Lost Of Rights If Not Voting True Or Not?

thaiwholesale

Lost of rights if not voting true or not?

I hear many stories of rights or problems if not voting.

What is the true?

• They will never get a job with Local Government include the children in the future?
  • Getting a Or Bor Jor/Or Bor Tor job in the future include the children in the future?
  • problem getting passport and going overseas.

Is this the only thing or are there other problems by not voting?

Good question. I have been wondering the same thing.

My understanding is that failure to vote will disenfranchise the person for a number of years, but I'm not sure how many.

I would also be interested to know if this rule - if there is one - applies to all elections (local etc), or just the general election.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten us. :o

Surely if they were fair dinkum about Thai's voting, they'd arrange "postal/absentee votes" for the thousands and thousands that work outside their home province, allowing them to vote from their current city of abode.

It can't be true that non-voters get a black mark against their name, can it? Surely they'd run out of black ink if that were the case. :o

Eligible Voters

For the first time in Thailand voting is almost compulsory since the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand B.E. 2540 was enforced. The provision of the Constitution stipulates the following:-

“Every person shall have a duty to exercise his or her right to vote in an election. The person who fails to vote on an election day without notifying the reasonable cause for such failure shall lose his or her right to vote as prescribed by the law.

The notification of the cause for failure to vote on an election day and the provision of facilities for attendance thereat shall be in accordance with the provision of the law”.

The person who fails to vote without notifying the reasonable cause for such failure will have his or her political rights curtailed until his or her next vote casting in an election as follows:

The National Elections

1. The right to object the results of both the national and local elections

2. The right to be a candidate for any election

3. The right to initiate a bill for the National Assembly’s consideration

4. The right to initiate an ordinance for the local assembly’s consideration

5. The right to petition to the Senate for the resolution of removal of a

high ranking person

6. The right to recall a member of the local assembly or a local administrator

The Local Elections

1. The right to object a result of any local election

2. The right to be a candidate for any local election

3. The right to initiate an ordinance for the local assembly’s consideration

4. The right to recall a member of the local assembly or a local administrator

Qualification of a person who has a voting right at an election

1. Thai nationality; a person who has acquired Thai Nationality by

naturalisation must hold Thai Nationality for not less than five years

2. Not less than 18 of age on 1st January of the year of election

3. Having name appeared on the house register in the constituency for not less than 90 days up to the date of the election for the national elections

and not less than 1 year for the local elections

4. Prohibition:-

* being of unsound mind or of mental infirmity,

* being Buddhist priest, novice, monk or clergy,

* being detained by a warrant of the Court or by a lawful order

* being under suspension of the right to vote

OFFICE OF THE ELECTION COMMISSION OF THAILAND

44 Srijulsup Tower, Rama 1 Road, Rongmuang, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel (662) 613 7333 Fax (662) 219 2806

Eligible Voters

For the first time in Thailand voting is almost compulsory since the Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand B.E. 2540 was enforced. The provision of the Constitution stipulates the following:-

"Every person shall have a duty to exercise his or her right to vote in an election. The person who fails to vote on an election day without notifying the reasonable cause for such failure shall lose his or her right to vote as prescribed by the law.

The notification of the cause for failure to vote on an election day and the provision of facilities for attendance thereat shall be in accordance with the provision of the law".

The person who fails to vote without notifying the reasonable cause for such failure will have his or her political rights curtailed until his or her next vote casting in an election as follows:

The National Elections

1. The right to object the results of both the national and local elections

2. The right to be a candidate for any election

3. The right to initiate a bill for the National Assembly's consideration

4. The right to initiate an ordinance for the local assembly's consideration

5. The right to petition to the Senate for the resolution of removal of a

high ranking person

6. The right to recall a member of the local assembly or a local administrator

The Local Elections

1. The right to object a result of any local election

2. The right to be a candidate for any local election

3. The right to initiate an ordinance for the local assembly's consideration

4. The right to recall a member of the local assembly or a local administrator

Qualification of a person who has a voting right at an election

1. Thai nationality; a person who has acquired Thai Nationality by

naturalisation must hold Thai Nationality for not less than five years

2. Not less than 18 of age on 1st January of the year of election

3. Having name appeared on the house register in the constituency for not less than 90 days up to the date of the election for the national elections

and not less than 1 year for the local elections

Is this the only things happening when not voting, than the following is untrue right?:

They will never get a job with Local Government include the children in the future?

Getting a Or Bor Jor/Or Bor Tor job in the future include the children in the future?

problem getting passport and going overseas.

Anybody that can confirm that 'lopburi3' here list all the problem you get when not voting?

if you are Thai, vote, no discusion

This is one of the most ridiculous responses on a topic that I have read in a long time.

There may be all manner of reasons, through no fault of their own, why a Thai is unable to exercise his/her vote.

And even if there isn't, it's irrelevant. We are discussing the penalties for failure to vote - we are not discussing the morality or duty of Thais to vote.

We wish to be informed and to learn. So why: "no Discussion"? :D

So Lobuburi3, my understanding on reading the rules, is that failure to vote only results in the person losing certain rights to object to the results of the election, and loss of rights to petition the government etc. In addition, he/she would also be not allowed to stand as a candidate in a subsequent elections. But he/she can have restitution of all these rights buy voting the next time around.

Does that sound about right?

If so, it doesn't sound too draconian to me - in fact it sounds quite reasonable. If you don't vote, you have no rights to object etc, and you can't be an electoral candidate until you have voted again.

Maybe I have got it wrong? :o

Edited by Mobi

a large majority of issaan would have lost their votes if that is the case; i dont see any of the workers trying to get to tel aviv to vote; its too complicated for them and they are fairly lazy about that...

Eligible Voters

What I didn't see were the absentee ballots, as my wife hasn't voted for years.

If that had similiar prohibitions in the US, it'd be hard for Democrats to get elected, if you consider the top prohibition.

You don't vote you lose your right to choose who you want to be gov.

I don't see what others effect or consequences there. I have missed my votes so many times (with reasonable why) and you know we have election as often as changing socks I don't have any troubles going oversea, getting jobs or whatsoever.

TiT.

But tomorrow I'm good to go vote :o

Edited by legag

No, there are SOME consequences, but none that would be a problem for most people. I believe if you don't vote then you lose the right to RUN YOURSELF in elections in the future, or for a specific amount of time. It's not like you lose the right to work for the government.

Still, that there are consequences AT ALL means that records are kept. And we all know that 'consequences' in this country can change on a whim, so I'd advise everyone to go vote.

Of course the current situation means it's not much of a choice, and with elections most likely not being free and fair.. So for those people willing to make a statement to not vote, I would recommend them to go vote but invalidate the ballot. This way anonymity is preserved.

Yes that is right - if you didn't vote - don't complain.

Well, few Thaivisa members vote, yet complaining remains very popular. :o So I think that old nugget is out the window. :D

ok, not the best, but surely not the best response in TV history, bur from what I know, no vote, no chance of running for a position. Being American, I kinda think that requiring on to vote is wrong, but on th other hand, in a new, developing democracy, it makes people think, which in my country many people do not

Surely if they were fair dinkum about Thai's voting, they'd arrange "postal/absentee votes" for the thousands and thousands that work outside their home province, allowing them to vote from their current city of abode.

It can't be true that non-voters get a black mark against their name, can it? Surely they'd run out of black ink if that were the case. :o

Well, that is what happened last weekend: the people living outside their home province could vote.