now peaceful. I hope they never get it repaired.

A sewing pin through the cable (make sure it pierces both cores), cut off short and smeered with sh1t dirt is highly effective and an absolute devil to find :o

Love dogs and cats but those are not trained drive me nuts too. Just wanna grap some' and stuck up in their a**!! Better yet, a new menu for New Year.

Maybe you want to move to Palm Hills, here they have their own way of dealing with the soi dog population, they use strychnine poison

when the dogs get out of control. They have managed to kill several of the residents dogs also, about 5 to be exact, with no explanation given to why. I have to really watch when I take my dog out for walks in the early morning, that she doesn't pick anything up off the ground, from what I hear they throw it every where, on the course, in vacant lots, every where, you just never know, this has happened several times since we have moved here.

Here is proof-

post-41086-1198448773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pundi64