First Extension Of A Non-o-visa

Somebody enlighten me and maybe others. Here I read a nice story by Daffy D and Sunbelt. But why is it hard to get a first extension of a Non-O-Visa for this guy?

American, in his late forties, legally married (registered) to a Thai, Income letter from his Embassy well over the required THB 40K per month and paperwork as documented in above story on hand.

The application was based solely on the marriage and the THB 40K (no child support). Neither I nor this nice American fellow can understand why his application has not been approved right away and I now ask you: Was it a mistake that they brought along their little baby? Or what else may have gotten wrong that Immigration insisted and sent this family all the way back home to get the birth certificate of their child?

This is not a made-up story, but I learned about at an immigration office nearby the other day.

…This is not a made-up story, but I learned about at an immigration office nearby the other day.

If you ask me, I think it is futile to discuss a hearsay story on this forum.

Anyway, no extensions of stay for the reason of living with Thai wife is ever approved on the spot. The applicant always has to go back to the immigration office for a second visit, usually one month later, upcountry sometimes even a for a third or fourth visit, to get the one-year extension.

--

Maestro

Income letter from his Embassy well over the required THB 40K per month

Where does he mention any Embassy letter or income? All I see is he has no savings to use the normal method and must use the over 50 stay with child provision (which is a new option that was previously not available). Obviously if you are using that provision the birth certificate naming you as the father will be an absolute requirement. Did you by any change provide the wrong reference?

Thank you Maestro and lopburi3.

This matter still remains mysterious to me and I just want to understand why immigration insisted on that birth certificate, a paper which in my opinion was actually not needed as he did not need to apply based on child support.

I met this guy for the very first time at immigration and talked with him before and after his presenting the application. I did not provide or advice anything at all. As I do not believe in hearsay stories I wanted to see his passport, his Embassy income letter, the marriage paperwork and the application itself and could not see anything wrong. Again he applied based on his marriage to a Thai and showed more than the required amount in form of an Embassy Income letter.

If you are talking about Daffy his posting says he did apply for living with child, being over age 50.

Edit:

Just a word of thanks to Sunbelt again this year for helping with my 1 year visa extension.

Since the new regulations a couple of years ago a quick trip down to Penang does not work anymore and as I have no money left in the bank can only get a visa as I am over 50 and have a Thai child.

If you are talking about Daffy his posting says he did apply for living with child, being over age 50.

Edit:

Just a word of thanks to Sunbelt again this year for helping with my 1 year visa extension.

Since the new regulations a couple of years ago a quick trip down to Penang does not work anymore and as I have no money left in the bank can only get a visa as I am over 50 and have a Thai child.

A question in this context,

but first the facts:

I (54 yo) am legally married to a Thai for close to 15 years, have 13yo son (Thai national with Thai BC and PP). Been on same Non-Imm-O since 1998 with annual extensions, the last three of which were based on bank deposit only, though Imm is aware that I have WP and income, they were not interested in documentation in this regard.

Also have all docs to go the combined 40k income route if the grandfathered bank deposit option should be closed at short notice.

Now my question:

Based on the above quoted post (and Police order No.606/2549 Para 7.17 (4)+(5)) I should be able to obtain an extension solely based on the fact that I have a Thai child without any financial documentation being required.

1) Is this correct?

2) or does Para 7.17 (6) exclude me from this option?

My renewal is due In May and I like to be armed with all possible options I have.

I'm aware that if I exit the grandfathered bank deposit route I won't be able to use this again.

opalhort

You would apply under section 5 rather than 6 and hope that immigration allowed the application. I believe others have been in you position and have been able to use para 5. My own take would be to keep the 400k open if it is not a problem and use other methods only as a fallback. For most of us it is good to have an account easily available large enough to take care of a serious hospital stay in any case.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes Lopburi, you're right. At least for now the deposit route (if they don't change their mind) is the way to go.

Bank deposit is no problem. As you say an emergency Acct is needed here and though slow but sure (due to low interest rates) it's approaching the 1M mark.

Only like to know what options I have just in case.

opalhort