Australian Aged Pension

Hey simple1* ... or any one else.

Say you worked in say England for 20 years and Australia for 20 years,

quite considerable stints in each, contributing to taxes etc

... would you be eligible, by living in Thailand able to claim a pension from either ... or both Countries?

* Mate ... not having a go ... just a genuine question.

Pretty sure the answer is yes.

Under International Social Security Agreements ,if you are entitled to pension payments from another country, you are under law required to claim that pension and inform the Australian Government.

Your Oz pension will then be reduced by the amount received from the second pension.

Depending on which is regarded as the primary pension you may end up getting the equivalent of the British pension which I believe is lower than the Oz one.

When I applied for the O.A. pension some 9 years back, I had to list each country I'd worked in. I contacted the appropriate UK pension fund, where they had records of my employment back in 1967, and the 23 pounds per annum is paid to me each December.

nothing like a big Christmas prezzie!

I have heard from UK residents living here that their pension is reduced substantially as they live overseas. Not good.

from what i have been told there are 2 ways for eligible australians to get around the 2 year residence in australia before your pension becomes portable (i.e paid to you when you reside overseas) .......

first one is head off to new zealand when you are of eligible age, tell them you now reside in nz and apply for the aussie oap there (you will probably have to show proff in the form of a rental agreement etc) ........ once you get the pension no portablity rules will apply (though i have heard they are tightening up on this...

second one is to head back to australia about 6 months before your eligible pension date and get on the unemployment benefit (you will obviously have to arrange your finances acordingly to obtain this) ....... once you hit pension age they automatically transfer you to the old age pension and there is no "non-resident" tag on your file ...... you can then scoot off overseas and contimue to receive your pension .....

• Like 1

from what i have been told there are 2 ways for eligible australians to get around the 2 year residence in australia before your pension becomes portable (i.e paid to you when you reside overseas) .......

first one is head off to new zealand when you are of eligible age, tell them you now reside in nz and apply for the aussie oap there (you will probably have to show proff in the form of a rental agreement etc) ........ once you get the pension no portablity rules will apply (though i have heard they are tightening up on this...

second one is to head back to australia about 6 months before your eligible pension date and get on the unemployment benefit (you will obviously have to arrange your finances acordingly to obtain this) ....... once you hit pension age they automatically transfer you to the old age pension and there is no "non-resident" tag on your file ...... you can then scoot off overseas and contimue to receive your pension .....

Your post made me smile ... biggrin.png

We Aussies are a lovable dodgy mob, with more then a dash or irreverence ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Probably like many others in this Forum, I am a married aged pensioner with a wife (Austrlian) who is not eligible for any benefits.

As such I receive half the Couple benefit.

On a recent visit to CL in Sydney, I complained that I should be entitled to the Single benefit... the quiet response I got was... divorce your wife and claim Single benfit.

Has anyone heard of this suggestion... and assuming wife has objections, do you see any problem?

Probably like many others in this Forum, I am a married aged pensioner with a wife (Austrlian) who is not eligible for any benefits.

As such I receive half the Couple benefit.

On a recent visit to CL in Sydney, I complained that I should be entitled to the Single benefit... the quiet response I got was... divorce your wife and claim Single benfit.

Has anyone heard of this suggestion... and assuming wife has objections, do you see any problem?

People have done it

You would probably have to stop living together to get the single entitlement.

Quite true ... it's the relationship status that matters ... not the single/married aspect.

For example ... there is no such thing as a 'Marriage' Visa ... it's a Partner Visa

You could try it ... but that's a risk/reward decision. Is the risk worth it if you get caught?

If your wife is not an Australian citizen, she it would very, very difficult for her to enter Australia.

Say, for example, you got really, really sick and had to spend an extended period in an Australian Hospital (assuming you still qualify), she would not be able to accompany you ... there would be no compassionate grounds for a longer Visa application.

So, that's why I say it's a risk/reward decision.

This section covers all the overseas pension topics you want to know about re Australian pensions.

Whether you can be paid whilst overseas.

If you are entitled to a Pension whilst overseas

If you are entitled to claim a Pension because you have lived overseas too long.

How long you have to stay in Australia to get the pension. etc etc. It's all there.

Click onto the link and scroll down the page.

http://au.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO82BhVaxSARAAj4QL5gt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDNhc2JxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12nag4vpn/EXP=1387054561/**http%3a//www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia

This section covers all the overseas pension topics you want to know about re Australian pensions.

If you are entitled to claim a Pension because you have lived overseas too long.

How long you have to stay in Australia to get the pension. etc etc. It's all there.

http://au.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0SO82BhVaxSARAAj4QL5gt.;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDNhc2JxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12nag4vpn/EXP=1387054561/**http%3a//www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia

NEW LINK

NEW LINK to Centrelink.

http://agencysearch.australia.gov.au/search/click.cgi?rank=1&collection=agencies&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&index_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fenablers%2Foutside-australia&auth=ZSu0oPUqd%2FA%2Fk2WY86PVYA&search_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fcustomer%2Fdhs%2Fcentrelink&query=pension%20overseas&profile=humanservicesportfolio&identifier=1387703190.74983

Can you provide a link that shows you must restart the 2-year waiting time? I recently left Australia for 10 days in my first year of return as a former resident and had my pension stopped for the ten days. It was restarted as soon as I arrived back (I'd given them the dates before I left). It would seem odd if another two years waiting time was stacked onto the return date. That could mean that one never becomes a resident.

My understanding is that two years residence in Australia dated from the time the Age Pension was granted is all that is required to re-establish full resident status. But I guess if you stay away longer than six weeks that might be another story.

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to Age Pension within the last two years, you will not be able to receive your Age Pension outside the country. After you return, to be paid outside the country, you must have been living in Australia for two years since your last arrival for residence. If you travel to a country that Australia has a social security agreement with, you may be able to continue to get your payment under that social security agreement.

Does not seem fair to me either.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#AgePensionPensionSupplement

Thanks.

I've sent a message to Centrelink to seek clarification on "last arrival for residence". If it means the date of return from a short trip, such as my 10 day visit to LOS, I might pursue it further.

Finally got a response from Centrelink. The two-year waiting period recommences after any offshore trip, no matter how short, that you undertake during the two years. So I returned to Australia permanently in November 2012 and went to Thailand for 10 days in September 2013. As a result my two years was restarted on return and I must now wait until September 2015 before my pension becomes portable. Also, for any period that I am offshore during that time, my pension payments are suspended.

i have been told that as of january 2014 you have to have lived in australia for 35 years and not 25 years to get the full pension. Part pension im not sure.

For new applications, subject to the legislation being enacted, 35 years Working Life Residency (commencing from age 16, plus some additional criteria) for full Aged Pension

Edited by simple1

I am 63 years old and up to my 63rd birthday i have been living in Thailand. I was told by Centrelink to qualify for the Pension i have to become a resident, to do that i have to stay in Aus for 2 years prior to applying for the pension, even though i have been an Australian citizen for 40 odd years.

So when my 2 years are up in 17 months i will apply for the pension and move back to Thailand, i think i will lose the Medicare levy after 13 weeks, about $30 a week but i am ok with that.

I think if you notify Centrelink what you are doing, and come back to Aus every 6 months it will still be ok, can anyone comment on this?

Cheers Cottage.

I am 63 years old and up to my 63rd birthday i have been living in Thailand. I was told by Centrelink to qualify for the Pension i have to become a resident, to do that i have to stay in Aus for 2 years prior to applying for the pension, even though i have been an Australian citizen for 40 odd years.

So when my 2 years are up in 17 months i will apply for the pension and move back to Thailand, i think i will lose the Medicare levy after 13 weeks, about $30 a week but i am ok with that.

I think if you notify Centrelink what you are doing, and come back to Aus every 6 months it will still be ok, can anyone comment on this?

Cheers Cottage.

You also are probably not entitled to a full pension as you must have 35 years working life residence in australia for that.

Edited by harrry

I've been searching for the current data about the means test: how much cash, investments, property, etc., a single person can have before it effects the amount of pension one can receive. But t find the details.

Can someone please share the details on this.

Thanks.

I've been searching for the current data about the means test: how much cash, investments, property, etc., a single person can have before it effects the amount of pension one can receive. But t find the details.

Thanks.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Thanks.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

Thank you.

Cheers Cottage.

If by your post you are in Australia to qualify 2 years before you are doing it right.After 13 weeks you do lose a bit of pension but it isn't to much.The main problem with all of this is when you come back into the country.In your case you will be ok,others that come back a month before and think they will be ok will get caught out that magnetic stripe in the new passport tells all,they know when you came back if you in for an interview then your 2 years starts,and believe me that interview isn't easy they know more about you than you know about yourself

When you get the OAP you do not have every come back to Australia they will pay your pension into your Thai bank account forever.If you are on medication that you cannot get in Thailand and have a good doctor in Australia it is worth coming back every 6 months to get your PBS meds besides that just stay in LOS.I had been out of the country many times on a Disability Pension and never and a problem.2 weeks before I was 65 I got a letter to change to the OAP which I did then my trouble started.It wasn't trouble it was a nightmare

Cheers Cottage.

If by your post you are in Australia to qualify 2 years before you are doing it right.After 13 weeks you do lose a bit of pension but it isn't to much.The main problem with all of this is when you come back into the country.In your case you will be ok,others that come back a month before and think they will be ok will get caught out that magnetic stripe in the new passport tells all,they know when you came back if you in for an interview then your 2 years starts,and believe me that interview isn't easy they know more about you than you know about yourself

When you get the OAP you do not have every come back to Australia they will pay your pension into your Thai bank account forever.If you are on medication that you cannot get in Thailand and have a good doctor in Australia it is worth coming back every 6 months to get your PBS meds besides that just stay in LOS.I had been out of the country many times on a Disability Pension and never and a problem.2 weeks before I was 65 I got a letter to change to the OAP which I did then my trouble started.It wasn't trouble it was a nightmare

I had understood that if already in receipt of DSP benefit it was 'automatic' to roll over to Aged Pension, from your post it appears this is not accurate, so what was the main challenge you faced?

Transfer of pension funds to Thailand.

Would appreciate any information / experiences about best way to transfer pension payments to a Thai bank or any banking institute in Thailand.

Recently heard some 3rd hand information that Westpac customers can draw funds in Thailand from account held in Australia. Any members have details of this or similar set ups?

Thanks.

Transfer of pension funds to Thailand.

Would appreciate any information / experiences about best way to transfer pension payments to a Thai bank or any banking institute in Thailand.

Recently heard some 3rd hand information that Westpac customers can draw funds in Thailand from account held in Australia. Any members have details of this or similar set ups?

Thanks.

Centrelink will transfer Aged Pension payments in A$ to your Thai bank account. For transferring funds privately some Australian banks will only remit in Thai baht, that translates to a poor exchange rate. If your bank will remit in A$ you can establish a regular payments process via internet banking facility. Avoid any Oz bank using an intermediary bank as the fees are higher. There are non bank facilitators that people claim provide better exchange rates, but that introduces an element of risk.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here I go again stirring the OAP pot again. rolleyes.gif

Question....

I am a returning resident having arrived back in OZ 6 months ago after about 7 years overseas working.

I am currently just turned 63.

When I get to 65, late in 2015, I will apply for the OAP and it should be portable to Thailand immediately.

I reason that I will have, by that time, acquired resident status due to my two and a half years in OZ prior to turning 65.

My question... Can I leave OZ during those 2 years leading up to 65, prior to OAP application, and not impact on its portability at 65?

My response to my own question is as follows:

• I am not receiving the OAP during this two and a half years
  • Pre - 65 I am able to go on holiday like most people
  • I am not the same as a 65 yo returning resident who applies for OAP who is not allowed to leave OZ for 2 years to make his OAP portable at 67.

I welcome any reasoned response to this and also understand that only C/L hold the real answer(s) [could be more than one]!!!

wai.gifbiggrin.png Thank you from ozbrew

I was in a similar situation (2009 to 2013) and had no problems with going overseas on short-term holidays whilst still working in Australia. You may want to contact Centrelink International in Tasmania and try to get confirmation in writing. I have had many confliction answers from Centrelink staff who refused written confirmation regarding portability.

• Like 1

Thank you, Cee Bee. Your response gives me hope.

You are correct in advising to get it in writing from C/L.

Clearly, it would be an absolute disaster to take an OS holiday leading up to 65 only to be told when I apply for the OAP at 65 that my 2 years had to start again from the date of return of my last OS trip.

Next stop is C/L Hobart. coffee1.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping someone can answer the following 2 questions.

1.Has anyone actually had the "new" 35 year AWLR applied to their OAP application since January 1st as I have been " advised" that this increase, from 25 years, requires legislation which has not yet occurred so for now, the old 25 years still applies.

2.Is there any benefit to be gained by actually returning to OZ and applying for the OAP on one's 65th birthday as opposed to sometime later as again it has been suggested that it may assist re the assessment of being a former resident returning Vs a returning resident.

Many thanks as my 65th approacheth.

If you return to oz prior to the birthday you still have to remain there for the 2 year qualifying period, THis period starts again each time you leave the country even temporarily.

Not so, harrry. That's what we thought a while back, and that's the advice I received over the phone from Centrelink responding to my emailed question to them on the my.Gov.au website. However, I've just received written advice from the Department of Social Security, who interpret the Act, as follows:

"Temporary travel undertaken within the two year period, after resuming residence, will result in the suspension of the Age Pension. This travel does not impact on the two year residence period which commences from the date residence resumed."

DSS confirmed that the advice I'd received from Centrelink was incorrect and that the two-year period starts from the date of returning to Australia to resume long-term residence. Short trips are not counted.

Cheers

Xangsamhua