Australian Aged Pension

Here is my story on the 2 year period of restricted o/seas travel and impact on your pension.

Guess my story is similar in part to some of what has been reported her.

I returned to Australia after 6 years overseas a few months after I turned 65 and having been an Australian resident for nearly 60 of my 65 years I was entitled to a pension. I was accompanied back by my wife who now has a permanent visa for Aust. and being younger is classed as being a contributor to income, she has a very modest bank account o/seas and no property of other income(actually she is a full time PhD student). I have no overseas income or interests so was granted a partial pension as I own a local investment property as well as a home in which we live, an old car and a few hundred dollars worth of furniture etc. and a modest bank account - so nothing unusual and I considered the pension granted was within the guide lines etc etc. However, as I had been overseas for 6 years I was assessed as having to stay in Australia for the next 2 years otherwise I would lose my pension.

At the time I protested this decision but was advised in writing from the local CL office that this was the rule and that was that. I therefore started looking into the rules and the Act and found that I thought was their error. To cut the story short, I had two exchanges of letters plus phone calls with CL to still be told that – NO – cannot leave the country without it affecting your pension (not cancel but suspend payments – plus all the involved paper work). A short time later, I needed to go to the CL office to report some financial changes so I took the opportunity to raise the issue with the CL officer at the time- she had a good listen to what I had to say, looked at the earlier letters from myself and CL and asked if I wanted to request an official review by a senior officer to which I agreed.

My request for review was, I considered myself to be a resident of Australia on an extended o/seas holiday; I had property in Aust., paid local taxes, maintained medical insurance, returned to Aust. on a regular basis, didn't have permanent residency in any other country, didn't own any property and didn't have any income from o/seas.

This was put straight into the system via the CL computer and was advised I would have an answer within 30 days – plus the CL officer also told me that she would be very interested in the outcome. About 3.5 weeks after this went into the system, I received a phone call for a CL officer saying she was the senior officer reviewing my request; she had a couple of questions for me. A few days later she called back to tell me my request for a review was successful and I was to be classified as a full time resident and the 2 year period didn't apply.

So if you are in a similar situation – do not accept the local CL office decision, fight it – ask for an official review by a senior officer but have your fact right with the necessary documentation.

Artisi.

GREAT review, i am in the exact same position but only been outside oz for 3 years, i have to go to oz in May to claim oap so i will do as you did if i have aproblem.

Thanks Again for this post.

All the best.

Graeme.

Good luck, take the view that you haven't been trying to cheat the system, you were o/s for a good reason - married o/s, getting over a nasty divorce, needed a change but always consider Aust to be home etc etc. stick with it and ask for an independant review if you are getting nowhere.

Here is my story on the 2 year period of restricted o/seas travel and impact on your pension.

I returned to Australia after 6 years overseas a few months after I turned 65 and having been an Australian resident for nearly 60 of my 65 years I was entitled to a pension. I was accompanied back by my wife who now has a permanent visa for Aust. and being younger is classed as being a contributor to income, she has a very modest bank account o/seas and no property of other income(actually she is a full time PhD student). I have no overseas income or interests so was granted a partial pension as I own a local investment property as well as a home in which we live, an old car and a few hundred dollars worth of furniture etc. and a modest bank account - so nothing unusual and I considered the pension granted was within the guide lines etc etc. However, as I had been overseas for 6 years I was assessed as having to stay in Australia for the next 2 years otherwise I would lose my pension.

At the time I protested this decision but was advised in writing from the local CL office that this was the rule and that was that. I therefore started looking into the rules and the Act and found that I thought was their error. To cut the story short, I had two exchanges of letters plus phone calls with CL to still be told that NO cannot leave the country without it affecting your pension (not cancel but suspend payments plus all the involved paper work). A short time later, I needed to go to the CL office to report some financial changes so I took the opportunity to raise the issue with the CL officer at the time- she had a good listen to what I had to say, looked at the earlier letters from myself and CL and asked if I wanted to request an official review by a senior officer to which I agreed.

My request for review was, I considered myself to be a resident of Australia on an extended o/seas holiday; I had property in Aust., paid local taxes, maintained medical insurance, returned to Aust. on a regular basis, didn't have permanent residency in any other country, didn't own any property and didn't have any income from o/seas.

This was put straight into the system via the CL computer and was advised I would have an answer within 30 days plus the CL officer also told me that she would be very interested in the outcome. About 3.5 weeks after this went into the system, I received a phone call for a CL officer saying she was the senior officer reviewing my request; she had a couple of questions for me. A few days later she called back to tell me my request for a review was successful and I was to be classified as a full time resident and the 2 year period didn't apply.

So if you are in a similar situation do not accept the local CL office decision, fight it ask for an official review by a senior officer but have your fact right with the necessary documentation.

Hi Artisi.

I read your post with interest as i am in the same boat, the only difference is i do not own property( lost it in a divorce settlement), do not pay taxes, no midical insurance.

But i am still on the electoral roll, go home evry year for 3 months, have a drivers licence, when i leave australia i fill in the departure card resident departing temporarily, and when i come back i say resident returning permanantly.

I wanted to ask you WHAT was the couple of questions they asked you in your review.

Thanks for any help.

Just to add to all the confusion over aged pension payments.

I was in Aus in October and I went to Centrelink to try and find out what the rules are. I was told I would be eligible for the full pension but that I would not be eligible for payments until 2 years AFTER I turned 65. In other words for people who were living overseas before the age of 65 and who re entered the country to make the application, then returned to their overseas home, payments would not begin for 2 years.

Of course we have also had a change of goverment so who knows what changes to the existing legislation are in store.

Sorry but this is wrong, if you have lived outside Australia and then apply for the aged pension you CAN NOT live outside Australia for 2 years, but you still get paid from the date you turn 65.

Yes this is correct, you can get the pension but not live outside oz for 2 years.

BUT there is a way around this if you still go back to oz and have a place to stay, still vote and have a current drivers licence.

BUT YOU MUST SAY YOU HAVE BEEN ON A EXTENDED HOLIDAY.

DO NOT SAY YOU LIVE HERE.

wai.gif

Just to add to all the confusion over aged pension payments.

I was in Aus in October and I went to Centrelink to try and find out what the rules are. I was told I would be eligible for the full pension but that I would not be eligible for payments until 2 years AFTER I turned 65. In other words for people who were living overseas before the age of 65 and who re entered the country to make the application, then returned to their overseas home, payments would not begin for 2 years.

Of course we have also had a change of goverment so who knows what changes to the existing legislation are in store.

Sorry but this is wrong, if you have lived outside Australia and then apply for the aged pension you CAN NOT live outside Australia for 2 years, but you still get paid from the date you turn 65.

If Centrelink decide that you are to be considered a former resident, ie, have been out of the country for too long, you can be paid the pension (if you meet the criteria) but can not leave again for 2 years and still maintain the pension. There is a provision that you can leave and the pension stops and on your return the 2 years restarts - for me it was a bit of a grey-area and subject to two many if's, but's, maybe's and how the centrelink staff felt on the day.

At the time I protested this decision but was advised in writing from the local CL office that this was the rule and that was that. I therefore started looking into the rules and the Act and found that I thought was their error. To cut the story short, I had two exchanges of letters plus phone calls with CL to still be told that – NO – cannot leave the country without it affecting your pension (not cancel but suspend payments – plus all the involved paper work). A short time later, I needed to go to the CL office to report some financial changes so I took the opportunity to raise the issue with the CL officer at the time- she had a good listen to what I had to say, looked at the earlier letters from myself and CL and asked if I wanted to request an official review by a senior officer to which I agreed.

This was put straight into the system via the CL computer and was advised I would have an answer within 30 days – plus the CL officer also told me that she would be very interested in the outcome. About 3.5 weeks after this went into the system, I received a phone call for a CL officer saying she was the senior officer reviewing my request; she had a couple of questions for me. A few days later she called back to tell me my request for a review was successful and I was to be classified as a full time resident and the 2 year period didn't apply.

So if you are in a similar situation – do not accept the local CL office decision, fight it – ask for an official review by a senior officer but have your fact right with the necessary documentation.

Hi Artisi.

I read your post with interest as i am in the same boat, the only difference is i do not own property( lost it in a divorce settlement), do not pay taxes, no midical insurance.

But i am still on the electoral roll, go home evry year for 3 months, have a drivers licence, when i leave australia i fill in the departure card resident departing temporarily, and when i come back i say resident returning permanantly.

I wanted to ask you WHAT was the couple of questions they asked you in your review.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry too far back now, but from memory - fairly simple questions - like , do you own any o/s property? do you have o/s residency status?

Admit to nothing - just be an ordinary Aussie guy who have been o/s on long holidays.

Hi Artisi.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry too far back now, but from memory - fairly simple questions - like , do you own any o/s property? do you have o/s residency status?

Admit to nothing - just be an ordinary Aussie guy who have been o/s on long holidays.

Thanks Artisi.

I hope i am lucky like you were.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I just wanted to alert readers to an Oz Gov't consultative process called "Australia in the Asian Century".

Read about it here: http://asiancentury.dpmc.gov.au They are asking for submissions - the deadline is 26 February 2012

If you are not happy with the treatment of government benefits for Australians living in Asia for all or extended parts of the year then say what you think, in a forum where your views and experiences may count. Submissions need only be a page long. Be pro-active and take this opportunity to try to get some positive changes happening.

I am working on my own submission right now and if it is of any use to you as a source of ideas then you are welcome to take a look here:

www.burning-bison.com/submission.doc

Cheers

CMB

Edited by chiangmaibruce

this is an edited peice l got in an email ,, l am not sure of the source or its validity,,,,

BENEFITS AUSTRALIAN AGED ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES

PENSIONER LIVING IN AUSTRALIA

weekly allowance $253.00 $472.50

weekly spouse allowance $56.00 $472.50

additional weekly

hardship allowance $0.00 $145.00

l cant verify this ,, but it would not surprise me ,,, if it is correct ,, its a bloody disgrace

that didn't come out quite as l wanted ,,,, the first figure is what is paid to OAP ,, the second is what is paid to illegal immigrants/refugees in Australia

G'day egg,

I also saw this somewhere and feeling rather incensed, sent a copy to my fed MP Wyatt Roy, asking him to comment.

His reply was that this is completely incorrect. They get no more than Australian pensioners.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

New here but have been reading posts on this forum for a while as I live in Thailand and turned 61 recently. I have been here for 6 years and, here is the difference, I have been working as an International School teacher since my retirement from secondary teaching back OZ after 33 odd years with an Education Department in OZ. Income here has been good and I will qualify for the OAP full amount as my superannuation was eaten up by a financial settlement with my ex wife and she got the house in OZ as well.

So I am different I think because I have been earning my income and in doing so have had to reside in another country. I pay tax here but intend to return to OZ before I am 65 if the Thai teaching opportunities dry up (bugger all the fit, cheap younger teachers taking our places - old geezers that is).

To cut to the chase, would I be exempt from the 2 year qualifying rule if I inform C/L of the above and that I always considered myself an OZ resident on an extended work contract overseas and never ever wanted to settle there?

Any thoughts from the gifted and knowledgable regular posters would be greatly appreciated.

Difficult one me thinks.

I'll leave it to some of the Bush Lawyers, only to say, I don't think you will get past first base without the need to do have your fast thinking hat on!

Reason I say that, I just informed C/L in person of an 8 week holiday to Thailand re my Pension.

The officer (reading from her screen) asked me to answer the following question: Do you consider yourself to be an Australian Resident, yes or no?..............Of course I answered in the affirmative, but considered this event rather strange.

It must show on my file that I take extended holidays to Thailand each year and am married to a Thai.

Edited by fishhooks
  • Like 1

Thanks Fishhooks

I appreciate your 50/50 feel for my predicament.

Clearly there must be others who have returned after working overseas for years leading up to applying for the OAP at 65.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how C/L views this situation of working OS but still chosing to remain a resident of Australia.

Earning an income and working OS must be considered differently to just living OS in terms of OAP resident requirements.

Hi Guys

New here but have been reading posts on this forum for a while as I live in Thailand and turned 61 recently. I have been here for 6 years and, here is the difference, I have been working as an International School teacher since my retirement from secondary teaching back OZ after 33 odd years with an Education Department in OZ. Income here has been good and I will qualify for the OAP full amount as my superannuation was eaten up by a financial settlement with my ex wife and she got the house in OZ as well.

So I am different I think because I have been earning my income and in doing so have had to reside in another country. I pay tax here but intend to return to OZ before I am 65 if the Thai teaching opportunities dry up (bugger all the fit, cheap younger teachers taking our places - old geezers that is).

To cut to the chase, would I be exempt from the 2 year qualifying rule if I inform C/L of the above and that I always considered myself an OZ resident on an extended work contract overseas and never ever wanted to settle there?

Any thoughts from the gifted and knowledgable regular posters would be greatly appreciated.

I'll have a crack at this ozbrew.

From what I can gather, one of the things you have to provide to Centrelink is ties to Australia.

It doesn't seem that you have a residence. What type of tax do you pay?

What are your assets and family in Australia? What was your intent when you left Oz, did you sell up everything?

How often have you returned to Australia?

I think all of these things are taken into account so maybe you can provide a bit more information and can get

a more thorough answer?

Regards

Will

ozbrew, the short of it is they would reject you on the grounds of residency, you are 61 now so you have a few years before your entitled to your OAP. A lot of things can happen in that time, change of gov, policy etc. I'm involved with a group of pensioners who are fighting the gov over this very issue plus some others. For instance the Australian Gov has different rules for residency on taxation, medicare, centrelink etc. I called the Immigration Dept & they could not answer as to why the difference in rules.

Ring up Centrelink and ask them now, then you know what to expect.

http://www.centrelin...ternational.htm

There's a reverse charges number in there somewhere.

They don't always reply to emails. (Mine anyway..... cool.png ).

Even when they do answer emails,they are very brief and rarely answer what you are asking.

They quote the current 'crap of the century' statement as to "Privacy Reasons"

Thanks Fishhooks

I appreciate your 50/50 feel for my predicament.

Clearly there must be others who have returned after working overseas for years leading up to applying for the OAP at 65.

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how C/L views this situation of working OS but still chosing to remain a resident of Australia.

Earning an income and working OS must be considered differently to just living OS in terms of OAP resident requirements.

You are confusing residency and citizenship,

You chose to reside outside Oz so you have not been a resident even though you retain your citizenship.

The residency regulations pertain solely to residency as your Oz citizenship is a given to even be entitled to OAP.

As sceagudenga said ,it will cost you zilch to ring them and find out from the horses mouth ,where you stand.

There is a definite new recognition program being tried out by centrelink, IE the recognition and investigation of pensioners who are frequent overseas travellers,we have just come back from 2 weeks in vietnam, we informed centrelink 4 weeks before to inform them we would be leaving, the reply was ,you will have to come in for a little chat, everything about us was put in question, why were we travelling, why so often ,did we really consider ourselves as australian citizens, were we happy here,and how we managed to finance our frequent trips, in the last 7 years we have spent a total of 11 months over seas, 6 months of which were 2x3 month trips to europe, the rest of the time was split up in 9 budget trips to asia,the young clown doing the interview, found it hard to understand the idea of actually saving!!being non drinkers and non smokers,and apart from a tiny mortgage absolutely NO DEBTS,of course houseswap helps to keep the costs down, we arrived back on the 22nd ,reported in personally at centrelink toowoomba 10.30 thursday morning, surprise surprise! this morning at 8am 2 suits at the front door from centrelink just checking that we it actually was us that had checked in at CL toowoomba yesterday,I really dont know how this is going to go on , has anyone else experienced anything like this??

There is a definite new recognition program being tried out by centrelink, IE the recognition and investigation of pensioners who are frequent overseas travellers,we have just come back from 2 weeks in vietnam, we informed centrelink 4 weeks before to inform them we would be leaving, the reply was ,you will have to come in for a little chat, everything about us was put in question, why were we travelling, why so often ,did we really consider ourselves as australian citizens, were we happy here,and how we managed to finance our frequent trips, in the last 7 years we have spent a total of 11 months over seas, 6 months of which were 2x3 month trips to europe, the rest of the time was split up in 9 budget trips to asia,the young clown doing the interview, found it hard to understand the idea of actually saving!!being non drinkers and non smokers,and apart from a tiny mortgage absolutely NO DEBTS,of course houseswap helps to keep the costs down, we arrived back on the 22nd ,reported in personally at centrelink toowoomba

10.30 thursday morning, surprise surprise! this morning at 8am 2 suits at the front door from centrelink just checking that we it actually was us that had checked in at CL toowoomba yesterday,I really dont know how this is going to go on , has anyone else experienced anything like this??

You should have told them to make an appointment and come back another day. [ as he stands there in the nude ]

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult one me thinks.

I'll leave it to some of the Bush Lawyers, only to say, I don't think you will get past first base without the need to do have your fast thinking hat on!

Reason I say that, I just informed C/L in person of an 8 week holiday to Thailand re my Pension.

The officer (reading from her screen) asked me to answer the following question: Do you consider yourself to be an Australian Resident, yes or no?..............Of course I answered in the affirmative, but considered this event rather strange.

It must show on my file that I take extended holidays to Thailand each year and am married to a Thai.

Whatever you do. Do NOT apply at your local centrelink (been there, done that) You need to apply by phone to the "Overseas Pensions Office" I am not sure where it is now, but a couple of years ago it was in Adelaide. I had an horrendous time with my local centrelink (Caboolture Qld) who told me that my pension would be stopped after x number of weeks. When i finally got on to the OPO i was told not to take any notice of them as they have no idea. He took my particulars and called back in 2 hours..........Everything is ok, your pension will be payed into your bank fortnightly less the health and phone benifits. Just make sure you inform your local centrelink if you arrive back in oz and let them know when you leave again. That was 2 yrs ago and i have had no problems since. I go back every 15 mths to renew my Non imm 'O' visa.

I understand that the OP office is in Hobart - not that this matters.

Is your pension paid into a bank account in Thailand? If so, what bank charges do you have to pay?

Thanks in advance.

Yes and yes, pension is converted to thai baht at the international exchange rate prevailing at the time of transmission , Centrelink pays all costs associated with transfer,funds available in your thai bank about 5 days after pay date.

Note that pension is paid from Centrelink in Thai baht.

Thanks a lot for your response.

So you incur no bank charges, not even those of the receiving bank, which tend to be about 500 baht. This is certainly good news.

What is the exchange rate like? Is it close to what you would receive from your Thai bank, or is it more like the rather unfavourable rates normally given by Australian banks?

• 3 weeks later...

I could be wrong but the way I see it is the difference in the cross rate fome any bank in Aus.

works out at more than the fees for a TT

My Bank charges $20.00 and Bangkok Bank 200bht on a transfer of $1000.00

Cross rate today at BB was 31.745 and my bank was 29.745bht so the difference wood be

20x31.745 = 634.90bht + 200bht Total 834.90bht

Difference in cross rate 2000bht so you are in front by 1365bht.

Hope this helps

I could be wrong but the way I see it is the difference in the cross rate fome any bank in Aus.

Cross rate today at BB was 31.745 and my bank was 29.745bht so the difference wood be

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice KevJohn, when i go back to Brisbane in june, i will arrange for my pension to be paid into my Thai bank rather than my Commonwealth account.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice KevJohn, when i go back to Brisbane in june, i will arrange for my pension to be paid into my Thai bank rather than my Commonwealth account.

oldsailer35

I'm sorrt that my reply has confused you.

I think that it is better for you to transfer A$ to you bank in Thailand than have Centrelink do it for you.

On the example above you get 2000bht more for your dollar from BB and it ony cost approx. 835bht to transfer.

That is why you are 1365bht better off.

When in Aus do check with Centrelink

Pm me and I will give you my contact Number so that you can call me if you wish

Edited by kevjohn

Not mathematically correct, CBA charges $AUD22 fee.Bangkok Bank 250Baht international fee plus 50Baht Telex Bangkok to any province.

Any of the big 4 banks in Australia and particularly CBA do not deal direct with Thai banks anymore, so you do not get the FOREX cross rate. They transfer to Citibank Bangkok where the cross rate for "Thai Cental Bank" is used then they charge afee to move it to your Thai bank in Bangkok.

On $AUD10,000 I got a cross rate of 0.82 Baht less than Bangkok Bank cross rate, thats how I found these little tricks out after a complaint to HO Forex Manager Bangkok as I believed in the myth about transferring a $AUD rather than using CBA Baht cross rate.

Now all money comes as cash goes to S&K Money Changer in Loh Kroh road then to Bangkok Bank Taphae Road. Only way to jump over the sharks.

Not mathematically correct, CBA charges $AUD22 fee.Bangkok Bank 250Baht international fee plus 50Baht Telex Bangkok to any province.

Any of the big 4 banks in Australia and particularly CBA do not deal direct with Thai banks anymore, so you do not get the FOREX cross rate. They transfer to Citibank Bangkok where the cross rate for "Thai Cental Bank" is used then they charge afee to move it to your Thai bank in Bangkok.

On $AUD10,000 I got a cross rate of 0.82 Baht less than Bangkok Bank cross rate, thats how I found these little tricks out after a complaint to HO Forex Manager Bangkok as I believed in the myth about transferring a $AUD rather than using CBA Baht cross rate.

Now all money comes as cash goes to S&K Money Changer in Loh Kroh road then to Bangkok Bank Taphae Road. Only way to jump over the sharks.

I bank with St George and they send direct to BB.

However, a frend of mine was going to send money from the Commonwealth but they would not send A$.

They wanted to change to US$ and then send US$ to BB. This was going to cost him as there was 2 changes

1: A$ to US$

2: US$ to THB

This is why I told oldsailor35 to check, with Centrelink, when he is in Aus

Hi! All

I have been in contact with Centrelink Overseas

re the exchange rate when sending pensions to an

Overseas bank account.

They tell me that they use the Reserve Bank exchange rate.

To compare these rates against the BB rates for the last 3 days

18th 19th 20th

Reserve bank: 32.05 32.00 31.95

Bangkok Bank: 31.7525 31.745 31.585

So, looking at these figures it may be better to have your payments

Directly deposited to your overseas account.

I do feel, that anyone who is looking at this option, should ring

Centrelink Overseas and talk to them.

This is the link to all the contact numbers at Centrelink Australia.

http://www.centrelin...ct_us/index.htm

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by kevjohn