Air Conditioning, Indoor Plants & Tropical Fish

SwaziBird

Perhaps someone can advise, please.

We are planning to have a reasonably sized ( 2metres long x 30 cm broad x 40 cm deep ) pond of tropical fish indoors, together with some water and other potted plants - but all of this will be in an airconditioned room over the summer months.

Temperature will probably be set for about 22 degrees celsius.

Any advice please on whether there are likely to be any problems ?

Thank you, and

Cheers

By tropical fish I meant "guppys" and gold-fish and the like. Nothing too exotic like Piranha !!!

Edited by SwaziBird

Probably the most important thing will be to keep the water well aerated and the temperature constant - have the aircon pointing away from the pond and the pond away from windows with intense sunlight. Having had fish years ago, it was the temp fluctuations that seemed to do them in. 22 degrees may also be a tad cool for tropical fish although fishy people may be able to advise better :o

We are planning to have a reasonably sized ( 2metres long x 30 cm broad x 40 cm deep ) pond of tropical fish indoors, together with some water and other potted plants - but all of this will be in an airconditioned room over the summer months.

you like to wear a fur coat and mittens indoors? any eskimo ancestors?

I keep my aircons at 22 as well, I don't mind the heat out doors, I will spend all day outside, but i want it nice and cold when I sleep.

the same goes for me and my bedroom but not for the rest of the house where we keep an average temperature of 26ºC. but then, we have been living in tropical countries for decades and might have gotten used to higher indoor temps.

Thank you, and

Cheers

By tropical fish I meant "guppys" and gold-fish and the like. Nothing too exotic like Piranha !!!

I had a tank a bit bigger in a smallish room that was the third bedroom of my house in Thailand and I used as my office so I was in there a lot with the aircon at around 22 degrees and never had any problems. The fish lived a normal length of time for fish.

I have a tropical fishtank in the UK and the temperature is maintained by heater at 23-24 degrees although I see it drop sometimes to 20-21 and it doesn't seem to bother the fish

I'm not an expert, so don't take this as advice, I'm simply relaying what my experience. If all your fish die don't blame me!

Myself never have the air con switched on, but hot air rises, the cold air always stays at the bottom..

Buy a good air pump on the filter/air pumps there is a ‘IN’ I would connect a pipe to this a run it to the top of the room or better still make a hole and run the pipe outside = you will always have constant warm air going into the pond/tank….

Air is very important……. Outside in my pond I have big self made waterfall, 2x fountains + a 12 way air pump to 12 air stones. 2 big self made water filters. Never had any problems or any fish die in 4 years..

Try to find in your area the wholesale Fish and Supply Market, the place where all the shops/traders go to buy = they have the best + have what many shops do not stock + are at least 30 – 50% cheaper. [for me this is a 200km round trip to drive but will worth it, as I also buy fish food by the sack at a fraction of the shop prices. [have around 350 fish in total]

I've actually compromised at 22 degrees celsius ! My wife ( lovely lady that she is ) would have the temperature closer to 18 degrees celsius !

She actually IS an Eskimo - well that's what her parents told me after we greeted by nose rubbing and sharing seal-blubber tea in this rather quaint little ice-block house with a tunnel-entrance.

Here in Chiang Mai, she spends most of her time in the refrigerator ! But, she's happy and who'd want to change that when we're having our Golden wedding anniversary next month. Got a whole flotilla of family canoeing down for the event.

I've actually compromised at 22 degrees celsius ! My wife ( lovely lady that she is ) would have the temperature closer to 18 degrees celsius !

She actually IS an Eskimo - well that's what her parents told me after we greeted by nose rubbing and sharing seal-blubber tea in this rather quaint little ice-block house with a tunnel-entrance.

Here in Chiang Mai, she spends most of her time in the refrigerator ! But, she's happy and who'd want to change that when we're having our Golden wedding anniversary next month. Got a whole flotilla of family canoeing down for the event.

should be a very difficult canoe, as I hear its frozen solid up Alaska way this time of year

should be a very difficult canoe, as I hear its frozen solid up Alaska way this time of year

I guess it will take them a little longer than they thought ! Slip-sliding away !

Probably the most important thing will be to keep the water well aerated and the temperature constant - have the aircon pointing away from the pond and the pond away from windows with intense sunlight. Having had fish years ago, it was the temp fluctuations that seemed to do them in. 22 degrees may also be a tad cool for tropical fish although fishy people may be able to advise better :o

With it set so low have you considered your carbon footprint due to the excessive energy requirement ? however back to topic and I would recommend stocking your pond with the likes of European carp or Roach or alternatively if you wish for more unusual marine aquatics try North Sea Cod or Haddock all of which would tolerate the cold better.

Additonally, when there time is up, or your pond becomes unsustainable due to an energy crisis, you could always cook them up as a fish and Chip supper.

Edited by esprit

Probably the most important thing will be to keep the water well aerated and the temperature constant - have the aircon pointing away from the pond and the pond away from windows with intense sunlight. Having had fish years ago, it was the temp fluctuations that seemed to do them in. 22 degrees may also be a tad cool for tropical fish although fishy people may be able to advise better :D

With it set so low have you considered your carbon footprint due to the excessive energy requirement ?

Have you considered how to use the 'quote' function? The op is Swazibird :o

With it set so low have you considered your carbon footprint due to the excessive energy requirement ? however back to topic and I would recommend stocking your pond with the likes of European carp or Roach or alternatively if you wish for more unusual marine aquatics try North Sea Cod or Haddock all of which would tolerate the cold better.

Additonally, when there time is up, or your pond becomes unsustainable due to an energy crisis, you could always cook them up as a fish and Chip supper.

Smack my lips for fish & chips !

Cheers

Smack my lips for fish & chips !

Cheers

Just want to say "thanks" to everyone for all their help !

Will take the advice into account.

Cheers.