Exit Poll Results Show PPP Wins

george

Well Toxin, despite all his dark side was regulary elected. We can't say the same about the military junta.

It's not up to us to decide wether the voters made the wrong or right decision.

I just hope that there will be a return of democracy in the land of smile.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not up to us to decide whether the voters made the wrong or right decision.

Well, we can certainly have an opinion about it. The latest press I am reading is making it sound pretty grim for Abhisit, and also suggesting that Thailand might get the Chart Thai leader (Banharn Silapa-archa , now that's a mouthful) as PM (not Samak) as part of the deal to form a coalition with PPP (and Prem is OK with this). Oh well!

The grand return of Thaksin is going to be quite a spectacle!

Edited by Jingthing

IMHO the military did a good job, they just acted like administrators where the management had to be removed.

The lesson is clear bad management and you will get a dose of the same medicine. The coup itself was very well run with no "colateral damage" to use the US term. Congratulation to all involved.

IMHO the military did a good job, they just acted like administrators where the management had to be removed.

The lesson is clear bad management and you will get a dose of the same medicine. The coup itself was very well run with no "colateral damage" to use the US term. Congratulation to all involved.

B*ll*cks, the Army removed a three times elected government, end of story.

They then bumbled around for a year, providing a textbook example of why the military should not run any country.

To top it all, they couldn't even rig this election to ensure that their people won it!

The trouble is, the people of rural Thailand, having managed to elect what they saw as their champions - Thaksin and TRT - will not be happy to be cheated again.

Let me get this straight in my head. Thaksin and his henchmen ran the country like their own business and ladeled off the cream. They became hated by the country for selling a telecommunications company to the Singaporians which lead to paranoid panic amongst the populace.

Let me help you.

Thaksin and his henchmen ran the Country like their own business and ladeled off the cream?

According to who? The Junta? Why would you believe that propganda? The guy was a billionaire long before his political life.

Selling a Communications business to Singapore?

Yes, It was his company, started long before he got into politics. Didn't belong to Thailand. The Junta propoganda made it sound like he sold an asset belonging to the Country. Wrong.

The coup waasn't about Thaksins corruption. It was about his enemies wanting to rip off the country.

Look at the mess they made since the coup.

Its sad to see that the majority of Farangs here do not respect the Thai peoples right to democratically elect a government of their choice.

I for one would agree with you there. The Thai people have the right to determine what type of government they want. without interference of selfish western interests.

Some might call it a form of neo-colonialism.

Yes, It was his company, started long before he got into politics. Didn't belong to Thailand. The Junta propoganda made it sound like he sold an asset belonging to the Country. Wrong.

It was indeed his company, but why did it grow so much during his time as PM? Having introduced the village fund, what did the villagers do with their loans? Many bought mobile phones, which greatly boosted the value of Takkos company

Don't you imagine he had this in mind when he introduced the village fund? He was a very shrewd person. If you don't most Thai people do

Its sad to see that the majority of Farangs here do not respect the Thai peoples right to democratically elect a government of their choice.

We like to see them vote, we don't like who they voted for and what the likely result of this might be. Not sad. Real.

Most of us favored a move towards stability and compromise. This result won't do it.

We?

Really, who is we? I may be a farang and have no vote, but I'm not included in the 'We'. Thaksin was illegally ousted and now his party has won legitimately again :o . Here's a story. Before the coup nonsense I knew a woman from Buriram who was studying for an entrance exam to start nursing school. If she passed the exam, the the government (under TRT) was going to give her a full scholarship to study. She passed the exam with high marks and then the coup. The new government said, "Sorry, there's no more scholarship for you." The poor in Thailand needed help with education and someone was willing to help out. It's a basic need. If people's basic needs are met, they will support the person who provided or tried to provide the needs.

To top it all, they couldn't even rig this election to ensure that their people won it!

The trouble is, the people of rural Thailand, having managed to elect what they saw as their champions - Thaksin and TRT - will not be happy to be cheated again.

Nah, cos rigging elections is the forte of Toxin and his proxies. The past admin were interested in setting up a "free and fair" election, although whether they succeeded, only time will tell. They no doubt will respect the result, (with a few red cards shown I suspect for major abuses of the electoral system) and will stay uninvolved directly up to the point where there is major shenanigans by Samak and the TRT/PPP mob. At that point, the future course of action becomes rather uncertain and the scenarios are as depressing as the prospect of a Samak-Toxin ticket. :o

Edited by plachon

Let me get this straight in my head. Thaksin and his henchmen ran the country like their own business and ladeled off the cream. They became hated by the country for selling a telecommunications company to the Singaporians which lead to paranoid panic amongst the populace.

Let me help you.

Thaksin and his henchmen ran the Country like their own business and ladeled off the cream?

According to who? The Junta? Why would you believe that propganda? The guy was a billionaire long before his political life.

The coup waasn't about Thaksins corruption. It was about his enemies wanting to rip off the country.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. My wife has just informed me that Mr. Thaksin didn't just sell his communications company to Singapore. According to her, every country has a right to claim the air space above it in order to place and use communication satellites. Mr. Thaksin was granted a concession to Thailand's claim and this he then sold to Singapore. Beyond being a breach of ethics, the military belive it to be a security risk. Is this a fact?

Despite belonging to one of the losing parties in my area, one candidate of three handed out money and the registration number was specifically mentioned. That candidate received significantly more votes than the other two belonging to the same party.

So for all the doubters, money does talk. Whilst some voters take whats on offer and vote for whom they want, in this instance it appears clear that many did indeed cast their vote for the money provider.

No matter who forms the government they should send the entire military off to Iraq or similar to give them something to do with their lives. They need a sandbox to play with their toys outside of the parliament buildings and the street.

I've only skimmed through the last couple of pages of posts but only one person alluded to the reason for the coup.. The military filled up their budget reservoir to overflowing in a year, cemented themselves into ISOC and did little else.

With PPP winning clearly over their closest opponents maybe that's an eye opener to the Military that they have not had a handle on the feelings or the wants of the Thai population.

Time will tell if Thailand is going to take a step forward or another step backward.

It was indeed his company, but why did it grow so much during his time as PM? Having introduced the village fund, what did the villagers do with their loans? Many bought mobile phones, which greatly boosted the value of Takkos company

Don't you imagine he had this in mind when he introduced the village fund? He was a very shrewd person. If you don't most Thai people do

Like I said......he was a billionair long BEFORE politics.

He was a such a good Prime Minister and businessman that the entire economy grew at rapid pace under his leadership. Thailand was a mess when he took office and was bailed out by the WMF. A loan that Thaksin paid off early.

Did you know the stock market doubled in 2003? Best performing market in the world I recall.

He has a few companies listed, so of course his net worth went up. Way up, along with anybody in the Thai stock market.

To say he cheated his way to the top proves you don't know what your talking about.

Edited by PadThaiGuy

He was a such a good Prime Minister and businessman that the entire economy grew at rapid pace under his leadership. Thailand was a mess when he took office and was bailed out by the WMF. A loan that Thaksin paid off early.

Did you know the stock market doubled in 2003? Best performing market in the world I recall.

He has a few companies listed, so of course his net worth went up. Way up, along with anybody in the Thai stock market.

To say he cheated his way to the top proves you don't know what your talking about.

Agree. The middle and upper class elite will find whatever bullshit they can find to soil him with. They already have their basic needs met, and that is why they will never understand the situation from the viewpoint of the poor and rural farmers who Thaksin has supported.

Let me help you.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. My wife has just informed me that Mr. Thaksin didn't just sell his communications company to Singapore. According to her, every country has a right to claim the air space above it in order to place and use communication satellites. Mr. Thaksin was granted a concession to Thailand's claim and this he then sold to Singapore. Beyond being a breach of ethics, the military belive it to be a security risk. Is this a fact?

No, your facts are wrong on this one.

The Military eluded that he sold State Assets after the coup, wanted the satellites back and caused hard feelings with Singapore.

Later the prime minister stated that they just said that to stir up nationalism.

Singapore still owns the company .

Wife just informed me her brother (living in the same village) went to vote yesterday and was told he already voted last week in Sakhon Nakhon :D

At least two other people in the village seemed to have the same problem, how is that possible?

Anything goes here? :o

He was a billionaire before politics and a multi billionaire in politics.

He used his position to get richer.

If he got richer by abusing his position that is corruption.

Thats what so many people are upset about.

With PPP in power they are afraid it will be more of the same.

Yes Thailand PLC got richer whilst he was in power but little of it filtered down to the guy in the paddies.

Thaksin ally wins Thai election

Mr Samak said that Mr Thaksin had already congratulated him

The party allied to Thailand's ousted PM Thaksin Shinawatra has won the general election, initial results from the Election Commission show.

The congratulatory billboards along the expressway have already been put up this morning...

shithits.jpg

little of it filtered down to the guy in the paddies.

If this is the case as you say, then why have they voted for him a third time? Oh, yes, they must be stupid, barefoot hicks.

Not stupid, just uneducated and easy prey for anyone using Taksins brand of nationalist, populist policies.

One of my wifes neighbours voted for the PPP yesterday because she said it would be easier to get a loan if she did.

Her sister already has land in hock after getting a Toxic loan as does another member of her family.

Vulnerable people getting suckered into something they can't afford.

It wont be long before the spoilers (read PAD and their behind the scenes backers) get going to cause trouble and incite the military to steal government again. How many elections is it going to take for the wealthy class and their cronies to realize the people have made their choices clear on Three separate occasions in a little over 2 years. Are they going to try for 4 in a row? This ridiculous repetition of coup/election, coup/election is making Thailand a laughing stock and damaging the country economically. How can democracy evolve and flourish when the military can march in and seize power, changing laws and appointing their own people into critical positions at any time they choose? The previous military dictatorship has set the stage for the next coup with the introduction of their internal security law.

The only way the country is ever going to progress into a genuine democracy is for the Democrats to wake up and follow the TRT and PPP lead by appealing to the greatest number of voters (who just happen to be the countries disadvantaged rural poor) rather than the wealthy upper class elite.

All the propaganda and discrediting court cases in the world are not going to cause the poor peasant class to embrace the Democrats when they have actually seen some real improvements in their quality of life under TRT. So long as the military is allowed to play one party off against the other, and so long as the political parties remain un-united in bringing the generals to heel, the coups are bound to continue.

Certainly the Thai culture of entrenched corruption at almost every level of society is a great threat to a true working democracy, but the ever present threat of a military take over is an even greater obstacle. No democracy can grow where the military can seize power at will and make up new rules as they go.

The poor peasant class majority are using their democratic right to vote as a means of asking for a better deal for themselves and their children.

Anyone who knows anything about Thailand will know that there is a huge discrepancy in wealth and opportunity between the upper class elite and the poor peasant class. And that this discrepancy is largely defined by ethnicity with the Chinese Thais controlling most of the wealth and political power, while the Issarn Thais of Lao decent are severely disadvantaged in virtually every sense. When the Democrats finally realize that the road to Government is through attracting votes from the peasant class majority they may well have a chance. At the moment the Democrats voter support is mainly the middle and upper class who happen to be a minority. Not a good strategy to gain enough votes to win government. And reliance on the military to oust the democratically elected government in an effort to set the stage for win through the back door under conditions set by a biast military dictatorship has proven to be only very marginally successful.

Thaksin, who is himself one of the Chinese Thai elite was smart enough to figure out that in a democracy you need to appeal to the majority of voters.

Maybe the Democrats will figure it out too one day? I hope so, for the sake of the country.

Four parties talk about forming coalition

The Democrat, Chart Thai, Puea Paendin, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana have already talked about forming the next coalition, a source said.

But they will wait for election results before announcing their plan to form the coalition together.

The Nation

Unofficial results showed PPP wins 228 seats while its rival Democrat party gets 166 seats from a total of 480 seats of both constituency and party-list candidacy.

Chart Thai party wins 39 seats so far while Puea Pandin party gets 26 seats, Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana wins 10 seats, Matchimathipataya has 7 seats and Pracharaj has 4 seats.

..that makes 241 seats! There is hope!

And again, yawn, the Chinese Thai control every single party so it doesn't really matter who you vote for. Democrats, PPP, it's the same game, it doesn't matter how much the parking attendants outside of the stadium in the parking lot bicker about it.

:o

The village fund was formed so the villagers would buy cell phones? :o