Australian Aged Pension

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

If your OAP suddenly ceases after you turn 82, you'll know you didn't return the letter to prove you're still in the land of the living

What proof do they ask for on the letter? Otherwise anyone could fill it out and return it.

8 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Can't find what is an "authorised certifier" No, found it.

Proof of life certificates must be certified by an authorised certifier as specified in the Social Security (Administration) (Authorised Certifier) Determination 2019.

The following classes of person are specified as authorised certifiers.

Persons recognised under Australian law:

• a person who

• is admitted to the legal profession, and
    • holds a certificate to practise as a legal practitioner
  • a Registrar or Deputy Registrar
  • a judge, magistrate or justice, or
  • a person with same status as a judge, magistrate or justice
  • a justice of the peace
  • a notary public
  • a police officer
  • an Australian Consular Officer, or Australian Diplomatic Officer
  • a person who is
    • in a place outside of Australia, and
    • authorised to perform consular acts at that place
  • a person who is a medical practitioner.

Persons recognised in social security recipient's place of residence:

• a person who, under the law of or applying at that place, is currently authorised or entitled to practise in that place as:

• a legal practitioner (however described), or
    • a notary public (however described), or
    • a medical practitioner (however described), or
    • a police officer (however described)
  • a judge, magistrate or justice
  • a registrar or deputy registrar
Edited by giddyup

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never been asked to prove I'm still alive in 14 years of living in Thailand.

Im Amazed You  have not its clearly stated !! l left April 24th 2022 was given self addressed envelope to post bsck to Australia . My Address where l will reside inside Philippines  ! Told every 2 Years you will receive A letter & will have to fill out Too prove you are still alive by Centrelink Overseas Foreign  Affairs based in Tasmania / Canberra also ! You must return as proof you are still Alive or call overseas hotline or Your pension will stop ! Made it very clear to me gave me  self address envelopes ! My American friend also received same letter from US Social security must also prove they have in Manilla A social security office they can refer to ! If he did not his pensions  would cease ! Letter arrived 4 months late pensions was stopped! Lucky for him they as l said have Social security in Manilla .. You must be luckiest man alive who still recieves pension After being out of Australia for 14  years Never retuned in all  thatt time . Centrelink stated you can come back Australia report at any Centrelink office  + leave again of you come back for family  visits its easy so they say but  your paying for Airline ticket to go back or when receive letter return so we know your still alive ? This was bought about many years ago family's claiming deceased relatives  pension ! So now burden of proof is on you ...

Edited by Mad mick

On 1/29/2023 at 9:28 AM, giddyup said:

Never been asked to prove I'm still alive in 14 years of living in Thailand.

What so you neer left Thailand nor rtn Australia in 14 years ??? ????  From what was clearly spelt out to me was Simple prove your still alive every 2 years ! This started over family members claiming your pension while deceased Over 8 years ago ... I can only honestly tell you what was told to me At Centrelink & Given Self address envelope to send back to Australia Once i found permanent Address. As they will send a letter you must verify back you are living . US Citizens have social security office in Manilla to confirm every 2 years they are still alive ! Same reason  if deceased to ensure family members are not rorting the sustem , of deceased relative .. Australia  bought this in many years ago from Centrelink told me and seniors advice center saud that's a fact stop the rorting of relatives deceased pension etc, UK have the same ! Only if you did return Back Australia report Centrelink as your pension goes back up as your in Australia prior to leaving let them know and you go back to Flat overs seas rate as of now $960 per fortnight its not paid monthly any more from international Hobart ! Paid fortnightly as if your still in Australia at lower rate as you reside outside Australia your medicare card for pbs is suspended once you leave Any thats the fact ! Count yourself lucky if you been in Thailand never gone back in 14 years to Australia good luck to you but those are the rules today almost 8 years ago system apparently changed .. kind regards 

2 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

What so you neer left Thailand nor rtn Australia in 14 years ??? ????  From what was clearly spelt out to me was Simple prove your still alive every 2 years ! This started over family members claiming your pension while deceased Over 8 years ago ... I can only honestly tell you what was told to me At Centrelink & Given Self address envelope to send back to Australia Once i found permanent Address. As they will send a letter you must verify back you are living . US Citizens have social security office in Manilla to confirm every 2 years they are still alive ! Same reason  if deceased to ensure family members are not rorting the sustem , of deceased relative .. Australia  bought this in many years ago from Centrelink told me and seniors advice center saud that's a fact stop the rorting of relatives deceased pension etc, UK have the same ! Only if you did return Back Australia report Centrelink as your pension goes back up as your in Australia prior to leaving let them know and you go back to Flat overs seas rate as of now $960 per fortnight its not paid monthly any more from international Hobart ! Paid fortnightly as if your still in Australia at lower rate as you reside outside Australia your medicare card for pbs is suspended once you leave Any thats the fact ! Count yourself lucky if you been in Thailand never gone back in 14 years to Australia good luck to you but those are the rules today almost 8 years ago system apparently changed .. kind regards 

- Yes the system has changed, a lot.

- I went back after being out of OZ for around 23 years to do the 2 year penance, arrived in OZ December 2019.

- Nothing said at the passport desk on arrival.

- Day after I arrived I started the application for the OAP. First payment received less than 3 weeks later.

- The first day I went to C'link to get a CRN (C'link Reference number) the pleasant lady said 'do you still have your Medicare card?'

- I said 'No misplaced years ago'.

- She responded 'do you have the number? I said 'no'.

- She responded 'I will do a search, then said 'can't be found, maybe too old, never mind' and at the same time a letter printed out on her desk which she gave to me and said 'If you need medical help/care use this letter and the new number on the letter, you'll get a new plastic card in the post about 2 weeks'.

- The new plastic card arrived about 4 days later, used it shortly after, no questions asked.

A heads-up for people returning to Australia. Centrelink is now privatised under the name Services Australia.

Before, when I landed in Australia Border Force would automatically notify Centrelink of my arrival. Now, Centrelink does not know I am here until I tell them, which has implications in terms of getting a new pension card, and restoration of supplements and the PBS..

Services Australia ( an oxymoron ) does not accept walk-ins anymore, one has to make an appointment. By phoning 132 200, where a wait time can be 1 - 2 hours.

One other thing. Because I had all my COVID vaccinations in Thailand, Medicare had no record, so the vax I was offered was first generation Astra Zeneca. I had to have my Thai vax history uploaded to Medicare before the pharmacist would give me a bivalent Pfizer.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A heads-up for people returning to Australia. Centrelink is now privatised under the name Services Australia.

Before, when I landed in Australia Border Force would automatically notify Centrelink of my arrival. Now, Centrelink does not know I am here until I tell them, which has implications in terms of getting a new pension card, and restoration of supplements and the PBS..

Services Australia ( an oxymoron ) does not accept walk-ins anymore, one has to make an appointment. By phoning 132 200, where a wait time can be 1 - 2 hours.

One other thing. Because I had all my COVID vaccinations in Thailand, Medicare had no record, so the vax I was offered was first generation Astra Zeneca. I had to have my Thai vax history uploaded to Medicare before the pharmacist would give me a bivalent Pfizer.

I take it you showed your Thai records to Medicare who uploaded the details for you?

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Surely Services Australia are informed about outbound travel. 

Just now, Olmate said:

Crikey, could have bought a lamb chop with that! 

A bit off topic; however, the change made to the PBS by some bureaucratic genius has me quite gobsmacked. The PBS is only paid on the original prescription, any repeat is no longer subsidized.

Which means I go to a bulk-billing doctor to get another prescription. Any cost saving generated by not subsidizing repeats is well and truly swallowed up by the cost of a bulk-billed doctor.

I suppose it stops guys like me taking six months' worth of medications into Thailand, although the meds I buy in Thailand are quite often the same as the PBS cost.

IMO whoever thought this one up should be on a dole queue.

Paid $65 for 3 eye fillet steaks yesterday.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A bit off topic; however, the change made to the PBS by some bureaucratic genius has me quite gobsmacked. The PBS is only paid on the original prescription, any repeat is no longer subsidized.

Which means I go to a bulk-billing doctor to get another prescription. Any cost saving generated by not subsidizing repeats is well and truly swallowed up by the cost of a bulk-billed doctor.

I suppose it stops guys like me taking six months' worth of medications into Thailand, although the meds I buy in Thailand are quite often the same as the PBS cost.

I discovered that it's now not easy to buy pasties. Did find one on-line bakery, advertising 3 huge pasties for AUD50 plus AUD5 for home delivery just Nth of Sydney.

I took the plunge, delivery slow and huge turned out to be quite small and taste quite lacking, no carrot at all. For over 2 years searched further for pasties in the Northern Beaches area, never found any. 

But recently had an excellent pastie at the Irish Pub in Chiang Mai, good size, very tasty, 90Baht.

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Is this a very recent change? Back in 11/22 I purchased scripts for overseas travel. All were fulfilled ate the seniors price for a script i.e. $6.30 per Script. 

Today bought a small eye fillet steak for $20.00 - cost per kilo AUD$90.00 at the local butcher!

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I think you are getting confused between the $1 discount some pharmacies give to the aged and the PBS subsidy.

I had a repeat prescription dispensed early today with the PBS subsidy but not the $1 discount because I didn't wait the prescribed number of days between the repeats.

If you are going overseas your GP can still mark the prescription so all repeats are dispensed with the PBS subsidy at the same time.

Edited by LosLobo

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

I think you are getting confused between the $1 discount some pharmacies give to the aged and the PBS subsidy.

I had a repeat prescription dispensed early today with the PBS subsidy but not the $1 discount because I didn't wait the prescribed number of days between the repeats.

If you are going overseas your GP can still mark the prescription so all repeats are dispensed with the PBS subsidy at the same time.

I can only go by the advice the pharmacist gave me. I don't know if this is a recent change.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

I discovered that it's now not easy to buy pasties. Did find one on-line bakery, advertising 3 huge pasties for AUD50 plus AUD5 for home delivery just Nth of Sydney.

I took the plunge, delivery slow and huge turned out to be quite small and taste quite lacking, no carrot at all. For over 2 years searched further for pasties in the Northern Beaches area, never found any. 

But recently had an excellent pastie at the Irish Pub in Chiang Mai, good size, very tasty, 90Baht.

I just shelled out $100 for  pub meals in Australia for 3. I could feed 10 people in Thailand for that money and equivalent dishes, even more at a food court.

Don't get me started on massages, any version.

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I just shelled out $100 for  pub meals in Australia for 3. I could feed 10 people in Thailand for that money and equivalent dishes, even more at a food court.

Don't get me started on massages, any version.

When I was staying at a War Vets Village on the Northern beaches I got invited to join some pensioners to go to a local seafood restaurant. 

Others quietly mentioned ('it's very expensive but so are all restaurants).  Nothing on the menu re seafood/meals was under AUD80. A seafood platter (for 1) was AUD140. 

Big restaurant, good service, apparently full house every meal because of the freshness of the locally caught fish.

I ordered a ham and cheese sandwich AUD28 (not toasted), that seemed to be the 'default' several others were ordering.

When it came I was quite disappointed, a small amount of ham (1 small slice) and 1 commerial cheese slice. 

After that I politely declined invitations to go to restaurants. But no big deal, an excellent big menu professional restaurant within the War Vets village. Roast beef (several thick slices), gravy, yorkshire pudding a 3 veg AUD8.50 (obviously heavily subsidised).

The beef and other 'roast of the day meals' often became my default order (other options; roast pork and veg just AUD6, Pie and peas, big pie AUD3.50). And lots more.

If I went for breakfast I often ordered a bacon and egg roll, 3 or 4 big rashers of fresh bacon and 2 fried eggs, all made fresh, with B B Q sauce AUD3.50. Good value.

Edited by scorecard

Just back from a working holiday to Perth, underground truck driver, good money @ 42 an hour but that's 12 hours a day for 14 nights and days (7&7) A pack of smokes in Aust is about $60 bucks. No thanks I want to retire in Thailand

• Thumbs Up 1