Australian Aged Pension

On 18/02/2018 at 10:26 PM, Will27 said:

But you're not getting the tax free threshold of $18 200 as a non-resident.

No getting the $18,200 threshold is of no concern at all if you purchase fully franked shares, as the dividend is paid after the tax has been taken out, and with no capital gains tax to pay, is also big win.

If I had to pay tax after the $18,200 threshold, I would be at a loss, this way, there is no tax to pay, and you earn around 6% net being conservative, currently I have reached 7.5% in the 6 months to January and if I keep going the way I have, it will be 15% net tax free for the year with no threshold, and this is investing in blue chip low risk Aussie companies with a small mix of some spec companies with good progress.

Your downside is we cannot vote, we cannot claim Medicare after so many years, still to clarify that one, 2-5 years, although some say if you return before the 5 years is up, and get your new card, it kicks over for another 5 years, and we have to return and sit it out for 2 years when we apply for our OAP.

If I don't have to pay tax for 10 years before I get the OPA, i.e. if I qualify under the assets test, I reckon the doe I would have saved in not paying tax would equal 3 years of pension payments anyways, so that would take me to 70 if I don't get the OAP, the only problem for some is you have to have the $'s and keep at the ups and downs in the stock market and know when to take profit and when to sit.

• Like 2

There is also the matter of investment properties and capital gains considerations when leaving to Thailand as a non tax resident of oz. At the time departure, a Capital gains event could work in your favour or against you longer term depending on which choice you make. 

This is another reason why the fully franked dividends can work better for self funded early retirees. No bad tenants either, but each to their own that suits their individual circumstance. 

Getting good financial advice can be tricky as not all CFP's and accountants are that great with foreign resident tax determinations. It is well worth it finding a good one though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

No getting the $18,200 threshold is of no concern at all if you purchase fully franked shares, as the dividend is paid after the tax has been taken out, and with no capital gains tax to pay, is also big win.

If I had to pay tax after the $18,200 threshold, I would be at a loss, this way, there is no tax to pay, and you earn around 6% net being conservative, currently I have reached 7.5% in the 6 months to January and if I keep going the way I have, it will be 15% net tax free for the year with no threshold, and this is investing in blue chip low risk Aussie companies with a small mix of some spec companies with good progress.

Your downside is we cannot vote, we cannot claim Medicare after so many years, still to clarify that one, 2-5 years, although some say if you return before the 5 years is up, and get your new card, it kicks over for another 5 years, and we have to return and sit it out for 2 years when we apply for our OAP.

If I don't have to pay tax for 10 years before I get the OPA, i.e. if I qualify under the assets test, I reckon the doe I would have saved in not paying tax would equal 3 years of pension payments anyways, so that would take me to 70 if I don't get the OAP, the only problem for some is you have to have the $'s and keep at the ups and downs in the stock market and know when to take profit and when to sit.

I'm not sure about being unable to vote.

From memory you have to request being taken off the electoral role.

If you don't, I'm pretty sure it's business as usual.

I'd suggest most people living overseas would prefer not to vote.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I once had child support put a stop on my tax return cheque of $4,000 with the ATO, unless I paid my outstanding child support, i.e. I had an agreement with the x that I would pay for the kids schools shoes on top of the child support for that month if she purchased her new sports shoes, bitch agreed and then went back on the agreement, was always going back on agreements, always like that, never spent any money on the kid for school uniforms from the child support payments, suffice to say I would have to buy them and claim back through "necessary items" which has since been abolished, and was a lot of work and stress for me, as they would decline it every time, but I would win on appeal, obviously too much work for the C...ts

Yep, it's done automatically by the ATO at the request of the CSA.

They normally take the O/S amount and send you the balance, assuming there is any.

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

I'm not sure about being unable to vote.

From memory you have to request being taken off the electoral role.

If you don't, I'm pretty sure it's business as usual.

I'd suggest most people living overseas would prefer not to vote.

I do and I remember when I moved here in November 2015 we had some election coming up just after that, not sure what election it was and I emailed them requesting voting papers, they sent them to me, I voted, then I got a letter later saying that I was taken off the electoral role.

I take it the reason being is that as an xpat, myself with about a million other xpats could do a lot of damage.

Having just Googled it, looks like I was duped, i.e. the letter they sent me said they wrote to me at an Australian address, copy of the letter was attached, and advised that because I didn't advise them that I moved overseas, they took my name off the role, I could appeal, but the appeal date was done and dusted by the time I received the letter.

Might look into this as the link says something about reapplying within 3 years as I quickly read it, so the way I see it, the letter virtually screwed me, i.e. I cannot vote, I mean they could have said, do you still want to vote, do you want this as your new address, a$$holes.

http://www.austexpatinvestor.com/voting-in-australian-elections-while-living-overseas/ 

8 hours ago, Will27 said:

Yep, it's done automatically by the ATO at the request of the CSA.

They normally take the O/S amount and send you the balance, assuming there is any.

Wow, now they deduct the money, back then, it was pay the months outstanding child support and we will notify the ATO to provide you with your cheque.

The whole system is so so so wrong, but hey my daughter is an adult now, I paid my dues, and my x can go and f herself 555

• Haha 1

While living in LOS, an election was held while I was in Oz. I drove mum to the polling station and asked how I go about voting. Much confusion and butt-scratching all round, with a total lack of answers. First question was, what electorate should I vote in? If you are an overseas resident, how do you claim electorate residence?

Since returning and establishing residence, I have re-enrolled, and this will be part of my claim I am resident even while absent most of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

IMO, the CSA would be the hardest government agency to work in.

Just about every decision made, either upsets mum or dad, and you're in a pretty much no win scenario.

You can just imagine dad trotting off to Bali with his girlfriend only to be stopped from leaving at the airport:tongue:

Yep, however the blame the dads for not paying is wrong, because a lot of mums use the kids as pawns.

I had a court orders that we have the kid on a shared care basis and that incomes would be adjusted to reflect shared care, i.e. if I made 100k and she made 60k they would then deduct the threshold of about 20k on each and then calculate what each had to pay the other.

In the 16 odd years after our split, I received sweet FA, because she could show that she earned less than the threshold, drove a new car and acquired 250k in NAB shares, do you think they ever wanted to hear about it, like I said the system is wrong, all they care about is getting the money off good old dad, because he is perceived as the C..t, they don't look at how much it also costs dad to look after the kid when in his care, but no point in crying over split milk, had an agreement two years prior to retiring to Thailand, i.e. leave me alone and I will pay half for the kids uni fees, she agreed, only to have me assessed again, I had to pay another $9,000, cool I said, paid it in full, and told her her maths has finally caught up with her, because while she got them to extract another $9,000 out of me, and she paid me nothing for all of those 16 years, she can pay the uni fees....lol

No, the kid will not suffer, the family is rich and she is the only grandchild, and like I keep telling her, calling a spade a spade, all you have to do kid is wait, because its all coming to yah.

The kid has no problem with me not paying half uni fees, she knows how vindictive her mother was towards me, and her mother is paying the uni fees, she can't touch me as the kid is an adult now, and we have a great relationship, no poising from my end, just stating the facts, no lies, and as far as child support goes, they are all inexperienced typical government employees who have no idea and don't give a rats, moving forward 555 

Article from AU Newspapers today:

————————

PENSION RISK IN SELLING UP

A NEW incentive to tempt older people to downsize their home could cost them their age pension.

The superannuation tax break, promoted by the federal government as helping housing affordability by putting more family homes on the market, risks leaving many retirees worse off financially.

From July, over 65s can pump up to $300,000 of the proceeds of selling their home into super without affecting other contribution limits.

But these proceeds get counted in the pension assets test – whereas the family home is exempt – and could dramatically reduce pension payments for many retirees.

A single pensioner homeowner with assets (excluding their home) of less than $253,750 currently receives the full $894 pension a fortnight. But pension payments would gradually decrease as the value of assets increases and would be cut off if assets hit $552,000.

Financial strategist Theo Marinis said the super downsizing rules were “like a lot of changes ... they sound good in principle but when you look at the devil in the detail in practice, it’s not as good”.

Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows that almost 80 per cent of retirees receive a full or part age pension.

National Seniors chief advocate Ian Henschke said pensioners looking to downsize should seek professional advice, or at least speak with a Centrelink financial information officer. “A full pensioner or part pensioner, depending on their circumstance, could have their age pension reduced or cut completely,” Mr Henschke said.

National Seniors is calling for up to $250,000 of downsizing proceeds to be exempt from means testing.
——————

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I put the intial post titled:

What do Thai Wives (& their husbands) think of losing their Australian Husbands for 2 years because of a new Centrelink law requirement being for him to live 2 years in Australia to collect his aged pension entitlement from the Australain government

And then followed up with in the "Home Country" Australia column withis post:

I have been thinking about this thing of doing 2 more years serval penitude in Australia & as one 61 year old here said “It’s not the country he knows anymore”, and I agree. As I said, I was back there in 2016 (the year I turned 61) and absolutely hated it. Australia is now a dangerous place full of angry young people. Full of kids breaking the road rules and driving crazy & especially riding bigger bikes in a very angry, aggressive way with full blown noise. Guys throwing “Coward Punches”. No I didn’t tell them when I left, like a little child having to report to school, no I couldn’t wait to get out of the place & get back here to paradise, and yes, as someone else was saying that “The Australian government need to hold their heads in shame when Australians need to live overseas because they can’t afford to live in Australia anymore ”because Australia & Australian citizenship was only granted in 1949 from mother England in exchange for Australia agreeing to look after its people by setting up the Commonwealth Employment Service & Social Security Service. Yes, they used to find one a job, years ago, & one would only spend maybe a couple of weeks in a lifetime getting bailed out by them with a cheque that you could cash anywhere if needed. You were found a job soon and had to take it, or, rightfully their cheques were stopped. This thing of pushing people around into 2 years servitude should really cost the coalition the next election because I think they are verging on reneging of their commonwealth agreement to look after us, its people. I reckon there was too little notice in raising the pension age from 65 to 67. Here, Thais retire at 60 on 500THB per month. Are they heading towards treating their own people the same as the Thais, because yes, while I’m away 2 years, 500THB per months is all she’ll be getting, unless I smuggle money back to her. This is an absolute disgrace Australia. You have to do better than that while you lot are all snorting at the trough. 

So all I have to say here is: The main issue with most of us (well there is no record of my initial entry into Australia because I snuk in, of Irish parents, from England in the mid 70s, but I more than paid back for that by working my guts out for Australia in a trade (Carpets) that most Aussies didn't want to do. I even had to go on a disability pension for a while as I worked so hard for Australia that I totally stuffed my back) I later came to Thailand & met my Thai partner in 2010 so there's a good 35 years there of working 6 days a week as a constantly-in-demand flooring installer tradesman in the construction & soft furnishings industry doing domestic dwellings & commercial projects such as Gold Coast high etc, so yes, I've been here in Thailand since meeting my partner & always thought I'd retire on an Australian OAP living with my partner here at age 65. Losing a year & a half's money was bad enough but now, through having to wait until 66 & half was bad enough, but a 2 years of stay in Oz stint really stinks. Can't these B's just leave us alone while their protecting their rich mates?

Edited by Groove
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Groove said:

I put the intial post titled:

What do Thai Wives (& their husbands) think of losing their Australian Husbands for 2 years because of a new Centrelink law requirement being for him to live 2 years in Australia to collect his aged pension entitlement from the Australain government

And then followed up with in the "Home Country" Australia column withis post:

I have been thinking about this thing of doing 2 more years serval penitude in Australia & as one 61 year old here said “It’s not the country he knows anymore”, and I agree. As I said, I was back there in 2016 (the year I turned 61) and absolutely hated it. Australia is now a dangerous place full of angry young people. Full of kids breaking the road rules and driving crazy & especially riding bigger bikes in a very angry, aggressive way with full blown noise. Guys throwing “Coward Punches”. No I didn’t tell them when I left, like a little child having to report to school, no I couldn’t wait to get out of the place & get back here to paradise, and yes, as someone else was saying that “The Australian government need to hold their heads in shame when Australians need to live overseas because they can’t afford to live in Australia anymore ”because Australia & Australian citizenship was only granted in 1949 from mother England in exchange for Australia agreeing to look after its people by setting up the Commonwealth Employment Service & Social Security Service. Yes, they used to find one a job, years ago, & one would only spend maybe a couple of weeks in a lifetime getting bailed out by them with a cheque that you could cash anywhere if needed. You were found a job soon and had to take it, or, rightfully their cheques were stopped. This thing of pushing people around into 2 years servitude should really cost the coalition the next election because I think they are verging on reneging of their commonwealth agreement to look after us, its people. I reckon there was too little notice in raising the pension age from 65 to 67. Here, Thais retire at 60 on 500THB per month. Are they heading towards treating their own people the same as the Thais, because yes, while I’m away 2 years, 500THB per months is all she’ll be getting, unless I smuggle money back to her. This is an absolute disgrace Australia. You have to do better than that while you lot are all snorting at the trough. 

So all I have to say here is: The main issue with most of us (well there is no record of my initial entry into Australia because I snuk in, of Irish parents, from England in the mid 70s, but I more than paid back for that by working my guts out for Australia in a trade (Carpets) that most Aussies didn't want to do. I even had to go on a disability pension for a while as I worked so hard for Australia that I totally stuffed my back) I later came to Thailand & met my Thai partner in 2010 so there's a good 35 years there of working 6 days a week as a constantly-in-demand flooring installer tradesman in the construction & soft furnishings industry doing domestic dwellings & commercial projects such as Gold Coast high etc, so yes, I've been here in Thailand since meeting my partner & always thought I'd retire on an Australian OAP living with my partner here at age 65. Losing a year & a half's money was bad enough but now, through having to wait until 66 & half was bad enough, but a 2 years of stay in Oz stint really stinks. Can't these B's just leave us alone while their protecting their rich mates?

Thais getting the 600 baht p.m. money have not been in official employment, paying taxes etc, thereby do not qualify for a 'proper' pension.

Border Control will have your Movement Record which you obtain via online application to prove your residency period. Age Pension is for those who for whatever reason have reached retirement age and unable to fund their retirement. The provision by government to keep assets such as cash and home are reasonable. Accordingly, did you bother to save for your retirement via Superannuation or any other mechanism?

I agree it's annoying to be obliged to return to Oz to apply for Age Pension and wait for portability, but the policy has been in place for a long time so totally your ownership for not previously researching Age Pension criteria. Complaining via TV isn't going to change current policy by one iota.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2008 at 8:04 AM, Nignoy said:

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News, my wife and I are both australian old age pensioners, we were leaving australia on the 21st of september last year on a 6 month tour of asia and europe, we were informed by immigration at Brisbane if we stayed out of australia for more than 13 weeks we would both lose our age pension and have to wait a further 3 months before being eligable to apply again,so we cut short our trip and returned after 12 weeks,when we returned on the 3rd of december we contacted a solicitor to check up on this new regulation, uptil now all we are getting is conflicting informationas soon as we hear something definite in writing we will post it here Nignoy

Question, how long did you reside and pay taxes in Australia ? 

The Australian aged pension (OAP) varies depending on the years you resided and paid taxes here, as I recall it's around 35 years and more.  Less than that and your OAP is adjusted lower, that's what you need to look for on the Centerlink website. 

In my own case (now 65 and on OAP plus TPI Veteran pension) when I relocate to Thailand I only lose the "Energy supplement"  and a couple of lesser supplements that total just over $160 a fortnight.  

Apart from Army deployments overseas and holidays  (no effect on pension) I've always lived in Australia (born here), according to DVA (govt department who manage veterans pension among other things) if I relocate to Thailand I should still pull just under 100,000 tb monthly with no tax. 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Wow, now they deduct the money, back then, it was pay the months outstanding child support and we will notify the ATO to provide you with your cheque.

The whole system is so so so wrong, but hey my daughter is an adult now, I paid my dues, and my x can go and f herself 555

Same same this one. 

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Yep, however the blame the dads for not paying is wrong, because a lot of mums use the kids as pawns.

I had a court orders that we have the kid on a shared care basis and that incomes would be adjusted to reflect shared care, i.e. if I made 100k and she made 60k they would then deduct the threshold of about 20k on each and then calculate what each had to pay the other.

In the 16 odd years after our split, I received sweet FA, because she could show that she earned less than the threshold, drove a new car and acquired 250k in NAB shares, do you think they ever wanted to hear about it, like I said the system is wrong, all they care about is getting the money off good old dad, because he is perceived as the C..t, they don't look at how much it also costs dad to look after the kid when in his care, but no point in crying over split milk, had an agreement two years prior to retiring to Thailand, i.e. leave me alone and I will pay half for the kids uni fees, she agreed, only to have me assessed again, I had to pay another $9,000, cool I said, paid it in full, and told her her maths has finally caught up with her, because while she got them to extract another $9,000 out of me, and she paid me nothing for all of those 16 years, she can pay the uni fees....lol

No, the kid will not suffer, the family is rich and she is the only grandchild, and like I keep telling her, calling a spade a spade, all you have to do kid is wait, because its all coming to yah.

The kid has no problem with me not paying half uni fees, she knows how vindictive her mother was towards me, and her mother is paying the uni fees, she can't touch me as the kid is an adult now, and we have a great relationship, no poising from my end, just stating the facts, no lies, and as far as child support goes, they are all inexperienced typical government employees who have no idea and don't give a rats, moving forward 555 

You can thank the ALP governments Judge Lionel Murphy for the Australian Family Law Act that effectively divested our Federal government of it's welfare responsibilities in regards to women; by saddling we fathers /ex husbands with prejudicial property settlements and ongoing spousal and children maintenance payments. 

EG:  Female Doctor in private practice earning in excess of $500,000 yearly,  gets a monthly payment from her Ex husband (male nurse on considerably less income) just over $2,000 a month for the child maintenance of his 3 sons, which continues even after they reach 18 if they're full time students. 

Consider how the poor guy struggles to readjust to his own life as time goes on,  new relationship, and kids etc. 

Ex wife (Doctor) convinces 2 sons to stay full time students at University,  ex husband continues to pay "child"  support for years later, son number 1 stays at Uni in excess of 7 years and on it goes.  

BTW I'm not the ex husband, but I did marry his ex wife and she took great delight in telling me the sad saga.  

Interestingly I'm one of her Ex's too now 555.   Women are vengeful bitches when things don't go their way. 

The sad truth is both federal and state governments have privatised essential services like Electricity, Water and to some extent Medical and Education; yet the public service has continue to grow out of all proportion to what the government actually does. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kimber said:

You can thank the ALP governments Judge Lionel Murphy for the Australian Family Law Act that effectively divested our Federal government of it's welfare responsibilities in regards to women; by saddling we fathers /ex husbands with prejudicial property settlements and ongoing spousal and children maintenance payments. 

EG:  Female Doctor in private practice earning in excess of $500,000 yearly,  gets a monthly payment from her Ex husband (male nurse on considerably less income) just over $2,000 a month for the child maintenance of his 3 sons, which continues even after they reach 18 if they're full time students. 

Consider how the poor guy struggles to readjust to his own life as time goes on,  new relationship, and kids etc. 

Ex wife (Doctor) convinces 2 sons to stay full time students at University,  ex husband continues to pay "child"  support for years later, son number 1 stays at Uni in excess of 7 years and on it goes.  

BTW I'm not the ex husband, but I did marry his ex wife and she took great delight in telling me the sad saga.  

Interestingly I'm one of her Ex's too now 555.   Women are vengeful bitches when things don't go their way. 

The sad truth is both federal and state governments have privatised essential services like Electricity, Water and to some extent Medical and Education; yet the public service has continue to grow out of all proportion to what the government actually does. 

I feel for her 1st X

My best mate got shafted after 3 years of marriage, two kids and $750,000 to her from property settlement, she also got $2,500 a month in child support for about 3 years, until he finally woke up.

I would break his balls all the time until he finally woke up, he threw his job in and pays no child support, because he tried having her assessed based on her university degrees, and as a basic, a teacher salary, but they wouldn't buy that because she was a full time mum, so he shafted them and her, good on him.

He know works for cash, and said to me when his kids who he doesn't see, because she keeps failing to give them to him, i.e. she is not home when he would go around, been to court, they threatened her, but never anything, so when they reach the adult age, he will see them and everything he has is for them, and believe you me, his folks are loaded, and he is the only son, so his kids are on easy street.

As for his X, keep telling him that she is still in love with him, like my x, why else would they keep at us....lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

How could you have "snuck" into Australia, did you swim ashore after stowing away on a cargo ship? Why would you have to "smuggle" money to your Thai wife from Australia? A simple bank transfer would do the job. No good moaning about the 2 year rule, it's been in place for quite a while, if you want your pension you have to comply. The picture you paint of Australia with out of control teenagers flaunting road rules, punching people out is an exaggeration to say the least. I've been in Thailand 8 years and the lack of law and order here, teen gangs with firearms, corruption, road deaths, road rage, rubbish thrown everywhere, pollution etc makes Australia look bloody good. I still like living in Thailand, but it isn't paradise.

When say snuck in I mean, yes I was in Oz illegally (was just too late for the 10 pounds assisted package transit thing). I've been processed by Australian immigration and all is recorded with them about my residing around 20 years in Australia before gaining PR in 1991, then citizenship in early 1994. In all that time I never left Australia. I didn't get back to see my family untill after that, which was for 2 months. Then resided continuosly until 2004 and then was in & out of Oz until I came to Thailand in 2010, so there's agood 35 years living & working in Oz until 8 years ago. I was back in Oz from Dec 2015 till June 2016. I tried calling Centrelink before (as someone else here said) going on TV at Thaivisa but couldn't get through because of bad service in my Thai location, but I posted to hear the feedback about this & it seems there are a lot of grey areas about this 2 years residence before OAP age, so I'd say I should have no problems, but governments are always changing things & sometimes pay for it at the ballot box, but one never knows eh?

9 minutes ago, Groove said:

When say snuck in I mean, yes I was in Oz illegally (was just too late for the 10 pounds assisted package transit thing). I've been processed by Australian immigration and all is recorded with them about my residing around 20 years in Australia before gaining PR in 1991, then citizenship in early 1994. In all that time I never left Australia. 

Tell me how you were there illegally and still get citizenship? You didn't come on a boat from Indonesia did you?

AFAIK there are no grey areas, you have to spend a full 2 years in Australia just prior to applying for an OAP.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Groove said:

When say snuck in I mean, yes I was in Oz illegally (was just too late for the 10 pounds assisted package transit thing). I've been processed by Australian immigration and all is recorded with them about my residing around 20 years in Australia before gaining PR in 1991, then citizenship in early 1994. In all that time I never left Australia. I didn't get back to see my family untill after that, which was for 2 months. Then resided continuosly until 2004 and then was in & out of Oz until I came to Thailand in 2010, so there's agood 35 years living & working in Oz until 8 years ago. I was back in Oz from Dec 2015 till June 2016. I tried calling Centrelink before (as someone else here said) going on TV at Thaivisa but couldn't get through because of bad service in my Thai location, but I posted to hear the feedback about this & it seems there are a lot of grey areas about this 2 years residence before OAP age, so I'd say I should have no problems, but governments are always changing things & sometimes pay for it at the ballot box, but one never knows eh?

We are too small a constituency to have an impact on the ballot box, although the broader community of Old Age Pensioners certainly makes the politicians tread warily. Just ask anyone on Newstart or any other of the younger social welfare recipients - Centrelink treats them like lepers in comparison.

1 hour ago, Kimber said:

Question, how long did you reside and pay taxes in Australia ? 

The Australian aged pension (OAP) varies depending on the years you resided and paid taxes here, as I recall it's around 35 years and more.  Less than that and your OAP is adjusted lower, that's what you need to look for on the Centerlink website. 

In my own case (now 65 and on OAP plus TPI Veteran pension) when I relocate to Thailand I only lose the "Energy supplement"  and a couple of lesser supplements that total just over $160 a fortnight.  

Apart from Army deployments overseas and holidays  (no effect on pension) I've always lived in Australia (born here), according to DVA (govt department who manage veterans pension among other things) if I relocate to Thailand I should still pull just under 100,000 tb monthly with no tax. 

"v

On 1/11/2008 at 5:04 AM, Nignoy said:

Sorry to be the bearer of Bad News, my wife and I are both australian old age pensioners, we were leaving australia on the 21st of september last year on a 6 month tour of asia and europe, we were informed by immigration at Brisbane if we stayed out of australia for more than 13 weeks we would both lose our age pension and have to wait a further 3 months before being eligable to apply again,so we cut short our trip and returned after 12 weeks,when we returned on the 3rd of december we contacted a solicitor to check up on this new regulation, uptil now all we are getting is conflicting informationas soon as we hear something definite in writing we will post it here Nignoy

"The Australian aged pension (OAP) varies depending on the years you resided and paid taxes here, as I recall it's around 35 years and more."

1.     Does resided mean total number of years in Australia from mm/yy of birth to mm/yy left OZ to reside in Thailand?

Or

2.    Does it mean number of years in Australia mm/yy from starting first job to mm/yy left australia to live in Thailand?

3.   Can we say that from the mm/yy starting first job to work, until mm/yy left OZ to live in Thailand is also the way to calculate number years the applicant paid taxes in OZ, or that an entirely different calculation?

To be honest I'm really looking for clarification whether 1. or 2. above is correct, because recently on other threads both 1. and 2. are claimed to be corrrect, so which is it?

Also a SMH article, perhaps a year back confuses the matter by seeming to state both versions are correct. So which is it?

Would appreciate some specific answers. 

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I feel for her 1st X

My best mate got shafted after 3 years of marriage, two kids and $750,000 to her from property settlement, she also got $2,500 a month in child support for about 3 years, until he finally woke up.

I would break his balls all the time until he finally woke up, he threw his job in and pays no child support, because he tried having her assessed based on her university degrees, and as a basic, a teacher salary, but they wouldn't buy that because she was a full time mum, so he shafted them and her, good on him.

He know works for cash, and said to me when his kids who he doesn't see, because she keeps failing to give them to him, i.e. she is not home when he would go around, been to court, they threatened her, but never anything, so when they reach the adult age, he will see them and everything he has is for them, and believe you me, his folks are loaded, and he is the only son, so his kids are on easy street.

As for his X, keep telling him that she is still in love with him, like my x, why else would they keep at us....lol

Mate, I could go on for hours about the glaring flaws in property settlement,  

Consider this one,  my Ex wife (the same Doctor) finally agrees to have her private medical practice valued (yeah my solicitor had to fight for that one, the law does SFA ).

So its agreed that a professional Property Valuer is engaged to do the job, after the official valuation I query the abysmal results.  I contacted the Valuers and am told all they did was contact my Ex for her valuation of the private practice, which they cut and pasted into their report template for the federal court !

The "valuation"  was supposed to be a full blown audit based on bank and business transactions over 5 years.

I inform my solicitor only to be told that no matter the official valuation stands up,  seriously this is considered acceptable <deleted>.  Their focus is on box ticking nothing more.

The private practice was valued at........Nothing, Zilch. SFA;  even though she was earning between  650 and 800 thousand a year while we were married.  How do I know ?    I did all the  quarterly Business Activity Statements (BAS) and kept the records. 

Her business accountant jockeyed the figures and advised her to take out mortgages and loans etc. 

The glaring problem with the whole property settlement process is, that the party holding most of the assets; can delay for years while they hide money and embrace easily cleared debts. Surely everything should be frozen, including business until settlement is finalised.  

The Family court and Federal court Judges are all ex- family law solicitors,  and hand in glove with the private law practices representing the opposing parties (we the people).

With over 74% of marriages/ live in relationships failing within 7 years, property settlement is a lucrative industry for legal practitioners. 

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

"v

On 1/11/2008 at 5:04 AM, Nignoy said:

"The Australian aged pension (OAP) varies depending on the years you resided and paid taxes here, as I recall it's around 35 years and more."

1.     Does resided mean total number of years in Australia from mm/yy of birth to mm/yy left OZ to reside in Thailand?

Or

2.    Does it mean number of years in Australia mm/yy from starting first job to mm/yy left australia to live in Thailand?

3.   Can we say that from the mm/yy starting first job to work, until mm/yy left OZ to live in Thailand is also the way to calculate number years the applicant paid taxes in OZ, or that an entirely different calculation?

To be honest I'm really looking for clarification whether 1. or 2. above is correct, because recently on other threads both 1. and 2. are claimed to be corrrect, so which is it?

Also a SMH article, perhaps a year back confuses the matter by seeming to state both versions are correct. So which is it?

Would appreciate some specific answers. 

Thanks.

"Would appreciate some specific answers."

So you expect me to do your homework ? 

Why not read up on the relevant website, because that's what I'd have to do in the role of your "consultant"  

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

AFAIK paying taxes has absolutely no bearing on obtaining an OAP. You could spend 35 years on the dole and still be entitled. It's the length of stay that's important.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

AFAIK paying taxes has absolutely no bearing on obtaining an OAP. You coould spend 35 years on the dole and still be entitled. It's the length of stay that's important.

Thanks, in other words any calculation of years in OZ would start from DOB.

Thanks again appreciated.