Australian Aged Pension

Just now, toughlove said:
3 minutes ago, halloween said:
Why? A second account in Oz would have any interest paid reported to ATO and would show up on CL data. As I am not having my OAP paid offshore, what would the benefit be of a second account?
BTW if you sold your condo, your address would change. Do you think there would be no interest in possible rental income, or are you prepared to start a web of deceit for little gain?

Taking about thailand

And I asked, what is the benefit of a second a/c in Thailand? It is in my interest to maintain Oz residence as long as possible, so my pension will be paid to an Oz a/c and transferred as required.

A lot of the issues here are of more concern to the ATO rather than Centrelink.

Like others have said, if you pretty much do the right thing, you won't have a problem.

It's not as if Centrelink officers are just waiting for someone on the OAP to make a 

purchase on their credit card and then follow it up.

Their investigators have got more to do than worry about pension Bill buying a carton

of booze every week.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, halloween said:

And I asked, what is the benefit of a second a/c in Thailand? It is in my interest to maintain Oz residence as long as possible, so my pension will be paid to an Oz a/c and transferred as required.

I have a second account to keep the 800,000 baht for retirement extension of stay.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have a second account to keep the 800,000 baht for retirement extension of stay.

I can maintain the required balance in a single a/c. But why aren't you using your OAP income as a pro rata offset of the B800,000?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, halloween said:

I can maintain the required balance in a single a/c. But why aren't you using your OAP income as a pro rata offset of the B800,000?

Just simpler. Prefer to avoid the yearly trip to Aussie Embassy in Bkk for the stat dec. The other account is a joint account and that would require me to keep a minimum of 1.6 mill baht there for 3 months to qualify.

Edited by giddyup

Just now, halloween said:

Makes sense. I haven't got that far yet, still waiting pension.

I believe they have upped the cost considerably for the stat dec now. I just get a letter from the bank, show that to immigration, pick up my passport the next day. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Will27 said:

A lot of the issues here are of more concern to the ATO rather than Centrelink.

Like others have said, if you pretty much do the right thing, you won't have a problem.

It's not as if Centrelink officers are just waiting for someone on the OAP to make a 

purchase on their credit card and then follow it up.

Their investigators have got more to do than worry about pension Bill buying a carton

of booze every week.

The ATO will track you down anywhere in the world, kill you and throw your corpse to Centrelink for ritual mutilation. 

• Haha 1

Just now, SplitInfinitive said:

The ATO will track you down anywhere in the world, kill you and throw your corpse to Centrelink for ritual mutilation. 

I had a letter from the ATO 6 years after I moved to Thailand saying I owed them $600 from the sale of my house in Oz.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I believe they have upped the cost considerably for the stat dec now. I just get a letter from the bank, show that to immigration, pick up my passport the next day. Easy peasy.

Yep, now it's 1740 Baht to get a stat dec witnessed.

A bit rude if you ask me.

• Like 2

Just now, Will27 said:

Yep, now it's 1740 Baht to get a stat dec witnessed.

A bit rude if you ask me.

I think some embassies charge a lot more than that, I just pay 200 baht for the letter from the bank.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SplitInfinitive said:

Yep, the ATO is the scarey one methinks.

Although, you'd be surprised how many people get stopped at the airport trying to go on

holiday who have a child support debt.

Getting back to the 2 year “home detention” qualifying rule for portability:

Would one still qualify for portability having served their 2 years living at a OZ friend’s house and still owning a locked-up Thai condo?....or would CL refuse you portability because they have no belief in your story of staying in Oz “forever more” as you:

1/clearly arrived back to Oz from Thailand exactly 2 years prior just to get portability

2/have no OZ property nor OZ assets nor OZ property lease.

3/you only have the Thai condo

5 hours ago, Gregster said:

Yes I know. But if the above is true ie Centrelink does NOT have the power to check individual’s AUSTRALIAN bank accounts, how could it possibly have the power to check individual’s OVERSEAS bank accounts?????

Easy, Australian law is different to other countries. eg. If im  in Oz, I cant give someone legal advice,not a lawyer, Im in Thailand, so i can give someone legal advice in Australia. Anther one, i had a phone conference with a Oz Govt. Dept. , I told them i was recording the conversation, I was told it was illegal to  do so, I informed them that it is not illegal in Thailand for a second party to record a phone conversation, i was in Thailand.

Edited by keithpa
add

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:
2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

As long as you were physically in Australia for 2 years I couldn't see a problem.

As long as you were physically in Australia for 2 years I couldn't see a problem.

If you have just come back from overseas

There is a possibility they may ask for proof where you live bank and accounts

I have been told from Medicare that if you have been out of the country for over 5 years

You then have to prove that you you have closed your bank accounts over seas

Who knows what Centrelink will do in the future

IMHO

2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

I have been told from Medicare that if you have been out of the country for over 5 years

IMHO

Don't think it matters if you live on the street or in a mansion.

Like sceadugenga says, as long as you're in Oz.

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

Don't think it matters if you live on the street or in a mansion.

Like sceadugenga says, as long as you're in Oz.

If you think that way  good on ya

But they are just not going to give anyone anything without checks and balances first

This is a centrelink no1st rule

Not mine

IMHO

IMHO
Yes partially true. I just came back from short trip after 3.5 years away and got a replacement Medicare card but was then told it would expire in 1.5 years (the total of 5 years) I guess the 5 years is about non residancy. Who knows

1 minute ago, toughlove said:
2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:
IMHO

Yes partially true. I just came back from short trip after 3.5 years away and got a replacement Medicare card but was then told it would expire in 1.5 years (the total of 5 years) I guess the 5 years is about non residancy. Who knows

Thanks for that good positive feed back

We need more about these things

As we dont here much these days

3 hours ago, keithpa said:

Easy, Australian law is different to other countries. eg. If im  in Oz, I cant give someone legal advice,not a lawyer, Im in Thailand, so i can give someone legal advice in Australia. Anther one, i had a phone conference with a Oz Govt. Dept. , I told them i was recording the conversation, I was told it was illegal to  do so, I informed them that it is not illegal in Thailand for a second party to record a phone conversation, i was in Thailand.

Ah ye I get it 

It's all ok for them to record for training purposes, but not for us

The check is being an Australian resident for 2 years prior.

Living in Australia fulltime satisfies that criterion.

Having a condo in Thailand has nothing to do with it.

So you know this as a actual fact

Maybe you need to check all the web links provided

Its just not that easy 2 years in Oz prior to applying for the OAP

6 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

So you know this as a actual fact

Maybe you need to check all the web links provided

Its just not that easy 2 years in Oz prior to applying for the OAP

Can you show me a case where someone has been living in Australia (fulltime) for the

whole 2 year period prior to obtaining the pension and not been granted portability?

Can you show me a case where someone has been living in Australia (fulltime) for the

whole 2 year period prior to obtaining the pension and not been granted portability?

You were talking about the 2 year rule

Which it was talked about people coming back for Overseas

I did not say anything about your above statement

People living here in OZ

Its all in the Centrelink website

All the criteria to apply for the OAP

Im not into playing word games

Just putting facts out

This my last post on this

5 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

You were talking about the 2 year rule

Which it was talked about people coming back for Overseas

I did not say anything about your above statement

People living here in OZ

Its all in the Centrelink website

All the criteria to apply for the OAP

Im not into playing word games

Just putting facts out

This my last post on this

Dont let facts confuse the issue.

11 hours ago, Gregster said:

Getting back to the 2 year “home detention” qualifying rule for portability:

Would one still qualify for portability having served their 2 years living at a OZ friend’s house and still owning a locked-up Thai condo?....or would CL refuse you portability because they have no belief in your story of staying in Oz “forever more” as you:

1/clearly arrived back to Oz from Thailand exactly 2 years prior just to get portability

2/have no OZ property nor OZ assets nor OZ property lease.

3/you only have the Thai condo

The only problem I can see is if they ask you to prove you live at that address with a lease, electricity or landline phone bill, or similar.

4 hours ago, halloween said:

The only problem I can see is if they ask you to prove you live at that address with a lease, electricity or landline phone bill, or similar.

4 hours ago, halloween said:

Honestly, I can't see this sort of thing being an issue.

Centrelink has access to immigration movements so it's pretty easy to see if someone

is residing in Oz.

When my friends brother applied for the dole, he had to provide a letter from his friend he was sharing

a house with saying he was contributing half of the rent and bills. That was pretty much it.

• Like 1