Isaan Funeral

Guemlum

I agree with some of the comments of others about the seemingly vulgar spending and drinking ect at Issan funerals, I've been unlucky to have 2 funerals in my immediate vicinity in about 2 weeks so, that was 2 sleepless weeks. I've been to quieter rock concerts.

BUT - I would add as distasteful as it appears to ferangs, to these people it is their tradition, and the way they give their loved ones a good send off, and they would possibly be shocked at the subdued way we say goodbye.

The whole money issue really boils down to what people think is important. Thai priorities are just different to ferangs. Accept it. It'll never change.

Nice OP and a lot of good information in the following replies too.

I really would love to, when my time comes, to have a full Thai funeral with gambling, drinking, laughter and a lot of food.

Let's not forget that for the one in the coffin this is not a time for sadness, but for joy. From here on everything is supposed to get better for him/her following the Buddhist thinkings.

Let's not forget that for the one in the coffin this is not a time for sadness, but for joy. From here on everything is supposed to get better for him/her following the Buddhist thinkings.

The person in the coffin is dead. Dead is dead! They no longer have any feelings -either of joy or sadness!

But what joy can there be when the funeral is of a child killed in an accident or a young mother catching a rare disease (ie legionaires disease). To mourn their deaths is surely far more appropriate under the circumstances. By all means celebrate the life of someone, who departs in their 80's/90's and has had a full life.

I normally stays in Isaan for one month every year.

Every time my father in law are invited to one or two funerals. With the invitattion there is an envolope. My father in law puts some money in the envolope and returns it to the family when he arrives at the funeral.

There is always involved eating, drinking, gambling. Gambling seems to be allowed by the police at funeral.

I have never understood people, who think this behavior should be disrespectfull.

If you want to give respect to someone, do it while they are living - not when they are dead!

Edited by kalasin

I've been to a few funerals in Isaan and one in Bangkok.

NE Isaan funerals. Surin province. - Heavy Drinking. Gambling. Cards being played on top of the coffin (supposed to be lucky). Lots of food. Usually last about three days. The entire village gets drunk, much like an Irish wake.

Bangkok. Very reserved cermony. No drinking. Buddhist cermony.

I think I prefer the Isaan funeral.

I've been to a few funerals in Isaan and one in Bangkok.

NE Isaan funerals. Surin province. - Heavy Drinking. Gambling. Cards being played on top of the coffin (supposed to be lucky). Lots of food. Usually last about three days. The entire village gets drunk, much like an Irish wake.

Bangkok. Very reserved cermony. No drinking. Buddhist cermony.

I think I prefer the Isaan funeral.

So do I,especially when its not mine :o:D:D