Where Has The Excitement Gone?

garro

I just got back from a six week holiday in Ireland.

My wife and I had a nice time and our new baby liked the attention of a whole new group of admirers.

It is good to be back in Thailand, but I noticed that the usual excitement at coming back in LOS wasn't there this time.

I previously would be like a child on Christmas eve, waiting on Santa, on my trip back

This time it was just a trip to get out of the way.

I suppose after living here for a few years this is to be expected.

What about you guys?

Do you still get excited returning to Thailand?

My wife and I had a nice time and our new baby liked the attention of a whole new group of admirers.

It is good to be back in Thailand, but I noticed that the usual excitement at coming back in LOS wasn't there this time.

I previously would be like a child on Christmas eve, waiting on Santa, on my trip back

What about you guys?

the average midlife crisis lasts 5 years and occurs between the ages of 35 and 45 and maybe yours is ending, welcome to adulthood

What about you guys?

the average midlife crisis lasts 5 years and occurs between the ages of 35 and 45 and maybe yours is ending, welcome to adulthood

Well if that's what it is and your calculations are correct then I still have a couple of years to go, as I am only 38 :o

What about you guys?

I think we all become complacent after a while, its not new anymore, we are not looking forward to the same things we were when we were single :o ,i remember coming over when i was single and as soon as i got off the plane i would feel 25 years younger and would almost run to the carousel,now its just another shitty day in paradise :D

What about you guys?

hav'nt left thailand in 12 years ,going to the uk in march ,will let you know when i get back :o

hav'nt left thailand in 12 years ,going to the uk in march ,will let you know when i get back :o

Went back for 10 days last year, first time in 13 years. In truth, I wasn't looking forward to going back to the UK but I actually quite enjoyed it.

I can confirm it was good to come back to Thailand though.

What about you guys?

Good to see you back, garro. :o

I've been through the same stages as you describe, and agree with those above who say it is because you feel you are returning home to 'normal' as opposed to going to some new and exciting place.

I am always happy to return......until I get off the plane and see the grumpy immigration officer and stare into his silly little camera (hoping I don't appear on the nightly news), but once that's over my excitement returns....a little. Then I get caught in the usual traffic if I am being picked up by a friend, or the hassle of a taxi driver who really knows a much better place for me to go than home. By the time I get home, it's 'Oh sh*t, I am back.' But then the dog starts barking and wagging his tail and she's so happy to see me she almost pees on the floor and then I am happy, at least someone is glad!

I am never excited at going home after a good vacation, why would it matter what country it is?

Having been on overseas assignments in several different countires for the past 10 years, to me, home is wherever we are together and it certainly helps that the company is paying the rent. To worry that just because your legal status is considered year to year, is no reason to not think where you live is home.

Even if [when] I was to retire to Thailand and have to pay my own way, I would still think of it as home as long we are living together.

TH

I remember my first trip back to UK after living in Thailand a year. The UK was good mainly because I was just visiting but I found people hadn't really moved on and were still concerned with the same trifles as when I left. Next return was some ten years later and again the same feelings but even more so, nothing changes. Both trips my return to Thailand was not marked by the same exitement as my first. I put it down to a feeling of familiarity but once I was back in the routine I just used to remind myself "what would you prefer, the 07:05 Farnborough to Reading rail service or a quick drive up the road to Ao Udom?" No matter what your situation nor where you live in the world we are creatures of habit and routine.

I'm not in Thailand right now but even on my frequent return visits there's no exitement as such. I know where I am going, I know roughly who I'll meet, I know the sort of things we'll discuss and I know what I'll be doing. I still enjoy it but have long lost the wide eyed first timer feeling. In a way that is a good thing as I can see through the first layers ET refers to.

Garro, I don't know how long you've lived in Thailand but I see most people falling off their 'pink cloud' at between 1 and 3 years here. Many get some kind of weird feelings around 5 years, which is mostly a feeling of missing home and not knowing where home is. Personally I got pissed off with this country at 3 years, had a great experience at 5 then a few years later got a bit fed up again, had a trip home and got things into perspective.

As for mid life crises, I don't know.

Thing occur in 7 year intervals/cycles. I'm just starting 42-49 which is very different from the others.

Garro, I don't know how long you've lived in Thailand but I see most people falling off their 'pink cloud' at between 1 and 3 years here. Many get some kind of weird feelings around 5 years, which is mostly a feeling of missing home and not knowing where home is. Personally I got pissed off with this country at 3 years, had a great experience at 5 then a few years later got a bit fed up again, had a trip home and got things into perspective.

As for mid life crises, I don't know.

Thing occur in 7 year intervals/cycles. I'm just starting 42-49 which is very different from the others.

Well I have lived here for six years now. Although I probably need to be careful as use of the word 'lived' may upset the same posters who object to the word 'home' by those of us without Thai citizenship. I have been here on non-immigrant 'O' visa so I am probably still considered a tourist. Anyway, I don't really feel the need to debate the use of words. I don't care what I'm called. Although I have never had a Thai object to my using the term.

Regardless of the legal implications, one feels what one feels.

I couldn't agree more. The curmudgeons can say what they like, but it's the experience that counts. Over a decade before I got PR I passed a point where I just knew Thailand was my home, that I would do whatever it took to stay and I'd do whatever it took to come back if they kicked me out. The fact that I wasn't legally secure didn't alter my feeling that Thailand was home - in fact it was a major factor in making me determined to stay, no matter what happens.

Welcome to the grinding mill!

make a change, do different tasks, go for a walk, explore new things, do something interesting!

Get off the hook, the loop, name it!

if you think the skies fall on to your head, walk on your hands!

I’m of the opinion that the earlier 'excitement' I felt on moving to Thailand and those early trips back to Thailand after home R&R has been replaced by 'understanding and a rather comforting familiarity'.

And I don't consider that a bad thing.

There's plenty of evidence that others move form 'excitement' to 'entrenched ignorance' - blissful as that may seem, it’s not a state of existence I regard as desirable.

What about you guys?

I think the excitement on returning disappeared after I got my first 9-5 job here. Prior to that I felt like a tourist or a world traveller and it was always exciting arriving at Don Muang. My first 9-5 job took a lot of the excitement out of hitting the bars too. I mean, who wants to hit the bars at 7pm and be in bed by 10pm? Ugh!

What about you guys?

I think the excitement on returning disappeared after I got my first 9-5 job here. Prior to that I felt like a tourist or a world traveller and it was always exciting arriving at Don Muang. My first 9-5 job took a lot of the excitement out of hitting the bars too. I mean, who wants to hit the bars at 7pm and be in bed by 10pm? Ugh!

I have never lived here. I have only been here on holiday for about 10 times. It was exciting at first. But now it is the other way round. I feel very relaxed and am much calmer than I am here in HK when I am there.

Edited by meemiathai

Regardless of the legal implications, one feels what one feels.

I couldn't agree more. The curmudgeons can say what they like, but it's the experience that counts. Over a decade before I got PR I passed a point where I just knew Thailand was my home, that I would do whatever it took to stay and I'd do whatever it took to come back if they kicked me out. The fact that I wasn't legally secure didn't alter my feeling that Thailand was home - in fact it was a major factor in making me determined to stay, no matter what happens.

Well said. I enjoyed the trip back home to my country of birth, but I don't plan on living anywhere other than Thailand. I have been allowed to stay here up until this time and a Thai national has never complained to me calling it 'home'. It is only the occasional westerner who seems to object to the use of this term.