Australian Aged Pension

what gets me is i worked and employed hundreds of people in my working life started at 15yrs 

at 62 i broke my back and other injuries no compo 

after pension age /came here to live /went back to visit kids and went to get new card 

refused /i think it stinks as my ongoing injuries happened in oz

Breaking news... (conveniently announced during more major news headlines i.e. football finals)

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg announces first major review of Australia's retirement income system in 30 years.

The first major look at Australia's savings system in 30 years will examine the interaction between the age pension, compulsory super and voluntary savings.

Read more:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-28/retirement-income-system-review-josh-frydenberg-treasurer/11557508

7 minutes ago, opalred said:

what gets me is i worked and employed hundreds of people in my working life started at 15yrs 

at 62 i broke my back and other injuries no compo 

after pension age /came here to live /went back to visit kids and went to get new card 

refused /i think it stinks as my ongoing injuries happened in oz

No compo? was it a work injury? had you left the country for more than 5 years?

i can show how gov stinks 

i had the bad accident at 62 i went to govt dr /he put me on pension/ as was put at 70% disability 

as part of pension was given allowance for different medication 

i came here  and after thy changed me to aged pension and after a few years stopped my medicare and allowance for medications /i rang the manger of medicare and told them it was a criminal offence most  country's in world to take away someones medical care and medication all i got was sorry 

i still think today it was a criminal offence  what the govt did

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, opalred said:

i had the bad accident at 62 i went to govt dr /he put me on pension/ as was put at 70% disability 

i came here  and after thy changed me to aged pension and after a few years stopped my medicare and allowance for medications /i rang the manger of medicare and told them it was a criminal offence most  country's in world to take away someones medical care and medication all i got was sorry 

You thinking it is an offence, does not make it so

All supplementary payments (pharmaceutical etc ) cease after about six weeks on pension if you reside outside Australia.

You can re enrol for Medicare if you go back to live permanently in Australia

Today’s AU newspapers:

Pension age rise ‘not on agenda’

FEDERAL Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has assured Australians the review of the nation’s retirement income system won’t result in a push to raise the pension age.
But his Labor counterpart Jim Chalmers is concerned the examination of superannuation, asset ownership and the age pension announced on Friday is a forerunner to cuts to retirement incomes.
“If the government was serious about this retirement incomes review they wouldn’t have dropped it out on the eve of grand final weekend hoping nobody would notice,” Dr Chalmers said yesterday.
Mr Frydenberg was asked if lifting the pension age to 70 was back on the cards, but answered: “No, it’s not.
“What we’re focusing on is again developing an evidencebased approach to future policy decisions,” he told reporters in Melbourne after attending the AFL final breakfast. “We haven’t changed our position, the position still remains.”
Back in September 2018, newly installed Prime Minister Scott Morrison dumped a plan to raise the pension age to 70, a proposal that had been put forward by former treasurer Joe Hockey in his controversial 2014 Budget. The review has been expected since the Productivity Commission recommended it in a report released earlier this year.
Under the terms of reference, the review will look at the interaction between the age pension, compulsory superannuation and voluntary savings, including home ownership. The review will conclude in June 2020.
“This government has form when it comes to cutting the pension, attacking super and following the whims of the extremists on their backbench,” Dr Chalmers warned.
“This government wants to take compulsory out of compulsory super.”
There is pressure from a rump of Liberal backbench MPs to scrap the legislated increase in the compulsory superannuation guarantee from 9.5 per cent to 12 per cent. But Mr Frydenberg insists the government has no plans to abandon the legislated incremental increases to 12 per cent by 2025.
This schedule was already delayed seven years by Mr Hockey from an original plan made by Labor.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:36 PM, opalred said:

My advice to anyone is to maintain an address in Australia unless you benefit by not being a resident and try to return once a year. That way it is very difficult for them to deny residency. 

A long time ago for you now, but you should have appealed.

1 hour ago, rhodie said:

My advice to anyone is to maintain an address in Australia unless you benefit by not being a resident and try to return once a year. That way it is very difficult for them to deny residency. 

A long time ago for you now, but you should have appealed.

I go back once a year do a bit of work do my tax, Trying just to keep a foot in the door so to speak.

Might work for me in 6 years time when I get the pension.

• Like 1

when i rang them and said it was humanely wrong/they said could appeal 

i said i will but did nothing/as would be stress for me 

next payment was stopped

my daughter rang them /they said no payment if appealing

my daughter said how is he going to live and buy medication and food 

they said cannot pay while waiting appeal my daughter had to say he is older and dose not know what he is doing /they restored payment/ how can anyone wait 12mnths to get to court without money 

how sick are they 

but i think they have private contractors  /that get payed on money thy take from pensioners 

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, opalred said:

when i rang them and said it was humanely wrong/they said could appeal 

i said i will but did nothing/as would be stress for me 

next payment was stopped

my daughter rang them /they said no payment if appealing

my daughter said how is he going to live and buy medication and food 

they said cannot pay while waiting appeal my daughter had to say he is older and dose not know what he is doing /they restored payment/ how can anyone wait 12mnths to get to court without money 

how sick are they 

but i think they have private contractors  /that get payed on money thy take from pensioners 

Sorry you had to endure that mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Today’s Aus newspapers:

“Australia’s pension system 3rd best in world”

Our system third-best in world, but we should work longer

AUSTRALIA’S retirement system has been rated the world’s third best in a new report.

But people should be encouraged to work longer to boost their nest eggs, experts suggest. Automatically raising the pension age as life expectancy rises is another recommended improvement to ease pressure on the public purse.

A more generous assets test to allow higher part age pension payments is also proposed. The Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index calls for households to save more and reduce debt so that they have more money in retirement.

The report’s lead author, David Knox, said more people were entering retirement with mortgages, credit cards, car loans and other debts.

“As people retire they have to pay off that debt, so some of their superannuation won’t be for putting food on the table or going on a holiday but to pay off home loans,” Dr Knox said.

“That affects the living standards that people have when they leave the workforce.”

The study analysed retirement income systems including superannuation and pensions. It also considered the effect of home ownership, household savings rates and household debt levels.

Australia was only outperformed by the Netherlands and Denmark.

The research compared 37 systems covering almost twothirds of the global population to measure their adequacy, sustainability and integrity.

The study found people were more willing to spend or borrow money before retirement if their superannuation balances grew. This was likely because they felt wealthier.

It noted ageing populations were putting pressure on pension systems around the world, and that extraordinarily low interest rates in many countries were reducing retirees’ financial returns.

Dr Knox said Australian retirees earning little on their savings should be compensated with a higher part-age pension through a reduction in the effect of the assets test.

And retirees with a reasonable superannuation balance should be forced to take part of their nest egg as a steady income rather than being allowed to grab a lump sum.

A federal government review of the retirement system, announced last month, will examine compulsory superannuation, the age pension and voluntary savings.

IMG_5630.PNG

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 7:30 AM, RJRS1301 said:

All supplementary payments (pharmaceutical etc ) cease after about six weeks on pension if you reside outside Australia.

Evidently, currently after six weeks or immediately on a permanent move your pension supplement drops from $68.90/FN to $37.00/FN.

Be careful what you wish for!

There is now legislation in the pipeline to cease payment entirely after six weeks or immediately on a permanent move.

New rules for travellers may see pensioners worse off:

https://nationalseniors.com.au/news/latest/new-rules-for-travellers-may-see-pensioners-worse-off?utm_source=verizon&utm_medium=native&utm_content=travel rules&utm_campaign=2019.10-11 - content campaign

Edited by LosLobo

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Evidently, currently after six weeks or immediately on a permanent move your pension supplement drops from $68.90/FN to $37.00/FN.

Be careful what you wish for!

There is now legislation in the pipeline to cease payment entirely after six weeks or immediately on a permanent move.

New rules for travellers may see pensioners worse off:

https://nationalseniors.com.au/news/latest/new-rules-for-travellers-may-see-pensioners-worse-off?utm_source=verizon&utm_medium=native&utm_content=travel rules&utm_campaign=2019.10-11 - content campaign

I believed this has been happening for some time already.

15 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes Mate, it has!

I limit my trips to Thailand (Under the current "Thai rules") to a max of 183 days or about 6 months. After 42 days, the supplements drop off. Last year & this year 42 days here was enough.

We MUST get the Libs out. Gough Whitlam, for all his shortfalls, did more for us OAP's than anyone since.

{snip} Mr. Whitlam said the Labor Party had promised in the 1972 election campaign to implement a policy of full portability of pension rights for migrants. This Would  enable migrants, especially old or retired people, to return to their homelands without sacrificing their pension rights. "It can be seen from the figures prepared by the Immigration Advisory Council that we have fulfilled this pledge in full" Mr. Whitlam said. {END SNIP} https://pmtranscripts.pmc.gov.au/release/transcript-3420

Of course "discrimination" legislation meant ANY Aussie could retire wherever they liked - The libs have chopped our rights up in EVERY successive Gov.

Edited by BB1958
typo

7 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

Yes Mate, it has!

I limit my trips to Thailand (Under the current "Thai rules") to a max of 183 days or about 6 months. After 42 days, the supplements drop off. Last year & this year 42 days here was enough.

We MUST get the Libs out. Gough Whitlam, for all his shortfalls, did more for us OAP's than anyone since.

{snip} Mr. Whitlam said the Labor Party had promised in the 1972 election campaign to implement a policy of full portability of pension rights for migrants. This Would  enable migrants, especially old or retired people, to return to their homelands without sacrificing their pension rights. "It can be seen from the figures prepared by the Immigration Advisory Council that we have fulfilled this pledge in full" Mr. Whitlam said. {END SNIP} https://pmtranscripts.pmc.gov.au/release/transcript-3420

Of course "discrimination" legislation meant ANY Aussie could retire wherever they liked - The libs have chopped our rights up in EVERY successive Gov.

There is pension portability, depending on length of residency in Australia, prior to pension grant, but the other payments drop off, electricity, pharmaceuticals, as they are no longer required for payments in Australia, so guess that is fair.

I think social security payments are a such large part of budgetary expenses, so attempting to limit them and reign them in is major job for treasury.

6 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There is pension portability, depending on length of residency in Australia, prior to pension grant, but the other payments drop off, electricity, pharmaceuticals, as they are no longer required for payments in Australia, so guess that is fair.

I think social security payments are a such large part of budgetary expenses, so attempting to limit them and reign them in is major job for treasury.

There are probably thousands of 120 year old pensioners in the med countries still claiming pensions

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

other payments drop off, electricity, pharmaceuticals, as they are no longer required for payments in Australia

Electricity payment not required while outside Australia?? Fixed electricity charge around $120 per quarter. Not to mention council rates.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

you mean deceased persons still receiving payments into estates?

After the pensioner dies the family do not notify the Department of their death. That means the payments continue. The wife or children continue to benefit. 

My understanding is that in Thailand (repeat in Thailand) there's a strict requirement that when there is a death of a foreigner the Thai police must be called (whether at home, at a hotel, at hospital etc.) and the police must take away the passport or other ID documents of the deceased and the said passport must be formally quickly handed over to the embassy of the deceased.

I was told years back by a senor Australian consular officer (in Bkk) that very quickly all australian gov't agencies receive an official secure e-mailed notification of the death and all agencies had to immediately take appropriate actions, if required (maybe none).

I'm certainly no expert on this, not at all, however it seems to me that this would include Centrelink and more.

On the other hand is there such a procedure in all countries / do the police have to called if a foreigner dies / is killed in every country? Who knows but I'm going to assume that it's a very hit and miss answer. 

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if centrelink etc., have the capability (not difficult)  to identify the names of receivers of pensions / allowances etc., who are over say: 100.... and ...

Edited by scorecard

On 10/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, RJRS1301 said:

13 hours ago, BB1958 said:

Yes Mate, it has!

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

There is pension portability, depending on length of residency in Australia, prior to pension grant, but the other payments drop off, electricity, pharmaceuticals....

No, currently the pension supplement does not drop off, after 6 weeks it reduces from $68.90/FN to $37.00/FN.

There is only proposed legislation to cease payment entirely after six weeks.

Pension supplement is a combined payment of Pharmaceutical Allowance, Utilities Allowance, GST Supplement and Telephone Allowance.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

My understanding is that in Thailand (repeat in Thailand) there's a strict requirement that when there is a death of a foreigner the Thai police must be called (whether at home, at a hotel, at hospital etc.) and the police must take away the passport or other ID documents of the deceased and the said passport must be formally quickly handed over to the embassy of the deceased.

They certainly advise - normally relatively quickly except perhaps in the case of Thai dual nationals who may not have declared their foreign citizenship.  When I lived in Thailand there was no requirement for the ppt to be taken away but details (or a copy) were sufficient.  Different countries/embassies have different requirements.  In my country, when an official communication (ie: letter from police) is received, that is sufficient to cancel the passport which then triggers the data-matching with various other agencies including social security.  But not all countries are as linked-up, I imagine.

For those 80 and older...
https://www.superguide.com.au

Proof of life

Australian pensioners living overseas now need to provide proof they’re still alive or risk having payments cut off.

In new legislation that came into effect on 1 October, age pension, disability pension, widowers and carer support recipients aged 80 and older who live abroad must now submit a proof-of-life certificate within 13 weeks of their pension due date to avoid having payments suspended.

The federal government expects to net $129 million over a four-year period by cancelling almost 6000 cases of pension payments being paid to people who have died.

Social Services Minister Anne Ruston says there is no suspicion of widespread fraud being committed but many family members are unaware they need to inform the government when a pensioner passes away.

Proof-of-life certificates can be downloaded at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/.

Edit: Also, not mentioned above: you’ll have to register that you’re still alive at an Australian embassy in the country where you live. You’ll need to do this registration via a “proof-of-life certificate” every two years

Edited by BaanOz
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BaanOz said:

For those 80 and older...
https://www.superguide.com.au

Proof of life

Australian pensioners living overseas now need to provide proof they’re still alive or risk having payments cut off.

In new legislation that came into effect on 1 October, age pension, disability pension, widowers and carer support recipients aged 80 and older who live abroad must now submit a proof-of-life certificate within 13 weeks of their pension due date to avoid having payments suspended.

The federal government expects to net $129 million over a four-year period by cancelling almost 6000 cases of pension payments being paid to people who have died.

Social Services Minister Anne Ruston says there is no suspicion of widespread fraud being committed but many family members are unaware they need to inform the government when a pensioner passes away.

Proof-of-life certificates can be downloaded at https://www.humanservices.gov.au/.

Edit: Also, not mentioned above: you’ll have to register that you’re still alive at an Australian embassy in the country where you live. You’ll need to do this registration via a “proof-of-life certificate” every two years

Thanks for this information,I was aware that they were considering this but not that it had been implemented.

Looking at the required form for submission looks easy enough if you are still with us,checked My Gov Website and there is an area within Centrelink for uploading foreign Government documents

On 10/27/2019 at 6:47 AM, BB1958 said:
On 10/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, RJRS1301 said:

Yes Mate, it has!

No mate it hasn't. Cut to basic rate for years, yes.

It's still before the Senate and not yet passed. Report and petition links below.

https://www.yasstribune.com.au/story/6463454/mean-spirited-and-unfair-pension-supplement-bill-doesnt-pass-the-pub-test/?cs=6252&fbclid=IwAR0YeJm0TeR9YwV_yqL3DABjzANHCnilbhiD94r1bvhFyuUjGSyM7mT5AUk

Petition:- https://nationalseniors.com.au/advocacy/current-petitions/protect-the-pension-supplement-for-travellers

On 10/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, BaanOz said:

no suspicion of widespread fraud being committed but many family members are unaware they need to inform the government when a pensioner passes away.

I would suspect that there is, that is why they have implemented this at age 80, suffice to say, no one will ark up about it as 80 years of age is a fair call, but watch as time passes by, i.e. they will readjust the age to 75 and then 70 when they find out that there are a lot of dead Xpats families still receiving the pension.

On 10/29/2019 at 12:51 PM, BaanOz said:

You’ll need to do this registration via a “proof-of-life certificate” every two years

Fair call, but at an early age I would imagine, 75, then 70