Australian Aged Pension

My Thai wife will be 54 yo when I apply for the OAP, would she be deemed to be earning a living at that age, my wife hasn't done one days paid work since I met her five years ago.

I think at the moment they are letting women retire earlier, not get the pension, but not be considered "of working age". Of course it is like Thailand, your mileage may vary.

OK - simply, how many years must you work in Australia to be eligible for the aged pension. Do jobs at part time jobs at highschool when you were 15 count on the clock? Or does it have nothing to do with how many years you've worked, but rather, how many years you've lived on OZ?

Would be interested to know.

My guess would be tax returns for an OAP, the high school jobs were probably "cashies", if they were with the likes of Coles who put you through the books you might have a chance.

In this case I am in the dark stuff as a few returns I put in had negative income, no tax that year. :o

They’d probably have you arrested as a vagrant and throw you in jail!

Free rent, free food, free medical cover – not so bad!

bgood your post shows a complete lack of knowledge, of the reality in Australia, When I was their, I met dozens of pensioner and welfare recipients who lived from one payment to the next.

In this case I am in the dark stuff as a few returns I put in had negative income, no tax that year.

Chang_paarp How much tax or how little tax you paid is completely irrelevant, to obtaining the aged pension in Australia or how many years worked, several previous post have acknowledged this, it is based on years residence. iignoramus if you are still following string. can you confirm this.

The area which I find confusing is how CL can deem that you're on an extended holiday or you live in Thailand. In my case I lived in Australia for 59 consecutive years, I've been on an extended holiday in Thailand for the past 5 years, returning to Australia for one month every year. I have no property or assets in Thailand, I own a home and a car in Australia and I still pay monthly accounts there for services in my name, I've never stated to any government department that I'm a resident of Thailand, on my departure card I've always stated that I will be returning to Australia in the future. I know these laws were designed to stop the practice of people from other countries working the minimum years in Australia and then returning to the countries of their origin and living on the Aust OAP but surely it's about time Aust governments started protecting their own people, make the residential qualifying period 30 years or more if need be but a person who is qualified for the OAP should receive the pension irrespective of where they live.

• Like 1

The area which I find confusing is how CL can deem that you're on an extended holiday or you live in Thailand. In my case I lived in Australia for 59 consecutive years, I've been on an extended holiday in Thailand for the past 5 years, returning to Australia for one month every year. I have no property or assets in Thailand, I own a home and a car in Australia and I still pay monthly accounts there for services in my name, I've never stated to any government department that I'm a resident of Thailand, on my departure card I've always stated that I will be returning to Australia in the future. I know these laws were designed to stop the practice of people from other countries working the minimum years in Australia and then returning to the countries of their origin and living on the Aust OAP but surely it's about time Aust governments started protecting their own people, make the residential qualifying period 30 years or more if need be but a person who is qualified for the OAP should receive the pension irrespective of where they live.

You have not cut economic and cultural ties with Australia, and you return each year.

roskruge, I’m sorry if my comment caused offence.

It was meant ‘tongue in cheek’ and aimed at a possible lack of compassion shown by some public servants and government officials in Oz.

I’m sure that the dozens of people you met in Oz when you were their (sic) are truly deserving of our sympathy. :o

Are you a Resident? From the ATO website.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content....mp;st=&cy=1

Look at it this way,when you apply at 65 have you resided in Australia for 25 years prior to application (for a full pension) or 10 years prior to application for a part pension?

If you have only resided for 20 years prior to year 65 you may still get the full pension, as long as you have not cut your economic and cultural ties.

There are many well known Australians that have lived and worked overseas for 30 years or more and they are only Australian due to the fact that they still hold an Australian passport, they have cut all ties with Australia.

Each application may be different, contact Centrelink in person if you can.

I know of one person who is residing in Thailand that is a British passport holder, came to Australia when he was 16, resided for 25 years, and has been living in Thailand for the last 14 years. He lost his permanent resident status in Australia over 10 years ago. He will not be able to get an Australian pension or a UK one as far as is known.

This is an important topic. Any one here who is in this situation should contact their federal member of parliament - I've spoken to Linsay Tanner - and put pressure on them. If enough people do this something will be done. Another one is the Disability Pension - only paid overseas for 13 weeks - as Tanner said it seems to be a waste of time to return to Australia show your passport to a CL officer, then ring or go in the next day to tell them you are leaving again.

The act is quiet simple, if you're 65 and QUALIFY for a pension it is granted subject to the normal asset and income provisions.

If you have lived overseas for a period when you can get tied-up in the "portabilty" rules this means you can't leave Australia for a period of 2 years from the date your pension is granted without some inpact on your pension or cancellation entirely in some cases. It is case by case depending on you're circumstances - it is not cut and dried but if you feel that you have remained an Aussi - ie, maintained properety, bank accounts, medical insurance, paid taxes and visited back and forth etc, you stand a good chance of being exempted from the portabilty provisions - but you might have to fight for it and put up a good case.

Are you a Resident? From the ATO website.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content....mp;st=&cy=1

Look at it this way,when you apply at 65 have you resided in Australia for 25 years prior to application (for a full pension) or 10 years prior to application for a part pension?

If you have only resided for 20 years prior to year 65 you may still get the full pension, as long as you have not cut your economic and cultural ties.

There are many well known Australians that have lived and worked overseas for 30 years or more and they are only Australian due to the fact that they still hold an Australian passport, they have cut all ties with Australia.

Each application may be different, contact Centrelink in person if you can.

I know of one person who is residing in Thailand that is a British passport holder, came to Australia when he was 16, resided for 25 years, and has been living in Thailand for the last 14 years. He lost his permanent resident status in Australia over 10 years ago. He will not be able to get an Australian pension or a UK one as far as is known.

This is for Taxation considerations and wouldn't necessarily apply to your application for an aged pension - different department different rules.

Similar to my story - that's why I fought it and at the end of the day was successful.

Great topic and well worth keeping going, hopefully with more practical experiences in line with the subject. I'm a couple of years off but am quite willing to put pen to paper in the name of a "fair go"

Also good to see only one negative response from someone obviously bored and wanting to hammer the keyboard.

If the Aust Department of Immigration in Bangkok weren't so anti Thai women then maybe we would go back to Australia to live thus solving the problem. In the departments eyes Thailand is the only country in the World where bar girls and prostitutes operate, thanks to the mass hysteria whipped up over the years by the likes of Willissee, Martin, Hinch and Co who persue a good story irrespective if it's true or not. I stress that us Aussies born and bred in Aust deserve better treatment, my current marriage is my first and I've never received one cent from the countrys coffers, I paid large taxes all my working life, the country found it no problem to send me to Vietnam in 1966 as a national serviceman, all I want in my retirement is to be treated like any other Australian and surely we can choose where with live without all these spanners getting thrown into the works. If CL is so fixed on benefit cheats from other countries then let them sort out the guilty parties without persecuting the genuine people, CL's attitude appears to be that if they penalise everyone then it's a quick fix for their problems, it's like saying from now on no more driving licences will be issued and then that will be a quick fix to the road toll, flexibility and compassion aren't CL's strongest suits.

Mason45

"If the Aust Department of Immigration in Bangkok weren't so anti Thai women then maybe we would go back to Australia to live thus solving the problem."

Can't agree with this comment, my wife is Thai and we didn't have any problems, other than collecting all the necessary paperwork required to apply for a visa - granted within about 4 weeks of applying and later (2years) converted to a permanent residency visa 2 weeks after submitting the paper work.

If you have a legal marrriage and can show it is not a marriage of convenience for the sake of a visa there is no reason why your wife wouldn't be granted a visa.

Mason45

"If the Aust Department of Immigration in Bangkok weren't so anti Thai women then maybe we would go back to Australia to live thus solving the problem."

Can't agree with this comment, my wife is Thai and we didn't have any problems, other than collecting all the necessary paperwork required to apply for a visa - granted within about 4 weeks of applying and later (2years) converted to a permanent residency visa 2 weeks after submitting the paper work.

If you have a legal marrriage and can show it is not a marriage of convenience for the sake of a visa there is no reason why your wife wouldn't be granted a visa.

Artisi, how old were you and your wife when she applied for a spouse visa, as we get older do you think age can be a factor, whether a spouse visa is issued or not. I'm 63 yo now and my wife is 52 yo, we were legally married in Bangkok, on previous hoilday visa applications the Australian Embassy staff always demanded that we produce our wedding photos and when I told them that we never had a Buddhist Wedding or a party that follows consequently there's no photos they got rather stroppy, I thought a wedding certificate was accepted in every country of the World, why do I have to prove my relationship even though I'm legally married. Proof of relationship was really brought about by Buddhist weddings which are really defacto by foreign law where there's no documents or legal binding. I think it maybe better for us to sell up and buy a smaller property in Bangkok, apply for a spouse visa and if succesfull live in Australia for 7 months and Thailand 5 months every year, then I won't have any OAP problems.

Mason45

Artisi, how old were you and your wife when she applied for a spouse visa, as we get older do you think age can be a factor, whether a spouse visa is issued or not. I'm 63 yo now and my wife is 52 yo, we were legally married in Bangkok, on previous hoilday visa applications the Australian Embassy staff always demanded that we produce our wedding photos and when I told them that we never had a Buddhist Wedding or a party that follows consequently there's no photos they got rather stroppy, I thought a wedding certificate was accepted in every country of the World, why do I have to prove my relationship even though I'm legally married. Proof of relationship was really brought about by Buddhist weddings which are really defacto by foreign law where there's no documents or legal binding. I think it maybe better for us to sell up and buy a smaller property in Bangkok, apply for a spouse visa and if succesfull live in Australia for 7 months and Thailand 5 months every year, then I won't have any OAP problems.

You'd think so, wouldn't you, though with the amount of skepticism in DIMA (or whatever it's called now), one wonders. Is your wedding certificate an Australian one?

This is an important topic. Any one here who is in this situation should contact their federal member of parliament - I've spoken to Linsay Tanner - and put pressure on them. If enough people do this something will be done. Another one is the Disability Pension - only paid overseas for 13 weeks - as Tanner said it seems to be a waste of time to return to Australia show your passport to a CL officer, then ring or go in the next day to tell them you are leaving again.

l was on a disability pension ,,, had been for 6 years ,,, then in August last year they suspended it , ( l have been living here on and off for 2 years ,, more on than off ),, l was going back every 13 weeks ,,, cost me half the pension to do that ,,, the decision stinks and as yet l have done nothing about it ,, l have no income from Aus or LOS ,,,, l think that for the taxes l paid for 40 years ,,, they could show a bit of sympathy ,,,, sorry not much to do with the original thread

cheers

egg

Mason45

You'd think so, wouldn't you, though with the amount of skepticism in DIMA (or whatever it's called now), one wonders. Is your wedding certificate an Australian one?

If I were to walk out on my current wife and refused to divorce her and returned to Australia and married another woman I would be charged with bigamy, my relationship with my first wife would be taken for granted, talk about double standards.

l was on a disability pension ,,, had been for 6 years ,,, then in August last year they suspended it , ( l have been living here on and off for 2 years ,, more on than off ),, l was going back every 13 weeks ,,, cost me half the pension to do that ,,, the decision stinks and as yet l have done nothing about it ,, l have no income from Aus or LOS ,,,, l think that for the taxes l paid for 40 years ,,, they could show a bit of sympathy ,,,, sorry not much to do with the original thread

cheers

egg

Yes, slightly off topic, but still very intresting, and it does invole centrelink.

I know of one chap that was doing similar to egg, but was cut off after 4 years. Whilst another chap I know has been here for 9 years on disibility, without returning to Oz once. He had been on disibilty in Oz for 5 years prior to comming here and just didnt tell them when he left.

Its all about DATA MATCHING.......... :o

My knowledge about this is limited, but I beleive that centrelink use a private company for this work. The percentage of people checked varies from one source to another.

I may be eligable for the OAP in about 15 years time.........so maybe it would be a good idea to start canvessing local members now !!!!

cheers

egg

Yes, slightly off topic, but still very intresting, and it does invole centrelink.

I know of one chap that was doing similar to egg, but was cut off after 4 years. Whilst another chap I know has been here for 9 years on disibility, without returning to Oz once. He had been on disibilty in Oz for 5 years prior to comming here and just didnt tell them when he left.

Its all about DATA MATCHING.......... :o

My knowledge about this is limited, but I beleive that centrelink use a private company for this work. The percentage of people checked varies from one source to another.

I may be eligable for the OAP in about 15 years time.........so maybe it would be a good idea to start canvessing local members now !!!!

I've just sent an email to Nicola Roxon the Federal Member for the electorate where my Australian home is, she is a Minister in the Labour Government and whilst this issue doesn't come under her portfolio I asked her if she could pass my email on to the appropiate department for consideration, if I get a reply I will pass on the information.

Mason45

Mason45

I really feel for your predicament and understand the frustration - same as when I applied for permanent residency in Thailand - if you want to get involved in something unfathonable give that a try sometime. I had what I thought was all the necessary documents, etc etc - but sorry no way - just couldn't generate enough (points) to be considered beyond the first stage.

As for my wife's visa for Aust. I was 63 and she was 33 at the time - we have been married approx 4 years and had known each other for 2 years prior to our wedding in Thailand. We had to produce letters going back to before we were married, photo's, a statement of our realationship etc etc., 2 things that may have helped are that we had travelled to Australia once - wife on student visa and had also travelled to the UK - plus she a unviversity lecturer with a masters degree.

However, I agree with you completly - if you are legally married there shouldn't be any reason why your wife isn't issued with a visa (the first visa is a temporary one valid for 2 years after which you need to re-apply for the full permanent visa- this just means reproducing virtually the same documentation.

I would keep at it - plus there should be a formal rejection presented to you to which I think you have the right of reply.

:D This topic has been brilliant and very informative,but I think that what it all boils down too is !!which muppet you talk to in Centrelink on the day, and what type of mood they are in!! as far as the staff in hobart are concerned, they are quite capable of cocking things up too :o just imagine being legally entitled to 3 aged pensions or parts thereof, plus an army pension, you can imagine the mountains of paper work and interviews required by centrelink, we have persevered and got used to the fact that as soon as we step on a plane isaanbound , we will be invited down to centrelink for a chat, just persevere folks, failing that, telling them to go forth and multiply or words to that effect helps too :D Nignoy

Mason45

If you served in Vietnam you should be applying to DVA not CL - the rules are different there.

Hope everyone has contacted their federal member b y now When they intended to cut off the former widow's pension just over 1,000 objections to Mp's stopped the change.

Mason45

If you served in Vietnam you should be applying to DVA not CL - the rules are different there.

Hope everyone has contacted their federal member b y now When they intended to cut off the former widow's pension just over 1,000 objections to Mp's stopped the change.

Thanks for the reminder. I've just written to Arch Bevis, Member for Brisbane, as a result.

Hi ,,, does anyone know who is the minister for "centrelink" ,,,,, a bit brain dead ,,, cant even think what portfolio it comes under :o

cheers

egg

Try Senator Joe Ludwig Minister for Human Services

thanks for that Xangsamhua ,,, will give it a shot and see what happens

cheers

egg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ,,, does anyone know who is the minister for "centrelink" ,,,,, a bit brain dead ,,, cant even think what portfolio it comes under :o

cheers

egg

Try Senator Joe Ludwig Minister for Human Services

thanks for that Xangsamhua ,,, will give it a shot and see what happens

cheers

egg

I sent two emails in the last ten days, one to Nicola Roxon and the other to Joe Ludwig so far no response which hardly surprises me.