Australian Aged Pension

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
On 7/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Hi again Los.

Forgot to mention that it was discussed that retention of bank accounts, superannuation in Oz and lodging tax returns (even if NRR- no return required) is good to show intention to return full time.

All sorts of possibilities if you (like me) no longer have secured real estate.

Cheers

I submitted a copy of my rental agreement for an apartment near Sydney plus proof of payment. I was expecting to be asked for more documentary proof but they didn't ask.

I did receive a form e.mail from Centrelink asking If I had any plans to go abroad in the next 12 months*?

I was at Centrelink the same day and I showed the e.mail to the pleasant Centrelink lady. Her polite comment:

1. Just say 'no plans at the moment'. I responded as suggested. No further question from Centrelink.

2. *It's a bit counterproductive to ask this question because Australians who return to OZ and claim/receive the OAP can go abroad multiple times in the first 2 year period and many do just that.

And keep in mind that Centrelink has an always live 24/7 link to immigration records of people arriving/departing Australia. And it's continuously scanned to show Centrelink 'customers' but there's no action unless it's an OAP recipient who is spending close to all of their time abroad. Multiple short trips in and out are ignored. 

She also commented 'If you're going to do trips abroad in the first 2 years, which you can, I suggest you never stay out of Oz a full 12 months, or more, in one block of time, that might attract some attention.

She also confirmed that time out of Oz in the 2 year period is still counted in building the 2 year period. In other words, building the 2 year period doesn't stop when you depart and restart when you return.

In reality, because of Covid, I didn't leave Oz at all in the 2 year period.

Perhaps also worth sharing, about 10 days after my 2 years was up I called the 'older Australian Line', as per normal quickly answered, a quick security check and I asked the pleasant lady if she could please confirm that I was now 'eligible for permanent' portability. Her calm reaction, 'sure just let me do a quck check, I need to call up a specific screen which gives me an easy YES or NO answer to your question.

A few seconds later she responded 'YES you're eligible for 'permanent portability' from about 10 days ago.

She continued, do you have any questions what to do next? I mentioned I've done some research on this and I've found some info on the Centrelink site and a couple of public webboards with detailed personal experiences.

She continued, 'well don't hesitate to call this line as many times as needed if you need and clarification'.

Then she mentioned 'have you decided whether to have your benefits transferred by automatic interntional bank transfer to your resident country? I confirmed yes. She continued 'do you have the specific Centrelink document needed to start that?'

She continued 'I'll e.mail it to you anway, and it's a very easy form, just make sure you write the account name and account number in big very clear letters.

I responded 'I'll type a simple Word document with the account names, bank details, account number in very big font, print it and attach it to the completed Centrelink document. She confirmed 'that's a good idea'. She also gave me a different e.mail address to return the completed banking form.

A few days after I sent the form I got a phone call from the international banking section of Centrelink, the polite young man said he must repeat all the details over the phone and ask me to confirm 'all correct'.

He shared that there would be a gap in payments to get me fully  into the 4 weekly cycle and he gave me a date to expect the first transfer into K Bank. It worked.

I must be honest all of the above was by very pleasant discussions, with the Centrelink staff being sure there was no confusuion in any way and that my questions had been fully / clearly answered. 

On 10/2/2022 at 1:21 PM, scorecard said:

I submitted a copy of my rental agreement for an apartment near Sydney plus proof of payment. I was expecting to be asked for more documentary proof but they didn't ask.

I did receive a form e.mail from Centrelink asking If I had any plans to go abroad in the next 12 months*?

I was at Centrelink the same day and I showed the e.mail to the pleasant Centrelink lady. Her polite comment:

1. Just say 'no plans at the moment'. I responded as suggested. No further question from Centrelink.

2. *It's a bit counterproductive to ask this question because Australians who return to OZ and claim/receive the OAP can go abroad multiple times in the first 2 year period and many do just that.

And keep in mind that Centrelink has an always live 24/7 link to immigration records of people arriving/departing Australia. And it's continuously scanned to show Centrelink 'customers' but there's no action unless it's an OAP recipient who is spending close to all of their time abroad. Multiple short trips in and out are ignored. 

She also commented 'If you're going to do trips abroad in the first 2 years, which you can, I suggest you never stay out of Oz a full 12 months, or more, in one block of time, that might attract some attention.

She also confirmed that time out of Oz in the 2 year period is still counted in building the 2 year period. In other words, building the 2 year period doesn't stop when you depart and restart when you return.

In reality, because of Covid, I didn't leave Oz at all in the 2 year period.

Perhaps also worth sharing, about 10 days after my 2 years was up I called the 'older Australian Line', as per normal quickly answered, a quick security check and I asked the pleasant lady if she could please confirm that I was now 'eligible for permanent' portability. Her calm reaction, 'sure just let me do a quck check, I need to call up a specific screen which gives me an easy YES or NO answer to your question.

A few seconds later she responded 'YES you're eligible for 'permanent portability' from about 10 days ago.

She continued, do you have any questions what to do next? I mentioned I've done some research on this and I've found some info on the Centrelink site and a couple of public webboards with detailed personal experiences.

She continued, 'well don't hesitate to call this line as many times as needed if you need and clarification'.

Then she mentioned 'have you decided whether to have your benefits transferred by automatic interntional bank transfer to your resident country? I confirmed yes. She continued 'do you have the specific Centrelink document needed to start that?'

She continued 'I'll e.mail it to you anway, and it's a very easy form, just make sure you write the account name and account number in big very clear letters.

I responded 'I'll type a simple Word document with the account names, bank details, account number in very big font, print it and attach it to the completed Centrelink document. She confirmed 'that's a good idea'. She also gave me a different e.mail address to return the completed banking form.

A few days after I sent the form I got a phone call from the international banking section of Centrelink, the polite young man said he must repeat all the details over the phone and ask me to confirm 'all correct'.

He shared that there would be a gap in payments to get me fully  into the 4 weekly cycle and he gave me a date to expect the first transfer into K Bank. It worked.

I must be honest all of the above was by very pleasant discussions, with the Centrelink staff being sure there was no confusuion in any way and that my questions had been fully / clearly answered. 

Thanks for that.

I hope my going back will be quiet.

Raining BIG again Pattaya. Sois will be flooded.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Thanks for that.

I hope my going back will be quiet.

Raining BIG again Pattaya. Sois will be flooded.

A few more points I guess worth sharing re gaining the OAP:

- Visit any Centrelink office ASAP to get a personal CRN (Centrelink Reference number), take with you several items to help to peove your identity:

- Passport

- Birth certificate

- Second item issued by a gov't org., or similar. They acepted my plastic Thai Drivers License. (county of issue is not relevant).

- Download the:

• - OAP application form  (24 pages, looks daunting but lots of free space and If your single and no complictions re divorce etc., 85% of the questions you can cross out. The approx. 15% of the questions are very straightforward.
  •  
  • - OAP application Assets and Income (A&I) form. If you have money in Thai banks you will need to show this on the A&I form and you need to get a document for each account (in English) for each account with abank stamp. I got these at K bank, nothing difficult. Should include any joint savingsa coount.

- Take the 2 forms above with you when you visit Centrelink. My experienc: the plesant lady asked If I wanted her to look at my forms and make some comments. I said YES.

She looked carefully and said 'your forms are totally complete so I have some suggestions':

- Take the forms home and make a final check then submit the forms yourself by e.mail. or

- If you want I can scan the forms and attachments right now to actually submit them - I SAID YES PLEASE.

The lady did that and their multi-purpose machine added a printed stamped reference  number and she gave the forms back to me.

Don't believe the stoies you'll find on this site about rude, uncoopertive Centrelink officers. Not true.

Don't believe the commnts you'll find tht it takes 3 or 4 months to get the appoval. No true

Mine was approved in less than 3 weeks and that included about 4 day to get a new birth certificate and submit the new refernce numbers (the C'link system to prove ID wouldn't accept my old birth certificate numbers - turned out when th old hand written entries or birth certicate details were computerised there was a data entry mistake. As soon as the problem was realized a new birth certificate was issued and I submitted it). 

As soon as my OAP was approved I got a phone call from a very pleasant young man from C'link who confirmed approval and then crefully explained the details of the first payment (incl., back payment to the date I submiited the application). He also mentioned that the first payment would be deposited the next afternoon. It was, about 2.30pm.

Re the 2 years. It starts from the day your arrive in Australia, NOT from the date you submit your OAP application.

On 10/4/2022 at 5:01 PM, scorecard said:

A few more points I guess worth sharing re gaining the OAP:

- Visit any Centrelink office ASAP to get a personal CRN (Centrelink Reference number), take with you several items to help to peove your identity:

- Passport

- Birth certificate

- Second item issued by a gov't org., or similar. They acepted my plastic Thai Drivers License. (county of issue is not relevant).

- Download the:

• - OAP application form  (24 pages, looks daunting but lots of free space and If your single and no complictions re divorce etc., 85% of the questions you can cross out. The approx. 15% of the questions are very straightforward.
  •  
  • - OAP application Assets and Income (A&I) form. If you have money in Thai banks you will need to show this on the A&I form and you need to get a document for each account (in English) for each account with abank stamp. I got these at K bank, nothing difficult. Should include any joint savingsa coount.

- Take the 2 forms above with you when you visit Centrelink. My experienc: the plesant lady asked If I wanted her to look at my forms and make some comments. I said YES.

She looked carefully and said 'your forms are totally complete so I have some suggestions':

- Take the forms home and make a final check then submit the forms yourself by e.mail. or

- If you want I can scan the forms and attachments right now to actually submit them - I SAID YES PLEASE.

The lady did that and their multi-purpose machine added a printed stamped reference  number and she gave the forms back to me.

Don't believe the stoies you'll find on this site about rude, uncoopertive Centrelink officers. Not true.

Don't believe the commnts you'll find tht it takes 3 or 4 months to get the appoval. No true

Mine was approved in less than 3 weeks and that included about 4 day to get a new birth certificate and submit the new refernce numbers (the C'link system to prove ID wouldn't accept my old birth certificate numbers - turned out when th old hand written entries or birth certicate details were computerised there was a data entry mistake. As soon as the problem was realized a new birth certificate was issued and I submitted it). 

As soon as my OAP was approved I got a phone call from a very pleasant young man from C'link who confirmed approval and then crefully explained the details of the first payment (incl., back payment to the date I submiited the application). He also mentioned that the first payment would be deposited the next afternoon. It was, about 2.30pm.

Re the 2 years. It starts from the day your arrive in Australia, NOT from the date you submit your OAP application.

Further, If you are renting a house or apartment you'll need to submit a full signed rental agreement (all pages) in your name, this will also be used as proof of your domicile address in Australia.

You also need to submit (proof of ID and domicile address) a paid utility bill: electricity, gas landline telephone etc. Mobile phone bills are not ccepted to prove ID or domicile address.

Australian bank statements showing your name and domicile address (must all be the same address) are accepted for ID and domicile address. If you have internet banking, for many banks you can update the address yourself online.

In your Assets and Income statement you need to give details of what property you own in Australia. 

All of the above is automatically 'assessed' during the processing of your OAP application to check if you are entitled to 'Rent Assistance'.

Is you are entitled to Rent Assistance it will be backdated to the date you lodged your OAP application, and the 'Rent Assistance backpay' included in the first payment you receive along with the actul OAP money and energy allowance backdated to the date you applied for the OAP. This first payment is deposited to your nominated bank the day after your OAP has been approved.

• 4 weeks later...

Posted the same link on another thread, but it's more on topic in this one.

The new Labor government will continue on with the proposed changes, but will review the amount of days. 

https://www.afr.com/policy/tax-and-super/assistant-treasurer-flags-new-tax-residency-rules-20220826-p5bd1v

It's more focused on how long you are inside Australia, but the flip side for many expats is how long you are outside Australia.

34 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Posted the same link on another thread, but it's more on topic in this one.

The new Labor government will continue on with the proposed changes, but will review the amount of days. 

https://www.afr.com/policy/tax-and-super/assistant-treasurer-flags-new-tax-residency-rules-20220826-p5bd1v

It's more focused on how long you are inside Australia, but the flip side for many expats is how long you are outside Australia.

Are you a subscriber to AFR?

The article is behind a pay wall

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

If you are using Edge copy the URL to a New InPrivate Window. But I suggest there is nothing in the article to warrant any interest in users of this forum, as is the case for most of the previous trolling posts.

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

If you are using Edge copy the URL to a New InPrivate Window. But I suggest there is nothing in the article to warrant any interest in users of this forum, as is the case for most of the previous trolling posts.

I use Safari and have read the article.

Was interested if KH, the continuous stirrer on this tread had read it.

It has nothing to do with the OAP. He'll be back with his warped reasons why it will affect people living in Thailand receiving the OAP

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

As another member says, you can view it, and even if you can't, the link title and first paragraph, which can be viewed without a subscription, simply shows the current Labor government will pick up where the previous Liberal government left off on these proposed changes. 

I was hoping the new Labor government would disregard the proposed changes. 

55 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

But I suggest there is nothing in the article to warrant any interest in users of this forum

This forum is mainly for expats living in Thailand, with this sub-forum mainly for Australian expats who reside in Thailand on a pension, many of whom may derive an income from other sources as well.  Eg. rent, shares etc.

If you don't see the changing of residency rules for taxation purposes as any interest to readers, well, good luck to you.  ???? 

39 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

It has nothing to do with the OAP. He'll be back with his warped reasons why it will affect people living in Thailand receiving the OAP

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not.  If not, no worries, but if they view it as an income, then there may be some issues for a lot of members.

In any case, there are many members deriving a small income from investments in Australia, whilst also receiving a pension, or part pension, and these changes are very much relevant to them.   

Do you think these members should be excluded from the old age pension thread because they earn a few dollars from other sources? 

Do you think it's "warped" that the income earned in conjunction with their pension is relevant to these proposed changes and this thread? 

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not.  If not, no worries, but if they view it as an income, then there may be some issues for a lot of members.

In any case, there are many members deriving a small income from investments in Australia, whilst also receiving a pension, or part pension, and these changes are very much relevant to them.   

Do you think these members should be excluded from the old age pension thread because they earn a few dollars from other sources? 

Do you think it's "warped" that the income earned in conjunction with their pension is relevant to these proposed changes and this thread? 

2,872 Broken Record Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free ...

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

QUOTE: It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not. "

I recently responded to a commercial advert (not on Asean Now) for a Tax Consultant / tax submission docs preparation agency in Sydney"

I asked if there's any chance any new tax rules could made OAP recipients living abroad have to pay personal Aust. Income tax?

Summary of the agents response:  'There's no guarantee about anything. However for folks who receive the OAP and have no other income and regardless of where they are living the OAP is tax exempt', and same comment for Australian receiving either the DVA administered 'soldiers Pension' or the DVA administered permanent Disability Compensation Allowance (until recently called the Disability Pension). And 'I suggest no Australian Gov't would ever entertain taxing the OAP or DVA payments, where the pensioner receives no other income. All parties would very likely have an attitude that playing with OAP / DVA income would be considered totally inappropriate'.

pensioners inhas always due to pay tax'had an e.

"...   50 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not.   50 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not. 

18 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Now suddenly he's trying to push the angle of OAP and OTHER INCOME.

Nothing new. All OAP recipients who have other income know this is a different scenarion, for tax, compared to folks who receive the full OAP and have no other income, which is tax exempt and will very likely remain tax exempt. 

ENOUGH.........

I submitted a non-lodgment form in July, based on two previous returns where I either got a refund, or paid no tax. I have been in Thailand since February 2020.

Due date for submitting tax returns is October, thus far I have heard nothing. Perhaps it is not due until March next year, when tax accountants are scheduled to submit returns on behalf of clients.

If I get through to April next year without any communication from the ATO, I will conclude the resident troll is talking out of his a##e.

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

But seems this only method works once.

Here is another way.

Tax residency rules: Assistant treasurer hints at changes before October budget (archive.org)

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

QUOTE: It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not. "

I recently responded to a commercial advert (not on Asean Now) for a Tax Consultant / tax submission docs preparation agency in Sydney"

I asked if there's any chance any new tax rules could made OAP recipients living abroad have to pay personal Aust. Income tax?

Summary of the agents response:  'There's no guarantee about anything. However for folks who receive the OAP and have no other income and regardless of where they are living the OAP is tax exempt', and same comment for Australian receiving either the DVA administered 'soldiers Pension' or the DVA administered permanent Disability Compensation Allowance (until recently called the Disability Pension). And 'I suggest no Australian Gov't would ever entertain taxing the OAP or DVA payments, where the pensioner receives no other income. All parties would very likely have an attitude that playing with OAP / DVA income would be considered totally inappropriate'.

pensioners inhas always due to pay tax'had an e.

"...   50 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not.   50 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

It all depends if the government views a pension going to an Australian living overseas as an "income" or not. 

Like I have been continually saying, despite personal attacks, flames, abuse, ridicule etc, I posted the proposed changes as a heads up.

Whatever we have all been doing up to now must be going ok for us because we are all still able to be overseas.  I hope these changes, if or when they come in, have minimal impact.

The key words from the agent for me in your post are, "There's no guarantee about anything."  For me, this tends to diminish the "weight" that can be put on the rest of his advice, at this stage.

Of course, you cherry pick because it suits your narrative, but even the agent can not "guarantee" the outcomes of the proposed changes.

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Now suddenly he's trying to push the angle of OAP and OTHER INCOME.

Nothing new. All OAP recipients who have other income know this is a different scenarion, for tax, compared to folks who receive the full OAP and have no other income, which is tax exempt and will very likely remain tax exempt. 

ENOUGH.........

I'm not pushing anything.

If we took an informal poll of expats on this forum and the question was: "Do you have other forms of income to supplement your pension?" What percentage do you think would say "Yes" as opposed to "No?" Is this thread ONLY for those who say "No?" 

Are you a moderator that decides what each individual member of this forum's pension / income status is, as to whether they are on topic or off topic here?

What about part pensioners?  Are they off topic on this thread?  Is a part pension still not a pension?

I can start a new thread about it, but after 143 pages of varying pension information, I don't see the point. 

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I submitted a non-lodgment form in July, based on two previous returns where I either got a refund, or paid no tax. I have been in Thailand since February 2020.

Due date for submitting tax returns is October, thus far I have heard nothing. Perhaps it is not due until March next year, when tax accountants are scheduled to submit returns on behalf of clients.

If I get through to April next year without any communication from the ATO, I will conclude the resident troll is talking out of his a##e.

Huh?

They are proposed changes.  They haven't been passed yet.  Everyone knows this.

I posted a link to show the new Labor government is going to pick up where the past Liberal government left off, in relation to these proposed changes.  I was hoping Labor would leave them dead in the water.  That's not to be. 

Talk about behind the times?

Is English your first language? 

38 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Feel free to put me on your ignore list. 

I have an alert on the forum as the topic is of interest to me.

If we all put an ignore on you bar one, your unwelcome posts will still trigger an alert if only from the response of the odd one out.

I suggest you just take the hint. Self-restraint can be a wonderful thing especially for others.

29 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Huh?

They are proposed changes.  They haven't been passed yet.  Everyone knows this.

I posted a link to show the new Labor government is going to pick up where the past Liberal government left off, in relation to these proposed changes.  I was hoping Labor would leave them dead in the water.  That's not to be. 

Talk about behind the times?

Is English your first language? 

Are you identifying yourself as the resident troll? Thank you.

As I used to write research reports using terms you would probably have to Google, I think I can say my English is competent. And yes, it is my first language.

Have you heard of the term grandfathering? Here you go:

"A grandfather clause, or legacy clause, is an exemption that allows persons or entities to continue with activities or operations that were approved before the implementation of new rules, regulations, or laws."

IMO pensioners living overseas who have not been taxed as non-resident will continue in that situation. The ATO is not interested in small fry. As I said, I am waiting for April 1 2023.

54 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I'm not pushing anything.

If we took an informal poll of expats on this forum and the question was: "Do you have other forms of income to supplement your pension?" What percentage do you think would say "Yes" as opposed to "No?" Is this thread ONLY for those who say "No?" 

Are you a moderator that decides what each individual member of this forum's pension / income status is, as to whether they are on topic or off topic here?

What about part pensioners?  Are they off topic on this thread?  Is a part pension still not a pension?

I can start a new thread about it, but after 143 pages of varying pension information, I don't see the point. 

As always you try to twist. Bye.

On 11/1/2022 at 5:44 AM, Lacessit said:

Have you heard of the term grandfathering? Here you go:

"A grandfather clause, or legacy clause, is an exemption that allows persons or entities to continue with activities or operations that were approved before the implementation of new rules, regulations, or laws."

Please post a link where you have seen the word "grandfathering" in any of the proposed changes.  I know I haven't. 

I said in another post, "grandfathering" could cause a lot of people to retire before the date these changes take place.  Why would the government want to turn tax payers into tax recipients, over night?  Example, someone wants to retire to Thailand next year, they'll go early so their pension is not taxed.

On 11/1/2022 at 5:44 AM, Lacessit said:

IMO pensioners living overseas who have not been taxed as non-resident will continue in that situation. The ATO is not interested in small fry. As I said, I am waiting for April 1 2023.

Why is your opinion worth more, or less, than my opinion?

I've never said pensions will be taxed at non-resident rates.  I have said they may be taxed at non-resident rates.  Who knows?  It was only a heads up for retired expats, many of whom have other income than just the pension.

I see you are going with "The Paul Hogan Theory."  My point is, the computer data bases will simply scoop up everyone, small fry, large fry, and every fry in between, but pensions may be exempt, or may not be exempt.  Will pensions be deemed as income?  Who knows? 

Many pensioners have some income to supplement their pension, if not current pensioners, certainly future pensioners with some super.  What becomes of that supplementary income if or when these changes come in?

Why 1st April 2023?

Archived