The Yamaha Yzf-r15 150cc Roadbike

Richard-BKK

I hear more and more about Yamaha developing a 150cc YZF series motorcycle, which would challenge the market possition of the Honda CBR-150?

To rumors, found on the Internet, would this bike be the Yamaha YZF-R15 and capable of (almost impossible) 22hp.

Does anybody knows anything more?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the new Yamaha would be a 4 stroke, but I beleive the YZF's you see around Thailand are two strokes. My friend has one, it is ancient but it works pretty good. Actually maybe his is a YZR?

If the price was right for a new version. it would find its way to my shopping list.

I was once told that the Yamaha RZ350LC had no power below about 9,000 rpm, but was quite a powerful monster above that range. To get that kind of power, don't two-strokes have to be tuned kind of crazy?

Not really - all 2 strokes make their power at high RPM's, that's what makes them great fun to ride.

KTM in particular are putting a lot of R&D into cleaning up the emissions of the 2 strokes and I predict that the 2 stroke will make a bit of a comeback from 2009-2010 onwards, particularly in motorsports where they cannot be touched when raced against a 4 stroke of equal displacement.

Theres me thinking 2 strokes were on the way out, for touring 2 strokes can't match 4 stroke.

I think this new beast on the horizon will be a CBR rival. It's about time it had some real competition.

Interesting development if it goes ahead :o

The First pictures of the New Yamaha FZF-R15 150cc 4-stroke sportbike, here compared to his big brother the Yamaha YZF-R1 look pretty similar.

With 150cc 4-valve engine, forged pistons and Diasil Cylinder liquid-cooled and separate oil-cooler, equipped with the latest on Electronic computerized Fuel Injected it is capable of producing plus 20 horsepower (Yamaha itself says 20 to 22 hp)

post-12170-1200023550_thumb.jpg

The main difference between the Yamaha YZF-R15 and the Honda CBR-150R is that the Yamaha is a designed 150cc engine. The engines of the Honda CBR-150 and the new Yamaha are not comparable, Yamaha is using for everything the latest technology and alloys and materials (no plastic but carbon fiber etc).

It is just not fair to compare the Yamaha engine to the Honda CBR-150 engine the Honda engine is almost 8 years old.

RichardBKK, of course you're right about new and old engines. But then Rover and Morgan did fine with the all aluminum Buick Skylark engine of 1961 until about 2005, and the Chevy small block lasted from 1955 until....next year, maybe? The Suzuki GS500E probably still uses a 1977 design; then there are examples from Ducati and BMW, truly ancient designs. If the new Yamaha is that hi tech, will they keep the price under 100,000 baht?

I reckon they could, but only just. Cause if carbon fibre's coming into play then it will be dearer.

The picture looks good, I like the raised windscreen, that makes touring a lot nicer.

Some dudes say a sportsbike is no good as a sports tourer but in Asia I think they rock! :o

At this moment it is hard to find information about the new Yamaha, but his 125cc brother (YZF-125) has already a higher seat then the Honda CBR-150.

Yamaha YZF-R125 = 818 mm

Honda CBR-150R = 776 mm

The wheel base of the two

Yamaha YZF-R125 = 1,355 mm

Honda CBR-150 = 1,286 mm

And again this a the size specs of the 125cc Yamaha, it is expected that the 150cc is same or similar in size

At this moment it is hard to find information about the new Yamaha, but his 125cc brother (YZF-125) has already a higher seat then the Honda CBR-150.

Yamaha YZF-R125 = 818 mm

Honda CBR-150R = 776 mm

The wheel base of the two

Yamaha YZF-R125 = 1,355 mm

Honda CBR-150 = 1,286 mm

And again this a the size specs of the 125cc Yamaha, it is expected that the 150cc is same or similar in size

That sounds good already, however I doubt that the 150cc will be much bigger in size.

Just too curious when it will hit the market!

If your trouser inseam is 33 or 35 inches long, couldn't you cheaply have a new cushion installed on the CBR to raise the seat height? My inseam is 30 inches and I find it easy to mount the CBR from either side (and my Thai partner can barely put his feet to the ground!). Crowboy is about 6 feet 2, and he enjoys his CBR.

RichardBKK, of course you're right about new and old engines. But then Rover and Morgan did fine with the all aluminum Buick Skylark engine of 1961 until about 2005, and the Chevy small block lasted from 1955 until....next year, maybe? The Suzuki GS500E probably still uses a 1977 design; then there are examples from Ducati and BMW, truly ancient designs. If the new Yamaha is that hi tech, will they keep the price under 100,000 baht?

Hi :o

And Yamaha builds the RXZ with UNCHANGED ENGINE since the what - mid-80's? I've got one, year '94, and the 2008 model has started to appear in shops in Malaysia :D Same old 135cc two-stroke, just since 2007 they fit a catalytic converter to it.

Who says that all two-strokes generate power only in the upper band? Mate, try riding a Zuendapp KS 175 "Buffalo" or any two-stroke MZ. They pull a Harley out of the mud if need be :D Power like steam engines - tons of torque, not much rpm's (the Zuendapp maxes out at 8.000 rpm). Top speed 140, it's a heavy bike too.

Mine RXZ has good torque from below, a nasty "black hole" at 5.000 and rocket-like extra push above 6.000. All stock i'll tell you, nothing tuned (i have to get by the carb sometime soon, that black hole is getting worse).

I do believe that any new Yamaha that is not expressly a racing-type bike will be a four-stroke. Which is why i'll stick to mine old RXZ - i love two-strokes :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Most important to me would be the dimensions of the bike. I personally like the CBR150R but it is a bit to small. If the Yamaha is more full size, I certainly would make the switch!

It is a bit small but the key advantage is that the CBR 150 is as narrow (some say narrower) than a Honda wave or dream and zipping through the gaps in traffic is a piece of p i ss.

This Yamaha YZF needs to be as narrow as the CBR to challenge it.

Width is key for this battle of the bikes as much as length and height is.:o

• 4 weeks later...
Wait for the naked version due at the end of the year . . .

post-56770-1202828953_thumb.jpg

Ummh, that so kicks the carp out of the fully faired one. Starting from the front though, I do have concerns. It appears the naked version has less of a rake. An apparent shorter wheelbase may balance this out, but could it adversely affect turning radius? Wheels could be a bit different, right now they look like they come off a CBR 150R-the fully faired version's wheels really look nice. The fact they were able to make the bike remind me of a Speed Triple (short and high...just looks like a Mike Tyson!) is probably accomplished by that huge tank....can we say an airbox the size of my living room? Hope that really improves the low end. Nice comfy seats and a really short reach to the handlebars should make for a MUCH more pleasent ride the fully faired model. However, being naked and more upright, wind buffeting may be a factor.

I not want to disappoint anybody but the red bike is a Yamaha FZ150. The main difference between the R15 and the FZ150 is the R15's engine is liquid cooling, while the FZ150 engine is air-cooled.

Both deliver around 20 to 22 horsepower ....

I see quite a few CBR150s on the streets of Bangkok, so I would say they are selling well, and Yamaha see's this and wants a cut of this. Its a little like Honda coming along with the Click/Air Blade/Icon to compete against the Nouvo/Fino/Mio.

Personally I dont like Hondas; I just see Honda churning out the same stuff year after year while Yamaha seems to keen to use new technology. Yamaha were trail blazing with their Spark 135, which has lead to several 135cc models this year (including the new Nouvo), and if it was not for Yamaha with the Nouvo and Mio, automatics would be non existent. Thus, Honda is interested in long term products with many models sharing components, at the cost of stifling progress using new technology. Well that is what I see.

The Yamaha's I have owned I have loved; the Honda's have been so-so and average... Let hope a 150cc Yamaha sports bike comes along; I would certainly be interested!

Edited by MaiChai

• 2 weeks later...