Australian Aged Pension

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sherwood said:

No thanks I want to retire in Thailand

You, and many others.

The days of having a decent lifestyle in your retirement years in Australia are coming to an end, unless you are quite wealthy. 

As I alluded to in another thread, it's possible, in the future, retirees will be leaving Australian shores in big numbers.  That's a lot of Aussie dollars leaving the Aussie economy, benefiting a foreign country, whether it be superannuation, savings, rent, dividends, pensions, or a combination of these. 

I can't see the Australian government sitting back doing nothing as billions of dollars flow out of the Australian economy to places like Thailand, Bali, Vietnam, Philippines etc. 

With the direction Australia is heading in, people will not be able to retire until in their 70's, which means they will basically die working.  Many may just decide to cash in, and check out of Australia, and enjoy their twilight years abroad, and who can blame them?

It will be interesting to see what moves the Australian government do to stem the exodus of people and their money.

The answer to the outpouring of funds is apparently being looked at and likely to be implimented - a 30% flat tax on all income starting at $1 - this will include OAP, I guess Vet pension and all interest earned on any assets ie super funds, bank interest etc. So be prepared to get well and truly screwed. 

All pensioners should head back and claim full pensions with all the added bonus's - free car rego, licence, power supplements, cheap travel etc etc, if everyone heads back they might change their minds when they calculate all the costs of all extras being paid out. 

46 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The answer to the outpouring of funds is apparently being looked at and likely to be implimented - a 30% flat tax on all income starting at $1 - this will include OAP, I guess Vet pension and all interest earned on any assets ie super funds, bank interest etc. So be prepared to get well and truly screwed. 

All pensioners should head back and claim full pensions with all the added bonus's - free car rego, licence, power supplements, cheap travel etc etc, if everyone heads back they might change their minds when they calculate all the costs of all extras being paid out. 

Where,s that missing emoji! 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Hi Artisi,

Can you please share the source of your post and whether, from your understanding, the personal tax, if implemented, refers to:

- Cash in OZ bank(s) (and perhaps in banks abroad) at time of applying for the OAP?

- Annual levels of cash in OZ bank(s) (and perhaps in banks abroad) on an annual basis?

• - NOTE ALSO:  Annual levels of cash in OZ banks for all pension recipients (meaning pensioners who eaide in Australia full time, rarely/never leave Australia for any reason). 
  • With the recent mentions in the OZ media that pensioners are suffering, barely surviving seems a bit rough to tax them 30%. Also, it's alwys been enshrined in OZ attitudes /  laws that tax on pensions are exempt from taxation. 

- Annual personal tax on all pension payments made to recipients domiciled in OZ (Incl: OAP, C'link Disability allowances, DVA Service Pension, DVA Disability Compensation allowance (until last year called DVA Disability pension), the tax being paid as part of submitting / settling a personal annual tax return to the ATO? 

- Annual personal tax on all pension payments (OAP, DVA Service Pension, DVA transferred to banks abroad to recipients domiciled in OZ (Incl: OAP, C'link Disability allowances,DVA Service Pension, DVA Disability Compensation allowance (until last year called DVA Disability pension), paid as part of submitting a personal annual tax return to the ATO? 

I guess the two scenarios just above could mean:
- taxed on the amount received, or

- taxed on any amount above a published threshhold amount? 

- Or...?

On 2/9/2023 at 8:58 AM, KhunHeineken said:

Surely Services Australia are informed about outbound travel. 

Please provide some evidence that Centrelink has been privatised and is now owned by Services Australia, a private company. Google searches don't support that, not at all.

I know from clear discussions with the officers on the 'older Aussies Line' (seems to be part of Centrelink and Services Autralia) that there' a 24/7 live connection to Immigration records and folks recipient of pensions administered by Centrelink. Any exit/entry of sucn pensioners on the passport records automatically goes onto the Centrelink / pension records of that person. 

One quick example:  about 2 weeks after I had completed the '2 years return to re-establish a residence in OZ requirement' I called the older aussies line; identified myself and the politels asked 'Am I now entitled to 'Portability'?  (Reality; I hadn't left OZ since I returned 2 years earlier beacause this was in the height of the Covid- 19 issues; some difficulty to get per permission to exit OZ (but possible with some extra documenttion) and the issues of gaining permission to enter Thailand regardless of what Thai visa the person holding, ll of course focused on spread of Covid- 19.)

The Older Aussies Line Lady quickly responded with 'let me call up a couple of connected screens to get some data, as she did she said 'I need to look at your movements out in and into OZ over the last 2 years which is all on the screen coming up now, it's automatic from immigration records'.

Then she said 'Ohh you haven't been out oz OZ for just over 2 years'. Then she indicated she needed o scan a couple more pieces of data on her screens. Less than a minute later she politely said 'Yes I confirm you are now entited to 'Portability'. She asked 'do you have any more questions on the that item', and can I eplain anything more about portability and what you need to do if you wish to return abroad?

I responded 'I've been reading a lot re 'Portability' and I think I understand, can I can call you back If I run into any issues or anything I don't fully understand'

She politely responded 'Sure that's fine and don't ever hesitate to call if needed'.

51 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Hi Artisi,

Can you please share the source of your post and whether, from your understanding, the personal tax, if implemented, refers to:

- Cash in OZ bank(s) (and perhaps in banks abroad) at time of applying for the OAP?

- Annual levels of cash in OZ bank(s) (and perhaps in banks abroad) on an annual basis?

• - NOTE ALSO:  Annual levels of cash in OZ banks for all pension recipients (meaning pensioners who eaide in Australia full time, rarely/never leave Australia for any reason). 
  • With the recent mentions in the OZ media that pensioners are suffering, barely surviving seems a bit rough to tax them 30%. Also, it's alwys been enshrined in OZ attitudes /  laws that tax on pensions are exempt from taxation. 

- Annual personal tax on all pension payments made to recipients domiciled in OZ (Incl: OAP, C'link Disability allowances, DVA Service Pension, DVA Disability Compensation allowance (until last year called DVA Disability pension), the tax being paid as part of submitting / settling a personal annual tax return to the ATO? 

- Annual personal tax on all pension payments (OAP, DVA Service Pension, DVA transferred to banks abroad to recipients domiciled in OZ (Incl: OAP, C'link Disability allowances,DVA Service Pension, DVA Disability Compensation allowance (until last year called DVA Disability pension), paid as part of submitting a personal annual tax return to the ATO? 

- Or...?

If the proposed changes come in, and they deem pensions, that's all pensions, to be "income" just like any other income, immigration will notify the Australia Tax Office and Centerlink that you have been out of the country for 183 days, so next fortnight's pension will be less 30%, or possibly even 48%.  It will be "taxed" at the non resident for taxation purposes rate, which is very high, and has no tax free threshold. 

I can't seem them giving people living overseas the full pension every fortnight, just to send them a bill for 30% or 48% at the end of the financial year, because how are they going to enforce collection when the debtor doesn't reside within Australia?  

If you are working online remotely, or work for 5 months of the year in Australia and spend the other 7 months overseas, or have a passive income generated in Australia, such as renting out a property,  interest, or dividends, but you are living in Thailand, for example, you can expect a letter from the ATO, after you submit your tax return, informing you that as you were outside of Australia for more than 183 days you have been deemed a non resident for taxation purposes, and as your tax return showed an income of X amount of dollars, you now have a tax liability of 30% or 48% of your X amount of dollars and here's your bill?  Please pay within 28 days.   

For pensioners, the issue will be if they deem the pension to be an "income" just like any other income.  Hopefully, pensions will be exempt, but who knows.   

For the others who work remotely, or actually work in Australian for less than 6 months, or for those who receive a passive income, such as rent, dividends, interest etc, as the other member said, you are screwed.  You will be paying non resident tax rates. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Hi Artisi,

- Or...?

Hi, 

I thought I was discussed here sometime back, as for concrete info I don't have, mainly because I lost interest in it sometime back as we were planing and have now  returned to Oz for my sons higher education - I now have my own situation to bitch about, my wife being considerably younger than I and of working age impacts on my OAP, she is currently on job search and every casual hour she works I get a few dollars docked each fortnight - and as for prices, unbelievable - if it wasn't for my boy's education, we would probably heading straight back to LOS. 

PS, last I remember, the changes to the rules were to be considered by parliament early this year. 

4 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Hi, 

I thought I was discussed here sometime back, as for concrete info I don't have, mainly because I lost interest in it sometime back as we were planing and have now  returned to Oz for my sons higher education - I now have my own situation to bitch about, my wife being considerably younger than I and of working age impacts on my OAP, she is currently on job search and every casual hour she works I get a few dollars docked each fortnight - and as for prices, unbelievable - if it wasn't for my boy's education, we would probably heading straight back to LOS. 

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Hi, 

So just a rant... seriously you didn.t think your wifes income would effect you. Credibility zero to your post sunshine! 

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

If the proposed changes come in, and they deem pensions, that's all pensions, to be "income" just like any other income, immigration will notify the Australia Tax Office and Centerlink that you have been out of the country for 183 days, so next fortnight's pension will be less 30%, or possibly even 48%.  It will be "taxed" at the non resident for taxation purposes rate, which is very high, and has no tax free threshold. 

I can't seem them giving people living overseas the full pension every fortnight, just to send them a bill for 30% or 48% at the end of the financial year, because how are they going to enforce collection when the debtor doesn't reside within Australia?  

If you are working online remotely, or work for 5 months of the year in Australia and spend the other 7 months overseas, or have a passive income generated in Australia, such as renting out a property,  interest, or dividends, but you are living in Thailand, for example, you can expect a letter from the ATO, after you submit your tax return, informing you that as you were outside of Australia for more than 183 days you have been deemed a non resident for taxation purposes, and as your tax return showed an income of X amount of dollars, you now have a tax liability of 30% or 48% of your X amount of dollars and here's your bill?  Please pay within 28 days.   

For pensioners, the issue will be if they deem the pension to be an "income" just like any other income.  Hopefully, pensions will be exempt, but who knows.   

For the others who work remotely, or actually work in Australian for less than 6 months, or for those who receive a passive income, such as rent, dividends, interest etc, as the other member said, you are screwed.  You will be paying non resident tax rates. 

"Hope<deleted>lly, pensions will be exempt, but who knows."

OZ pensions have long been a sacred cow / EXEMPT from tax.  We wait and see, and (just my opinion, not fact) I somehow doubt pensions will be touched in any way (just my opinion, nothing more).

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Please provide some evidence that Centrelink has been privatised and is now owned by Services Australia, a private company. Google searches don't support that, not at all.

That's a question for Lacessit, because he's the one who posted it, but here's the website.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/about-us?context=1

I know from clear discussions with the officers on the 'older Aussies Line' (seems to be part of Centrelink and Services Autralia) that there' a 24/7 live connection to Immigration records and folks recipient of pensions administered by Centrelink. Any exit/entry of sucn pensioners on the passport records automatically goes onto the Centrelink / pension records of that person. 

This would be correct.  I am not on an OAP, but a friend is.  He called them one day and did not mention his location.  As soon as they verified his ID, the staff member told him he was overseas.  They knew within seconds of the phone conversation start he was not in Australia.  Couple that with the 183 day law, if it comes in, and it's looking like a good pay day for the government. 

One quick example:  about 2 weeks after I had completed the '2 years return to re-establish a residence in OZ requirement' I called the older aussies line; identified myself and the politels asked 'Am I now entitled to 'Portability'?  (Reality; I hadn't left OZ since I returned 2 years earlier beacause this was in the height of the Covid- 19 issues; some difficulty to get per permission to exit OZ (but possible with some extra documenttion) and the issues of gaining permission to enter Thailand regardless of what Thai visa the person holding, ll of course focused on spread of Covid- 19.)

The Older Aussies Line Lady quickly responded with 'let me call up a couple of connected screens to get some data, as she did she said 'I need to look at your movements out in and into OZ over the last 2 years which is all on the screen coming up now, it's automatic from immigration records'.

Then she said 'Ohh you haven't been out oz OZ for just over 2 years'. Then she indicated she needed o scan a couple more pieces of data on her screens. Less than a minute later she politely said 'Yes I confirm you are now entited to 'Portability'. She asked 'do you have any more questions on the that item', and can I eplain anything more about portability and what you need to do if you wish to return abroad?

I responded 'I've been reading a lot re 'Portability' and I think I understand, can I can call you back If I run into any issues or anything I don't fully understand'

She politely responded 'Sure that's fine and don't ever hesitate to call if needed'.

The sub issue being discussed in not about portability.  No one is saying "if you leave Australia you will not get your pension."

The issue is the proposed changes to non resident taxation.  The government is making it very easy for them to tax people as non residents.  Inside Australia for more than 183 days, resident.  Outside of Australia for more than 183 days, non resident for taxation purposes.  

Inside Australia, traditionally, pensions have not been viewed as an income, but have been viewed as a benefit.  If they view a pension as an income if you are outside of Australia, then you can expect non resident tax rates to be withheld every fortnight you are outside of Australia over 183 day.  No one is saying the pension will be cut off at 183 days.  It may be reduced by the non resident tax rate, because, after 183 days, you become a non resident.

I Googled is a pension and income in Australia and this came up.  

Your income includes money from:

• employment
  • pensions
  • annuities
  • investments
  • earnings outside Australia
  • salary packaging

https://moneysmart.gov.au/retirement-income/age-pension-and-government-benefits#:~:text=Income and assets tests&text=Your income includes money from,annuities

43 minutes ago, Olmate said:

So just a rant... seriously you didn.t think your wifes income would effect you. Credibility zero to your post sunshine! 

I wouldn't be such a smart <deleted> sunshine - get off your bar stool and do a bit of research. 

20 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

That's a question for Lacessit, because he's the one who posted it, but here's the website.

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/about-us?context=1

Services Australia/Centrelink was not aware I had landed in Australia until I attended an appointment about a week later, and had taken no action to issue me with a new concession card. I obtained a temporary document at the office, pending the card issue.

I can only post my experience, if people want to disagree it is not my problem.

7 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I wouldn't be such a smart <deleted> sunshine - get off your bar stool and do a bit of research. 

Not me on the stool.not me thinking my wifes income is somehow not related.Your research amounted to.... 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Hi, 

I thought I was discussed here sometime back, as for concrete info I don't have, mainly because I lost interest in it sometime 

6 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Not me on the stool.not me thinking my wifes income is somehow not related.Your research amounted to.... 

No second prizes, plus most posters here try and be helpful, not sniping away at people's posts - but guess some people get their kicks from confrontation. 

For what it's worth

The chance of taxing age pensions for people overseas as a non resident close to nil.

Services Australia is an Australian government agency and has not been privatised.

You can by four Magnum's at Coles every few weeks for 30 baht each. Probably better Magnum's too.

Steak is expensive and I am guessing similar quality in Thailand same or more expensive.

Never seen toasted ham and cheese for anywhere near $28 but eating out is definitely expensive. 

Food at supermarkets in Australia a bit expensive but if you are careful not too bad and less chemicals to worry about.

24 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For what it's worth

The chance of taxing age pensions for people overseas as a non resident close to nil.

Services Australia is an Australian government agency and has not been privatised.

You can by four Magnum's at Coles every few weeks for 30 baht each. Probably better Magnum's too.

Steak is expensive and I am guessing similar quality in Thailand same or more expensive.

Never seen toasted ham and cheese for anywhere near $28 but eating out is definitely expensive. 

Food at supermarkets in Australia a bit expensive but if you are careful not too bad and less chemicals to worry about.

Re supermarkets inn OZ, I got alerted to check out all the Coles, Woolies, Alsi home brand items. There's many products across the stores. Just as good quality as the 'original' brands. Includes food and many other product area.

Just one example : Coles home brand laundry deterget, notmal flagon size AUD2-. All the other brands in big chunky bottles, same products AUD 12 to AUD 15 for same volume. 

Coles Tomato soup, excellent taste,  80cents per can, campbell AUD5.xx per same size can.

One dozen frozen meat pies Aldi home brand, great taste, AUDAUD6.xx. Same pack mainstream brand Four n Twenty around AUD24.xx.

And dozens more products. 

I changed my s'mkt shopping habits to 99% Coles / Woolies / Aldi home branded items. Cut my s'mkt bill in hlf. No loss of quality.

But home delivery from these supermarkets is very expensive.

I had a free daily village bus service to 2 giant shopping complexes, 10 minutes each way, I did the trip 4 days a week to spread the weight I had to carry and also as a good excuse to get out of the house.

Also, at these complexes if I mentioned I was living at the local War Veterans Village cofee and lamington or whatever 50 - 60% instant discount. And instantly 'can we help you to get to your bus outside.  

Off topic - The RSL in Australia (Now RSLLifeCare) has realy upped it's game, it's attitudes, it's care / the broadness of wht they offer, etc. 'The 'Thank you for your service' comment is now instant. and sincere.

One afternoon I was killing time at a coffee shop in the shopping complex, 4 teenage high scholls boys came in and sat down and politely introduced themselves. They whispered and then one boy held my hand and said "I have a driving License, I can go home (5 minutes walk) and get our family car and drive you home with your shopping". The other 3 boys all instantly "let's go, let's go".

I thanked them for their kindness and said 'but my village bus driver is waiting outside  for me now, I don't want to cause confusion with the bus service'. I stood up and moved away with my walker and shopping bags with lots of waves and 'take care'.   

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

No second prizes, plus most posters here try and be helpful, not sniping away at people's posts - but guess some people get their kicks from confrontation. 

. Confrontation, really! Soon as your outed your onto the barstool retort.Lame. One post after advising us to return, very next post you say you probably should return to Thailand. Which way do you want us to jump now! 

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For what it's worth

My googling also shows that C'link has NOT been privatised, and C'link and Services Australia both exist and both are 'owned / operated' by the commonwealth gov't and they share companion / coordinate various services to the public.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Services Australia/Centrelink was not aware I had landed in Australia until I attended an appointment about a week later, and had taken no action to issue me with a new concession card. I obtained a temporary document at the office, pending the card issue.

Services Australia / Centrelink have a 24/7 link to the immigration databases of Australian (and other) folks going out and coming in.

Their systems continuously scan the immigration in/out databases and if they find a c'link or other citizen has entered / departed it's automatically recorded on the C'link and other files for that person. 

Does that automatially generate new concession / medicare etc., etc., cards. In some cases perhaps yes and perhaps not for all items. 

Medicare is one example, C'link (which nowadays manages medicare), doesn't know if the citizen just arrived/retuned has a valid card or has discarded their car.

On  a C'link visit I was asked "do you still have your Medicare card". I responded "no, lost years ago".

"Do you still have the number?" "No I don't."

C'link lady said "never mind I'll do a search for your number."

A few minutes later she said "system can't find your old number". At the same time the printer on her desk activated, she signed the letter, gave it to me and said "If you need to get meical attention please show this letter with your new Medicare number, your new plastic card will come in 2 or 3 weeks". New card arrival about 4 working days later. 

9 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For what it's worth

The ham and cheese sandwich was presented as a meal, came as standard with a pile of potato wedges and onion rings and a pile of salad and a pot of ketchup and a pot of mustard. 

9 hours ago, Olmate said:

. Confrontation, really! Soon as your outed your onto the barstool retort.Lame. One post after advising us to return, very next post you say you probably should return to Thailand. Which way do you want us to jump now! 

Just can't help yourself, can you? 

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Services Australia / Centrelink have a 24/7 link to the immigration databases of Australian (and other) folks going out and coming in.

Does that automatially generate new concession / medicare etc., etc., cards. In some cases perhaps yes and perhaps not for all items. 

You may be right, I had no concession card or PBS generated until after I attended an appointment. Perhaps I would also have continued to get the offshore pension amount, who knows?

11 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

For what it's worth

I have found Aldi is the cheapest by a considerable margin.

As far as steak goes, I have found nothing in Thailand which comes within a bull's roar of Victorian eye fillet. IMO freezing meat prior to importation into Thailand ruins it. I tried Cape Grim eye fillet from Tops in Chiang Rai, it was tough as old boots.

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have found Aldi is the cheapest by a considerable margin.

As far as steak goes, I have found nothing in Thailand which comes within a bull's roar of Victorian eye fillet. IMO freezing meat prior to importation into Thailand ruins it. I tried Cape Grim eye fillet from Tops in Chiang Rai, it was tough as old boots.

Agree re Aldi, they have many items which are considerably cheaper than the other 2, and many of their fresh meat cuts are also considerably cheaper. I bought their lamb chops several times, excellent quality/taste (just my opinion of course), certainly much cheaper than C or W. 

Aldi also has a limited but good selection of wines. Their boxed reds and whites are very drinkable in my unprofessional opinion as is their port, all quite low priced.

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Why do you say Services Australia / Centerlink were not aware of your arrival back in Australia?  Did you ask a staff member?  Were you expecting them to post you a new concession card the day you landed?  Where would they post it to? 

I think it's more a case of letting new arrives comes to us, rather than chasing them.

15 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Why do you say that?  Do you have a link to any legal precedent, or test case?

You may wish to read these links.  Just two of many articles about it.

https://www.thesenior.com.au/story/5573886/centrelink-privatisation-warning-as-private-firms-win-more-call-centre-jobs/

https://thesocialist.org.au/centrelink-being-privatised-by-stealth/

Everything has gone up by a considerable percentage, but wages and pensions etc have not gone up by the same percentage, thus, people are falling behind.

In order to survive, people take a cut in their lifestyle. 

Archived