Australian Aged Pension

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I was told the same thing by Centrelink before I moved to Thailand 13 years ago by Centrelink staff who had no idea what they were talking about.

The only centrelink office you can take notice of is based in Hobart who are responsible for pensioners who are O/S, unfortunately it's a bit of a catch 22 due to the fact that they don't in theory take any notice of you until you are permanently O/S - but are fully up to speed on what's what whereas your local CL office don't really know much about it. 

I've just returned to Aus after 13 years in Thailand, I visited the local CL office and told them I was back for good and after much back and forth got my full pension and extra's reinstated, a week or so after this I had a call from Hobart asking if I was back for good which I confirmed.

My advice is, be careful of what your local CL office tells you.         

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

The answer was that you can leave Australia several times, for several weeks, during the 2 years after you have returned from a long absence and it doesn't affect the accumulation of the 2 years and pension doesn't stop unless it's quite prolonged.

The C'link officer did say 'I suggest that in one block period you don't stay away for more than one year, that would cause complications'.

So, you can basically fly in / fly out to qualify, providing you fly in / fly out each year until you qualify.  Sounds too easy.  What's the catch? 

45 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The only centrelink office you can take notice of is based in Hobart who are responsible for pensioners who are O/S, unfortunately it's a bit of a catch 22 due to the fact that they don't in theory take any notice of you until you are permanently O/S - but are fully up to speed on what's what whereas your local CL office don't really know much about it. 

I've just returned to Aus after 13 years in Thailand, I visited the local CL office and told them I was back for good and after much back and forth got my full pension and extra's reinstated, a week or so after this I had a call from Hobart asking if I was back for good which I confirmed.

My advice is, be careful of what your local CL office tells you.         

OK, my earlier comments are from telephone discussions with the C'Link HO in Canberra. In total I had 2 visits to my local regional C'Link office. One visit to prove my identity and get a personal CRN Centrelink Reference no. second visit was for 10 minutes to take my newly issued replacement birth certificate. At this visit the lady checked my application form then with my approval submitted it on line.

All other contact my phone through the Older Australian line which is situated in Canberra.

Let me also share that on the second local personal visit the lady shared that almost everything is now computerised and the various actions are computer generated. This comment followed her initial comment that processing of new applications is now much faster because it's all computerised (I got my first payment 2.5 weeks after submitting the application). 

10 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Why strange?  Just pointing out out quick one's status can change, as seen in the article.  

Still stirring the goo! Nothing  changed.The lottery winner is now receiving an incomeandpension reduced accordingly.

5 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, you can basically fly in / fly out to qualify, providing you fly in / fly out each year until you qualify.  Sounds too easy.  What's the catch? 

That's not what I said and you know it. Again you're trying to find something to cause complications.

I'm heading back in May for the 2 years. Annual permission to stay  Thailand will be good for 12 months.

Only 65 so not eligible for pension until 67.

Hobart CL have been most helpful.

It does sound that CL can be a bit like Thai IO, rules/interpretations vary.

Anyhow, my Plan A is to advise I am back for good. My CV ( having lived here for 10 years) is not worthy of the paper it is printed on (hopefully that will work in my favour.)

Not sure how jobseeker or whatever will assist.????????

6 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I'm heading back in May for the 2 years. Annual permission to stay  Thailand will be good for 12 months.

Anyhow, my Plan A is to advise I am back for good. My CV ( having lived here for 10 years) is not worthy of the paper it is printed on (hopefully that will work in my favour.)

Good points, let me cut and paste a comment I made a few minutes ago:

"Let me also share that on the second local personal visit the lady shared that almost everything is now computerised (all in Canberra) and the various actions are computer generated. This comment followed her initial comment that processing of new applications is now much faster because it's all computerised (I got my first payment 2.5 weeks after submitting the application)."

4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

That's not what I said and you know it. Again you're trying to find something to cause complications.

No, I'm not.  The key word is "prolonged" which you said was 1 year.  So, fly back to Oz, put your papers in, get approved, fly back to Thailand, fly back to Oz within 12 months, fly out again, and fly back to Oz within the second 12 month period and you have qualified for portability. 

Based on the information in your previous post, this can be done.  It either can be, or it can't be.  Which one is it? 

3 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, you agree with me.  His status changed real quick.

What else would you expect? 

C'Link is responsible to organize pay out of millions of OZ taxpayers dollars, they did what they're responsible for, nothing more / nothing less. 

6 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

No, I'm not.  The key word is "prolonged" which you said was 1 year.  So, fly back to Oz, put your papers in, get approved, fly back to Thailand, fly back to Oz within 12 months, fly out again, and fly back to Oz within the second 12 month period and you have qualified for portability. 

Based on the information in your previous post, this can be done.  It either can be, or it can't be.  Which one is it? 

As I believe I indicated the C'Link lady was making a bit of a joke rather than stating a specific policy. Also, as I stated the C'Link lady mentioned there is a policy on this subject but it's deliberately not fully revealed. She also mentioned that there can be several absences in a year for several weeks without causing any problems in establishing the 2 years.

You're a pain in the ass.

13 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Sounds like you're well prepared.

Good luck. 

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

As I believe I indicated the C'Link lady was making a bit of a joke rather than stating a specific policy.

You're a pain in the ass.

No, I'm not a pain in the ass.  Just looking for some facts, not jokes from Centerlink. 

Does anyone know how long you can be out of Oz, either in total, or in one trip, during the 2 year qualifying period? 

Just now, KhunHeineken said:

No, I'm not a pain in the ass.  Just looking for some facts, not jokes from Centerlink. 

Does anyone know how long you can be out of Oz, either in total, or in one trip, during the 2 year qualifying period? 

Why don't you call them and ask. But perhaps not a good idea, it seems you don't believe what they say. So perhaps better to fly to Hobart and visit their office with a videooperater to record your discussion.

4 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

This link provides 'Guides to Social Policy Law','Social Security Guide'

updated 20/03/2020

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

From my dealing some years back, no you can't. 

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Why don't you call them and ask. But perhaps not a good idea, it seems you don't believe what they say. So perhaps better to fly to Hobart and visit their office with a videooperater to record your discussion.

You can personally attack me all you like, but on such an important subject for many, how about we stick to some facts, not jokes from some call center lady from Centerlink.

Do you know the answer to my question?  Yes, or no? 

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sounds like you're well prepared.

Good luck. 

I try to stay positive by thinking of all the unlucky expats etc who got stuck outside of Thailand for 2.5+ years during Covid and possibly had to start the whole process again.????????

12 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

This link provides 'Guides to Social Policy Law','Social Security Guide'

updated 20/03/2020

https://guides.dss.gov.au/social-security-guide/7/1/4

Thanks. 

"A short absence from Australia (as long as the person is still classed as an Australian resident) will not impact on the end date of the 2-year period (i.e. the absence still counts towards the person's 2-year period)."

Would be interested to know what is a "short absence." 

"Since 20 September 2000, a former resident who returns to Australia and is granted Age or DSP, or who transfers to Age under SS(Admin)Act section 12, cannot take that pension outside Australia if they leave within 2 years of having resumed residence in Australia. The purpose of this legislation is to discourage people from travelling to Australia just to get an Australian pension to take back overseas."

This tends to go against the "short absence" clause. 

27 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

So, you agree with me.  His status changed real quick.

Status is your word.When I  first got OAP I continued working, declared  the amount ea f/n, if under threshold received full pension, if over it was reduced.Lotto winner same. No change to my "status" lol.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I try to stay positive by thinking of all the unlucky expats etc who got stuck outside of Thailand for 2.5+ years during Covid and possibly had to start the whole process again.????????

Me too, but I was a bit lucky, I have Thai PR (25 years), the Thai gov't issued an order that re-entry expiry dates that had expired were continued. I got back in on a waiver. All processed in a few minutes at the passport desk at swampy.   

Archived