Truly Interesting Visa Story

Like many I've been ducking and diving with visas for a few years. Sometimes a non b, sometimes a tourist and sometimes a 30 day. Anyway, a surprise result of launching a court case in Thailand (another ripping yarn) granted me the 'privelege' of a 90 day extension to my visa, although thinking about it I didn't have a visa at that time as I was on a 30 day (This is Thailand TIT). And it gets better, because the court case was delayed on a triviality (TIT) I got the opportunity of another one. All my solicitor had to do was obtain another letter from the court and bingo another 90 days. Only problem is that for some inexplicable reason this normally clever, competent guy and friend hasn't obtained it yet, stating that the court has been neglectfully slow to issue it (TIT). As I'd upped the ante I believe him, and as from Tuesday I'm on overstay.

What a pain! so back on the train for a 30 day, after all I don't want to overstay and honestly part of this is a genuine respect for law and order- a rule is a rule, a deadline is a deadline. But I thought I'd give Suan Plu a try first. Sorry can't issue another 90 day till the required paperwork is furnished. No problem. I've got a genuine medical prob. and supplied the doctor's report. Surely worth a 7 day at least. No can do too. The extension is for purposes of court proceedings and can't be issued for any other purpose, ie, medical. The irony here is that this is a genuine medical problem I have although it is non urgent.

Ok no problem. I asked him to check my rather full passport to ascertain if there was enough space for a tourist visa to be squeezed in, and whether I was eligible for another 30 day. No can do. What no space or eligibilty ?. No, the terms of the 90 day extension are not just that you are granted a 90 day extension but that it is a requirement that you must stay, until the case is decided, or I choose to drop the case. So yours truly aint going nowhere. Oh my Gawd! a prisoner of fortress Thailand; still there's worse things in life

Bit of a catch 22 then: I want to renew but can't but I am legally required to do so, but currently unable to do so (TIT) by dint of the law and it's workings. The same law that requires me to do so- if you get my drift.

So This is Thailand, after exchanging a few wry smiles, and a bit of amused animated chit chat with colleagues, he advised me that if the paper failed to show up then I could go along to the court myself and get a report of the court proceedings which would suffice, as he believed me, and the computer showed the court case hadn't been closed :D . Not just a VDU then!!!!

The good news was that as I was compelled to stay I couldn't overstay :D . The bad news I was in breach of the terms and so would be fined on a daily basis accordingly (TIT) :D . But I have been given a grace period to sort it out.

I think this will be resolved relatively easily, no doubt at some loss to the overall weight of my wallet. I'm not complaining either. I must say they were very helpful at Suan Plu, saved me a lot of time and bother, and seemed to do all they could to give me what I wanted within the framework of the law. They could just as equally have been quite obstructive and probably my record gave them good grounds. I think it's time I got sorted.

Anyway, it's a ripping visa yarn and I swear it's true. I hope the posting won't attract the naysayers who seem to want to criminalise visa runners. No law is being broken, and it's often necessary to wend your way through systems as best you can, just as they most surely weave their sinuous arms in to our own lives like it or not. Further this is not a beat down on Thailand even though it has a distinctly Thai flavour. Let's be honest, the law already bends over backwards to help us stay. Could anybody do the same in UK, AUS, USA for instance? No this is about lunocrocies worldwide and what happens when you think you can get a free ride. :o Still, I'm only 46 (or 47 is it?) so I cam claim youthful naivety if all else fails.

An interesting way of extending your stay. :o

If you passport is too full you can apply for a new one, then ask for the extension to be transfered.

It seemed like a good idea at the time :D My solicitor didn't mention the downside perhaps he never knew.

I feel like playing 'hotel california'- the bit about you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave' seems very apt.

Can't help feeling the desk clerk got it a bit wrong. Surely as regards freedom of movement there would be a distinction between civil and criminal, who was the plaintiff and who was the defendant/ acuused or whatever the jargon. As I am the plaintiff in a civil court case, it does seem a little extreme- to say the least. Still at least I haven't been tagged- yet :o

Could anybody do the same in UK, AUS, USA for instance?

Not sure about the UK and Aus, but if this story is anything to go by, then for the US, definitely not:

A young blonde Icelandic woman's recent experience visiting the US

My God what an awful story. I can barely believe it. Must be careful though we don't know the full story. But at first sight, isn't this torture? Makes 500 bt fine seem a bargain.

My God what an awful story. I can barely believe it. Must be careful though we don't know the full story. But at first sight, isn't this torture? Makes 500 bt fine seem a bargain.

I don't doubt it one bit and and b4 this gets listed as America bashing , I am an American.

Kind of the same reason the land borders are porous and this women was treated like an actual criminal.

What a Joke USA has become :o

I don't doubt it one bit and and b4 this gets listed as America bashing , I am an American.

Kind of the same reason the land borders are porous and this women was treated like an actual criminal.

What a Joke USA has become :o

Well it helps to make a distinction between the fine people and a rotten administration.

But stories like this are coming out in a wide range of situations. What a truly horrible event, it beggars belief. What I do notice about USA, and it can extend to personal dealings, is a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. All to the well and good if you are confronted by a crazed gunman, but in all other circumstances rather clumsy to say the least.

It's best treated as a world problem I believe.

Like many I've been ducking and diving with visas for a few years. Sometimes a non b, sometimes a tourist and sometimes a 30 day. Anyway, a surprise result of launching a court case in Thailand (another ripping yarn) granted me the 'privelege' of a 90 day extension to my visa, although thinking about it I didn't have a visa at that time as I was on a 30 day (This is Thailand TIT). And it gets better, because the court case was delayed on a triviality (TIT) I got the opportunity of another one. All my solicitor had to do was obtain another letter from the court and bingo another 90 days. Only problem is that for some inexplicable reason this normally clever, competent guy and friend hasn't obtained it yet, stating that the court has been neglectfully slow to issue it (TIT). As I'd upped the ante I believe him, and as from Tuesday I'm on overstay.

What a pain! so back on the train for a 30 day, after all I don't want to overstay and honestly part of this is a genuine respect for law and order- a rule is a rule, a deadline is a deadline. But I thought I'd give Suan Plu a try first. Sorry can't issue another 90 day till the required paperwork is furnished. No problem. I've got a genuine medical prob. and supplied the doctor's report. Surely worth a 7 day at least. No can do too. The extension is for purposes of court proceedings and can't be issued for any other purpose, ie, medical. The irony here is that this is a genuine medical problem I have although it is non urgent.

Ok no problem. I asked him to check my rather full passport to ascertain if there was enough space for a tourist visa to be squeezed in, and whether I was eligible for another 30 day. No can do. What no space or eligibilty ?. No, the terms of the 90 day extension are not just that you are granted a 90 day extension but that it is a requirement that you must stay, until the case is decided, or I choose to drop the case. So yours truly aint going nowhere. Oh my Gawd! a prisoner of fortress Thailand; still there's worse things in life

Bit of a catch 22 then: I want to renew but can't but I am legally required to do so, but currently unable to do so (TIT) by dint of the law and it's workings. The same law that requires me to do so- if you get my drift.

So This is Thailand, after exchanging a few wry smiles, and a bit of amused animated chit chat with colleagues, he advised me that if the paper failed to show up then I could go along to the court myself and get a report of the court proceedings which would suffice, as he believed me, and the computer showed the court case hadn't been closed :D . Not just a VDU then!!!!

The good news was that as I was compelled to stay I couldn't overstay :bah: . The bad news I was in breach of the terms and so would be fined on a daily basis accordingly (TIT) :D . But I have been given a grace period to sort it out.

I think this will be resolved relatively easily, no doubt at some loss to the overall weight of my wallet. I'm not complaining either. I must say they were very helpful at Suan Plu, saved me a lot of time and bother, and seemed to do all they could to give me what I wanted within the framework of the law. They could just as equally have been quite obstructive and probably my record gave them good grounds. I think it's time I got sorted.

Anyway, it's a ripping visa yarn and I swear it's true. I hope the posting won't attract the naysayers who seem to want to criminalise visa runners. No law is being broken, and it's often necessary to wend your way through systems as best you can, just as they most surely weave their sinuous arms in to our own lives like it or not. Further this is not a beat down on Thailand even though it has a distinctly Thai flavour. Let's be honest, the law already bends over backwards to help us stay. Could anybody do the same in UK, AUS, USA for instance? No this is about lunocrocies worldwide and what happens when you think you can get a free ride. :o Still, I'm only 46 (or 47 is it?) so I cam claim youthful naivety if all else fails.

:D Only in Thailand

Gee, maybe after I retire I can get my Thai girlfriend to start some kind of a court case against me. Then I will have to stay while the court sorts out the case. With any luck, we ought to able to drag the case out for 3 or 4 years. It would make the Visa thing much easier, wouldn't it?

:D

Well yeah, and it is a true story honestly, and I cracked the same joke with my solicitor a couple of months ago.

Incidentally it still costs.

But the point I wanted to make is that not only are you given the right to remain in situ., rather that it is an obligation. A very 2 edged sword. Most of us want to remain here sure, but want freedom of international movement notionally at least.

Although I'm sure there must be some error in the interpretation of the rule here. And as mentioned he was a whimsical chap- the guy who served me. If my solicitor bursts out in howls of laughter I'll let you know.

Is there a Thai version of April fools day?

So bros. maybe it's best to keep thinking.

So bros.

Whats a Bros?

Is this a new nationality I never heard of? Americans do seem to confuse Taiwan with Thailand. These Bros will surely not do.

Are these the fine people referred to above?

Edited by yorkman

Could anybody do the same in UK, AUS, USA for instance?

Not sure about the UK and Aus, but if this story is anything to go by, then for the US, definitely not:

A young blonde Icelandic woman's recent experience visiting the US

There were probably doing everything by the rules. Person comes in, is denied entry to the US. They are detained in a holding cell until they make a decision. They are then moved to a detention center untill they can be repatriated on the next flight back to their country of origin. They are handcuffed/shackeled while moving them. The legchains prevent them from running away and trying to escape. Sure this woman probably would not have done that, but others might.

They have rules to follow and probably followed them. The rules do not say if it is a pretty, young blonde woman from Iceland, then you do not need to put her in handcuffs/legchains. You do not need to send her to the detention center, send her to a hotel for the night instead.

There is so much political correctness going on in the US. They have to follow the rules for everyone even if it looks like overkill because if they dont, then when it is some Pakistani, or Syrian, and they do this, then they would claim that they only did this to them because they were muslim. Or if it was a person from Africa, they only did it because they were black. Following the procedures for everyone prevents them from being sued.

The good news was that as I was compelled to stay I couldn't overstay :bah: . The bad news I was in breach of the terms and so would be fined on a daily basis accordingly (TIT) :D . But I have been given a grace period to sort it out.

:D Only in Thailand

Gee, maybe after I retire I can get my Thai girlfriend to start some kind of a court case against me. Then I will have to stay while the court sorts out the case. With any luck, we ought to able to drag the case out for 3 or 4 years. It would make the Visa thing much easier, wouldn't it?

:D

Would that time count towards PR if you wanted it?

Well yeah, and it is a true story honestly, and I cracked the same joke with my solicitor a couple of months ago.

But the point I wanted to make is that not only are you given the right to remain in situ., rather that it is an obligation. A very 2 edged sword. Most of us want to remain here sure, but want freedom of international movement notionally at least.

Although I'm sure there must be some error in the interpretation of the rule here. And as mentioned he was a whimsical chap- the guy who served me. If my solicitor bursts out in howls of laughter I'll let you know.

Couldnt a person just file a court case, stay a year or two. Drop the case, travel for a bit. Then come back and file another case? Just keep repeating this, seems like a person could stay here forever.

Couldnt a person just file a court case, stay a year or two. Drop the case, travel for a bit. Then come back and file another case? Just keep repeating this, seems like a person could stay here forever.

No, reckon not. Mine is a genuine situation involving a complex court case where I am seeking a court order. I'd never advise contriving a situation in order to gain a visa. 2 teachers were jailed last year for just such a situation. I know you weren't being serious and were just musing, but it's something best stated so nobody does anything foolish.