Australian Aged Pension

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks. 

"A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period)."

Would be interested to know what is a "short absence." 

"Since 20 September 2000, a former resident who returns to Australia and is granted Age or DSP, or who transfers to Age under SS(Admin)Act section 12, cannot take that pension outside Australia if they leave within 2 years of having resumed residence in Australia. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from travelling to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas."

This tends to go against the "short absence" clause. 

Perhaps you should contact the prime minister and complain.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Status is your word.When I  first got OAP I continued working, declared  the amount ea f/n, if under threshold received full pension, if over it was reduced.Lotto winner same. No change to my "status" lol.

Call it what you will, but my point is, one day Centerlink classify you as this, and the next day they an classify you as that.  The laws / classification criteria is changing all the time. 

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

Call it what you will, but my point is, one day Centerlink classify you as this, and the next day they an classify you as that.  The laws / classification criteria is changing all the time. 

As already suggested write to or visit the Australian PM. Perhaps visit him with a gift of a case of wine.

1 minute ago, KhunHeineken said:

As I thought.  So the other member's post can not be relied upon.   

My info is based on dealings back. In 2010, things may have changed in that time, although I don't think the ruling on portability has.

I had a protracted fight with CL over portability, although I had been o/s for about 6 years prior to applying for OAP and was told I had to stay 2 years to keep the pension  I maintained that my time  o/s had been temporary as I was flying in as and out a few times each year. The reason I fought it was exactly what we are discussing now, I was told very clearly that if I departed anytime within 2 years my pension would stop, this didn't suit what I wanted so fought the system and was after a lengthy review by a seperate arbitrator classified as a resident and the 2 year wait period was waived - Lucky me. 

At the time I believed I would need to virtually re-apply when I returned, that point I didn't chase up as I was pushing to be classified as a resident. 

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

My info is based on dealings back. In 2010, things may have changed in that time, although I don't think the ruling on portability has.

I had a protracted fight with CL over portability, although I had been o/s for about 6 years prior to applying for OAP and was told I had to stay 2 years to keep the pension  I maintained that my time  o/s had been temporary as I was flying in as and out a few times each year. The reason I fought it was exactly what we are discussing now, I was told very clearly that if I departed anytime within 2 years my pension would stop, this didn't suit what I wanted so fought the system and was after a lengthy review by a seperate arbitrator classified as a resident and the 2 year wait period was waived - Lucky me. 

At the time I believed I would need to virtually re-apply when I returned, that point I didn't chase up as I was pushing to be classified as a resident. 

I think there would be a lot of guys that wouldn't really care too much if the pension was stopped, but care more bout the 2 years starting again, and again, and again.  Basically, the 2 year sentence of living in Oz. 

31 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

So no subtance to your "status" rubbish here then.Off you go for another month or two then! 

19 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I think there would be a lot of guys that wouldn't really care too much if the pension was stopped, but care more bout the 2 years starting again, and again, and again.  Basically, the 2 year sentence of living in Oz. 

When I come back to Aus for a visit I do not advise CL,so my payments do not change I am still classified as a non resident,therefore no 2 year qualifying period before I leave again.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Nope. As Margaret Thatcher once said to George Negus during an interview...." Please give me the names of these people"????????

I would have thought those planning to go back to Oz right to the very day they planned to achieve portability that got caught in Thailand for around 2 years would be considered unlucky, and those that already came back to achieve portability would have considered themselves lucky, as they couldn't travel back to Thailand anyway. 

6 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I would have thought those planning to go back to Oz right to the very day they planned to achieve portability that got caught in Thailand for around 2 years would be considered unlucky, and those that already came back to achieve portability would have considered themselves lucky, as they couldn't travel back to Thailand anyway. 

Please accept my apologies. I mis-interpreted your prior comment (thinking it was anti Thai.)

Yes, your point is/was very valid and something that played on my mind during border closures.

Hopefully that is all behind us now.

Cheers.????????

34 minutes ago, norbra said:

When I come back to Aus for a visit I do not advise CL,so my payments do not change I am still classified as a non resident,therefore no 2 year qualifying period before I leave again.

You have already achieved portability.  We are discussing the rules in order to achieve it. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Please accept my apologies. I mis-interpreted your prior comment (thinking it was anti Thai.)

Yes, your point is/was very valid and something that played on my mind during border closures.

Hopefully that is all behind us now.

Cheers.????????

No problem.

Out of interest, why do you say anti-Thai?  What has Thailand got to do with Centerlink in Australia, and achieving pension portability? 

10 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

No problem.

Out of interest, why do you say anti-Thai?  What has Thailand got to do with Centerlink in Australia, and achieving pension portability? 

A number of posters seem to enjoy bashing Thailand while living here.

I simply thought the comment was designed to indicate that these people were unlucky that they couldn't get out.

No connection between Thailand & CL portability implied.????????

8 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

A number of posters seem to enjoy bashing Thailand while living here.

I simply thought the comment was designed to indicate that these people were unlucky that they couldn't get out.

No connection between Thailand & CL portability implied.????????

Ok.

Imagine someone is just about to achieve portability, after 2 years in Oz, then the pandemic hits, and they are stuck in Oz for another 2 years.  I reckon those guys were the most unlucky.   :smile:

7 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Ok.

Imagine someone is just about to achieve portability, after 2 years in Oz, then the pandemic hits, and they are stuck in Oz for another 2 years.  I reckon those guys were the most unlucky.   :smile:

Yup. No winners amongst these scenarios.????????

10 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Status, classification, call it whatever you like.  Point being, it can change with the stroke of a pen in Canberra. 

Again, there has been no change by "Canberra" its called income and assets testing, the basis of determining whether you qualify or not and to assess the amount. But that doesnt suit your alarmist storyline. Next! 

20 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Thanks. 

"A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period)."

Would be interested to know what is a "short absence." 

"Since 20 September 2000, a former resident who returns to Australia and is granted Age or DSP, or who transfers to Age under SS(Admin)Act section 12, cannot take that pension outside Australia if they leave within 2 years of having resumed residence in Australia. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from travelling to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas."

This tends to go against the "short absence" clause. 

Whatever you want it to be, perhaps you could test it:

-Go to OZ and lodge application for OAP

-One week later fly out of OZ but return within 7 days (a 'short absence')

-Wait for 2 weeks to see if there's any comment/action from C'Link.

- Now fly out of OZ and return 10 days later (just to test re 'short absence')

- Now fly out quickly after that and return 14 days later..

Keep this up until you get a reaction from C'link 

At the end of the 2 years fly out and never return to OZ - wait for a reaction from C'Link. 

Now you can be a good boy and share all of the above for all Aussies. 

8 hours ago, Olmate said:

Again, there has been no change by "Canberra" its called income and assets testing, the basis of determining whether you qualify or not and to assess the amount. But that doesnt suit your alarmist storyline. Next! 

This is what the member said:

"Actually when I was in Oz I called the Centrelink Older Australian number and asked specifically about this point.

The answer was that you can leave Australia several times, for several weeks, during the 2 years after you have returned from a long absence and it doesn't affect the accumulation of the 2 years and pension doesn't stop unless it's quite prolonged.

The C'link officer did say 'I suggest that in one block period you don't stay away for more than one year, that would cause complications'."

I challenged him on it, and then he said either he, or she, or both, were "joking."  His post certainly didn't read like a joke to me.

Do you agree with his post, or not?  If not, how am I being "alarmist?" 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 6:24 PM, scorecard said:

Perhaps you should contact the prime minister and complain.

Dont waste your time Done that Just get ingnored " Its criminal act by Australian Governments what they are  doing to Age pensioners ! They the Government politicians receive full pensions can work make as much money as they like ! We Australian get kicked in the guts ! You pay taxes from day start working, cant recall correct amount lets say 10 cents in the $ taken out placed in pension  funds  tax you from day you start work to day you stop As it is now 67 Australian pension well below poverty level as it is ! every 2 years must confirm by mail only if overseas  your still alive or Age pensions stops your pension lot mail goes missing in Asia ? Why in modern digital  world we can not prove still alive via embassy or local consulate in country your residing in is beyond me or video link WhatsApp etc ! As it stand now l rtn Australia say hi Centrelink  and leave again within 2 or 3 weeks,  Australian pension is one of lowest paid in the modern worldso called wealth Country reasons lot of retirees leave Aussie can't afford to live there  ! Should not matter of you live outside  Australia & go bac claim age pension You paid during your working  life " taxes into Aussie pension funds  , immagrants to Australia must work 10 year for Age pensions " Australian born 30 + years of paying taxes " ! Its disgusting way Australians are treated by either Political  party Alp + Lnp   As for writing to PM Don't waste your time he's to busy with renewables pipe dream & Voice vote for indigenous Australians ! Deviding Australia is his agenda in similar manner as Bidem did to America via BLM when all lives matter ! We have a vote at  Federal or state elections for voice for all Australians !! Albo too busy bringing in apartheid politics " He does not care about Age pensioners Alp are now devisive political party Age pensions need to rise by 50 % to meet American social security or European standards just to survive in or out of Australia living is not easy ,  2 years must be bsck in Australia to claim its criminal act should be able go back and claim your pension its not charity you paid for it via taxes for your Age pension " IF you happen to die before pension age retirement they dont give your families the money back that you paid int ! Costello  under Howard Government took our pension money or  funds & placed all into future funds billions $$ went missing never seen again Future funds are ponzi scheme Money gone ? All Australians should be entitled to there pension regardless where you now reside in the world! Politicians are greedy parasits or legal Mafioso they receive pension + still make millions on the side Aussie who take Age pensions are limited what they allowed to earn ! In US at 67 you can receive pension and work to limit of $100,000 ontop of your pension ! No limit in NZ either can receive pension  & still work your paying taxes still. You paid for your pension already. Australia treats pensioners like a desease You worked paid your taxes . I find whole Australian system is deplorable treatment or elder abuse,  you cannot live inside  Australia on Aussie pension Its hard enough living  outside Australia but at least van have  meals per day instead of 1 in Australia ! Main reason Australians and other countries US go live in Asia  to survive as best we can on what little we receive 

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

Dont waste your time Done that Just get ingnored " Its criminal act by Australian Governments what they are  doing to Age pensioners ! They the Government politicians receive full pensions can work make as much money as they like ! We Australian get kicked in the guts ! You pay taxes from day start working, cant recall correct amount lets say 10 cents in the $ taken out placed in pension  funds  tax you from day you start work to day you stop As it is now 67 Australian pension well below poverty level as it is ! every 2 years must confirm by mail only if overseas  your still alive or Age pensions stops your pension lot mail goes missing in Asia ? Why in modern digital  world we can not prove still alive via embassy or local consulate in country your residing in is beyond me or video link WhatsApp etc ! As it stand now l rtn Australia say hi Centrelink  and leave again within 2 or 3 weeks,  Australian pension is one of lowest paid in the modern worldso called wealth Country reasons lot of retirees leave Aussie can't afford to live there  ! Should not matter of you live outside  Australia & go bac claim age pension You paid during your working  life " taxes into Aussie pension funds  , immagrants to Australia must work 10 year for Age pensions " Australian born 30 + years of paying taxes " ! Its disgusting way Australians are treated by either Political  party Alp + Lnp   As for writing to PM Don't waste your time he's to busy with renewables pipe dream & Voice vote for indigenous Australians ! Deviding Australia is his agenda in similar manner as Bidem did to America via BLM when all lives matter ! We have a vote at  Federal or state elections for voice for all Australians !! Albo too busy bringing in apartheid politics " He does not care about Age pensioners Alp are now devisive political party Age pensions need to rise by 50 % to meet American social security or European standards just to survive in or out of Australia living is not easy ,  2 years must be bsck in Australia to claim its criminal act should be able go back and claim your pension its not charity you paid for it via taxes for your Age pension " IF you happen to die before pension age retirement they dont give your families the money back that you paid int ! Costello  under Howard Government took our pension money or  funds & placed all into future funds billions $$ went missing never seen again Future funds are ponzi scheme Money gone ? All Australians should be entitled to there pension regardless where you now reside in the world! Politicians are greedy parasits or legal Mafioso they receive pension + still make millions on the side Aussie who take Age pensions are limited what they allowed to earn ! In US at 67 you can receive pension and work to limit of $100,000 ontop of your pension ! No limit in NZ either can receive pension  & still work your paying taxes still. You paid for your pension already. Australia treats pensioners like a desease You worked paid your taxes . I find whole Australian system is deplorable treatment or elder abuse,  you cannot live inside  Australia on Aussie pension Its hard enough living  outside Australia but at least van have  meals per day instead of 1 in Australia ! Main reason Australians and other countries US go live in Asia  to survive as best we can on what little we receive 

Never been asked to prove I'm still alive in 14 years of living in Thailand.

Archived