Going For 5 Year Driver's Licence - Any New Twists?

Ramon88

Going to go to do the changeover from 1 year to 5 year - I hope . . .

I am curious if there are any changes from a year ago. I have read the majority of the many page thread in the motor section, but I am curious if there are any local issues that have come up for Phuket?

I am now on a retirement visa - to the best of knowledge I need to take:

paper from immigration about where I live

photos of passport pages: face, visa, extensions

licence - of course

Anything else?

And - still wait until the day after it expires?

No need for a medical?

Thanks!

Don't think you need any paper from immigration if you already have a Thai driving licence. All you need is original licence, original passport (for checking), copy of passport, 2 photos for each licence (if you want both car & bike). That's all.. easy enough.

Did you know that if you have a current overseas licence that you can buy an international licence here in Phuket. I got mine a couple of years ago cost about 6000 baht and is good for 20 years !!! I have been stopped quite a few times and the it has been perfectly acceptable on every occassion. There is an office very close to the back of Big C, - if anyone need directions contact me. Cheers

Edited by LeungKen

Did you know that if you have a current overseas licence that you can buy an international licence here in Phuket. I got mine a couple of years ago cost about 6000 baht and is good for 20 years !!! I have been stopped quite a few times and the it has been perfectly acceptable on every occassion. There is an office very close to the back of Big C, - if anyone need directions contact me. Cheers

Bought the same in BKK some years ago, even had a big accident and police/insurance checked this dl., no problem.

But it is illegal for sure.

Having now my Thai dl for cars and bikes since more than 5 years, it feels better believe me.

Gerd

Went down to the licencing place yesterday and they were kind enough to give me a piece of paper that lists the requirements for getting/renewing a five-year driver's licence - here they are - take these things with you when you go:

1. Passport with current Non-Immigrant Visa - (bring the passport and a photocopy of the Non-Imm visa)

2. Original Thai Driver's Licence

3. Two one-inch photos (2.5cm)

4. Workpermit and photocopy of it OR immigration paper specifying your residential address (so, yes, people on retirement need the form as they don't have a work permit)

5. Health Certificate (they call it a doctor report) - can not be more than one month old.

That's it - the lady I talked to was friendly and cooperative.

Hope that helps anyone else in the process.

I think ?? that's the requirement(s) for a brand new licence application. I think ?? items 4 & 5 are NOT required for a licence extension/renewal. At least that's been my experience when renewing my licence. But TIT and we all know that the rules/requirements change from year to year. .... :o

An absolute fake and invalid.

For Phuket people - since this is the Phuket forum . . .

Got the 5 year no problem - all five items on the list above were required.

One note: Photos are required to be six months or less - so the lady noticed that the photo I was giving here was the same as on my original license and required that I go get a new one. No problem there is a little shop out in the parking lot - B70 and five minutes and it was done.

The whole process from parking the car to driving out - maybe 45 minutes. Easy peasy.

One note: Photos are required to be six months or less - so the lady noticed that the photo I was giving here was the same as on my original license and required that I go get a new one. No problem there is a little shop out in the parking lot - B70 and five minutes and it was done.

And guess who has a financial interest in the shop. :o

Same same with Pattaya Immigration when it was in Soi 8. They would only accept a black and white photograph and the only place in town to get one was right outside. Now they are in the new Jomtien complex, black and white photographs are no longer acceptable since there is a little shop outside equipped with contemporary equipment.

Holding a 5 year licence may give a small measure of protection against the avaricious depredations of BIB when stopped for some imaginary offence. They are less likely to tangle with a farang who maybe know too mut.

Holding a 5 year licence may give a small measure of protection against the avaricious depredations of BIB when stopped for some imaginary offence. They are less likely to tangle with a farang who maybe know too mut.

Exactly!

I am using my dl to checking in for domestic flights, for getting in to areas where you have to show your id and many other places.

I have the feeling when a foreigner shows a Thai dl it's like a bit of gaining face.

Gerd

Another plus is that you gain entry to national parks etc at the Thai price just by presenting your Thai driving licence. That quite a saving at some placeas as the Farang price can be as much as 10 times the Thai price.

A Thai driving licence is considered almost as good as a Thai ID card, so you don't need to carry your passport.

I do notice that the BIB attitude does get more respectful when you show a Thai licence.

Another plus is that you gain entry to national parks etc at the Thai price just by presenting your Thai driving licence. That quite a saving at some placeas as the Farang price can be as much as 10 times the Thai price.

A Thai driving licence is considered almost as good as a Thai ID card, so you don't need to carry your passport.

I do notice that the BIB attitude does get more respectful when you show a Thai licence.

Agree with you!!!

Gerd

Went in yesterday for my first one year license and it took 2 hours 40 minutes. Got there at 8 a.m.

Although I have an International License I was obliged to do the series of tests for reaction time and colour blindness.

I was told everyone had to do them ( even the guy in front of me who was applying for a motorbike license had to do the car pedal test) Anyway got my license :o

A few tips I can pass on for Phuket.

1. Get there early - the place was packed by 08:30 am

2. Have all photocopies ready otherwise you have to leave the queue and then join at the end again.

3. Get the photos done in the carpark. Right size, takes 5 minutes and costs 70 Baht

4. Make sure the Medical cert and immigration paper specifying your residential address are VERY recent.

My address paper was refused because it was one month old - luckily I had my WP with me as a substitute.

5. After the tests upstairs go downstairs to take a number.

6. Take a book to read - it is a long wait.

7. Take lotsa change for 1 Baht photocopies. License cost 105 Baht plus 10 Baht for lamination.

• 2 weeks later...
Went in yesterday for my first one year license and it took 2 hours 40 minutes. Got there at 8 a.m.

Although I have an International License I was obliged to do the series of tests for reaction time and colour blindness.

I was told everyone had to do them ( even the guy in front of me who was applying for a motorbike license had to do the car pedal test) Anyway got my license :D

A few tips I can pass on for Phuket.

1. Get there early - the place was packed by 08:30 am

2. Have all photocopies ready otherwise you have to leave the queue and then join at the end again.

3. Get the photos done in the carpark. Right size, takes 5 minutes and costs 70 Baht

4. Make sure the Medical cert and immigration paper specifying your residential address are VERY recent.

My address paper was refused because it was one month old - luckily I had my WP with me as a substitute.

5. After the tests upstairs go downstairs to take a number.

6. Take a book to read - it is a long wait.

7. Take lotsa change for 1 Baht photocopies. License cost 105 Baht plus 10 Baht for lamination.

Hi all....could you please let me know what is needed for your 1st ever Thai licence. :o I will go for it next trip in a few weeks in Phuket. I live part time in Chalong. What do I have to pass....theory/practical...tests?? And how difficult are these. :D ..do I need good Thai?? :D

Thanks in advance for any info and help!!.