Respray A New Car ?

North

hi all,

I am thinking of buying the "new Ford focus" diesel (though I have not seen it yet), BUT Ford will only deliver it in black colour, which I don´t like too much ! :o

But because I really would like to have it with the diesel engine, I am thinking of the possibility to respray the car in a nice bright colour.

Have any of you ever done that ? (or just had a respray of an older car ?)

Do you know a good company for doing this job ?

Can it be done here in Thailand with a finish and durability as " a new car" ?

How much will it cost ?

Any advice appreciated. :D

North

hi all,

I am thinking of buying the "new Ford focus" diesel (though I have not seen it yet), BUT Ford will only deliver it in black colour, which I don´t like too much ! :o

But because I really would like to have it with the diesel engine, I am thinking of the possibility to respray the car in a nice bright colour.

Have any of you ever done that ? (or just had a respray of an older car ?)

Do you know a good company for doing this job ?

Can it be done here in Thailand with a finish and durability as " a new car" ?

How much will it cost ?

Any advice appreciated. :D

North

if you dont do a 100 per cent job the value of the car will plummet ! :D

if you dont do a 100 per cent job the value of the car will plummet ! :o

I agree on that, and that is exactly why I seek advice here, I hope for many good answers!

And I really think Ford Thailand are silly when they choose only the black colour, in the Philippines ( where they build the car) you can have it in these colours:

Quote from a test found here: Review: Ford Focus TDCi 2.0

"" Let’s redo the introductions. This is the new Ford Focus TDCi Sport. It comes in either “look-at-me-I’m-fast” Rally Blue or the more toned down Pacific Blue. I’d pick the lighter color if I were you - they’ll never see you ""

North

Edited by North

Try a different ford dealer, the one you have been to will only want to sell you what they have in stock.

The dealer I went to does not even have the car yet, since it is just being introduced in Thailand these days.

It is Ford Thailand, that has decided to only deliver in black, not the local dealer. :o

North

I would advise against getting a new car repainted, because I doubt that you would be happy with it. Even with a shop doing good work, using the latest materials, a repaint job will never stand up as well as the factory paint job.

Another thing is that so many parts, including bumpers, moldings, rubber seals, handles, glass, etc have to be taken off the car to get a proper job that it is very difficult to reassemble it to like new standards. Invariably some parts will be lose, clips broken, and so on, even with good workers.

Part of the joy of getting a new vehicle is having it trouble free, and it would not happen with a new paint job, at least that is my observation after working in the trade for many years. :o

A color change adds immensely to the problems of getting a car painted, and still making it look original. Under the hood, trunk, door jambs, so much labor and expense, just not worth it.

If you have a special car, and go into it for warned, about the expense and problems, you can have an excellent job done, but a new car would be a losing deal.

Unfortunately there are only a VERY few available for evaluation. My Ford dealer told me I'd be lucky to even see one much less buy one. When/if they become available, there will likely be a choice of colors.

KhunDennis & dr_Pat_Pong:

Yes, I guess you are right about this, but since I really like to have a car like that with a diesel, I had to put the question forward.

There are no other cars in that price range with a diesel. The only other new (small) car with a diesel is the Mercedes Benz A180, but priced at approx. 1,7 million baht I think it is too expensive (at least for me)

I can have a Civic 2,0 at approx. the same price as the Focus diesel, but it does not appeal to me in the same way as the Focus.

The Focus diesel should be in the showroom by tomorrow, so I will have a look and make a decision.

The main reason I don´t like the black colour is, it will get too hot here in Thailand.

North

Unfortunately there are only a VERY few available for evaluation. My Ford dealer told me I'd be lucky to even see one much less buy one. When/if they become available, there will likely be a choice of colors.

Gary, I can only quote, what the dealer here in Khon Kaen said a few days ago:

" He said they will have the diesel version in the showroom on the 22nd. December. He also said they can have more delivered by the end of this month (2007) He pointed out, that Ford Thailand had made the decision to only sell the car in black. "

That is all I know.

North

Edited by North

Why are you so keen on having the diesel? I have the 1.8 petrol version as does someone else writing in this thread. It's a fine car AND comes in a choice of colours.

I have had a lot af diesel cars before and simply like these engines better. If you read the review I have linked to in an earlier post perhaps you will understand why !

Edit: It think it is right to say, that the modern diesel engine in most fields are superior to the petrol engine. It is more fuel efficient, lower emissions, high torque and so on.

North

Edited by North

North,

that blue looks nice, why don't you call head office ford BKK and talk to the manager, these cars are brought in from the Philippines so should be able to order colour to suit even if you had to pay a 20K premium, local dealer will be of no help.

buy the eqivalant mazda, will be better anyway,

I don´t think so, the Focus is a lot better than the Mazda, in my opinion.

Anyway, I just had a look at Focus diesel, and the dealer said: " you can have it today" he he , tempting, but I don´t know yet.

I took a few photos:

post-19154-1198221847_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221926_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221946_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221958_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221977_thumb.jpg

Edit: They let me drive it around their yard for a few minutes, and even I could only go in 2nd. gear I could feel the drive is very good. The clutch action is good, so is the action af the gear stick. Diesel noise ? Not really, but maybe at high rpm´s, I did not have the opportunity to try that.

North

Edited by North

buy the eqivalant mazda, will be better anyway,

I don´t think so, the Focus is a lot better than the Mazda, in my opinion.

Anyway, I just had a look at Focus diesel, and the dealer said: " you can have it today" he he , tempting, but I don´t know yet.

I took a few photos:

post-19154-1198221847_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221926_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221946_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221958_thumb.jpg

post-19154-1198221977_thumb.jpg

Edit: They let me drive it around their yard for a few minutes, and even I could only go in 2nd. gear I could feel the drive is very good. The clutch action is good, so is the action af the gear stick. Diesel noise ? Not really, but maybe at high rpm´s, I did not have the opportunity to try that.

North

I have the 2007 Focus Ghia. I like the Ghia body style a lot better but I sure would like to have that diesel engine rather than the 1,8 liter benzene that's in mine.

As I posted in another post of the 100 Black only diesel focus…

This Focus is the last of the old models, why would you want an old model so bad ? the new model will be in Thailand very soon, to see the difference go to Ford.de [Germany] or Ford.uk

post-42643-1198229984_thumb.jpg

Looks great - apart from the cheap sticker they've slapped on the side - shame.

Yes, you are right, I have been thinking about, what that sticker will look like after 1-2 years, but maybe one can buy a new pair and put on ?

North

As I posted in another post of the 100 Black only diesel focus…

This Focus is the last of the old models, why would you want an old model so bad ? the new model will be in Thailand very soon, to see the difference go to Ford.de [Germany] or Ford.uk

post-42643-1198229984_thumb.jpg

where do you get that information from ?

In the last few days I have read every review of the Ford Focus, - new and older, that I was able to find on the Internet, and the reviews of the "new" Focus says quite clearly, that the "new" mainly means that Ford changed the outside looks, driving experience basically remains the same, ( it´s very good).

Yes, the Focus does have a new look in the UK, so what, when we get that look here, they will have another "new look" in the UK.

Personally I am quite happy with the look of the Focus as it is now.

But I read on Internet that people from the U.S. does complaint about the Focus, they don´t have the new Foxus they have the very old and first Focus, and they are begging Ford to bring in the "new Focus", as we have here.

The main reason I don´t like the black colour is, it will get too hot here in Thailand.

North

What ? don't they come with aircon ? Truly though, apart from pink, yellow, gold and some other shitty colours, who gives a dam_n about what colour it is. It is a metal box to get you from A to B.

I have had vehicles that were far more than just metal boxes but this is a ford focus we are talking about, not a lambo or ferrari !