Train To Penang

Rudy47

The travel agent has quoted me a price of approx. 3000 baht return which is similar to a return flight ticket. The trip takes about 12 hours to complete. The option is to fly or train back.

I'm looking for anyone's experiences with the train to Penang. I am wondering about the quality of first class sleeper cars and any danger elements.

post-54793-1198663967_thumb.jpg

I don't think they have first-class sleepers to Penang (Butterworth) anymore. First-class goes down to HatYai only, as far as I know. Second-class aircon sleeper is comfortable, though, and the Southern insurgency has generally stayed away from the main train line, I believe they tend to make a nuisance of themselves on the local routes. So it should be safe...but it will also take quite a bit more than 12 hours, check out www.seat61.com for recent updates.

The travel agent has quoted me a price of approx. 3000 baht return which is similar to a return flight ticket. The trip takes about 12 hours to complete. The option is to fly or train back.

I'm looking for anyone's experiences with the train to Penang. I am wondering about the quality of first class sleeper cars and any danger elements.

That is too expensive, should be more like 2000 baht unless there has been a recent major price increase. Buy your ticket directly at a train station if possible.

The sleeper is 2nd class; you can get air-con or not; it's comfortable enough. Food and service are not very good and of course overpriced, so bring your own food and drink as much as possible. Bring earplugs or a music player to cut out some of the noise from the constant talkers, esp. the Filipinos. No stops have English newspapers. Coming back, when you get off at Pedang Besar, look for the Muslim girls selling curry chicken (if they are there); it's pretty good. Be sure your suitcase is obviously marked somethow and maybe even chained to the rail. My bag was once grabbed ACCIDENTALLY of course and I was lucky to find it on the platform w/ the grabber before the train left that station.

I can't help with any train information, but I am curious to know the end result of your motorcycle rental and repairs in Pattaya. Were you able to return the motorcycles with the repairs unnoticed?

Not to steer this off topic- could you post a conclusion to the repair story on that topic? It may prove to be useful information for people who end up in a simialr situation in the future!

I recently travelled down to Penang and back by train. Buying a 2nd class aircon sleeper ticket at Pattaya Railway station cost me B.2200. The journey each way, from Bangkok Hualomgpong Station, takes at least 21 hours. I always use a sleeping tablet so that I get a good night's sleep. My experience of the restaurant cars has always been good. One final tip: take a towel as such luxury items are not provided by Thai Railways.

I enjoyed the butterworth train a lot. In Petchaburi sellers come on and sell 3 for 100B MorGang desserts worth buying. But don't expect change! The boy never came back with my change. The train operator ended up paying me, and insisting he would get the money from the boy coming back the other way. Very impressed.

I recently travelled down to Penang and back by train. Buying a 2nd class aircon sleeper ticket at Pattaya Railway station cost me B.2200. The journey each way, from Bangkok Hualomgpong Station, takes at least 21 hours. I always use a sleeping tablet so that I get a good night's sleep. My experience of the restaurant cars has always been good. One final tip: take a towel as such luxury items are not provided by Thai Railways.

I've visited the Pattaya station and found it closed. I'm wondering how to go about finding it open so that we can purchase our tickets. Anyone know? Also, is there an option for guarded parking a la the bus station? Thank you.

Phyllis

I've visited the Pattaya station and found it closed. I'm wondering how to go about finding it open so that we can purchase our tickets. Anyone know? Also, is there an option for guarded parking a la the bus station? Thank you.

Phyllis

The station was likely closed for a holiday. It is open most of the time.

Guarded parking at the bus station? One can only wish.

Total cost for the trip in Baht:

Taxi Pattaya-BKK-AP (return): 2000

Airport Tax: 500

Air Asia return ticket: 4500

AP limousine to Hotel: 380

Hotel 2 nights: 1800

Visa agent: 200

Triple entry tourist visa: 3000

Taxi to airport: 160

Total: 12540

A package excluding the visa and AP tax was offered to me for a price of 12000 Baht by Maneerat Travel on Soi Postoffice. (13000 Bt with Cititel Hotel)

With this visa you can stay 2 month in Thailand, then get another month extension at the Jomtien immigration for 1900 Bt. Doing then 2 more regular border trips and 2 more extensions you can stay in Thailand for 9 month.

Total cost will be:

Visa run to Penang: 12540 Bt

2 border trips each 1800 Bt = 3600 Bt

3 extensions each 1900 Bt = 5700 Bt

Total = 21840 Bt or 2427 Baht per month

Compared to the monthly border runs you would spend beside the 2 or 3 days in Penang only 2 additional days for border runs and 3 short trips to the immigration.