Criminal Record Check

I have read many posts which mention criminal record checks for those thinking of working in Thailand. Are these checks done for every type of visa, or only for teachers? Under which circumstances will the authorities seek information into a person's background? What kind of crimes will preclude someone from being able to work/ live in Thailand? Just trying to find out some info for a friend who is thinking about relocating? thank you

I have read many posts which mention criminal record checks for those thinking of working in Thailand. Are these checks done for every type of visa, or only for teachers? Under which circumstances will the authorities seek information into a person's background? What kind of crimes will preclude someone from being able to work/ live in Thailand? Just trying to find out some info for a friend who is thinking about relocating? thank you

Below link from the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Chicago might help clarify a little.

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/non-imm.html

From what I've read on the Thai Embassy website in NZ, is that they require a Criminal Record check if you're seeking residency, citizenship or are thinking of becoming a teacher.

Good luck to your friend~