Malaria Pills

Billfo

Hi,

I'll be going to Vietnam in March and I was thinking about buying some malaria pills in Thailand rather than paying through the nose for them here in the UK. I was wondering if anyone knew if they are good or of the same standard in Thailand than here in the UK. And if anyone knows the rough cost, that would be great.

Thank you!

Hi,

I'll be going to Vietnam in March and I was thinking about buying some malaria pills in Thailand rather than paying through the nose for them here in the UK. I was wondering if anyone knew if they are good or of the same standard in Thailand than here in the UK. And if anyone knows the rough cost, that would be great.

Thank you!

I'm sure the standard of the drugs is no different, but the standard of advice you receive in your own country may be better and more understandable than over here - and a key consideration is whether you should take them at all. It's any area you need to research as I understand some anti- malarial drugs are associated with disturbing mental side effects.

I don't know but am pretty sure that contracting malaria is not the main problem per se, it's more a case of not doing anything about it when you think you might have it. But please sound this out with a health professional.

Hopefully a moderator can help.

As has been pointed out taking malaria pills my not be worth the trouble. Last I heard malaria was resistant to all but the latest strongest medicine but this has can have very bad reaction in some people.

I have been in Thailand for over 10 years have traveled to Malaysia and Cambodia and have never taken any malaria pills. Have not had malaria either.

Not an answer to your question but taking normal precautions cover up and use repellant should be adequate.

Daffy

:o

Unless you are going to be out in the jungle at night your risk of contacting malaris is EXTREMELY low. Most of the preventive drugs will not in any case work in this part of the world, altho docs back ghome -- and even expert web sites like the CDC -- may suggest otherwise.

My advice is to take nothing and just try to minimize mosquito bites via long sleeves and insect repellent. This will also protect against Debnngue which unlike malaria you can quite easily get, even in the cities.

If you do want to take anything, doxycline makes the most sense and is readily available over the counter in Thailand, Cambodia and Viet nam. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Even if you do take doxy, still need to try to prevent mosquito bites. Doxy will not protect against dengie (nothinbg will other than avoiding being bitten).

It also will not protect against Japanese b encephalitis, another mosquito borne disease. Jap B is osty prevealnet in rural areas. there is a vaccine for it.

Unless you are going to be out in the jungle at night your risk of contacting malaris is EXTREMELY low. Most of the preventive drugs will not in any case work in this part of the world, altho docs back ghome -- and even expert web sites like the CDC -- may suggest otherwise.

My advice is to take nothing and just try to minimize mosquito bites via long sleeves and insect repellent. This will also protect against Debnngue which unlike malaria you can quite easily get, even in the cities.

If you do want to take anything, doxycline makes the most sense and is readily available over the counter in Thailand, Cambodia and Viet nam. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Even if you do take doxy, still need to try to prevent mosquito bites. Doxy will not protect against dengie (nothinbg will other than avoiding being bitten).

It also will not protect against Japanese b encephalitis, another mosquito borne disease. Jap B is osty prevealnet in rural areas. there is a vaccine for it.

A very sound posting in my opinion. What happens if somebody does feel they are in the early stages of malaria. What should they do? and what is the prognosis?

A very sound posting in my opinion. What happens if somebody does feel they are in the early stages of malaria. What should they do? and what is the prognosis?

doxycline has very bad side effects in some people (painfull puss filled blisters between the digits) unless prescribed by a doctor stay well clear!

if you cover up well you should be ok

if you feel the need to take proflacsis be warned it doesnt stop malaria only lessens the severity of it only cure is huge doses of quinnine or herbal drugs like artesunate (china )

believe me when i say cover up you would'nt want malaria ! first time knocks you sideways for a week and you think the world is falling out of your ar#e

doxycline has very bad side effects in some people (painfull puss filled blisters between the digits) unless prescribed by a doctor stay well clear!

if you cover up well you should be ok

if you feel the need to take proflacsis be warned it doesnt stop malaria only lessens the severity of it only cure is huge doses of quinnine or herbal drugs like artesunate (china )

believe me when i say cover up you would'nt want malaria ! first time knocks you sideways for a week and you think the world is falling out of your ar#e

For sure prescription only, but the side effects only happen to a small minority surely? I don't think this invalidates the use of a very useful drug tried and tested widely for a number of ailments. I think the advice is a bit OTT here.

Does doxycycline mitigate the disease once you've got it? or is it only to be used as a temporary as a preventer?

I took anti-malarial pills on my first visit to Thailand (I was over cautious)

My travel partner and I both stopped the treatment after feeling the side effects....hard to describe, but a general feeling of being ill...disconnected..dizzy...trance like. :D:o:D

Get a good repellent which contains DEET, and skip the pills.

I took anti-malarial pills on my first visit to Thailand (I was over cautious)

My travel partner and I both stopped the treatment after feeling the side effects....hard to describe, but a general feeling of being ill...disconnected..dizzy...trance like. :D :D :D

Get a good repellent which contains DEET, and skip the pills.

:o

Two years ago I was traveling to Kenya and it was recommended that I take malaria pills (I live in Bangkok). I visited two major hospitals in Bangkok and neither offered them - advice was that the side effects are not worth the risk. I could not find them at a pharmacy either. Repellent with DEET was the recommended alternative.

Hi,

Thank you!

I've purchased quinine sulfate for a friend in the US. (She uses it to alleviate chronic leg pain and claims it is the only drug that works well.)

The tablets cost 3 baht apiece and can be found at selected pharmacies.

Hi,

Thank you!

I've purchased quinine sulfate for a friend in the US. (She uses it to alleviate chronic leg pain and claims it is the only drug that works well.)

The tablets cost 3 baht apiece and can be found at selected pharmacies.

fair enough, but I'm not sure what the point is regarding malaria.

I too took Malaria tablets before going to Kenya, if i remember rightly i'd to take them for 2 weeks before, then during the holiday, then for 2 weeks on my return. I felt really crappy most of the time while taking them. As it turned out it was all for nothing anyway, 5 weeks after returning and numerous visits to the doctors, blood tests and ultra sound test i was diagnosed with P.Falciparum . A junior doctor had told me 5 days after my return that i couldn't possibly have Malaria as i'd taken the tablets. I was rushed into the tropical disease isolation ward where i spent the next 2 weeks. So as far as i'm concerned they're a waste of time! As already stated the best thing to do is prevent being bitten, cover up, wear sprays and sleep under a net at night. Not that i think you'll have the same problems in Vietnam, i've been twice there and didn't even think about Malaria.

Doxycycline, if you chose to take it (which I personally would not) is only preventive. If you actually get (or suspect you have gotten) malaruia, go immediately to a clinic or hospital for a blood test to confirm and appropriate treatment. The blood test will not only tell whether or not you have malaria but also which kind, as there is more than one type and treatment varies.

Doxycycline, if you chose to take it (which I personally would not) is only preventive. If you actually get (or suspect you have gotten) malaruia, go immediately to a clinic or hospital for a blood test to confirm and appropriate treatment. The blood test will not only tell whether or not you have malaria but also which kind, as there is more than one type and treatment varies.

I had 4 blood tests over as many weeks and none showed any signs of Malaria, it wasn't until the sporozoites had multiplied into enough of my blood that they were able to detect it.The first signs were of recurrent episodes of high fever .

Hi,

Thank you!

Its pretty bad advice to listen to the advice of people who are not qualified to give the right advice...so my advice is to talk to a doctor...I travel a lot to Thailand, and my neighbour, who is a qualified Nurse, asked me to buy her a years supply of Doxycyclin, as she was going on relief work in Kenya...she said its not foolproof using Doxy, but it gives better protection than no protection, and as for side effects...its only for a minority of people.

I shopped around for her and got the Doxy at 5 baht per tablet, considerably cheaper than back in the UK...the drugs are ofetn made under licence for the bigger Pharma companies, and should therefore be safe

happy travelling...PS..my neighbour has e mailed me regularly, to say that people over in her village in Kenya, are dropping like flies with Malaria, but she is so far OK, so i suppose its some testimony for Doxy

UK Health System & Canadian Gov Health site both recommend Doxycyline in South East Asia problem areas(Not required in most parts of Thailand)

It is both a preventative and cure if pills proper course is taken.

Like any other drug some people experience side effects but I have never had a problem

Again like antibiotics it is important that the full course is completed (1 month after leaving the malarial area )

The Canadian Gov. link will turn up loads of information on use and possible side effects,( but remember malaria can kill )

Doxy can be purchased over the counter fom Boots and other pharmacists in Thailand very cheaply

Edited by agudbuk