Chaing Khong Border Crossing

tracyann

I want to cross the border from thailand into Loas in Chiang Khong'

I have a large motorcycle.

Does anyone know what kind of boat they use to cross-over into Loas.

Thanks

Tracy

Generally you cross with the cars and trucks on a large ferry. If you are in a hurry, you can hire a longtail boat but it is pretty shaky. Also, the Customs office is closed on weekends so must cross on a weekday.

Agree, go to GT-Rider, all the info and photos is there.

I want to cross the border from thailand into Loas in Chiang Khong'

I have a large motorcycle.

Does anyone know what kind of boat they use to cross-over into Loas.

Thanks

Tracy

Generally you cross with the cars and trucks on a large ferry. If you are in a hurry, you can hire a longtail boat but it is pretty shaky. Also, the Customs office is closed on weekends so must cross on a weekday.

Agree, go to GT-Rider, all the info and photos is there.

Can always save a bit of money and float it across ! :o

post-41326-1200231919_thumb.jpg

+2 on recommending the GT-rider sight for bike information in southeast asia.

Also Silverhawks advice on the ferry is sage advice. I crossed in the longtail boats loaded with two dualsport dirt bikes since I was too impatient to wait for the ferry and it was wobbling too and fro so much I thought we would end up on the bottom of the Mekong before reaching the other side. After 30 yards they ended up sending out a second boat to steady our craft. Take the ferry if you can.

Classic photo Mike.

+2 on recommending the GT-rider sight for bike information in southeast asia.

Also Silverhawks advice on the ferry is sage advice. I crossed in the longtail boats loaded with two dualsport dirt bikes since I was too impatient to wait for the ferry and it was wobbling too and fro so much I thought we would end up on the bottom of the Mekong before reaching the other side. After 30 yards they ended up sending out a second boat to steady our craft. Take the ferry if you can.

Classic photo Mike.

We put 4 bikes in 4 longtail bikes from the laos border to stung treng in cambodia, the guys were racing and it was real scary stuff,in and out of narrow waters with branches smacking me on the body, i kept my helmet on ! great fun :o