Driving License Question.

katom

Hi friends,

I know only thai or international driving license is valid in Thailand (especielly for the insurance..).

My insurance company told me that only thai or international is covered by the insurance.

SO..why I keep get english guys (especielly english guys..) telling me the ENGLAND driving license is valid in Thailand??

Is there any true with this case??

thanks,its important for me to know.. :o

NOPE, a UK licence is only valid in LoS when accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP) from the AA or RAC and then only for 90 days from entry.

That said. The police don't care so long as you pay the 'fine', major rental companies have blanket insurance that covers all risks including their renters not having 'proper' documents.

If you drive a private car there is a risk that when you have a shunt the insurance company will use the fact that you don't have legal driving documents to avoid paying.

Edited by Crossy

If you drive a private car there is a risk that when you have a shunt the insurance company will use the fact that you don't have legal driving documents to avoid paying.

When I was in Thailand on a Multi Entry "O" visa, I asked the insurance company if I would be permitted to drive on my UK licence (no IDP). They said it was no problem. However, I ensured that they kept a copy of my licence in their files.

One accident during that time and my licence was acceptable for the claim. Btw, the driver of the mo sai that hit me didn't have a licence, tax or insurance!

thanks I just wanted to make sure its true .

Always english guys telling me I'm a fool and its VERY OK to drive with local England driving license .

whats the matter with them??and its guys that live here for years..

sure thy had some accident and they needed to claim..so their insurance accepted their local driving license or what? sounds wierd.

thanks I just wanted to make sure its true .

Always english guys telling me I'm a fool and its VERY OK to drive with local England driving license .

This is an ENGLISH 'guy' (we put those on bonfires) saying that it's not :o

It's only a risk that the insurance won't cough up, I'm not aware of an actual instance of a failure to pay but why take the risk when being fully legal is not exactly difficult :D

NOPE, a UK licence is only valid in LoS when accompanied by an International Driving Permit (IDP) from the AA or RAC and then only for 90 days from entry.

That said. The police don't care so long as you pay the 'fine', major rental companies have blanket insurance that covers all risks including their renters not having 'proper' documents.

As usual, Crossy, your answer is correct and practical.

It's only a risk that the insurance won't cough up, I'm not aware of an actual instance of a failure to pay but why take the risk when being fully legal is not exactly difficult :o

Crossy - I now have a visa extension based upon retirement so now have a Thai licence.

However, in the dark days before that I found it very difficult to obtain an IDP being resident initially in Malaysia and thereafter here.

BTW, as a legal document, an IDP issued by the RAC or AA is useless in Thailand in my opinion. The original idea of IDPs (at least in UK) was to provide a translation of your British licence into foreign tongues and include a picture. As far as I remember there was no Thai translation on the one I used to have.

BTW, as a legal document, an IDP issued by the RAC or AA is useless in Thailand in my opinion. The original idea of IDPs (at least in UK) was to provide a translation of your British licence into foreign tongues and include a picture. As far as I remember there was no Thai translation on the one I used to have.

Yep, agreed totally bl00dy useless, no Thai anywhere. HOWEVER that doesn't change the fact that to be legal you must have one. There's no Korean either, but at least the Korean cops know a. What one looks like and b. That you need one.

I don't think the rules have changed officially, but the major Land Transport Offices (certainly Mo Chit) are issuing Thai licences without needing the IDP or doing the driving test if you have either a European or US licence (probably Oz as well but I can't confirm).

To be honest it would be sensible to allow driving on either as well, we all know the standard of training in our home countries far exceeds that given to drivers here.

Yep, agreed totally bl00dy useless, no Thai anywhere. HOWEVER that doesn't change the fact that to be legal you must have one. There's no Korean either, but at least the Korean cops know a. What one looks like and b. That you need one.

I am not disagreeing that you should have one.

It's another case of "it says you must, so therefore you must".

As with the British Embassy letter (which I understand they're now charging almost Bht 4.000.00 for):

"Jayenram has indicated that he resides at ............................... and there is no information in our consular records to the detriment of the applicant"

I other words, if it's all crap, you can't blame us!

"BTW, as a legal document, an IDP issued by the RAC or AA is useless in Thailand in my opinion. The original idea of IDPs (at least in UK) was to provide a translation of your British licence into foreign tongues and include a picture. As far as I remember there was no Thai translation on the one I used to have."

It's far from useless if a serious legal issue arises. The IDP is valid because Thailand agreed to accept them. The fact that thai is not one of the languages used doesn't matter. The IDP also makes getting a Thai license easy.

For practical purposes though the ATM machines issue accepted licenses.

It's far from useless if a serious legal issue arises. The IDP is valid because Thailand agreed to accept them.

I would be interested to read where this fact is published.

United Nations 1949 Convention on Road Traffic . Updated again in 1968.

Thailand is included.

The AA or RAC IDP is valid. As Crossy has pointed out............is valid for a max period of 90 days use at any ONE time in a country other than your home country.

http://www.iadc-club.com/pr2/eng-con.html

http://drivers.com/article/937/

http://www.idlicense.com/UNCountries.asp

Edited by stevemiddie

A taxi driver reversed into me a couple of weeks ago (I was stationary at the time).

The driver gave a story of not having enough money to pay for the damage to my expensive car and that he was not insured (private taxi). I realized that it would be more of a headache to go through the process of my insurance attempting to get money from him etc, so I just accepted responsibility and let the apologetic fellow (careless, gormless twit) on his way. Accidents happen and he didn’t do it deliberately so I just wanted the next steps to be as trouble free as possible.

As the crash was ‘my fault’ my insurance was having to foot the repair bills, I have an international permit but it was not in my car.

I presented only my UK permit to the insurance chappy, no problems my car is in the garage having the dent and parts fixed.

The insurance for another crash about 6 years ago was also processed with my UK license (police involved too), with no problem.

I would always advise having an international permit to avoid any issues in the event things become sticky, however I’ve not ‘needed’ to use mine so far (I have to get it renewed each year).

(I’d get a Thai license but I’ve been about to do that for the last few years)

It's far from useless if a serious legal issue arises. The IDP is valid because Thailand agreed to accept them.

I would be interested to read where this fact is published.

http://www.iadc-club.com/pr2/eng-con.html

"DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES

ARTICLE 41

Validity of driving license

1.Contracting Parties shall recognize:

(a) Any domestic driver's license drawn up in their national language or in one of their national languages, or, if not drawn up in such a language, accompanied by a certified translation;

(:o Any domestic driver's license conforming to the provisions of Annex 6 to this Convention; and

© Any international driver's document conforming to the provisions of Annex 7 to this Convention, as valid for driving in their territories a vehicle coming within the categories covered by domestic driver's license, provided that the license is still valid and that it was issued by another Contracting Party or subdivision thereof or by an association duly answered thereto by such other Contracting Party. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to learner-driver permits."

Maybe I'm reading the article incorrectly but to me it appears to say that a domestic licence or an IDP shall be recognised.

No mention of the 90 day rule though.

Edited by jayenram
Attempting to remove the smilies (b) and (c) from the quote

On returning from taking the wife to vote I was flagged down on the highway (21) by the traffic police. Produced my IDP for the police officer, he had a quick look at the photo and handed it back, did not seem to mean much to him.

What did was that I was driving to fast!! 110 km on a dual carriage road. He showed me some nice drawings of vehicles and speed limits, 90 km for pickup truck sir, please pay fine - 1000 baht, which was written at the bottom of the ticket.

Yes thats 1000 baht!, last time I was stopped it was 200 baht, wife says they probably all pissed off after working on the elections, need money for new year.

So 'memo' to self, drive within the speed limits and watch out for those sneaky radar traps.