My One-way Ticket Adventure

Howdy.........I just flew from Macau to Thailand on a one-way ticket. I bought a ticket in Macau at the airport. At that point they took my money and did not tell me that Thailand might not let me in unless I had another ticket showing that I would be leaving Thailand within 30 days.

After many hours, I went to check in at the Air Macau/Thai Airways (yes that is what it was) counter. The girl took my ticket and passport, then said, "do you have an onward ticket?" I said "no." She said there "might be a problem entering Thailand." I said "I had no idea about it." She then had me sign a release of indemnity paper (basically releasing Air Macau from any legal issues).

This happened only a short time before departure. I decided at that point to just go on a one-way ticket (no tourist visa). I just knew Thai immigration was going to give me a big problem. After arriving I went to Thai Immigration. I handed a female immigration officer my passport. She thumbed through the pages and asked me one question: "How long do you plan on staying in Thailand?" I told her "I am not sure but will leave within 30 days."

That was it.............not a big issue but certainly may become one in the future. It looks like they are going to start making it more and more difficult for passengers to fly into Thailand without a visa beforehand.

If so, that will really make traveling inconvenient for many people that like to travel without a set agenda. It will also, of course, hurt Thais that are trying to make a living selling airline tickets to foreigners.....who will have to purchase them in advance prior to entering Thailand.

Hope this is useful for those planning to travel on a one-way ticket.

With a 30-day entry on Arrival stamp, you are supposed to have an onward or return ticket.

With any visa a one-way ticket is fine when entering Thailand. This rule has been in force for a very long time and the above poster was lucky he managed to deal with a compassionate and kind immigration officer.

I bought a ticket in Macau at the airport. ... After many hours, I went to check in at the Air Macau/Thai Airways (yes that is what it was) counter.

... She thumbed through the pages and asked me one question: "How long do you plan on staying in Thailand?" I told her "I am not sure but will leave within 30 days."

yes, the air ticket desk in the airport should clarify things a little when buying a ticket rather than giving you a headache on checking in.

emmigration officer question was hardly offensive - and if you look decent, don't have a history of overstay and behave appriopriately they will let you in

Thanks for posting your experience. Many still don't believe that the rule is now enforced. You were quite lucky that you got a friendly Immigration Officer.

I have been asked more than once to show proof of an onward ticket at the airport (leaving to go to LOS).

If Immigration inside Thailand is checking, people might want to get a cheap onward ticket. You can probably get a refundable ticket also.

Well 15 years ago I had a Europe - Singapore return ticket an visted a singaporean travel agency requesting a one way to Hat Yai.

It was my plan to travel with a boat from Satun to Langkawi and fly from there to Sillipor again.

At the travel agency I was informed Thai Airways refused to sell me a one way ticket. I argued I did have a Sillipore - Europe ticket at no avail :o

Finally I opted for a ticket to Penang, took a taxi to the Thai boarder and entered by foot at Sadao without problems.

Just silly I had to do it this way, some organistions have no brains obviousely.

Well 15 years ago I had a Europe - Singapore return ticket an visted a singaporean travel agency requesting a one way to Hat Yai.

It was my plan to travel with a boat from Satun to Langkawi and fly from there to Sillipor again.

At the travel agency I was informed Thai Airways refused to sell me a one way ticket. I argued I did have a Sillipore - Europe ticket at no avail :o

Finally I opted for a ticket to Penang, took a taxi to the Thai boarder and entered by foot at Sadao without problems.

Just silly I had to do it this way, some organistions have no brains obviousely.

15 years ago. Useful information. Thank you

...when entering Thailand...

Without an onward ticket the major risk at present is when checking in for the flight, not when entering Thailand.

--

Maestro

Agreed completely. I am surprised they allowed you to sign a waiver and actually let you on the plane. However, you appearance, and their perception of you may have something to do with it. had you been an unwashed backpacker who had not had a shave or a bath for a week then it may have been quite different.

As an anecdote, I was once flying back from Tokyo to Frankfurt and needed to change at the last minute to come to Bangkok. I didn't have time to sort it out with Lufthansa and just booked a one way with some airline. When checking in at Narita, they questioned me about my onward plans as I had no Thai visa but I just said I was rescheduling and I would have my office sort out a ticket from Bangkok when I arrived. I had no issues at Bangkok and received the standard 30 days entry stamp.

I can confirm Thai Airways International (was years ago as posters experience) refused me travel from PI to Bangkok on a return portion of Bangkok purchased ticket that I already had without a visa - I was forced to buy a new round trip ticket to book my flight. This was direct from Thai - no middle man.

and you were only lucky you were admitted. signs everywhere staing you need an onward. i would imagine your post would have been full on whinging and indignation had you not been let in despite all the warnings.

However, you appearance, and their perception of you may have something to do with it. Had you been an unwashed backpacker who had not had a shave or a bath for a week then it may have been quite different.

perhaps he was a gritty mess?? what an assumption and prejudice against people you dont even know. quite obvious you know little about asia as you seemingly have never done any backpacking.

people are still laboring under the misimpression that the crackdown is aimed at backpackers. it is not. it is aimed at you, the visa runner (not tourists). ps: there are plenty of slovenly unwashed perpetual sex tourists in bangkok and pattaya. people in glass houses sould not throw stones.

Last year Qantas in Melbourne refused to check me in on the return of a round trip ticket back to Bangkok because I didn't have an onward ticket even though I had a valid type "O" (retirement) visa and re-entry permit. Granted the visa was only good for 2 more days but I have never had a problem renewing being married to a Thai and having 800k baht in the bank. They said it might not be renewed so I needed a onward ticket. Needless to say I ended up buying a one way fundable ticket to Singapore at which point they gave me a hard time about not having onward ticket out of Singapore. They finally checked me in after more arguments.

A side note concerning my US passport. When this occurred they also pointed out that my passport was valid for only 7 more months and had it been less than 6 they would only board me on a flight back to the US.

With a 30-day entry on Arrival stamp, you are supposed to have an onward or return ticket.

With any visa a one-way ticket is fine when entering Thailand. This rule has been in force for a very long time and the above poster was lucky he managed to deal with a compassionate and kind immigration officer.

The OP managed to board his flight with no problem at all.

Could you please explain what would have happened if the immigration officer was not compassionate?

I can confirm Thai Airways International (was years ago as posters experience) refused me travel from PI to Bangkok on a return portion of Bangkok purchased ticket that I already had without a visa - I was forced to buy a new round trip ticket to book my flight. This was direct from Thai - no middle man.

That's interesting. I've never had a problem travelling one way from PI to Bangkok in Thai Airways. I usually do it the same way as you did i.e. using a return portion of a return ticket purchased in Thailand.

The last time I did (April this year) I bought a BKK-Penang ticket just in case, but wasn't asked to show it. I had no visa.

I wouldn't chance it though without having an onward ticket.

Last year Qantas in Melbourne refused to check me in on the return of a round trip ticket back to Bangkok because I didn't have an onward ticket even though I had a valid type "O" (retirement) visa and re-entry permit. Granted the visa was only good for 2 more days but I have never had a problem renewing being married to a Thai and having 800k baht in the bank. They said it might not be renewed so I needed a onward ticket. Needless to say I ended up buying a one way fundable ticket to Singapore at which point they gave me a hard time about not having onward ticket out of Singapore. They finally checked me in after more arguments.

I would take this as a good reason not to fly with Qantas.

As I said - this was years ago, as was the posters experience; when they were called Thai International in my case (about 20 years ago as I recall).

Perhaps with the advent of many competitive budget airlines running similar routes these major airlines are softening their approach somewhat. This is something that Qantas, having had a monopoly for so many years, has not quite grasped yet.

Thanks for posting your experience. Many still don't believe that the rule is now enforced. You were quite lucky that you got a friendly Immigration Officer.

I have been asked more than once to show proof of an onward ticket at the airport (leaving to go to LOS).

If Immigration inside Thailand is checking, people might want to get a cheap onward ticket. You can probably get a refundable ticket also.

or just get a real Thai visa. :o

July I mobilised to site with a one year open return with EVA London to Bangkok and then another one year open return Bangkok to Da Nang with PB Air. I had a one week stopover at BKK, being due some vacation, which I was doing on a visa exempt entry. When I checked in at LHR I presented my LHR-BKK ticket and passport and was not asked for proof of onward travel. On arrival at Bangkok I presented all documents, including the open LHR-BKK return ticket, but the officer just handed the ticket back without so much as a glance at it (I had the BKK-DAD ticket ready in my top pocket just in case).

In countless arrivals at Bangkok on visa exempt entries I have never been asked for proof of onward/return travel but I always have it to hand.

As an aside, due to the incompetance of the people who arranged my travel and booked me London-Ha Noi-Da Nang with a 30 minute connection time, I ditched the ticket and bought a one way BKK-DAD ticket. I had no visa for VN, collecting it at the airport, and the girl at check in was very dubious at letting me on the flight. Luckily I had with me two copies of my visa letter one of which she kept.

PS JR, you have been a member of TV for over a year now and this subject is often discussed so it should not have come as a surprise.

<edit to add the PS>

Edited by PhilHarries

before we settled in Thailand three years ago my wife and me used to visit the country at least twice -sometimes three times- a year to spend our holidays here. not once we were asked to present a return ticket.

addendum: i am talking of a quarter century visiting Thailand.

Edited by Naam

i was asked for a ticket out last time i came in from india at the bkk airport. the agent was hurried and sidtracked and did not ask again.

i have been asked numerous times in tpe on ci (china air). i was also asked some years ago on cx (catha pac) from lax.

given the hostile nature of immigration in general toward visa runners i dont know why anyone would attempt this accept under unique circumstance. thailand loves to say no and once that is said there is no turning back. decision final, move along.

whatever went on years ago in regard to leeway is ancient history. just a few years ago you could get a triple in penang, whats your point?

I'm surprised the OP was allowed on the 'plane.

I have been required to show proof of onward/return travel when checking in in Manchester.

Funiiy enough though travelling from Ha Noi to Bangkok VN Airlines makes my wife get a return ticket but not me, they tell me the Bangkok Immigration don't bother with Farangs but do with ASEANs.

Neither my wife or myself have ever been asked to show outbound tickets though.

• 3 months later...
i have been asked numerous times in tpe on ci (china air). i was also asked some years ago on cx (catha pac) from lax.

Luumak - when you were asked in TPE for an onward ticket, did you already have a tourist visa for Thailand, or were you going to Thailand on a visa exempt visit? Also, were you asked directly by China Air, or by officials at TPE? Thanks!

I'm surprised the OP was allowed on the 'plane.

I have been required to show proof of onward/return travel when checking in in Manchester.

Funiiy enough though travelling from Ha Noi to Bangkok VN Airlines makes my wife get a return ticket but not me, they tell me the Bangkok Immigration don't bother with Farangs but do with ASEANs.

Neither my wife or myself have ever been asked to show outbound tickets though.

I have never been asked for a ticket at immigration, I have seen other people being asked for tickets, but never a falang.

I travel in and out of Thailand once or twice each month for the last 4 years. I have a non-B now so it is not an issue, but for the first 3 years I would be asked aboiut 50% of the time by the airlines in order to check in. If I had a return flight within 30 days they would not say anything. But many times I would fly out from Bangkok, to China or someplace else. I would then have to get my next ticket before leaving because I did not want to try to come back to Bangkok using the return part of my flight without an onward ticket.

I agree that it is most likely at check in but if you were questioned by Thai immigration after getting that far and could show some cards, perhaps cash and talk your way through a trip which would get you out of Thailand within 30 days then I say you'd stand a fair chance of getting in. Not guaranteed for sure but it appears it is down to their discretion and not just a straight "No".

I came in from Tokyo on a one way a few years ago and they did ask me at check in but I said I'd just get a ticket in Bangkok and all was OK. About 4 years ago I think.

I would be surprised if anyone at the airport would ask. To the best of my knowledge, I have never been asked to show proof of onward travel at the Airport, and also never at my many crossings between Laos and Thailand.

Air Asia however did ask me and even my Lao partner on several occasions. Last time in Phnom Penh, where my Lao partner, got into trouble. The check in clerk, first asked where is the Thai tourist visa, upon my reply, that Lao citizens don't need a tv to enter thailand, he asked for a return ticket, I told him that Lao citizens are not required to have a ticket out, to receive 30 days, as it is mutual visa exempt. He didn't back down, of course we had a ticket out to Amsterdam within 30 days, so I just showed him that ticket.

The same happened less then two weeks ago at HK airport, flying with Emirates, both me and my partner needed to show proof of onward travel, no problem.

Past 5 years i've been buying my tickets from BKK and gone thru BKK immigration several times a year without visa and return tickets out. Working outside so only short holidays and regular weekend trips to LOS... Only once they asked the ticket but were satisfied with my reply that i buy from BKK as i get better deal here.

They do ask return tickets more nowdays but mainly from backbaggers and other than "falangs". Last time group of Chinese in front of me had to show their return tickets but for me no probs.

Airlines are ok as long as you fly regional. Coming from Europe, US or from AUS the carriers are more strick as they have to fly you back in their own cost if you are refused entry.

Once a nice imm lady asked if i've been in Thailand before. Replied "yes" and the lady gave me a nice smile and said "yes i know, have so many photos here" looking at her computer screen... :o

Maybe it helps to have "clean" record of regular short visits in their system...