Australian Aged Pension

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

There is no tax free threshold for non residents.  If you have a link to show there is, post it. 

As I have said, pensioners WANT / NEED to be a resident of Australia for taxation purposes, to avail themselves of the tax free threshold, but they live in Thailand full time.  How will they be able to continue this "domiciled" appearance, after the 183 day law is passed?  

https://www.etax.com.au/aged-pension/

7 hours ago, Nemises said:

Think you would have been better off staying in Australia, owning your own house there and living on the pension?

Think again.

Screenshot (329).png

My condo has a swimming pool, restaurant and convenience store. The MONTHLY rental for a fully furnished unit is $340.

My yearly car registration is $80. A full car service is usually $50. Internet is $18 a month.

The only really big expense I have is my top level private health cover in Australia.

IMO any pensioner in Australia who does not own the roof over their heads is screwed.

It is  unbelievable both major parties allow multinational corporations to export resources without paying their fair share of taxes, or allow the rort of negative gearing to continue. However, that's what happens when politicians are bought.

On 9/22/2024 at 4:11 PM, Will27 said:

Just waiting for KH to get off of his meds and see all of these new posts.

As you are aware, I haven't been on this part of the forum for a while, and as I just replied to 2 of his posts, if we all take a look at how he has to reply to every post (full pages) and put his ill informed and delusional opinions on every post, we should make it our duty to keep him up till the early hours of the morning replying to all of our  further posts, until his meds run out.

Busy At Work Funny GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I take the opposite tack. I don't respond to any of his posts. Why give a troll any oxygen?

He has said he does not have an OAP, and will never get one. Therefore, his only purpose being on the forum is to try and make other people as miserable as he is.

Makes sense 100%

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

No, afraid I have no advice for those guys. If I did know of a way around it, I’d have been  living in Thailand full time for the last six years myself. Instead, I’m forced to permanently lock up a large amount of money in my flat in Australia, along with paying thousands each year in council tax, body corporate fees, fixed charges for electricity and water, air fares between Sydney and Bangkok. I do save on health insurance that I would have had to purchase were I living in Thailand full time.

Why are you forced ?

Why don't you sell it ?

Or rent it for cash ? 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As you are aware, I haven't been on this part of the forum for a while, and as I just replied to 2 of his posts, if we all take a look at how he has to reply to every post (full pages) and put his ill informed and delusional opinions on every post, we should make it our duty to keep him up till the early hours of the morning replying to all of our  further posts, until his meds run out.

Busy At Work Funny GIFs | Tenor

Not possible to appeal to a  higher authority about his trolling flaming either lately! Why is that? Is KH catholic  or a mason maybe! 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Not possible to appeal to a  higher authority about his trolling flaming either lately! Why is that? Is KH catholic  or a mason maybe! 

I've questioned this previously before.

My bet is because he generates a lot of traffic.

The fact that he ruins a lot of threads and people stop posting doesn't really come into it.

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Why are you forced ?

Why don't you sell it ?

Or rent it for cash ? 

I’m forced to maintain a residence (I believe ‘domicile’ is the technical term) in Australia so I can keep my tax residency status while spending 8 months or so overseas each year. I suppose I could just sell my flat and rent a place for the 4 months I’m in Australia, but changing address every year would look more than a little iffy to the tax office, and renting the same place for the whole year would end up nearly as expensive as keeping my flat, with all the disadvantages of renting. If my flat was in Bondi, no doubt I could profitably rent it out short term while I’m not in Australia, but since it’s in a place no tourist would want to visit, I could only really do that for 12 month periods, as well as having to spend tens of thousands to bring it up to a condition suitable for renting out.

To bring this back on topic, I’m about to apply for the OAP. Apologies if this has been already covered in the past 215 pages, but does anyone know if my 8 month absences each year would prevent me from getting the pension? There’s a lot of talk about the 2 years spent in Australia to qualify, hope I wouldn’t have to suspend much of my travel for that period of time.

25 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The fact that he ruins a lot of threads and people stop posting doesn't really come into it.

He only generates a lot of his own traffic as shown here by his 45 posts in a row having hardly any replies

Edited by Pattaya57

5 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I think he is younger than you too 

Now I know we don't have brain surgeons in Australia so before you ask what does that mean ,please have a think about it

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Can put him on ignore / blocked but that's very different to having him blocked from posting.

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Probably be better off financiallu if you can get the Disability pension,I believe you can also receive it living  overseas ?

I'm thinking about going for the DSP and not touching my super 

Looking at your posting history, you're a shoo-in for the DSP.

• Haha 1